Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rangpur posted:

Well that's diasppointing, but it seems to be sort of a thing with Disgaea's final story bosses. Either the journey there made you strong enough to clown the entire map with one or two characters, or it's just kind of a tedious slog. (Though again, the worst example of a difficulty curve getting wonky in the endgame is probably still Phantom Brave.)

I have no idea what the difficulty curve at the end of Phantom Brave looks like, I got stuck on one of the early fights in the last chapter and went to failure grind bushes into a knife until I had a weapon that carried me all the way to Pringer X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Feinne why do you only do one or two actions at a time? I could have sworn you get more bonus gauge if you do the same moves but all in one go.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Well, for starters, it's important not to get ahead of yourself in case enemies survive attacks you thought were going to kill them. Second, putting together a plan of exactly the order you want things to happen in would make videos take longer.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Erg posted:

Feinne why do you only do one or two actions at a time? I could have sworn you get more bonus gauge if you do the same moves but all in one go.

You definitely do, but as fat batman noted there's an element of uncertainty in a lot of actions that makes one not want to get too far ahead of oneself. I also don't want to give people actions while I still might want to move them, until you actually have someone execute an action they can be moved around relatively freely within their movement range. This lets you pull poo poo like pulling someone back into range of a healer, healing them, then cancelling the move that put there there while ALSO retreating the healer away from danger. This is a relevant piece of information because that is literally a significant aspect of my strategy for this game's final boss.

Speaking of, my current plan is to split the end of the game into two updates (otherwise it'll be a bit longer than I really want to do in an update with how tired I've been recently and the possibility of work popping up at any moment). We'll see the front end tomorrow and since I've already got videos cutting for it the back end likely Friday. In the meantime, here is an EXCITING POLLING OPPORTUNITY! We'll be picking up a bunch of DLC characters soon, but it's up to you guys who you want to see first and who you might want to see me actually try to use. So please to pick three of the following names (note: two DLC characters are not in fact on this list, one because I'm getting them first and using the hell out of them, the other because I'm going to wait until we get a certain normal bonus character to do their map):

Adell (Disgaea 2)
Rozalin (Disgaea 2)
Liliel (The Guided Fate Paradox)
Mao (Disgaea 3)
Raspberyl (Disgaea 3)
Salvatore the Magnificent (Disgaea 3)
Pram the Oracle (Makai Kingdom)
Alexander, God of Destruction (Makai Kingdom)
Ash (Phantom Brave)
Marona (Phantom Brave)
Overlord Priere
Human Priere (La Pucelle)
Eclair (La Pucelle)
Nisa
The Indestructible Gig (Soul Nomad and the World Eaters)
Plumiere (Battle Princess of the Arcadias)

If you'd like more information on how any of them are in DD2 to inform your decision feel free to ask.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Throw my votes in for Mao, Adell, and Gig. Two of them are protagonists and therefor must be badass, the last is the only non-Disgaea character on that list I recognize (heresy, I know).

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Salvatore, Rozalin, and Gig

Salvatore seems like she'd be a huge fan of Barbara, Rozalin is an overlord, and Gig is Gig.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
Nisa, Gig, Raspberyl

Aside from Gig, these are probably the most unfitting cohorts for Laharl to have on his side, because the flatfist of justice never sleeps, and the other would probably rather be doing homework.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Raspberyl, Overlord Priere, Gig

Is anyone actually not going to vote for Gig? :v:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Gig, Gig, Gig

Does that answer the question?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Gig, Rozalin, Alexander

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade
Nisa, Gig, Pram

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Adell, NISA, and Ros.., no wait, there's Gig.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Adell, Rozalin, Nisa

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Roz, Gig, Priere let's accidentally on purpose end the world a few times.
If I had a fourth I'd vote NISA,

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Gonna stand up for Phantom Brave with Ash, Marona....and Gig.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Gig, Nisa, and...uh...Gig

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gig, Nisa and Liliel

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

GIG

Wait two other choices? Uhhhhhh

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Ardeem posted:

I have no idea what the difficulty curve at the end of Phantom Brave looks like, I got stuck on one of the early fights in the last chapter and went to failure grind bushes into a knife until I had a weapon that carried me all the way to Pringer X.
That's what I mean by a weird difficulty curve. You could give all your phantoms doom swords (bushes, mine carts, whatever) but then it just takes longer and barely even speeds up how fast you clear a map. Or you could make a slightly less overpowering weapon... but the difference in time savings is marginal because all the work to get the Failure naming cycle going is front-loaded. And several less overpowering weapons still takes longer to grind out than a single monstrous one. The same applies equally if you try to make individual characters badasses instead of individual weapons.

Were I ever to LP it, Marona would be the spergiest, spread-sheetingest, min-maxer to ever teach others valuable lessons about racism... because that's more or less how Phantom Brave plays out. And on that note, Marona, Ash and (because it's the only name I don't recognize at ALL) Lilliel.

