Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Hello fellow SFF enthusiasts,

With the announcement of Razers mini-ITX im wanting to build an ITX finally. However it doesnt look like that box will be shipping to the UK anytime soon.

Does anyone have any case recommendations that are similar to that? Ive been looking at the In WIn A1 Plus case too.

Current parts i have

Ryzen 3900x (i already have a Mini-ITX case thanks to ordering the wrong part)
Corsair RGB RAM
Corsair H100i SE
EVGA 1080ti FTW3

i dont have a SF PSU so will need to get one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Internal layout looks basically identical to the CoolerMaster NR200P

hmm yes it does. Thanks.

Also just found out via Razer support that their itx is shipping worldwide come november so might hold off.

Hnnngg, that being said. That CM box is nice. But is also not available until late Nov

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 13, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

I do like the sharp lines of the Razer though, but woof that price. That's entering MCase and FormD territory.

That RGB premium yo.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

I dunno, I feel you'd be better off with the NR200 and a lightstrip, the Razer case is still steel, at that price I'd be hoping for aluminium.

Yeah maybe, im a huge razer fanboi though and have a few things that hook into Synapse though.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

I just looked at the Razer site, and yeah that's an NR200 with the serial numbers filed off, and a premium tacked on for the snek logo.

Get the NR200 and be happier with yourself.

Yeah, the shape is slightly different, the Razer one doesnt have the rounded edges.

I do like the white option for the NR200 though

Id have to go for the NR200p as i want a glass side.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ill also have to get an SF PSU, PC partpicker figures my current build uses about 450W, judging for miscalculations i figured i would be safe with a 650W

Something like this

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-evga-supernova-650gm-fully-modular-80-plus-gold-single-rail-541a-92mm-fan-sfx-psu

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 13, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I mean my 1080ti is still kicking lumps out of everything i throw at it.

But future proofing isnt the worst idea i guess.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Since there's no definitive date that the NR200p will be back in stock in the UK does anyone have any other suggestions?

Basically it just needs to be large enough to house a 320mm GPU. And preferably not a cube. I also have a motherboard that's not got a vertical GPU mount

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Hell my AX760 came with a 10 year warranty. It's currently on year 7 of it's life.

Man, you're just 3mm too long for an NCase M1 :(

I mean the other option is sell the 1080Ti and buy a smaller card.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The more I think about it the more I might cut my losses and sell the 1080ti and get a 3070 or something

Which will give me more case options.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Anyone got any experience or knowledge of the Fractal Design era cases?

I imagine thermals in that might be an issue as the side doesn't have much give to it

Yeah from reviews that case looks like it has a lot of issues.

Shame, looks nice.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Urgh...I don't know what to do.

I either tread water and see if the n200 comes back in stock. Or sell my GPU and buy a smaller form card and a NCase m1

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

abraham linksys posted:

you can join me in giving up, buying an NZXT 510 and a micro ATX board, and continuing to read this thread anyways for maximum FOMO :shepface:

(I actually haven't actually bought that stuff yet and I've genuinely been thinking about sticking a mini ITX board in a cheap-rear end ATX case as a stopgap until the NR200 comes back, but otoh I'll feel like an idiot if I never get around to upgrading and I'm just running an ITX board in a bigass case)

I currently have a micro atx case and board, but the issue is space. The rig is currently in a cupboard and not getting very good ventilation so i want something i can put behind a monitor on my desk (or at least between monitor and wall

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I guess I'll pre order one off scan and just sit on my hands until it gets here

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

Don't sell your GPU until you have an invoice on the replacement. Also find a better place to store your LEGO and vinyl collection. And wipe off your monitor screen.

Lego and vinyl collection has been moved and the monitor has already been wiped.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ordered a NR200p off of newegg

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NR200P arrived :toot:

But Corsair havnt shipped my PSU yet :negative:

So in the mean time...what is the "optimal" fan placement for this case?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Most arrangements work and the difference is a couple of degrees between different configurations, but from watching a lot of people way more meticulous than me testing these things, 2x exhaust fans on top, cpu cooler exhausting out the back, extra fans as intake on the bottom if you want.

This top video channel goes into way more detail than you'd ever need and the guy has a weird voice but he's meticulous in his testing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcZxU_wlhB0

This video shows that most builds are generally fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1B2tai1yg

Cheers,

Im torn on what to put in it.

I currently have a H100i SE 280mm AIO, so if i put that in i would probably have 2 exhaust at the top. Then potentially put the fans that came with the case on the bottom, or one on the bottom and 1 on the rear (bottom one as intake, rear as outtake).

The other option is to use the AMD Ryzen stock cooler and just have the two fans one exhaust on top and 1 rear

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

The rear fan mount is only 90mm and the two fans that come with the nr200p are 120mm so that's out. I think 280mm AIOs have to go on the side panel, so you could do that with the two case fans as a bottom intake and top exhaust.

Yeah the only annoying thing about that is id have to commit to the side mount. Which im not sure about as ive not settled on if i want the mesh or the glass panel yet.

