Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

loquacius posted:

The height on the Sama IM01 is about 15.5"

I think you're misreading the dimensions, that's the length not the height. It's 303mm tall or just over 12 inches. That said the NR200 is the better made case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

A friend wants to downsize his computer case. Unfortunately he has an ATX board. He no longer needs any drive mounting as he will be switching to m.2 only. Just a atx mobo, atx powersupply and a good gaming video card. Any suggestions? The populars ones still seem overly large, but I don't really follow ATX cases.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think you're misreading the dimensions, that's the length not the height. It's 303mm tall or just over 12 inches. That said the NR200 is the better made case.

I clicked through to Newegg and they had that dimension listed as the height too

but the alea's been iacta, I'm giving this ITX poo poo a try. Honestly the parts I'm most worried about atm are whether Beach Audio and EVGA's manufacturer webstore can come through for me on actually shipping me parts. Crossing my fingers.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

loquacius posted:

I clicked through to Newegg and they had that dimension listed as the height too

I mean just look at it. With ITX mini tower cases, the longest span is always going to be the length of the side of the case, the middle dimension the height, and the shortest the width.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VulgarandStupid posted:

A friend wants to downsize his computer case. Unfortunately he has an ATX board. He no longer needs any drive mounting as he will be switching to m.2 only. Just a atx mobo, atx powersupply and a good gaming video card. Any suggestions? The populars ones still seem overly large, but I don't really follow ATX cases.

If he's willing to ditch the board, NR200 has a bracket for ATX PSUs. The options for a full size ATX board I can come up with:
- Sliger Cerberus X 23.5L (expensive, basically AIO only in a ATX setup)
- Lian Li O11 Dynamic Mini 43L (only supports SFX PSUs)
- Raijintek Thetis 28L (GPU length limited to 280mm)
- Phanteks P300A 36L
- FD Meshify C 36.5L

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 1, 2022

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfTl3yR7MTQ

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Kivi posted:

I had a NCase M1 laying around with some parts so decided to order some things and build a computer for my wife. Parts arrived last week and had a quick go at building and I'm so pleased with it. Bought the cheapest X99 "mATX" board from Ali with 2650v3 CPU, put my spare DDR4 ECC in and my spare Quadro in.

https://imgur.com/a/CDEp7B4

Specs are

Atemiter X99 (new to me)
Xeon E5 2650v3 (new to me)
64 GB of DDR4 ECC (upgraded my other box so I had these extra)
Kingston NV1 256 GB (bought used from someone who upgraded to bigger disk for pennies)
Quadro M4000 (fan seems to be dying, bought to flip this during 2021 GFX card wars but never got around it due to fan issue)
Noctua C14 with 140 mm Corsair ML Pro white LED fan (bought last known example of this for sale in Germany)
Corsair SF600 Plat (I picked this up for cheap with Dancase A4 white wire kit some moons ago)
Intel something wifi on PCIe card (cheap Ali card with Intel wifi card from dead laptop)

New parts cost me ca. $200.

E: all the clips holding panels on my NCase are still broken so they're attached with double sided tape for now.

Thank you! i may order exactly some of your parts and get mine running. My gpu is a 1060 and is quite small thus should fit easy.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Cheese Thief posted:

Thank you! i may order exactly some of your parts and get mine running. My gpu is a 1060 and is quite small thus should fit easy.
Yeah, the GPU fit is the usual when it comes to case of this style. I'm eyeing on some cheap Radeons (WX5100 or better) to make this build 1) quiet b) into my spare Mac :v:

Haven't had time playing with it, but it looks like the 4 memory slots are only run as dual channel but that's to be expected. Here's the board "kit" I got: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003437169677.html

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

teagone posted:

It's so true. I've built exclusively in ITX cases for my own PCs for the last several years now. It's unfortunate, because ITX commands such a large premium over normie hardware lol.
I’m a heretic that goes back and forth between ATX and ITX / SFF 20 years now. Currently on a Fractal Define R5 because it’s quieter with the soundproofed panels and I valued having a high quality X570 board more than a smaller case when I built it in 2019. Been waiting for a new set of guts to go back to ITX at this point though. Question is Raptor Lake v Zen 4 and just how much power the new RTX cards will need. Trying to squeeze high performance parts into ITX cases is tough.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

necrobobsledder posted:

Trying to squeeze high performance parts into ITX cases is tough.

