Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Harmonia posted:

Ok there's this german video on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VvGkRTieQ&t=621s

No way I'm gonna listen to that, but I've gathered from some forums that:

Civ VI will have less technologies, around 50, but it will be "compensated by some system they can't talk about yet."
Roads will form by caravans travelling trade routes
Engineer may build roads for your soldiers

We just need more info now, anyway I'm glad they let Ed Beach loose on this one.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The tech rate will be heavily influenced by availability of appropriate resources. Naval techs will take a long time if you are landlocked.

I hope populations will be mobile. No reason to suck it down while an artificial cooldown prevents a taken city from expanding.

Yeah, that ties in with one of their stated main goals. They want to move away from an game dynamic where there's basically one mathematically optimised ideal build/action order that will carry you to victory. They want to make sure there's much more variety between one round and the next, with your circumstances having a greater effect on your overall playstyle and development.

Another big thing from that interview was that they're planning to allow two units to stack per tile each. So armies will still need to maneuver around, but it's not quite as cramped anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

webmeister posted:

If we don't get South Sudan or Timor-Leste I'm gunna be fuckin pissed

Luxembourg or bust. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

Why stop at just the women?

Actually just mod out all graphics. Text-based interface only, gimme those tables. :colbert:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

If you wanna get really technical, George Washington was born a british citizen and not a proper american. Obviously a terrible fit as the leader of the US back in V. :v:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

oh my lord, i don't know if i should even copy paste that one...

Have a link to this bad boy

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14373575&postcount=328

TLDR; instead of de Medici, an Italian wife who struggled to keep France together and contributing to tis prolems, the leader of France ought to be Cardinal Richelieu, a self-made man who structurally modernised France and then made it into Europe’s most powerful country. Switching leaders would be historically accurate, would make sense, would fit into France’s gameplay, would be easily done by Firaxis and would also increase the meme potential.

If anything it should be Louis XIV, just because it would be hilarious to declare war on France only to see this motherfucker pop up on your screen:

No hat, but the best hair. :allears:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Another factor is that you're unlikely to be able to "fulfill" all of the AI civ's agendas at the same time. Several of them seem to require you to go into wholly different directions, and I wouldn't be surprised if some were outright mutually exclusive. So some AIs might like you by default, but at the same time others will probably also dislike you as well. In that sense, it's actually not all that different to a bunch of human players. You might be able to play nice with some of them, perhaps because you have aligning short-term goals or just because you get along well with the player, but others will probably be more wary of you because you're in a threatening position, or perhaps just because they think you're kind of a dick.

So in a way, the agenda system just replicates such a system of semi-natural faction alignments and power blocks. It just does so in a somewhat more flavourful way, rather than basing it purely on strategical factors.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Have they said anything about the effects of the cassus belli system in multiplayer? Like it doesn't matter much who or when I war against in multiplayer, unless there's some sort of ingame effects since obviously players dont use a diplomacy system.

I could see the whole casus belli thing interact with the war weariness system for MP games. Starting an unjustified war giving the attacker more weariness faster, while the defender gets less, that sort of thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

Someone went through and wrote out the city state bonuses that they could see in various livestreams. Geneva is OP as all hell.

La Venta looks hilarious. Gonna scatter giant heads all over the place.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Augh, watching some of these LPs is so frustrating. Like that one guy running after barbarian scouts and complaining he can never catch them while at the same time never realising his archers have range 2 and could have shot them to death ages ago. Or one hour in still not understanding how the new movement rules and zones of control works, but never once just looking it up in the Civopedia or something. That's the kind of stuff that even my incompetent rear end has figured out just from looking at the UI and watching like half a dev stream.

Edit: Jesus Christ now he's wondering why he can't finalise a diplomatic deal when it says right at the top of the screen that the other side won't accept it. :negative:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Sep 30, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Human Crouton posted:

It is always the worst players who happen to get a game early. I remember being excited about a game a few years ago, and watching a stream from one guy who managed to get it a day early. He lost half his life just looking around the screen while he stood in a fire. These streams seem to be the strategy game equivalent of that.

Most of these streams are really bad except for Marbozir. I wish he would release his content faster. Other than him, it's mostly people pretending to over analyze the board state because they're scared to allow the game to proceed.

Yeah, I've gone through quite a few streamers searching for another good one. Writing Bull seems pretty good if you happen to speak german. He's a little prone to rambling on, but it's generally pretty funny and pleasant. I tried to watch FilthyRobot because he's got so much put out already, but he's just such a dense motherfucker.

