Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Updated my nvidia drivers the other day and now in the diplomacy screen, the other nations' character have a flickering black grid over their character model. There seem to be no other graphical glitches in the game but this. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm not sure if this is yet another directx 12 problem or what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Noticed expansion packs for Civ VI on sale on steam, wondering if any are worth considering, all of them seem to get mixed reviews overall.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Levin posted:

Noticed expansion packs for Civ VI on sale on steam, wondering if any are worth considering, all of them seem to get mixed reviews overall.

I'd say mixed is right, the good parts like new civs and modes are balanced by the fact the AI can't really use the new modes. Thread consesus is they make playing on harder difficulties easier.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Having extra civs is excellent and totally worth it. There are so many new ways to break stuff. Especially at such a steep discount

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Most of the new modes are fun but they do make the game a lot easier. Barb Nations and Heroes give you a lot of ways to counter the extra units the ai gets at hard difficulty, also more city states = more good. Secret Societies makes things a bit easier but the AI can handle it better, plus it changes diplomacy dynamics. Monopolies is basically a win button and really needs balanced because its has a lot of cool ideas in it.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I would say enabling secret societies lowers the difficulty one notch, Heroes like two notches by itself, if you get like Hercules or Himiko or early Sinbad or something it's just so insanely strong

But they are fun, I just wish AI wasn't so bad at them

I have not been able to do the auto win thing with monopolies like everyone else seems to be able to, I mean it helps some with culture victories but I've never gotten one that was just insanely fast so I dunno what I'm doing wrong there

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Stefan Prodan posted:

I have not been able to do the auto win thing with monopolies like everyone else seems to be able to, I mean it helps some with culture victories but I've never gotten one that was just insanely fast so I dunno what I'm doing wrong there

Same. Perhaps we are using it wrong

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I'd say mixed is right, the good parts like new civs and modes are balanced by the fact the AI can't really use the new modes. Thread consesus is they make playing on harder difficulties easier.
The different game modes (secret societies/etc.) are kind of take it or leave it. However, if you're talking about expansions I think Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm are pretty necessary. I'd start with those two major expansions, and then later any extra ones if you're jonesing for more content.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Same. Perhaps we are using it wrong

Yeah, I wonder if people are more actively trying to go conquer people around the world to get specific entire monopolies on stuff but it can be pretty difficult to stretch yourself around like that on deity if you aren't already crushing anyway

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Albino Squirrel posted:

The different game modes (secret societies/etc.) are kind of take it or leave it. However, if you're talking about expansions I think Rise and Fall and Gathering Storm are pretty necessary. I'd start with those two major expansions, and then later any extra ones if you're jonesing for more content.

oh yeah I thought about the pass, the first two expansions are must get

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The Barbarian Clans mode is an auto-include for me in every single game of civ since it was released. Its how Barbs should have worked the whole time and I hope its built into the base game for Civ 7

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Glumslinger posted:

The Barbarian Clans mode is an auto-include for me in every single game of civ since it was released. Its how Barbs should have worked the whole time and I hope its built into the base game for Civ 7

Yeah I like that one, the only negative is like the game is definitely a little different when you have say 20 city states at the end instead of 8 and it can get a little weird especially if you have Himiko who just becomes even more of a monster to get

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

The new game modes ultimately give you more options to flex, and new tools to solve problems is always gonna lean in favor of a player who can meta better than an AI can. "Oh, I got an early relic and started near a natural wonder with faith, I should lean into Cults and just juice my entire economy" or "I'm in a safe-ish area with access to coast, rivers, and city states, hello Owls" as examples. Monopolies are honestly most broken in getting the early stages of them online because they can absolutely juice new cities. If you're dominant leaning by mid game, then they'll let you absolutely clean house on culture - otherwise they are just a nice to have. Well, if you get the right combo of goods and lean into it, you can also just go nutty with money or military, or housing, or whatever. But its mostly the early food + production on the first stage of the upgrades.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah I like that one, the only negative is like the game is definitely a little different when you have say 20 city states at the end instead of 8 and it can get a little weird especially if you have Himiko who just becomes even more of a monster to get

When I play with barb clans, I reduce the starting city-states to about half of the normal number for a given map size. You still end up with too many city states sometimes but it helps a lot.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

When I play with barb clans, I reduce the starting city-states to about half of the normal number for a given map size. You still end up with too many city states sometimes but it helps a lot.

I always put it to just one starting city state. It keeps the starting area much more clear and open.