*looks nr200ishly at you*

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Butterfly Valley posted:

*laughs in XTIA xproto*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Romes128 posted:

*laughs in XTIA xproto*

:same:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Romes128 posted:

*laughs in XTIA xproto*

They said cases not parts hanger :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Meshlicious can fit/cool basically anything* too.

* there are def some 3090Tis that are slightly too long.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can never decide which part of that name is more ridiculous, Lian Li calling the brand "Sunny Side Up Design" or the case being the "Meshlicious".

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I refuse to say Meshlicious irl.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Romes128 posted:

I refuse to say Meshlicious irl.

really shoulda been "meshilicious" imo, but i do really like the case

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cygni posted:

I thought that was how you spelled it. drat. I am tempted to try one though. Sucker fits an ATX power supply.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Cygni posted:

That's how I've been reading it this whole time 🤯

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cygni posted:

Meshilicious, definition: make the goons go crazy.

Tempted by my airflow, wanna build inside me maybe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Meshlicious is a goofy name, but whatever. It's memorable. I'd rather cases have goofy names as opposed to souless designation number identifers like the NR200 or my TU150, lol.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

The NR200 wasn’t even announced when I built my current machine and having had bad luck swapping cases around builds in the past I was going to wait for a while to build again. It’s certainly a decent case to build in but it’s not winning the performance per space awards for mini ITX anytime either. I’m considering the Lovelace GPUs coming up mostly to have similar performance for less thermal envelope of my RTX 3090 and am probably going back to air cooling the CPU if it makes sense for a 5800X or 12600k equivalent CPU.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Sure the NR200 isn't the most space efficient ITX case out there but that seems like a bizarre thing to complain about when you're comparing it to a full size mid tower :shrug:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
It’s more a sort of go small or go home point rather than pragmatism-above-all that standard mid towers overall fits. On a cost efficiency basis ITX is overall worse unless power is super expensive in which case I hope you’re looking at more power efficient components rather than thinking about form factor. I’ve had several mini ITX cases before and it’s not like they take less space than a NUC or a random 15” laptop either. Clearly there’s other constraints beyond size if one is thinking about ITX at all and IMO part of the appeal of ITX is about packing as much power into as small of a space as reasonable with vaguely off the shelf components.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

For most of the people here it’s going as small as possible while still getting good gaming performance. For me that happens to be above laptop level graphics cards. Keep in mind a laptop 3080 is usually only equivalent to a desktop 3060.

If not, laptops are surprisingly good deals. Whenever I see deals for NUCs they are worse than laptop deals, then you don’t get the screen and portability. I would probably just get NUCs for parents/grandparents at this point.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NUCs are a good buy if you just need a computer for simple home use without games, and don’t want a laptop for whatever reason. Not much better on the value side, but much more discrete on your desk.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

They used to be insanely cheap, less so now but the Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny models are still cheaper than a NUC and fine for a general computer. A couple of years ago I got one off the Lenovo website for £258 shipped.

Mac Minis are also pretty good value for the base model.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Wanted to share my update. I originally built a sff in a Silverstone FTZ-01 case but two years ago upgraded to a 5900x and 3080 in there. I had a lot of challenges cooling and eventually ended up kind of ok with a Big Shuriken 3 and a negative pressure case. By ok I mean... 70ish idle temps and 90ish peak temps (throttle probably).

I was recently able to snag an nr200p max off amazon. I wasn't sure if I was even going to build in it as it's pretty pricey I just got it because I had regretted not buying it before when it was in stock, but when it was delivered I couldn't not build in it. It took about 2.5hr to quickly build the system (hardly any cable management). Of that probably 1.5hr were disassembly of the existing FTZ-01 case (not a very simple case to dissemble). It took a lot longer than I thought to build in, but if you were starting from scratch and familiar with liquid coolers it would probably take 45 minutes.

I hit the power button and nothing happened. It was super late at night so that made me soooo upset, but it turned out the default position of the power supply is to off so that was an easy fix. Everything booted up fine after that. Checking my new temps... idle at 48-56, and peak after Cinebench run was 71. Yikes! Almost a 30 degree difference. The first night it sounded actually kind of louder than I thought it would but now on the second day I think a lot of that was the 3.5" drive and break in. The system is very quiet, especially at peak fan speed. I don't think it's the best looking case, I think something like the meshilicious or the H1 v2 would probably look cooler. I'm glad I made the switch and can see this lasting for another 5 years at least.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

They used to be insanely cheap, less so now but the Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny models are still cheaper than a NUC and fine for a general computer. A couple of years ago I got one off the Lenovo website for £258 shipped.