I might buy a 90mm fan from somewhere.

Eh. Yeah i think the 280mm AIO is a bit too big for what i want to do. Looks like another part to sell off.

Gonna try initially with the stock Ryzen with a 92mm on the back as exhaust and 2 exhausts on top and see how that goes.

Or rather, initially have no back exhaust and just have the two on top.

Oh, the AIO i have is a 240mm, not a 280

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 19, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Still. I think I might air cool this case. The insane amount of cables on the aio might make cable mgmt a nightmare

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Romes128 posted:

Buy a case with no side window. Problem solved.

I have a case with no side window....the NR200p has the option of a perforated window or a tempered glass

But I can't be dealing with lovely cable management

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Romes128 posted:

I was just joshing

I got a SM580 and I can still see through the perforations so I cable managed the heck out of it. As best as can be done with that case anyway.

Ah I see. Id posted a reem of nonsense so the original post might have been missed

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

teagone posted:

The Metalfish S5 is back in stock at AliExpress for anyone interested in doing an SFF build with a full mATX board. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000221324472.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6d813c00a07TeV&mp=1 400+ units in stock it looks like.

Has anyone here ever put an order through AliExpress? Are they reliable?

I know a few people that have ordered guitars from there before. I've ordered some keyboard bits and pieces from there too.

It's just a chinese factory outlet essentially. The quality is very YMMV but it's reliable in terms of you will receive your order.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NR200P built. Think I'm gonna stick with the perforated side for now.

Cable management is not good right now. Might improve, or not...

I'm probably gonna switch the mounting of the psu to a side mount as opposed to the back mount to get more room for cabling

Anyone who is building this. For the love of God put the GPU in last. like even after you have put the sides back on, then install the GPU.

For some reason only 1 top fan is working atm but I think I know why (possible wrong header on the Mobo).

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 21, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

One solution I saw with the nr200 was routing some of the cables through the area behind the front panel where the two ssd bays are, dunno how useful that'll be until I get some poo poo to put in my own case but I've seen some clean builds online using that method

I'll give it a try tomorrow and will report back.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Took everything apart and re did the cable work. Almost hosed it as I didn't put the cpu back in right and caused boot issues.

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 21, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Warmachine posted:

So my first read on this had me thinking for some reason you unsocketed your CPU for cable work (which had me confused) and somehow managed to put it back in, clamp it down, and mount the heatsink wrong (which confused me more and also made me anxious).

Then I realized you meant you did something wrong with the EPS cable.

Nope you are right.

I re-did the paste and somehow hosed up remounting something. The heatsink was mounted correctly but I think the CPU was slightly off.

Trust me. I was making GBS threads myself

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 21, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

You bet your rear end I'm taking photos of an ITX board in a full tower case because I can't get an NR200.

You can....you just need to pay £60 for shipping and import charges like me because I'm a loving mug

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

When is the U12a chromax supposed to be out?

I'm torn between that and the Scythe.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

Q1 2021, they have a roadmap on their site but not sure how often they update it.

Hmmmnggggg that's not cool. Guess I'll go with the scythe

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Is it worth paying almost double for the Noctua over the Scythe? I can't find anything to justify it or is it just Noctua is a more well known brand?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sphyre posted:

don't you have a 280mm corsair aio lying around? use that

TG panels don't belong in an sff build as it's space that should be used for ventilation :colbert:

I'm selling that off. I tried to fit it in and it was a mess. I don't like side mounting the radiator and I'm done with aios

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 24, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

ijyt posted:

I don't think so, I think the Fuma 2 and NH-U12A are pretty much on par for noise and performance.

e: Decided to say gently caress it and order the NR200P from Newegg as I saw it shipping from the UK and :negative:

Shhhh ouch. Glad I pulled the trigger now

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Unlike the SG14 I like that the NR200 has a white version but holy crap does it annoy me that they thought it was a good idea to do SFX brackets by default especially during a global PSU shortage. At least there's going to be an official ATX bracket...

...mid 2021 :shepface:

Global PSU shortage?

Eh?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

B-Mac posted:

It’s absolutely been a pain in rear end to find PSUs, especially Corsair SFX unit and when you can find them they are over MSRP.

Corsair have them on their site atm.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I bought a 650 last week and even if I upped my 1080Ti to a 3080 I'd still be about 100W under capacity.

Thats with a 3900X so I don't really agree with saying you are gimping your options.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Sorry. I bought a 600W plat not a 650

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

NewEgg has the Nr200p in white. The P version comes with both mesh side and perforated side so you can choose which you want.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

movax posted:

Whoops, I should have clarified, looking for NR200 in black. Not interested in glass sides / extra hardware I'll just toss — from briefly groking this thread, seems like the Fuma 2 fits just fine with either side panel, and is actually better for this case than the usual Noctua suspects.

My fuma 2 comes soon so I'll let you know but yeah that seems to be the general consensus.

Ah didn't realise you were after black. Some YT channel I follow posted that somewhere had it in stock so obviously now I can't find which site it was...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Just spray paint it