Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The White Dragon posted:

I'm still waiting for the one-time deal contact where Renaissance and earlier leaders flip their poo poo about how the stars are moving and the world is about to end after you research Satellites.

It would be pretty cool if applicable civs had different leaders that swapped out in the different eras, each with their own bonuses and agendas.

Probably would be a nightmare to try to balance, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Away all Goats posted:

Being able to capture and use settlers sounds hilariously gamebreaking against the AI. I guess it depends on how well they actually guard them.

IIRC that's the way it worked previous to 5. The warmonger penalties are the counterbalance.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Magil Zeal posted:

This is not correct, in Civ III a captured settler became two workers (when captured by another Civ), or just one worker when captured in Civ IV. At least that's what my Civ III manual and some quick googling to confirm tell me.

Barbarians didn't even "capture" settlers in IV, they just killed them. I think it worked the same in III but I don't recall. Should note that the "warmonger penalty" doesn't apply when the barbarians capture a settler from the AI in VI and you take it from them.

To my knowledge... you could never "capture" settlers from other civilizations and use them for yourself, at least in the main series games. In I/II settlers were just killed in combat like any other unit.

Huh! Welp, my bad. Sorry for the misinformation.

E: I wonder if the diplomatic grudge still exists for not returning a captured civilian. In V didn't not-returning a dude guarantee you'd go to war eventually?

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 16, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ragnar34 posted:

So what are the odds this'll get a demo, so I can find out whether this will run on my comp? I don't have the dedicated RAM for this game, but I've got an integrated card, but it's an a previous generation of i3 so who knows how much processing it can spare??

They had a demo of Civ 5. :ohdear:

There's always the steam 2-hour refund

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Any of you havers using a steam controller? If so, is it decent?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Gort posted:

I wonder if neither of you have any ships, so your navy is equal to his, and he respects that.

:ughh:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Taear posted:

THC is probably mentioning that as a "Why the hell doesn't it work". Because why the hell can't you rename cities.

Maybe the db is keyed on the names or something retarded like that

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The quote for Construction really annoys me. I really hate the direction they took regarding flavor text and quotes in this game.

It's like they let someone's fun aunt pick the quotes.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
+1 Food from desert

Knowledge of irrigation

Big ol' veiny gazongas

+1 Rifleman Movement

Knowledge of bikini

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Is it okay to say 5 is better now or are we still waiting for the magic patch

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

theroachman posted:

Seriously, if this is not the level to which Firaxis themselves have tested their patch then I want to know what they did spend their time on. I think it is reasonable to assume they know about those bugs and it's just a case of them going "good enough, ship it".

People are apparently buying the garbage anyway. Why bother making it good when the franchise name is doing all the work.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Krazyface posted:

You mean like Civ V's Terra map? All the factions start on a sort of Afro-Eurasia, with an empty Americas-analogue on the other side of the world.

It would be cool if cities suffering overwhelming unhappiness due to distance from capitol could band together and revolt and become their own AI-controlled civs instead of just futilely spawning barbarians and failing to produce.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Game sux. 5 still great.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
dare to offer mild criticism of civ vi and be labeled 'dead inside'

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey guys Civ X keeps declaring on me when it is against their own interest, by my analysis. I'm pretty sure it's because of an arbitrary rule built into their AI but it's taking some of the fun out of the game because none of the NPCs are allowed to work toward an achievable victory of their own. It's more like everything is framed to make things artificially difficult for the human in the game.

Oh well, guess I'm just dead inside lol

E: ^^^ haha

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
One of my favorite things to do in civ v is feed military units to the losing sides of wars I'm not involved in. Keep the scrubs fighting with each other for as long as possible and try to keep the power evenly distributed. Help a weaker civ take a stronger civ's city but don't let any one get too powerful.

In my experience, it seems like gifting a unit has no effect on diplomacy with enemies of the recipient civ. Does anybody know if this is true? It's a lot of fun to play this way.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The White Dragon posted:

i'm gonna do this, i don't why i didn't think of it. it sounds exactly like the kind of thing i would do.

IIRC you have to be friendly enough with your giftees for them to allow open borders, so you can walk the gift units onto their territory. Managing friendliness is the main challenge of this strategy. It adds a little depth to the game.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Mymla posted:

It's really stupid that you can't remove districs by any means. Like, really really stupid.