Keith Mars
Nov 28, 2007
Former Sheriff of Balboa County

Stefan Prodan posted:

I loved barb clans initially, but it needs to be tweaked to generate less city states in random rear end in a top hat polar island tiles. The AI doesn't meet them (or at least doesn't seem to pump envoys into them), so it's super easy to cheese and become suzerain of 10+ city states with only 3 envoys a pop. Diplomacy victories become free, the suzerain and city state bonuses can be game changing for such a low cost, golden ages become easier by flipping Amani around and stacking first suzerain bonuses, etc. I've resorted to turning it off because I can't restrain myself from cheesing them and it breaks the game, but I'll try reducing the number of starting city states in my next game and see how that goes.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Traders only have a range of 15-30 tiles to begin with (I think some techs improve this) and can only reach cities within this radius. If a city in this range has a trading post, it can reset this counter and your trader can also reach any city within 15-30 tiles of that city, and if one of those cities also has a trading post, your trader gets to move another 15-30 tiles from that city, et cetera, et cetera.

It's one of those mechanisms that are actually really simple, but the game makes it confusing as hell either on purpose to make the game appear more complex than it actually is, or by accident because nobody bothered to present the information in a reasonable place.
Lmao I have thousands of hours played and countless Deity wins and I still didn't know this. I thought they increased the value of trade routes passing through them by 1 gold. Just yesterday I was wondering why my available trade routes felt so short and thought the the range automatically increased by age or something.

Keith Mars fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 15, 2022

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
if you run lots of mods you have to run this as well to fix the lategame lag:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2040092722

it took me forever to troubleshoot this (turning single mods on and off), gently caress I bought new RAM to fix this (didn't really help)

"The game checks all requirements of all mods when selecting a builder or military engineer, which adds a significant lag late-game."

it clashes with the "Diversity in..." series, but that's a price you should be glad to pay

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
drat, I had a great domination game going with Scythia, I had managed to take out everyone else on my continent and planned to attack the other continent once I could time it with Jet Bombers and Battleships. The other continent had Byzantium, Maya, and China. My economy and science was never great, but I managed to conquer enough to make them respectable, even if I was more than 100 science behind China. I had planned to take out Byzantium first and had arranged most of my forces in the direction, when I got the alert that the Maya were 10 turns from a cultural domination victory. Well gently caress, so I start migrating my bomber fleet across my continent towards the other coast, scrounge up the gold to poo poo out a carrier and then proceed to bomb and pillage my way through the Mayan empire and take the capital. I stop to gather my forces and wait a few turns to get Stealth Bombers when I see China is building GDRs in 4 cities

Ok, well poo poo

Make peace with Maya, make peace with Byzantium, rearrange my forces towards china, get stealth bombers, get my battleships and destroyers near his coast capital, and then I start bombing. After a few turns, policy card refresh happens and I pick the one that gives me +4 attack when fighting against another religion. After picking it, I idly notice that both China and I are Eastern Orthodox in the cities I care about. Ok poo poo, thats a useless policy card, but whatever, I still have this fight. China had been running away with science, so if I can take the capital, I can just go mop up Byzantium for the win.

2 turns later I get the defeat video and start going WTF. I knew China hadn't launched the Mars mission, I had taken enough of the Mayan cities to crush their culture output.

Then I see it

Byzantium won a loving religious victory :catholic:

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 16, 2022

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Always play pangea, it's the only balanced map in Civ6.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pangea gets so goddamn dull after the first few games.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
That's the game itself, not the map type.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I prefer playing with 8 players instead of 6, and pangea is just too drat big. Even if you took to the seas to explore the map (doesn't work most of the time, pangea) you can still miss an entire civ if you don't keep throwing scouts out through the midgame. And six players is just too few to deal with losing a couple to early wars and still having a prosperous endgame opponent.

Continents aren't much better, as you win your isle and then to get see what's been cooking on the other side of the map only after getting half the tech tree. Archipeligo is a good mix of meeting new people as the game goes on, but the AI can't handle the map type at all.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
In Civ4 I've found that Inland Sea works well. It's large, but because of the amount of water it makes it easy/viable to use boats to get to the other side of the world. Of course Civ4 also have some advantages with map generation scripts the option of making the world flat (no x or y axis wrapping) cylindrical (x-axis wrap) or Toroidal (X and Y axis wrapping).

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Inland Sea would be great in civ 6 if it had twice the amount of rivers

I usually play on the Greatest Earth Map from YnaMP or Primordial

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Started playing this a bit again and man it is really hard to win a domination victory on plain Deity, no add-ons

I keep trying Mapuche on Continents, and my goal was to try and like conquer my continent and have a couple cities pumping out ships to conquer the other continent, but I've tried 3 or 4 games in a row and I can't even get my own continent. It's tough to balance units with actually building enough campuses and commercial hubs and builders to be able to keep building more units and upgrading them. In my last game I was doing fine and conquered another civ but then somehow Gandhi was making 500 science a turn out of 8 cities in the 1500s and had a spaceport when I was on 150 science a turn so I just gave up. Have no idea how he did that poo poo without secret societies or anything.

