Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Charles Mansion posted:

Oops, I meant Meshify. I bought the Define before realizing it was more compact than a typical mid tower.

I guess I just need to experiment like LordAdakos said, but I was curious if there were principles to follow with regards to push/pull configurations and static pressure and all that crap.

If you want positive pressure to keep dust down, 2x filtered front intake and 1x rear exhaust is fine probably. Otherwise with an air cooled CPU, I'd probably add an exhaust to the top rear slot right above the CPU heatsink, but leave the rest blank.

If the cpu is liquid cooled with only a front mounted rad I'd fully populate the top as exhaust.

Static pressure is more about fan selection; if you have to blow through something (radiator, dense fin stack on heatsink), higher static pressure fans like arctic p series or a12x25s will do better generally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an atx psu bracket leftover from a nr200 build that ended up not needing it.

Its printed in clear PETG so it looks white. This is mountable in the standard location or the front

I figured I would offer it here if someone needed it but didnt have access to a 3d printer. Just pay shipping, probably $5.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I got a 3d printed clip to attach a noctua fan to the cryorig c7 cpu cooler. Like with the fans on the gpu it's a load quieter than stock. My short cables finally turned up as well so I think that's the end of this round of messing with it.

I'm pleased with all the things I've changed.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Is there an SFF case that's less than 9" in depth with vertical airflow/orientation at a modest price point? Only one I can seem to find is the NZXT H1 which is ~7" depth but it's $349 lol. Width doesn't matter too much, height doesn't matter at all. Was hoping the Phanteks Evolv Shift X would fit the bill but it has a 10.8" depth :negative:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

teagone posted:

Is there an SFF case that's less than 9" in depth with vertical airflow/orientation at a modest price point? Only one I can seem to find is the NZXT H1 which is ~7" depth but it's $349 lol. Width doesn't matter too much, height doesn't matter at all. Was hoping the Phanteks Evolv Shift X would fit the bill but it has a 10.8" depth :negative:

Have you looked at the meshilicious? Stupid name but could fit the bill. $130, half an inch deeper than you want however you could turn it ‘sideways’ if width isn’t too much of an issue as the case doesn’t have an obvious front. Well reviewed and has great compatibility according to our buff Australian overlord.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKpNt1o6l_Y

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 3, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I had actually presented the Meshlicious and Cougar QBX as options to the person I'm building the PC for, noting they could just turn the enclosures sideways to fit in the limited space behind their displays. They're adamant about wanting to show off the hardware going inside and having easy access to the back of the PC. It's a fairly restricting setup:

The red line is the space their new PC would be going in (moving the Orbi node elsewhere). I took measurements and from the edge of the desk to the back of the display, it's roughly ~9.5" or so. The NZXT H1 is perfect, but RIP the price.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Wouldn’t a sideways meshlicious fit the bill even more in that case? The GPU would be facing forwards and the ‘back’ of the case would be pointing behind the monitors which would make it easy to cable manage but also get at by shifting those monitor arms.

BTW it sounds like the H1 isn’t in consideration anyway but I wouldn’t go for one regardless given their response to the ‘riser cable can set it on fire’ issue

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

What about the Thermaltake Tower 100? https://www.newegg.com/thermaltake-...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Wouldn’t a sideways meshlicious fit the bill even more in that case? The GPU would be facing forwards and the ‘back’ of the case would be pointing behind the monitors which would make it easy to cable manage but also get at by shifting those monitor arms.

BTW it sounds like the H1 isn’t in consideration anyway but I wouldn’t go for one regardless given their response to the ‘riser cable can set it on fire’ issue

The monitor arms are pretty ghetto apparently, I asked if they could just move them around, but each time you want to adjust them you have to use an allen wrench lol.

10.5" depth would put the front of the case right against the back of the monitor.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Legit question: can they move the monitor a half an inch or so?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

LordAdakos posted:

Legit question: can they move the monitor a half an inch or so?

When I was there, the monitors would be uncomfortably close to the front of the desk if moved any more forward—they're 32" displays.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Time to get a bigger desk, obviously.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

The loque raw would fit. Unfortunately it doesn't have a modest price tag!

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

The h1 comes with a decent psu and aio. The price really isn’t that bad?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Couldn't you just let it hang over the edge like a 1/2 inch? I don't understand how this matters

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

interrodactyl posted:

Time to get a bigger desk, obviously.

This is legit the first thing I suggested, lmao.

[edit]

Broken Machine posted:

Couldn't you just let it hang over the edge like a 1/2 inch? I don't understand how this matters

I could I guess, I'm just the one building it, and they asked me to make sure if fits without issues behind the monitor/has easy access to the back of the PC. Was wondering what other super small options there are that would fit within the given space.

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 4, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

I told them how the meshlicious would look when orientated sideways and they're starting to warm up to the idea.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Sliger SV590 v2 or the xtia xproto?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sphyre posted:

The loque raw would fit. Unfortunately it doesn't have a modest price tag!

drat, that case is slick af lol.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Canna Happy posted:

xtia xproto?

