Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Panzeh posted:

Also the writing and philosophy comes off as extremely dated and the idelogical caricature leaders don't do anything for me.

What's dated about the philosophy of SMAC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

SirKibbles posted:

A lot actually it's definitely a game of it's time.

Anything specific?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Canada and Australia are already in the game, as England. Although an independence mechanic could be interesting.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Prism posted:

Does that mean we should remove America, too, since England's already in?

(Just to clarify, I don't think we need a Canadian civilization either but this is a really bad argument against it.)

America has been a global power for a good chunk of time after declaring independence.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Prism posted:

India is, though the Queen is not their monarch anymore.

The Commonwealth of Nations (it hasn't been the British Commonwealth since 1947) contains members who were never part of the British Empire and the Queen isn't the monarch of the majority of the countries in it. She is the titular and ceremonial monarch of Canada but Canada is independent of the British parliament.

I don't actually think Civilization should remove the American civilization or that Canada needs a civ, but claiming that Canada is part of England is ludicrous.

edit: vvvv no demand for it here, just don't call us British.

In the context of a game of Civ, Australia and Canada are settlers sent out to newly discovered land masses by England and France players.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I mean, it isn't. In the game city states are really more of an analogue to Canada and Australia.

Once they became independent sure.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Proposition Joe posted:

If Firaxis has to make a choice of including either Sumeria (inventors of writing, literal first civilization) or Canada (large) then I hope they go with Sumeria.

The Cucuteni-Trypillian Culture says what up.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Are the CiV expansions worth checking out if I really disliked the basic game?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Rise of Nations had supply wagons that prevented attrition damage in enemy territory in a big aoe. Conversely if you were Russia and researched all the attrition techs and wonders enemy armies without supply wagons would get passively annihilated just by entering your borders it was cool.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The way to curb ICS is to make new colonies a resource sink until they are established and having cities built in crappy terrain remain uneconomic. Large population centres should also grow faster than small ones as long as there's sufficient food available. IMO.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Chucat posted:

This is literally what happens in Civ 4.

New cities cost money due to maintenance and then begin making money with tile improvements and buildings (to both increase the amount of money the city makes and to reduce their maintenance). It's more crippling early on since you have less ways to mitigate the maintenance cost and make money, and then it gets better later on once you do.]

I could go into meticulous detail and point out a bunch of techs and how they each help but.

I never played any 4. Was ICS a big deal?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

If I loathed playing basic V will this be a waste of time?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ethiopia and Morocco here we come

Was there a big meltdown when Congo got announced?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Gladi posted:

Aside from the fact that some people in the era kept talking about being German, which they hardly would do if it had no meaning, their opinions are not relevant in this example. The opinion of modern Germans is.

To modern Germany Friedrich Barbarossa is its history. As is Arminius, Ottonians and whoever. While the narrative might be "artificial" it exists.

Does the same idea exist for Saladin and arabic people of Near East? No idea.

I remember reading a review for Kingdom of Heaven by Robert Fisk and the Lebanese audience he watched it with would all erupt into cheers everytime Saladin did something cool or noble.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Another question - will this likely burn people's laptops down like Civ V did?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

*watches 10 minutes of filthyrobot try to figure out why Germany has an extra military policy after repeatedly failing to read literally the first thing in their civilopedia entry*

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Is AI modding fairly popular? It might be better to officially incentivize the modding community to compete and iterate against each other to build your AI.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Beyond Earth was a dumb little side project that was obviously going to suck as soon as they started talking about it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My laptop is below min spec and I just booted up a small map on low settings to test and it plays fine.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

euphronius posted:

Could this game run in a laptop i5?

My i5 is running it (not particularly well but playable). My processor and vid card are both under the listed minimum.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I am so god drat bad at civ games for some reason.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I wonder if I'll ever get past the classical age without feeling the need to restart.

Is not founding a religion an option? Or is it something you always want to do?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Is.there a fix for leader animation screens not animating? Game runs fine and progresses normally, but the leaders just sit there frozen, dont mom during diplo screen. Is there a setting to change?

There's a graphics setting for animated leaders, which you could have taken 10 seconds to check for.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I don't understand why everyone is freaking out about autocycling through units.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Why are you frantically clicking on all your units. Just wait a milisecond for the autocycle to go through them for you. :shrug:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The movement rules are good and cool.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

The civopedia is horrendous; some of the entries read like white nationalist humour. Combined with the terrible quotes it gives the game an anti-intellectual and cynical tone that's completely wrong for the franchise.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So do you really have to use a build charge just to remove a pillaged improvement and then have to use another build charge to put it back up

No, lol.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I didn't get much from that vid beyond Civ's civs are neccessarily kinda arbitrary which wow, mind blown man.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

uPen posted:

The real mistake there is not playing as Barbarossa because Hansa's rock.

Just lol at anyone playing Germany or Scythia. Get good scrubs.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Warriors fortified on hill forests and across rivers etc slaughter barbarian horsemen.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'd like a "pseudo-earth" map type where spawn points aren't further seperated than shallow coast. It's dumb, we either have pangea maps where the seas largely don't matter or continents where certain players are totally isolated for half the game, neither of which is a good approximation of history.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Why don't they just scale district cost on either districts per city, or possibly, per empire.

You still want them practically buildable early game yet not trivially cheap later on.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Guys guys Auckland is in as a city state this changes everything.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Oh, earth map is the earth, rather than earth-like. :(

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I'm not an expert on African history or anything but I'm always a bit bemused that Ethiopia aren't a lock for Civ games.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I think I complained about this already, but I really seriously want an Earth-like type map in between Continents and Pangaea. Does anyone know anything about map modding or can I petition Firaxis or something?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

My pantheon culture bonus on a pasture disappeared permanently after it was pillaged and repaired, was that already a thing?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I can't get past this map thing.

Pangaea completely negates any naval gameplay; coastal cities, exploration, colonisation, navies, certain civs like Norway, and the landmass is almost always a boring blob. You can't even do much around the edge because North and South get blocked off by ice.

So I load up continents and after 50 turns I discover that I'm alone on my landmass and won't be interacting with any other players for half the game.

It would be nice if someone at Firaxis actually bothered to look at a globe for their human history game.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Kalko posted:

I like playing Fractal maps with the Detailed Worlds mod. It hasn't been updated for a long time but it works fine with the Spring patch.

Fractal maps are often single continents (usually with a few islands around the place) but their shape varies wildly so you can often find some good uses for a navy if you started on the coast.

I'll check it out, thanks.