:downs:: "I built this encampment but I don't really know what it does. What does it do? What does it do?! I can't find it!"
*Mouses over the encampment's button several times but never checks the tooltip.*
*Opens up civopedia, clicks through half a dozen random articles, pointedly ignoring the ones concerning Districts, Encampments, or Citizen Management.*

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I stand corrected then, I wasn't able to view the video at that time. It would also be weird if they bribed every other Civ into declaring war, but there you are.

Pretty darned weird whatever the circumstance.

Could just be that they've made the AI more opportunistic and reactionary, particularly early on when warmonger penalties aren't a thing yet. So that could have lead to a snowballing effect where one civ saw the player as an easy target due to already being a war and declared, then the next one saw him as an even easier target because he's in a 2v1 war and declares, then the next one jumps in because now it's a 3v1, and so on until everyone was involved.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 30, 2016

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of "my immersion!", the Dead Sea is a natural wonder in this, and apparently it counts as a source of sweetwater for the purposes of housing. :crossarms:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh hey, something neat just popped up in one of the streams: The Roman Legionnaire can not only build forts and roads, he can also actually repair damaged districts and tile improvements. Like with builders, this doesn't even take up their build charge, so they can do that an unlimited amount of times. Given how important districts and pillaging seems to be, combined with the relative rarity of builders, that seems like a really useful ability. It'll allow you to get a recently-conquered city back into top shape without having to cart a builder all the way to the front lines.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The AI also seems to be just a little schizophrenic at times when it comes to the agendas, at least in this build. In one stream, a guy had Kongo as his closest neighbour. At one point the player created a religion (as the very first civ in game), and literally the very next turn Mvemba bitches at him for not having it spread to any Kongolese cities, which some turns later even escalated into a denunciation (though on that note, it's nice that now the game explicitly tells you why you're being denounced). Eventually the player did manage to get a missionary over there, and Mvemba actually immediately praised that. But then some three or so turns after that, Mvemba once again turned around and bitched him out because apparently it still wasn't spreading fast enough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hogama posted:

I think you can get as much Genghis Khan as you can afford.

I'm surprised that he's a great general, when he should clearly be a great musician:

https://youtu.be/4pIc6-vO1l4?t=1m30s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Omnicarus posted:

I wish that they had just ponied up the money and gotten Nimoy to do VA work the again. His were my favorite.

I've got some bad news for you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, multiple leaders was officially confirmed? Where? Do we know who might be showing up? You make it sound like we know Greece's second one.

I don't think it's been officially confirmed yet, but the one stream leak showed Gorgo (as in the Queen of Sparta) as one of the available leaders. Since there was no available civilisation for her to get to herself, the general consensus is that she'll very probably be the second leader for Greece.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

Oh man, Marbozir bought a great work off of Scythia for 1 gold. As Kongo.

Firaxis please

The AI's valuations for stuff in trades really is all over the place, but that seems to be a fairly obvious bug/oversight. In another LP Barbarossa actually came to the player with the offer to trade one of the player's luxuries for another luxury, a bunch of money, and a great work on top of that. But at least fixing that is likely just a matter of adjusting up some values and maybe tightening the constraints of what they consider an acceptable trade.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Rome also seems pretty good. The legions seem incredibly useful, what with needing no iron, having a big old strength bonus, and being military engineers on top of it. It's probably not too representative what with being just Prince difficulty and all, but one guy I'm watching has managed to eliminate Japan, Greece, and Kongo before turn 100, just by throwing shitloads of legionnaires at them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hogama posted:

Civ VI Launch Trailer

Sean Bean doesn't survive it.

I have a hunch I know what Poland's unique unit will be (again).

Launch schedule.

PRELOAD IS UP

That's a pretty loving good trailer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, drat, religious combat will take some getting used to. I just had a game where I started right next to Saladin, and fairly early in the game he suddenly started throwing shitloads of missionaries at me. I told him to knock it off and he agreed, but then immediately ignored that promise and kept on converting my people. I bought as many apostles as I could afford and tried to kill his missionaries, but I could only ever kill one of them at a time while the rest just swarmed around and did their thing unimpeded.

In the end I managed to make him promise to quit proselytising again and this time it apparently stuck. With my remaining Faith I bought myself an Inquisitor to root out his influence, used it on my capital, and... removed what was left of my own religion. Because as it turns out even the founding city of a given religion will produce religious units of a different religion once converted. Which means that with his one blitz, Saladin had actually managed to knock me out of the religion game for good. That early in the game I only had the one holy site, and there was no time to pull up another somewhere else before he converted the rest of my cities.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ultrachrist posted:

This is the game's biggest shortcoming right now imo. Even for people who bought the game day 1 and presumably have played a bunch of civ, it's somewhat confusing and overwhelming because there is just not enough easy information for new stuff. Easier adjacency bonus info is a big one.