Wow that "case" looks cool as heck but since I have a little furry beast from hell which I believe is commonly called 'cat' that's probably a no go for me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The ssupd Meshclicious is finally in stock. I picked up one to goof with for my HTPC/NAS/home server/seed box that has been in an insanely cramped and ancient Antec ISK 310-150 for uh... 9 years? I'm going to be using the storage bracket to shuck a few currently external 12tb HDs and make them internal, hopefully it will all look a bit nicer so the sig other stops sneering at the whole ugly setup on the shelf.

https://www.newegg.com/SSUPD-Computer-Cases/BrandSubCat/ID-212269-7

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Why can't they have the TG option for the PCIE4 version :mad:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

holy poo poo it actually shipped and is actually real, who woulda thunk

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Still available - I'm tempted to pick one up and just grab a $30 GT 210 to make the initial boot to change it to PCIE 3.0

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Cygni posted:

The ssupd Meshclicious

read this as "the stupid Meshlicious"

I think you're the first goon with one of these, let us know how the build goes :f5:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm waiting on a few things from ol Amyzon to build it up, but first impressions are extremely positive. It is without a doubt the most premium feeling, well thought-out case I've ever used and i've used a LOT. Def doesnt feel like a janky kickstarter ITX case... which it shouldn't at the price (and it was actually designed and built by Lian Li), but it even beats the Bequiet/Fractal/NZXT cases I've worked in lately for just overall fit and finish. Tolerances are super tight, and the push-pins on all the panels feel great.

If you are truly a mad lad, you could even theoretically get a FTW3 in there (which i absolutely won't be doing):

Because my desires are more... unconventional. :twisted: :twisted: A little mock up with some old dummy drives. I think i'm gonna be able to make this work with 4 x 3.5 + the tuner card (that i probably won't actually use) by rotating the metal brackets meant for the video card. Might have to resort to some ol' Digital Horders Friend with double side tape on the drives in places, but should be fun regardless.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I placed an order for the Xproto-L, let's see how dedicated I am to cleaning the sumbitch

Lurikeenrock
May 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I placed an order for the Xproto-L, let's see how dedicated I am to cleaning the sumbitch

hot glue every connector and just hit it with the electric leaf blower every so often.

Better yet build some sort of mesh enclosure and totally negate the whole purpose.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Considering to get myself one of these mini itx boards with an inboard cpu as a living room Netflix/Spotify machine

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Stimperor posted:

Considering to get myself one of these mini itx boards with an inboard cpu as a living room Netflix/Spotify machine

If all you want is Netflix and Spotify I think just a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle that? Would cost $40-60 instead of $400-600.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there anything super small/minimal like the mini box m350 but for mATX?

highly vented, metal, enough for a low profile noctua

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

If all you want is Netflix and Spotify I think just a Raspberry Pi 4 can handle that? Would cost $40-60 instead of $400-600.
Or a Chromecast.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tbh i got an nvidia shield and i aint going back. android sucks incredibly bad, but the shield is very snappy and i like the AI upscaling. i wouldnt buy a PC for netflixing this days

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cygni posted:

tbh i got an nvidia shield and i aint going back. android sucks incredibly bad, but the shield is very snappy and i like the AI upscaling. i wouldnt buy a PC for netflixing this days

Zero VGS posted:

Collateral Damage posted:

Or a Chromecast.

There are three reasons.

The most important is that I've tried to run streaming services on raspberry Pi before. But the experience so far as always been super slow, janky and unreliable. I'm seeing videos now of the raspberry pi 4 being able to stream smoothly. I have in fact a 4 model b around. But by comparing the information on the RAM chip I might have one of the 1GB variants. I found the guide that I used at the time, which went through installing a plugin for Netflix into KODI, for which even the 1 GB version should have worked. Maybe these days it's smoother on the software side?

Second reason is that we occassionally use that we might use that PC for the odd little desktop application. Not something that uses power, but something that'd be Windows-based most likely.

The third reason is that I was secretly hoping to build one of these pretty little media center cases. But apparently you can get cute little 'tower' mini cases for your pi too that just look adorable, which might be even better:

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 12, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just take a look at how adorable these are :psyduck:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
If looks and cuteness are a priority by all means build whatever makes you feel happy but from a utility perspective unless you’re trying to do some low to medium power embedded applications an rPi won’t be that great compared to a Shield and there will be some edge cases that it fails (HEVC is one for me). And I think there’s a way to have Remote Desktop setup on the Shield as well so a decent wired network connection should be sufficient for that use case. There’s probably mods for Shield TVs that can make them look pretty as well so it’s not mutually exclusive to have an rPi for modding purposes. Heck, I had an rPi for a while but I went with running everything in containers on my server in the end that is more inline with what I do professionally anyway.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I originally didn't want a Shield because I thought it's a walled garden. But it occurs to me that I could probably sideload the Brave browser onto it, which would give me an ad blocker as well as the ability to stream from a bunch of web-based streaming sites (like kissasian). I'll look into that. I think it boils down to either a Nvidia shield or a mini ITX PC.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I picked up an Intel NUC on ebay. It's broadwell and had no SSD or power supply so it was $75. I used a universal laptop charger I had spare for the power brick and put in a 250 GB NVMe for $40. Set top box just running windows.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah having a full windows box hooked to the tv is nice. Sometimes browsing for things on the big screen is zen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rexxed posted:

I picked up an Intel NUC on ebay. It's broadwell and had no SSD or power supply so it was $75. I used a universal laptop charger I had spare for the power brick and put in a 250 GB NVMe for $40. Set top box just running windows.

That too, I use Intel nucs at work. They have a 3-year warranty from original date of purchase so if you can get one that's used but only like a year old and get the receipt, Intel will back you up.