Mac Minis are also pretty good value for the base model.

Mac Mini for like $550 at Costco is excellent value, will probably last you 10 years easy, will run Hades + Disco Elysium + at like 4k60 plus also civ and Stellaris what more do you want

Tall Lady resident evil + no man’s sky coming soon, Mac has all the games for the discerning gentlegoon and no fluff

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
Interesting, a competitor to the Corsair SFFs from… Gigabyte? https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigab...0.626753.0.html

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That looks pretty good. I like the cooling system. Any idea about the price point? I didn't find anything on Gigabyte's web site

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
The central cooling unit looks cheaper than Corsair’s but is probably like 5% different in cooling efficiency. Gigabyte is fairly reasonable and I’d expect pricing a bit under what Corsair’s equivalent model would be.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The old laptop I've been using for my "HTPC" -- really just running windows to stream videos from my network storage and occasionally watching twitch, youtube, etc on TV in an ad-blockable way -- has apparently decided to kick the bucket. I'm looking to replace it with a more dedicated HTPC solution. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like nowadays.

Constraints:
- Ideally uses DisplayPort. My TV is one of the weird Panasonics that uses DP for one of its two 4K-capable inputs and I'm unlikely to find anything else to plug in there.
- Can handle playing compressed media at 4K@60Hz without trouble.
- Small, assembled, quiet, reasonably designed. A black box is fine, but I don't want to solder my own Pi.
- Reasonably flexible when it comes to the software I can run. I'd like to be able to run some better HTPC-type UI, use steam link, etc.
- It would be nice if it could run some up-to-90s emulators natively so I can wallow in childhood nostalgia.
- I don't care about storage or wifi, it'll sit in a cabinet under the TV, next to my switch and NAS.
- Doesn't have to be the cheapest possible option, but I don't see a reason to spend much money on this.

I have a Chromecast Ultra but it's a little too limited for what I want, in addition to definitely not using displayport. I'm thinking the best solution is just the most cheap-rear end NUC-style mini PC I can find, but that's not a hardware segment I'm at all familiar with. Currently looking at a Zotac PI335, which is available here in Europe, is cheap (213€), and has a Celeron N4100 which I think is probably fine for my purposes. Is that a reasonable enough choice? Does the hardware matter at all for this sort of stuff nowadays? I don't need to or want to play modern PC games on this thing, but I do want it to not choke on video playback and be responsive to use. Are there other approaches, like more flexible pure streaming solutions than a Chromecast, that I should be looking at? Would I be better off outside x86-land? Windows feels like an optional expense, but I haven't really seen a better non-windows option.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Xerophyte posted:

The old laptop I've been using for my "HTPC" -- really just running windows to stream videos from my network storage and occasionally watching twitch, youtube, etc on TV in an ad-blockable way -- has apparently decided to kick the bucket. I'm looking to replace it with a more dedicated HTPC solution. I'm not entirely sure what that looks like nowadays.

Constraints:
- Ideally uses DisplayPort. My TV is one of the weird Panasonics that uses DP for one of its two 4K-capable inputs and I'm unlikely to find anything else to plug in there.
- Small, assembled, quiet, reasonably designed. A black box is fine, but I don't want to solder my own Pi.
- Reasonably flexible when it comes to the software I can run. I'd like to be able to run some better HTPC-type UI, use steam link, etc.
- It would be nice if it could run some up-to-90s emulators natively so I can wallow in childhood nostalgia.
- I don't care about storage or wifi, it'll sit in a cabinet under the TV, next to my switch and NAS.
- Doesn't have to be the cheapest possible option, but I don't see a reason to spend much money on this.

I have a Chromecast Ultra but it's a little too limited for what I want, in addition to definitely not using displayport. I'm thinking the best solution is just the most cheap-rear end NUC-style mini PC I can find, but that's not a hardware segment I'm at all familiar with. Currently looking at a Zotac PI335, which is available here in Europe, is cheap (213€), and has a Celeron N4100 which I think is probably fine for my purposes. Is that a reasonable enough choice? Does the hardware matter at all for this sort of stuff nowadays? I don't need to or want to play modern PC games on this thing, but I do want it to not choke on video playback and be responsive to use. Are there other approaches, like more flexible pure streaming solutions than a Chromecast, that I should be looking at? Would I be better off outside x86-land? Windows feels like an optional expense, but I haven't really seen a better non-windows option.