I just keep running into something where even if I do a successful swordsman/ram rush or something, I maybe get a big army, take some cities, even if I build new swordsmen, at some point the crossbowmen come out and I have to hunker down and upgrade everything, and at that point I'm way behind on things like campuses or money or infrastructure and it's hard to catch up again until way later. Plus I have loyalty issues a lot and I dunno if I should just be razing more cities and then backfilling with settlers later once I capture the big cities.

One useful thing I learned that I never knew until this last game:

If you ask an AI to declare war on another civ, then say "what will it take", IT WILL LIE TO YOU

A lot of times they will say it's out of the question but if you just manually offer 1 gold they will accept lol

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 5, 2022

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Been playing a lot more recently. Today I got to drop a Vampire Castle on a desert tile adjacent to both Uluru and Petra....apparently that gives you a 25 yield tile barely past turn 100 :allears:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
That's interesting - does the game give you the yields of the tile under the wonder too? I always assumed not, but I can't see where all the yields come from...

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Marmaduke! posted:

That's interesting - does the game give you the yields of the tile under the wonder too? I always assumed not, but I can't see where all the yields come from...

The yields stay the same unless you destroy and rebuild the castle, so the unaccounted-for yields are from the thing under construction. And the extra faith and culture are presumably from the Uluru bonus applying to the castle itself? Idk if it works that way but Petra must've been built before the castle, so Petra's old yields shouldn't count.

Also you don't have to build vampire castles within your land - there are even better vampire castle spots out there.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Yeah but in this game I needed that to shift to be my primary city because of Rome. Also it's maybe the third time I've chosen the vampire secret society (and the first time actually using the vampires properly). As Persia I was going to go for Domination, but circumstances made me shift my priority to try for a culture victory.

The castle bonus I noticed varies wildly. If I built the castle near my capital it said I would just get +6 on defense. It was only when I moved it into the desert (and I did build Petra first before any castle). When I'm less intoxicated I do want to dig into how that yield came to be from the various bonuses and how they stacked.

Anyway, here's an even more absurd tile I just dropped my next castle on in the Industrial Era:

Since the screenshot didn't catch my mouseover the yields are:
16 Production
10 Culture
16 Gold
6 Faith
17 Food
---------------
65 Total

EDIT: I also haven't used some of these modes that came after secret societies that much before. The Heroes are insane. Maui single-handedly solved all of my morale issues by letting me spam resource spawns just outside of a new city (hence why that desert city has so many gems and ivory and salt). The one that ignores all movement penalties from terrain kept Rome at bay just long enough to survive an early war.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 15, 2022

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It was only things like secret societies and heroes that kept me playing as long as I did, they added a lot of flavour. Ultimately empty calories but fun while they lasted.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Monopolies and Corps are a lot of fun but are hugley imbalanced. You basically need to turn off culture victories if you're playing with that mode.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Has anyone done a game with ALL THE THINGS enabled? Is that ill-advised because it's just too chaotic to play?

I don't know why I'm suddenly re-addicted to this game but it's so many hours of free** entertainment and is oddly helpful with my Jeopardy studying to remember some of the leaders and less-well-known wonders.

(**at least I only paid for it years ago and I feel like at 551 hours and counting I've gotten my money's worth from this game)

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/civilization-6-site-leaks-leaders-pass-dlc-featuring-old-faves-lincoln-and-ramesses-ii

I'm surprised they've lined up another DLC for this game since I figured we were overdue for a sequel announcement. I guess Civ 7 is spending a bit more time in the oven.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hope its a large number of leaders. its kinda sad how much they hyped the leader stuff and have like 5 alternates

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kalko posted:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/civilization-6-site-leaks-leaders-pass-dlc-featuring-old-faves-lincoln-and-ramesses-ii

I'm surprised they've lined up another DLC for this game since I figured we were overdue for a sequel announcement. I guess Civ 7 is spending a bit more time in the oven.

I've been waiting for Civ 7 news but that's probably okay to keep it going a bit longer.

The real pain is dealing with the feature gap between a fresh game and fully-patched behemoth with expansions, though. It would be nice if they popped up a feature roadmap when the next game is pitched to get public if they can't get the majority of features in there at launch.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Does anyone have any tips on fixing freezing issues between turns? Apparently it's because I have an AMD processor, according to other discussions I've found on the issue? I tried picking the game back up, but now every 15-20 minutes it'll just timeout in between turns without actually crashing, and I can't get the screen to switch over to my task manager in order to close the stupid thing so I end up having to restart my computer. It's super annoying.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
Is this why they (Civ VI channel) have been spamming videos on the Shorts tab on YouTube?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Tomorrow

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1592200691958923264

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Ok, just make sure to actually patch the game crashing between turns and you can have my :20bux::20bux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'd have loved if that ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW had spun like spuddy's