Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man cooling is gonna be a bitch on that, or at least it's gonna be loud as poo poo in 4k. Still that'll be one hell of a computer. Why are you getting a HDD alongside a 1TB SSD? Surely you won't need that much storage space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Let's talk about small and silent SFF PCs. Has anyone managed to find a blower style GPU that's better than a 970 that is actually silent at idle, or just very very quiet in general? I managed to get my PC (in a Node 202 case) pretty much 100% silent at idle, but the blower style GPU fan can't be turned off, even after I flashed the BIOS to allow for a 0% fan speed, because it has a hardware limiter that locks it at about 25% fan speed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AEMINAL posted:

Runs at about 65-67 with the fan at 40% in Battlefield 1

Edit: also its dead quiet, at first I kept thinking my PC had shut off when I got home lol

You're talking about a blower card?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm at a crossroads. I really like using a small case that is VERY silent (100% silent at rest) that can run video games at very high resolution, so everything is already an uphill battle.

I currently use a Node 202 with a 970 and 6500. I'm thinking of upgrading it to a 1080 and 7700k to take advantage of my new 1440p@144Hz G-sync monitor. However, the Node 202 has very little space for a nice CPU cooler so it might be prudent to simply get the 7700, so I don't have to mess around with overclocking and worrying about CPU temps (my current Noctua is very silent and efficient). Since I won't be able to get a sufficient cooler for overclocking, I THINK I should just get the 7700 but I don't know-- maybe someone here knows better.

As far as graphics cards go, I'm curious if a 1080 is even a prudent choice since as I understand it, they can't even sufficiently carry 1440p@144Hz without SLI poo poo. Would the 1080Ti even be able to carry that performance?

e: or I could just get another very small and very cool case. That Dan A4 looks good, but I guess they're not available.

jokes fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 11, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm going on an adventure!

I've decided I'm going to build me a console-sized rig that is dead silent when not at load, and can accommodate the strongest graphics cards available-- specifically for my ACER XB271HU which does 1440p@144Hz with G-sync. When those two things are sorted out, I'm gonna try to do the overclock game.

Right now, in addition to a simple i5-6500 I won't be loving with just yet, I use a node 202 (mITX) with the integra 450 SFX PSU it came with, a GTX 970 Asus Turbo, and a Noctua CPU Cooler. I also use two 120mm Noctua Nf-12 case fans but honestly they don't do much.

The build is near-silent at rest but it's not DEAD silent and I am willing to spend a lot of money to make my dreams come true.

First things first, I'm switching to the FTZ-01 by Silverstone. This case is very similar to the Node 202, but it has two features. First, it's not as wide so it's cuter, and second: it accommodates open-air graphics cards. One of the lovely things about blower-style/reference video cards is that there are no models, to my knowledge, that go silent when not in use. The node 202 doesn't accommodate open-air coolers because its graphics card chamber is too small and poorly ventilated. It also causes a good amount of heat to wash over the processor causing other problems. The FTZ-01 somehow remedies this. When I get it, we'll see about that, because I have already bought this MSI GTX 1080 Armor OC.

Next stop is the PSU. Since the Node 202 came with the Integra 450 SFX PSU, I decided to change to the Corsair SF450. This little guy does not engage the fans until at load. So that should solve that problem. Total TDP for a 1080 and the rest of my stuff is somewhere around 375w so I'm good with the 450w and not the 600w.

And my final stop for this first foray into silent PC builds are the CPU coolers and case fans. Now, since these cases are so tiny this is where my only real compromise will be. I can't go for one of them fanless styles because they are gigantic (unless I've missed a smaller version). However, I CAN make my motherboard have a smart fan setting in the BIOS that only turns the CPU cooler on when it reaches 50c. Alternatively, I just let the little guy run constantly since it's basically silent and I never know if it's on or not as it is. The case fans will be controlled by a fan controller I'll pick up for like $10 somewhere that I'll manually turn on when I'm going to play a video game.

In any event, I'm wondering: since my next step will be to change my motherboard and CPU situation since my CPU bottlenecks my GPU hard but likely won't be overclocking, would I get a Zx70 Hx70 or Bx70? And, more importantly, should I shoot for the x270 motherboard chipset if I'm more likely than not going to get an i7-7700 or i7-7700k?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Strangely enough, the Node 202 actually has space for two 120mm fans in the graphics card chamber. The issue is that in using them, you're effectively blocking the side vents meaning the hot air can only exit via the rear port area for the graphics card. The rest of the heat has to necessarily flow upward into the CPU chamber, eventually venting out the top and back of the whole case after washing over every other component.

The FTZ01 thankfully has a bigass vent for letting heat out right in the graphics card chamber that the Node 202 doesn't necessarily match; I'm PRETTY sure that's why the FTZ01 is able to get such better temperatures than the node 202 with open air graphics cards.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dali Parton posted:

For the dudes who are trying to build a DEAD SILENT case, consider that a random component like your GPU may have coil whine which sorta invalidates the whole thing :smith:

Although to be fair, I don't know how well noise dampening cases handle high pitched cool whine.