Knowing your budget and country would help but you can get a micro form factor desktop like the following if they are available and reasonable price in your country. They're close to $200 on the used market in the US and have much better processors than the Celeron thing you mentioned.

Dell Optiplex Micro 7050
HP Prodesk 600 G4 Mini

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Brain Issues posted:

Knowing your budget and country would help but you can get a micro form factor desktop like the following if they are available and reasonable price in your country. They're close to $200 on the used market in the US and have much better processors than the Celeron thing you mentioned.

Dell Optiplex Micro 7050
HP Prodesk 600 G4 Mini

Final budget is not really a concern, I just don't want to spend money on hardware that doesn't help my use case. I prefer avoiding used/refurbished products, I've had enough trouble with that sort of thing. I'm in Europe, as mentioned, specifically Sweden but shipping within the EU is not generally a problem.

Getting an i3 or better ups the price to around €500. That's fine as far as my personal budget is concerned, but I'm skeptical as to if it has value since all I'm really looking for is a box with DisplayPort output that'll play back compressed 4K video files from a NAS without dying. Do I need more than a cheap-rear end Celeron with minimal storage, given what I intend to use it for?

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 16, 2022

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Constraints:

wait 6 months and pick up somebody’s used M1 Mac Mini for like $400 when the M2s come out.

It’s not remotely the cheapest option but if you’re ok with the surprisingly deep and broad options for Mac OS HTPC software it’ll probably run like an ice cold little top for the next decade without giving you very many problems.

plus next year you’ll be able to play native ports of RE8 and No man’s sky at the rough equivalent of medium-ish settings on it, hooray!! Hades and Disco Elysium both already look great at 4K on it, and that’s all the games anybody really needs.

joking aside, it actually handles a lot of stuff like EVE and even a lot of Rosetta/emulated recent games quite well, and it’s honestly pretty beastly as a USFF emulation box up thru GC/Wii-era poo poo. I don’t personally spend a ton of time with emulating old games myself but from what I can tell from people who do, it seems like they’re generally pretty happy with M1

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Xerophyte posted:

Final budget is not really a concern, I just don't want to spend money on hardware that doesn't help my use case. I prefer avoiding used/refurbished products, I've had enough trouble with that sort of thing. I'm in Europe, as mentioned, specifically Sweden but shipping within the EU is not generally a problem.

Getting an i3 or better ups the price to around €500. That's fine as far as my personal budget is concerned, but I'm skeptical as to if it has value since all I'm really looking for is a box with DisplayPort output that'll play back compressed 4K video files from a NAS without dying. Do I need more than a cheap-rear end Celeron with minimal storage, given what I intend to use it for?

I think you underestimate how much power is needed to play 4k video, but as long as you're certain the gpu can hardware decode the video you want to play, you're in the clear

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I think you underestimate how much power is needed to play 4k video, but as long as you're certain the gpu can hardware decode the video you want to play, you're in the clear

I don't quite know how much power is needed to play 4K video nowadays, that's the reason I'm asking what I need to do so in this thread.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If you think an Intel HD GPU will be powerful enough the Lenovo Thinkcentre Tiny in a recentish version should work. They have had displayport outputs since forever.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/363859993021

https://www.ebay.de/itm/175304135640

You can get one new from Lenovo locally for not very many zlotys https://www.lenovo.com/se/sv/desktops-and-all-in-ones/thinkcentre/m-series-tiny/ThinkCentre-M75q-Gen-2/p/11TC1MTM7G2

Tbh at that price I'd look at a mac mini and work out something like a USB-C to displayport adapter or cable. No experience there though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Nap Ghost
4K video can be done just fine on old-rear end hardware if it's encoded with MPEG2, lol. The issue is really about the profile and the encoding. 4K AV1 at highest profile settings will murder my 3900X even to decode it and it absolutely will choke most Macs because Apple isn't supporting AV1 in their hardware possibly ever (which is a bit troublesome given AV1 is nice and open source and such so in theory it should be easier to get cheap hardware out the door soon, so buying expensive hardware that doesn't really "do" common commodity codec acceleration is a weird possibility to me).