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Salvatore, Gig and Nisa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm gonna go with team never met 'em: Liliel, Human Priere, Plumiere

Falconer
Dec 7, 2003

Did you know, I was THE MOON once!

Yes! You see, one night it turned out the moon had been STOLEN!

The animal people asked ME to take its place as I am so WISE and BRILLIANT!!
Rozalin, Marona and Overlord Priere.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Adell, Rozalin, and Nisa.

I have no idea who the gently caress this Gig person everyone else voted for is. :geno:

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Rozalin, Gig, and Marona

I purchased and beat Phantom Brave recently. It's nice to have some NIS games on my PC. I just wish they'd port some of them to the 3DS. SRPGs are perfect for my commute.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

MarsDragon posted:

Gonna stand up for Phantom Brave with Ash, Marona....and Gig.

Phantom Brave doesn't gig enough credit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Adell, Rozalin, and I guess whatever NISA is.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

I have no idea who the gently caress this Gig person everyone else voted for is. :geno:

I mean, you'll find out what kind of person he is in this LP, but here have this for your convenience.

Pram, Alexander, and Gig

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't really understand how this first-past-the-post system works, so I'm going to do what I did in the federal election this year and vote below the line

code:
16 Adell
6  Rozalin
2  Liliel
13 Mao
4  Raspberyl
10 Salvatore the Magnificent
11 Pram the Oracle
14 Alexander, God of Destruction
15 Ash
12 Marona
7  Overlord Priere
9  Human Priere
8  Eclair
5  Nisa
3  The Indestructible Gig
1  Plumiere
I hope this is okay. Participating in democracy is very important to me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Pram, Overlord Priere, Rozalin

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

If you want to be nitpicky, Range Voting is the best voting system for democracy. All you do is rate how happy you would be with each character getting picked on a scale of 0 to 10. If everyone does this, with a healthy blend of some people being binary 0-or-10 and some being "honest" with gradients, then when you calculate the average for each character the highest scores are the happiest compromise for everyone.

Alternatively, dark assembly style! How old your account is dictates how many votes you have!

FAT BATMAN fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 5, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mao, Adell, Raspberyl

i.e. the two characters with a ton of votes I actually know, and Raspberyl.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Oct 5, 2016

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Pram, Overlord Priere, Gig.

Gotta get some more numbnuts up in here.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Adell, Rozalin and Plumiere

No Revya in D2? How is Gig supposed to work without his partner?
(Ok, ok, it's Gig, but it would be less fun for him)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 5, 2016

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Gig, Overlord Priere, Rozalin

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FAT BATMAN posted:

If you want to be nitpicky, Range Voting is the best voting system for democracy. All you do is rate how happy you would be with each character getting picked on a scale of 0 to 10. If everyone does this, with a healthy blend of some people being binary 0-or-10 and some being "honest" with gradients, then when you calculate the average for each character the highest scores are the happiest compromise for everyone.

Alternatively, dark assembly style! How old your account is dictates how many votes you have!

The real Netherworld thing would be to post a summary of the votes that's wrong and hope I just accept it without counting.

W.T. Fits posted:

Adell, Rozalin, and Nisa.

The Indestructible Gig, Killer of Kings and Destroyer of Worlds, is one a 'protagonist' in Soul Nomad and the World Eaters. He is an awful fucker and yet still nowhere near the worst person in a game full to the brim of awful bastards.

I'm working on the update, should be up within a few hours.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

FAT BATMAN posted:

if anyone is looking for a senator to bribe, feel freZZZzzzzz

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Forty-Three: Sibling Showdown

We’ve gone through quite a bit, can you believe we’re almost at the end of the main game?

Video- “Netherworld’s Guts”

Watch

I’m sure it’s coming from the kidnapped angels.
Exactly. But I can’t let you pass beyond this point.
Xenolith…!
You ignored my warning… How much more trouble do you plan to give me?
I am the Overlord. You do know that, right? Did you think I’d just stand aside while you’re having your way with the Netherworld?
I’ll tell you one more time, destroy the artifact in your body!
I told you I can’t.
Xenolith, tell me…why do you need to gather so much magic power?
You aren’t trying to become the Overlord, right?
I’m not going to answer that.
But…
This is your last chance. If you back off now, I’ll let you leave unharmed.
Don’t be stupid. We will defeat you and then destroy that artifact. And we won’t back down until we do!
Then I guess I’ll just have to give it my all to force you…

Sicily tries to do something really dumb because she, charitably, is not too bright. Kinda have to wonder if it just runs in the family.