Coil whine is a valid reason for a return. I also recommend buying graphics cards from a place like micro center or Fry's because they do returns proper.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

buglord posted:

Yeah. Only mention it because I have neither of those places near me, and while EVGA came in clutch with their advanced RMA solution, I still got another 'whiner. This generation build is the only time I experienced cool whine, but this is also the first build that I put on my desk next to my monitor, with practically zero fan noise (which might have made it finally audible?).

That's a tough break bro. I feel like this generation of GPUs had a lot more problems than others, what with some of them exploding and whatnot so I just assume each GPU purchase is a raffle ticket for a grab bag of hosed up poo poo. Then again, I've also never been involved with GPU chat until the GTX900 series came out.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Problem with the S4 Mini is simply that there are no meshes so it's gonna get real dusty (I think) and the power supply is gonna be a hassle. I'd rather not deal with a power brick or whatever. Plus it looks like it belongs in a machine shop.

Also the problem is that they're out of stock I guess. :smith:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Zero VGS posted:

Buy this for $50 and never speak of dust again: https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/

"it looks like it belongs in a machine shop" is that supposed to mean not awesome? I don't get it.

Like, I own one that I'm still building up, it is rock solid though. The power supply is not a hassle, you just chuck it behind your desk, and take it with you if you're traveling, like you would with a laptop.

I don't know why people are down on the laptop bricks, hell people pay extra money for a fanless desktop PSU when every laptop PSU is fanless and has it's own ruggedized shell.

Truth be told, just as I'm close to finishing this S4 build, that drat ASRock MXM motherboard comes along and I'm seriously considering paying the MXM GPU tax for that because it's practically a NUC-sized GTX 1080 PC that is upgradable... need to talk myself out of it.

I guess I just prefer that simple/minimal look that companies like Apple or Streacom use. Smooth, brushed aluminum that honestly isn't particularly functional but looks "clean". But poo poo that S4 mini looks cute, I think I'm just salty because I can't get one for a while.

The best, and only redeeming factor, in having a big rear end power brick for your computer is that it allows you to reduce the number of fans by 1 and, with a fan controller, you can go semi-fanless for sure.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

beepsandboops posted:

How much does open air vs. blower cooling matter in SFF? I'm thinking about getting a new GPU and am wondering if I'm pretty much locked into some Founder's Edition garbage or if I have options.

I thought I remembered seeing some numbers on Hardforum and the difference was negligible.

Depends on the case. If it's PARTICULARLY CRAMPED with no exhaust vents nearby you're gonna need a blower style cooler (Node 202, specifically). Why? Because the open air design makes all the heat naturally dissipate away from the GPU, in the hopes that it will be blown away or removed from the system by the rest of your cooling operation. The cube-style SFF PCs have a natural current of air since they have an exhaust vent, or one large chamber that everything sits in, and a fan is blowing in and/or another fan is blowing out which makes the dissipating heat from the open air get whisked away.

Some cases, like the Node 202, have a compartment with only one intake vent. This chamber is separated from the rest of the components and houses the GPU and maybe some intake fans in that same chamber. The only way for it to escape the chamber is through the back of the panel where the HDMI cases go and in the small hole where the PCI-E cords go. This means while it's running, the heat is necessarily trapped in that chamber: the only vents are used for intake and that hot air gets recycled and blown on the GPU and it gets hot as a motherfucker. If you have a blower style, it necessarily vents the heat out the back of the case solving this problem (but being loud as gently caress).

The FTZ-01 and S4 Mini are both cases that feature a bunch of vents for hot air to escape from, meaning they don't need blower-style GPUs. Blower-styles will be effective in them, but they aren't necessary like they are in other certain cases.

Other cases, like the SG-13, or other cube-ish style SFF cases usually have a single chamber that isn't separated and an exhaust vent where all the air in the case gets blown out, along with other vents for natural air exchange. Some even have intake fans to bolster this process so that fresh air is being dumped into the case where it mixes with the heat from ALL components which vents out via the outtake fan and other vents.

The takeaway is this: any case that has a separate chamber for a GPU needs vents in that chamber that aren't used for intake of air so that the hot air can get the gently caress out of that bitch after being heated up by the GPU itself.

In any case where there's just one big chamber, like a normal ATX tower or most cube-design ITX cases, the difference is negligible meaning you should get open-air coolers, since they are more silent and marginally more effective at cooling the GPU down. If you're looking for tiny-rear end cramped designs, it's prudent to consider if the hot air from the GPU will be able to be vented out of the case. If so, get an open-air. If not, get a blower and some ear plugs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Probably not great since the CPU is usually underpowered and locked. It'll throttle from heat or reach its usage limit real early.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rabid Snake posted:

Switching from my Gigabyte G1 1070 (open air cooler) to my Nvidia 1080 Ti Founders Edition (Blower) in my RVZ02 has a noticable difference in temperatures when it comes to my CPU.