The weird thing is that I'm pretty sure the preview build handed out to the streamers did have all the adjacency bonuses listed right there in the tooltip.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

What's a fun non-military based Civ to play in this game?

Played Rome/Trajan and quit after achieving a huge score lead after steamrolling a couple civs with Legions. There was little to no challenge left in seeing the game out. Keen to try something different.

I've gone with Egypt for my first game, and it works really well if you want to build up but also stay flexible. You get mad money from international trade*, extra production for anything next to a river, and have the option for a decent bit of faith production with sphinxes. And if you do get drawn into war early on, their chariots are really drat good and should help you through antiquity.

*Case in point:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

One thing that annoys me is that the AI will still bother you regularly with bullshit proposals. Every single turn there's at least one, often several of those fuckers asking me for a literal handout. Things like "give me these three luxury resources, get nothing in return.". A player would never have any reason accept that kind of thing (if they want to make a gift for good will, they can do that at any time anyhow), what's the point of the AI even asking?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, the AIs are still as unforgiving as ever. Harald has been chain-denouncing me for a thousand years now because I once converted one of his cities. And I'm pretty sure that happened by accident, either through pressure or through winning a religious combat nearby. I'm tempted to invade his rear end just to make him shut up.

The same deal with Frederik. He surprise-declared on me twice, once in the ancient and once in the medieval period. The first time I only barely managed to fight him off, and we agreed to a white peace. The second time I was much better prepared, dunked on him, and took two of his cities from him to make it stick. Immediately afterwards he turns around denounces me, deciding that I'm a warmonger now. Which he also kept up about four times in a row.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ahaha, what the gently caress is this:

That's Saladin kindly coming forward to offer me the opportunity to give him a unique luxury and one of my best cities for a whopping 74 gold. What is even the point of the AI making such offers, aside from being a trap for players who hit Accept by reflex just to shut him up. I made sure to nuke his annoying rear end just for that right before getting the hell off this planet.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Leinadi posted:

I really like the inclusion of Theological Combat. And I actually like when the AI comes with a carpet of religious units. I had an epic Holy War where I managed to defend my poo poo from Egypt who was going for a Religious Victory, it was cool.

However, after that war, apostles kept coming, one by one, every couple of turns into my territory after that. And it turned into such a bore to defend against these single units who just kept trickling in. Completely pointless.

Yeah, it turns into a drag really quickly. In my last game I was positioned pretty well for a religious victory with half the civs already converted and about 10k faith in the bank, but I passed on it simply because I didn't want to deal with having to send three dozen apostles across the sea to convert every city one by one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of wonders, I'm a bit annoyed that pretty much all the late-game ones are focused on culture. Early on you have a really nice selection to boost your military, economy, faith, or to just improve your cities all around. But past the modern age you're down to, what? Cristo Redentor, Sidney Opera House, Eiffel Tower, and the Broadway, all of which are only relevant if you're shooting for a culture victory.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Has anyone had the AI come close to a science victory on them? It feels like the AI is really bad at science and I can always be miles ahead of them in that area even if I'm not really trying.

The problem I have is that once the late game comes around, I can build bombers and all sorts of other powerful poo poo and just destroy anyone who is even close to a victory in another path. This could also be that they don't seem to target strategic resources so can't build the better units either.

Rirse posted:

Kongo in my game was up to Mechanized Infantry and had a Spaceport in their last city, even after I took away half their empire. They would got a space victory for sure if I didn't crush them. This is on my Prince run as the Aztecs.

Same for me. Greece had managed to build three spaceports and even launched a satellite, sitting safe and sound on a different continent. I still managed to comfortably get a science victory before them with time to spare, but if I'd been harder pressed on my own continent it might have been a close thing. This was also on Prince, playing as Egypt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Also, it seems weird that the rewards don't scale at all with the number of factions involved. On the one hand I get where they're coming from. It's an additional incentive to join in, not just for the reward for yourself, but also to deny part of it to the others. And in a simulationalist sense it's reasonable that there wouldn't be more or less stuff to loot just because there's more or fewer people doing the looting.

But on the other hand, it's kinda out of whack during the fairly common (at least in singleplayer) situation where only two players are involved in an emergency. At that point you're basically just doing what you'd probably be doing anyways, except with a massively huge reward on top of it. The first time I ran into an emergency was when Alexander captured one too many city states near my border. I was the suzerain of that one, so naturally I accepted and went to war with him over it (fucker had it coming anyway). So I won that war, nabbed an additional city or two in the process, and I got thousands upon thousands of gold on top of it, which basically put me ahead forever.