Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

You crack me up, lil buddy!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are those avotons grunty enough for plex 1080p transcoding?

I can play 1080p blu-ray images quite happily at a variety of transcoded resolutions on a C2750 (running freenas with plex in a Jail). CPU usage gets pretty high though:

May not work on the C2550.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

Triikan posted:

Is the 705% number mean the 8 cores are running at ~90% or is there another number I'm supposed to be looking at? Got a sweet deal on this board, just waiting on drives, and was hoping to stream to multiple people. I can always have a separate machine handle that, so no big deal.

If you're not re-encoding, it'll basically do whatever (and unless you're running a really slow network or old devices, you shouldn't need to re-encode the video often).

If you ARE re-encoding, it's not quite as bad as it looks. That's pretty much your worst-case scenario - stupidly high-bitrate bluray image to high-bit-rate 1080p output. On further investigation, it also drops significantly after a few minutes, so I assume it's just pre-encoding a bunch incase something goes wrong. Either way, I can definitely play a couple of streams simultaneously, re-encoding both to 10mbit 1080p.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

Doh004 posted:

I'm looking to build my own machine to run a dedicated Plex server and have been playing around with a bunch of configurations. Currently landed on the Node 202 case but I'm curious if laptop 2.5" hard drives can fit in its 2 x 2.5" slots? They're listed as "2 - 2.5? SSD unit positions" on the NewEgg product page so I'm not too sure. Basically, I don't need this machine to be a huge, expandable, raid array but am trying to see if I can slap a couple 4tb WD Greens in there vs 2TB SSDs.

The only variance in size between 2.5" drives is height - they are the same length/width and have the same screw-holes for mounting, but some of the platter drives are thicker. The node 202 explicitly lists a height limitation of 10.5mm, which means some of the thicker (higher-capacity, generally) laptop drives won't fit - including the 4TB WD greens.

Talaii
Sep 5, 2003

Ne Cede Malis posted:

Looking to get a 1440p setup in a mini itx form factor to finally play games now that I'm stuck inside for the rest of the year.

I live in a small space so i'd like something that's as silent as possible. I don't have a lot of time to custom build a water cooled system by hand so prebuilt would be nice. Are there any retailers out there that offer a silent, small gaming rig for $1500-2,500? The digital storm bolt x is pretty much perfect but they don't offer graphics card water cooling for anything less than a RTX 2080 which pushes the total up to >3k. Are there straightforward water cooling kits for RX 5600 XT or RX5700's?

For most ITX PCs, the obnoxious sound will come from the CPU cooler, not the graphics card. Modern graphics cards will clock themselves down unless you're actively gaming, so you'll only get noise from them while gaming, and games tend to generate a lot of sound all on their own - it might be annoying for someone else in the space if you're using headphones, but you won't be bothered by it. If you want something that is just quiet when idle/under non-gaming use, then, just get something with a nice big CPU cooler. This means avoiding the really small ITX cases, but otherwise isn't that difficult. Adjust down the fans to a nice low speed and it'll be almost silent - and, depending on your case, a large air cooler can actually be quieter than a water cooler, since you have one less moving part (no pump) and the fans are further inside the case.

Now, if you do need absolute silence while gaming, too, that's a bit harder. Not many people make water cooling gear - or custom coolers in general - for lower-end video cards. The market for ~$100 aftermarket coolers for $250 video cards just isn't big - most of the prospective customers would rather buy a faster card than invest so much in cooling a slower one. You are probably better off buying a lower-power-draw card (a ~150W 5600XT not a ~225W 5700XT) with a big beefy cooler and then undervolt / underclock and fiddle with the fan curve if it's still too loud.