I agree. I also think that it's stupid that you have to choose where to put them. IMO civ didn't need the puzzle minigame element of physically arranging assets in each city. It is more an annoyance than a challenge and it only takes one errant click to irreversibly gently caress up a city's production forever.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Load an autosave.

I just play 5 instead

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Maybe district cost and effectiveness should depend on the production or wealth generation of the city in which it is to be built.

Maybe district cost should be proportional to the builder's relative position to the mean or median advancement of all the players in the game.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 23, 2017

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

LLSix posted:

How is there still no way to start a new game with the same settings as the current one. It's not that hard to save settings or at least implement ctrl-shift-n.

It's because they're working real hard on higher priority issues. Like ten dollar map pack DLCs or something

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Your scouts should have to find orbs that you plug into the web in order to unlock techs, in addition to all other applicable unlock requirements. Or buy an orb for 99¢

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I would prolly play some civ 5 multiplayer if that's a thing

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

kw0134 posted:

So if the game in its current state is charitably rated as "not great" and it may be that an expansion will take a stab at resolving the issues it has, are we expecting that any time soon? It sounds like I should be waiting for a few years for Firaxis to get their act together, here.

If you buy an expansion to this pile, I've got some magic beans you might also consider.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

NorgLyle posted:

Nah.

Even assuming that the player is literal Hitler, declaring war against him when he has so far paid you no attention at all may make some sense but doing so when you have no actual ability to wage the declared war is... baffling.

What possible benefit is there to poking the lion with a stick?

He already answered this question in the post you quoted.
And in your own example, "literally Hitler" was defeated by nations that banded together to defeat his empire, even though he hadn't yet conquered some of them! Imagine that!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So like no matter how many real world analogues we try to find, like "Hey why don't countries that don't recognize Israel just declare permanent war on them like they would in Civ despite it meaning they would get conquered, oh wait, because that's dumb", the reality is that within a game about expanding and exploiting, having a computer roleplaying a peaceful city building game and getting super, super mad that you are doing anything but generally goes against the theme of the game. Like Civ 4, a game modeling the same scenario as Civ 5, managed to do it without warmonger penalties.

So no, warmonger penalties are not an innate thing to civ, and they're not required by historical ~verisimilitude~ they were a gameplay element added to Civ 5 because of the heavy roleplay theme that game has. It may be a roleplaying you like, or it may be that you find it appealing. Congratulations, that's the target audience they were going for. For other people though, these interactions are jarring and shallow, and no matter how many real world examples you give or why you feel it makes sense, other people will always be underwhelming to have an AI that simply hates you for playing the game since that undercuts diplomacy.

I agree that the system isn't perfect, or maybe not even good. I just thought it was retarded to frame the response as 'why should an AI have any strategic perspective or try to fight for its own existence or its interests when it would probably lose'

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No I get that. But the complaints against it are in the form of "Why is this really simplified, super jarring, really elaborate system of *Animated enemy leader contacts you, pouting and huffing, calling you an rear end in a top hat and declares war*" in the game when it seems to kneecap diplomacy and expansion and is also really weird and somewhat cartoonish?"

And it was something new added to Civ 5 and has sort of become a permanent fixture, sure wouldn't mind if emo roleplaying civ leaders was absolutely not a feature of Civ 7 . Why are they contacting me? I don't need to hear the computer's opinion on my gameplay, ever.

I agree. I remember when I came across some analysis of AI behavior in 5 that revealed facts like "if you break a promise to stop settling near an AI, that AI is 100% likely to declare later in the game" and of course the AI never tells you that is the reason why they're declaring.

The only thing that lent the diplomacy system any credibility was that there was a whole book of rules never shown to the player. It gave the dev plausible deniability about the shittiness of the system.

"How should it work?" is a really tough question, imo

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I guess that means it's time for EA to buy Paradox

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
They should have just made him silently actually take advantage of the naval benefit his civ is supposed to have. Same with all the others.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Been a while since I checked up on civ vi and I'm not seeing goonpinions on the latest update. Is this poo poo worth playing yet? Is the AI still entirely incompetent and annoying?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

homullus posted:

Are you unwilling to read the page you're posting on?

Yes

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'mma assume it still sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Man I forgot all about castle building. That was a much better minigame than city tile building micromanagement.