I used to hit 85-90 degrees celsius when streaming (CPU encoding) and playing a game. With the blower, I haven't even hit 80 degrees on my CPU yet when playing and streaming. I'm surprised it's that big of a difference because the RVZ02 has it's own GPU chamber but I guess my G1 1070 just recycled hot air

Yeah, but that blower's loud.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Paul MaudDib posted:

My RVZ01 uses a 90-degree PCB-type adapter. It's fine.

Same. No problems here, same case, same riser. I think the risers are just so standardized these days, it's not worht worrying about. Then again I've only been dealing with them for 3 years now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Olivil posted:

Instead of a gaming SFF, how stupid would it be to run something like a NUC with an external GPU? I'm talking GTX 1080 class GPU.

I figure there's always an overhead with an external GPU but it seems so much easier to manage the temperature, and so I would guess less thermal throttle. Maybe it gets even in the end?

I'm with you here but eGPUs lose a good 30% performance off the top and have their own wonky build requirements and compatibility issues. Then your CPU will get taxed enough to cause problems bc of heat management and you'll be spending more making the eGPU stuff work instead of just shoving it all into an RVZ01 or whatever. But man I want to make it work.

I have a 7700k and 1080 in an ITX and game on a 144Hz 1440p monitor (gsync). CPU only gets higher than 70C when the room gets hot. I think I just really want a NUC for some reason.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

VulgarandStupid posted:

They were pretty quick, but I can't remember how long it took. I bought an 8400 before picking up an 8700K due to unavailability, then I let it sit for a few days until I had time to swap the 8700K. My guess is you could have it back within a week, including shipping both ways.

I'm looking at that 8400. I have a 6700k I don't overclock (I was going to before I got an ITX case) that I can sell for roughly what I paid for it and buy an 8400 instead. Swapping out my motherboard with a newer B-class one, I'll end up making like $50. Am I correct in seeing that an 8400 is as good as a non-OC i7-6700k?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, Macs have Mac Minis now and have pretty stellar eGPU support they might as well do something to up the small form factor game.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Absolutely solid already, but to avoid future annoying phone calls maybe consider getting 32GB RAM?

Holy poo poo RAM is cheap again

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Seems my eGPU plugged into my Surface Pro 8 (i7/16GB) is a massive success and I can sell my computer parts.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

NUCs are a good buy if you just need a computer for simple home use without games, and don’t want a laptop for whatever reason. Not much better on the value side, but much more discrete on your desk.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do not ever gently caress with electricity. I use the cords that came with the PSU or I don't use the PSU.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ughhhh posted:

I know people have been raving about the steam deck, but what is it? Is it like the steam link they sold a while back or is it a stand alone portable console like a switch?

It's a standalone portable console (technically a Linux machine) and it runs everything locally and has the same form factor as a Switch but a lot more ergonomic (and a bit bigger).

It comes pre-loaded with SteamOS which has two sides: the console-like experience "gaming mode" which is its default UI/UX, very similar to Steam's big picture mode. You never need to switch away from Gaming Mode unless you're a tinkerer (or want to do emulation).

If you can do something on Linux, you can do it on the Deck. You can even install Windows on it. You can also run the "desktop mode" which is more of a standard linux desktop.

You buy the thing, turn on the thing, sign into steam, update the thing, download a game, and then you play the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wonton posted:

Sometimes I’m tempted to just throw my hands up and stick with thunderbolt external GPU. Does it work in practice ? Sounds decently good in theory.

I’ll get an ultra SFF with just ram and barely any HDD, everything is stored in the network.

Or I’ll just virtualize the crap out of everything and stick a server in some rack with modified fans

I have a 3080 in an eGPU (Razer Core) and play pretty much everything at roughly 4k60. It's connected to a surface pro 8 i7 which I use as my only computer. The i7 rarely needs to spin up the fans, but I also don't play poo poo like Cyberpunk or whatever.

Except for some games, like Total War: Warhammer 3 or other games that are extremely, extremely unoptimized. Warhammer 3, for example, I'm at a stable 4k/60 in battles, and way, way less on the campaign map somehow. So much so, that I just dropped the resolution to 1440p instead of 4k to keep it at roughly 40-50 FPS on the campaign map. Stranger of Paradise? You better believe it has slowdown and I can't run it at 4k.

eGPUs tend to take a haircut off your total processing throughput but rarely is the problem seated in the hardware nowadays. It's almost always just game-specific poo poo. Maybe a 4090 can handle everything but I don't believe it.

Nice thing about this eGPU is that the GPU is seated vertically so you won't get wobble-wobble

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 20, 2023