Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Better
This poll is closed.
John Zandig 107 75.35%
DJ Hyde 35 24.65%
Total: 142 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

is SHIMMER on any of the networks? Seems insane no one's picked that up. There's a ton of history in those volumes.

They seem to exist in this odd limbo state, where they were originally kinda affiliated with ROH, but not really, and now just kind of sit as their own thing. (I'm amazed that ROH still doesn't have a women's belt, considering when SHIMMER launched I assumed they'd just start recognising that title as basically the ROH women's one)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

oatgan posted:

why are these men competing in a ladder match for a chance to enter the battle royal for the second title shot of the night

The producers are booking this with the only wrestling show they've ever seen being that one WWE PPV where Hunter had like 4 title matches with Orton in one night.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Why could they only get ladders with rungs on one side of them?

Because they're using cheapo metal ladders that they got from Homebase, and not wood ones that are spraypainted silver like WWE.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Interesting that Alex Shane's doing colour. He's been trying to get wrestling back on telly for like 15 years. I remember listening to a show he got simulcast on a cable channel and the radio in 200...4?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I like the backstage interview girl. Way more personality than Dasha-bot or Charlytron.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hopefully Dave will weigh in on this with all the gravity it deserves

It's just, y'know, the mentality that they need to, y'know, compete with WWE. I mean, it is what it is.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It must be kind of a throwback for JR, seeing as this is basically one of the old WCW Center Stage tapings, right?

Edit: Huh, I've never seen the Coffeys, are they just discount Glesga Ascension, then?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

I hope this gets 10 million viewers.

Unironically I do too, because it's a pilot. If it does well and gets picked up, they can learn what works and doesn't and improve. Plus more competition is good for the talent and for fans.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I thought you were making this up.

You were not.

In case anyone cares, Dave is basically comedy panel shows, Red Dwarf and Top Gear reruns and Storage Hunters.

Ligero's mask looks like a really bad idea.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think they also took the reins off the crowd a bit, we're getting a bit more natural response, with the "Grado's sleeping" chant. Davey Boy Jr would probably be the guy to build a promotion around, but I doubt he was willing to commit to a project that might fizzle out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

wagnike2 posted:

Mastiff's promo was pretty good.

Dealt with the "Whats" pretty well, at least.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I could see it being fairly cheap if they tape it a la Lucha Underground. And Alex Shane has the deal for wrestling at Butlin's now, I think, so he'd likely use the WoS guys on those shows. I'm just not sure what numbers on the main metrics ITV would be looking for. Like, are they looking for it to do more than whatever aired in the timeslot last Saturday? Or are they looking for X Factor/Bake Off numbers? Would a good AI number (audience appreciation index, for non-Brits, it's a metric of how much viewers like a show) make up for low viewing figures?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Von Linus posted:

Last year the show in that spot got double, apparently, and wrestling lost an enormous chunk of audience when it started, which came back when it was over. On the plus side it didn't look like it lost any of the people that had decided to watch it.

They might have been better to flip the order and had Ninja Warrior on first. I could see someone watching that maybe sticking around for wrestling.

Some quick checking says that that number would be about what the Beowulf show that they had was pulling in. So I suppose it boils down to whether or not they have something that they think is a bigger draw or is significantly cheaper to produce/buy rights for. Or if they think it could fit in on ITV4 maybe.

Probably dead in the water if that number's legit, though, unless it saw major time-shifting via catch-up and recording.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 1, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume it's a make-good for loving with their card, much like when they had him do the ICW Hydro show because they pulled Foley from it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Obvious way to set up a Wolfgang/Bate match with Wolfie claiming he was hurt going into the semi-final.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Can we even count Glory Pro when it's probably dead now?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's unfair. He was probably high.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

What was Colt's out of the ring behavior?

Being buds with CM Punk.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Rob posted:

Last time they fought they almost did. I don't even know what will happen when the title is on the line.

Their good friend Kazuchika Okada will make them shake hands and make up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He'll hear people chanting for Naito and throw a fit. He'll do a flip from the ceiling to the floor and storm out when Naito doing the tranquilo pose gets a bigger pop.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Can't wait for Ki to get his fussy baby pants in a snit and try to stiff Riddle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I just watched Suzuki/Riddle from the Rev Pro/New Japan shows last year. Suzuki's chops sounded like loving gunshots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Liger makin' dat money before he wrestles Rey.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

Elgin's done in North America right? He'd have to be outright delusional to think anyone would want him again.

I'm dreading New Japan being dumb enough to put him on the Long Beach show. Although hearing JR and Barnett try and explain why the crowd is screaming profanity at him might be perversely entertaining.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

whose the knockoff la parka

I have legit lost track. Which one is this? The original or the replacement?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Phenix Rising posted:

WHOA, Ultimo Dragon? Like, *THE* Ultimo Dragon? I had no idea he was even still wrestling.

Dragon Lee and Titan are also real good.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

HOW DO YOU gently caress UP TITAN'S NAME gently caress THIS COMMENTARY

Is he calling him "Tie-Tan"?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Testekill posted:

Sounds like Melbourne City Wrestling had a killer show on the weekend; Ospreay vs Gambino was apparently real good and the ladder match between Robbie Eagles & Slex also sounded like it was a fun match. They're also setting up Ospreay vs Slex while we're also getting Jimmy Havoc & Toni Storm over the coming months.

Ospreay vs Slex in a Winner Gets To Lose To Okada Again match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Bloodsport is gonna be great or terrible, depending on how banged up everyone is going into it. Filthy Tom's already a question mark.

Tom's gonna work every show from now on with a cast on his arm, like Cowboy Bob Orton.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/5StarWrestling/status/969270402483703808

The only way to book Alberto is to not book him in the first place.

How is this idiot managing to keep tricking TV people into thinking his snake-oil act is better than any of the million UK indie groups that actually run shows regularly and pay their talent?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Rey might slow down his bookings for the next couple of weeks, but I'd bet he still does the NJPW show. The more unfortunate thing is it's probably derailed his WWE return.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

ROH news goes in the ROH thread

Good thing All In isn't an ROH show then. (It's Cody and the Bucks promoting it, not Sinclair)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Are Suzuki and ZSJ still the RevPro tag champs?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

it hurts because its true

He's an indie wrestler. They all look like that. Even Kenny Omega looks like, except he's talking too loud about how SICK the last episode of Dragonball Super was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And replace Schiavone?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Is MLW going to make Vince lose his mind like when World of Sport was coming back?

Nah, World of Sport was a unique situation because they were locking up a bunch of hot prospect UK talent AND it was going to be a primetime show on a channel literally everyone in the UK with a TV can get.

Basically it'd be like if PWG suddenly got a deal to do a weekly Thursday night show on CBS at 8.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Zack fills the gaijin heel niche in the NJPW heavyweight division. (Kenny's a complete babyface now, and Cody's not full-time.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...they named a team after a character from the Star Wars cartoon shows?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Do you know who Mike Quackenbush is?

I figured he was the kind of nerd who disavowed everything since Disney bought LucasFilm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Pop Culture ended in the 90's for Quackenbush.

Hence why I'm surprised at using a reference from 2008!