Sicily…? What are you doing?
Big Brother, I’m sorry…
Xenolith, please release all of the angels…
I can’t. If they stop now, the Netherworld will crumble in an instant.
Then, take my angel power instead!
Sicily! If you do that, you’ll die!
That’s okay with me. It’s my job to find all the missing angels.
If Big Brother can return the angels, I’m sure the Seraph would help us.
He might even find another way to save the Netherworld, right?
Don’t be stupid!
I’m not being stupid! I just don’t want you to die!
You remind me of our mother. Like how you’re trying to give up your life to save mine.
But don’t worry, I won’t lose to this guy.
Believe in the power of the Overlo--! Believe in your big brother.
Big Brother…
How was the wait?
…I won’t go easy on anyone who tries to destroy my artifact, understand?
Hmph! I never asked you to!
And you better not take me too lightly! I won’t lose this battle.
I’ll put everything I have into destroying you!
…I see, you are quite determined. But determination alone will not bring you victory.
If you still want to fight me, I’ll show you my full power. You will see absolute despair, and you’ll never think of fighting me again!

So we start the map faced with three Sorcerers on little islands debuffing us, and six Living Armors on No Lifting and Ally Damage 50%. The symbols for those are of course across the bridge. None of this matters compared to actually looking at good old Xenolith, though.

Now we can see Xenolith’s Evility, and it’s rude. Any time you attack him in any way you suffer 20% of your max health afterwards. This includes counters and cover attacks. Large combos are thus kind of counterproductive because they spread damage all over the party. Still, Xenolith doesn’t have a massive health pool so if you’ve got some powerful characters with decent weapons he’ll die in a couple hits. If you feel like this map is a bit easy, that’s because we’re not done here!

Video- “Netherworld’s Guts Outro”

Watch

There’s no way the person who’s sucking all the Netherworld’s magic is only that strong!
Laharl, I think he couldn’t fight at full-strength because Etna was here…

…Please.
I don’t care if I die, just don’t destroy the artifact…
Are you stupid!? Don’t be so selfish! The Netherworld won’t return to normal unless we destroy it!
Otherwise, why would we have fought you in the first place!?
I know it doesn’t make sense… But please…
Please tell us, Xenolith… Why do you want to protect it?
If magic power is all you wanted, you wouldn’t have put your life on the line like you did.

Wh-What…?

Now we’ll get Xenolith’s explanation for all this.

Sister…? Do you mean Etna!?
Ever since she was born…she has always had immense magic power…
But because she was so strong, she has always been at risk of being killed by her own overwhelming magic.
Which is why I risked everything with the Artifact of Absolute Death. So it can drain her magic and save her from imminent death.
So the reason you used the artifact was…
To save your sister… To save Etna…
What? Don’t be stupid! Prince, let’s destroy that artifact already.
Wait, Etna! If it’s destroyed, all the magic it absorbed will return to its owners.
That means all the magic that could’ve killed you will go right back into you, right?
That’s fine. It’ll just make me really strong.
…I knew you’d say that, which is why I didn’t tell you earlier.
You don’t know the terror of your own magic.
Although you’ve grown, you’ll still be crushed by it…
Interesting… I’m not as weak as you think I am.
You got that? Now hurry up and give me the artifact! IF you really are my brother, then stop making a fool of yourself!
Etna…

Not that it changes anything.

…Very well. If you must, then please kill me when you do.
I can’t handle seeing my little sister suffer anymore…
I won’t kill you. I need you to explain to the Seraph everything you did.
You’re a heartless Overlord.
Now, I shall destroy it!

This does, though, because everything goes to poo poo when we try to break it.

What the hell!?
Prince! The artifact is absorbing magic at a much faster rate now!
Ugh…! Guh…aaaaaahhh!!!
Xenolith!
H-He’s gone…!
I sense immense power coming from up ahead. I think Xenolith is…!
Dammit… I should’ve been more careful. I didn’t think the artifact itself would resist…!
Let’s go!
Dammit…!

This then goes right into the next map, which we’ll get to next time.

Next Time on Disgaea D2: The Artifact Unleashed

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Welp. Is Xenolith still alive or did the artifact basically eat him?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Admittedly, I've only been keeping one eye on this thread but basically:

Xenolith absorbed Etna's power to save her as a baby
The Artifact is too strong and naturally absorbs magic from everything around it
The Artifact is absorbing the energy of the Netherworld itself
Xenolith kidnapped angels to use as a replacement battery for the Netherworld
This would kill those angels
This also caused the Netherworld to start growing angel flowers, showing that the angel energy is inadvertently changing the Netherworld and isn't a true replacement

That's the gist of it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Sounds about right, though there's also the assumption that Etna actually is Xenolith's sister. Watch it actually be, uh, Priere or something. :v:

Thing that bugs me about this is that if Xenolith had just told people "Uh, I got a world-destroying artifact here, but if we blow it up bad poo poo will happen" then we could have avoided 90% of this plot. Bad communication kills, people!

• Locked thread