Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I’m looking to build a small, quiet gaming PC. I haven’t built a PC in years. I have DDR4 RAM, M.2 SSDs and any external peripherals I might need. I also have a spare Windows 10 license.

I have no idea what kind of case, fan, board, graphics card to get. I can spend $1200-1500, if I have to.

Quiet and small are more important than fast. NUCs don’t seem to be able to hold a decent graphics card. Is Mini-ITX the way?

TIA

e: this was recommended on /r/buildapcforme - is it reasonable?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CP64x6

beefnoodle fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Thanks both. Starting with “how small can I go and still get a decent graphics card” was the first step.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Warmachine posted:

The answer to this is "really god drat small."

If you take my 2060 super/3600 advice, you can slap that in a Velka 3 and have the tiniest 1080 gaming PC in the world. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_1x9cWbOE

That said, good luck sourcing the parts. I don't think I've seen a Velka 3 in stock in the past year, and the GPU shortages from COVID combined with the imminent release of the next gen cards makes anything other than the leftover full size cards impossible to find. (Plus the Velka's reliance on the flex ATX power supply makes it loving loud.)

I'd say the SFF size range goes between the Velka 3 and the NR200, so pick something in that range and I can give recommendations.

Wow, that's pretty drat small. Not sure I could get my hands in there to connect it all up!

This is all great info, I'll come back for more specific help once I've done some more learning.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

Warmachine posted:

I'd say the SFF size range goes between the Velka 3 and the NR200, so pick something in that range and I can give recommendations.

I pre-ordered the NR200. Looks promising.