Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Lovely Senorita posted:

if berserkers are about having to get obscene amounts of EXP, red mages are about obscene amounts of gil to afford all of those rods

I think it took about 40 or 50 rods to down Atomos and that's a middle-of-the-game boss; you're not allowed to break rods at all against big bad Omniscient

You'll get a lot of Gil from grinding statues in order to unlock Dualcast.

Best walk through is the Freelancer one where every strategy is "break rods until everything dies".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Neo Exdeath can be a real bastard, especially for certain teams. I kind of think he's the hardest normal (i.e. non-optional/secret/postgame) final boss in the series.

There's a whole bunch of little tricks regulars use to grease the wheels of that encounter a little bit. Make sure you grab the Magic Lamp, for example. Check the document!

I used the magic lamp and stuff, I could usually kill 2 parts, but I needed to grind more to have the hp/damage to finish the fight.

My team was Berserker, Berserker, Black Mage, Red Mage.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mega64 posted:

You'll get a lot of Gil from grinding statues in order to unlock Dualcast.
I did this

it was not worth it, at all

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My test fuckin' run rolled Berserker. Goddamnit.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
I didn't do BERSERKERRISK last year, but will this time. If I'm unlucky enough to roll three zerks, what would hypothetically be the best and worst jobs to have as my one non-berserker?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Yes, I'm going to get in on the ground floor this year and actually play through most of this game! I don't know if I should swallow my pride and get the iOS version or jump through some hoops to get a handheld version. I'd rather not play it on my laptop.

Where do I mail my :10bux:?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Mountaineer posted:

I didn't do BERSERKERRISK last year, but will this time. If I'm unlucky enough to roll three zerks, what would hypothetically be the best and worst jobs to have as my one non-berserker?

Summoner or Bard, Knight or Geomancer or some other poo poo like that.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Mountaineer posted:

I didn't do BERSERKERRISK last year, but will this time. If I'm unlucky enough to roll three zerks, what would be the best and worst jobs to have as my one non-berserker?

In Best I'd put white/blue mage. Both can buff and heal the team. After that, Ninja/Knight to really give the team damage.

For worst, thief or geomancer.

Edit: VVVVVV I suppose

Huzzah! fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 20, 2016

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Thief wouldn't be so bad, because at least you could put Artful Dodger on the berserkers.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mountaineer posted:

Thief wouldn't be so bad, because at least you could put Artful Dodger on the berserkers.

There are good knives to use too. My 1st/2nd? run last year i just used all the rad knives with my berserker. probably 1st cause you still get berserker tree'd even w/o risk

I kind of feel like just making a spreadsheet to give me a true random run (chaos rules without being weighted towards any class) without duplicates

That way I don't have to wait for the fiesta and maybe i can do an official run later in the summer

Its always such a pain hearing about the fiesta weeks / days before it starts. I wish RK would start it each year when he starts the stream not when he finishes his run

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Man am I ever fuckin' smart. I guess Rods are pretty busted in this game, then, if they have their own categorizing

I should go read an LP or something before the thing starts so I have half a clue going in

Rods give you 185 base damage spells at a point where you otherwise only have 50 (or 75 with the other use of rods). So instead of hitting some nerd for a few hundred you hit him for like 3k of his 2k hp.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
It's worth noting that despite the undying enmity many of us have for Geomancer, if you're on the mobile or a mobile-derived version, Geomancer gains the interesting feature of being broken overpowered in certain areas because they removed the level cap from !Gaia's results table. It's a very different beast when some zones give you a 50% chance of not-Meteo regardless of level. It's still not a great class and it actually breaks Geo's potential usefulness in a few select areas (or changes nothing, like how the Void has Wind Slash in every column), but it's much better than the Geo most of us are used to.

This isn't a reason to play mobile over GBA, but it's something to remember if you have no other choice.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

remember to follow gilgabot on twitter
in two weeks time when hes not tweeting eighty identical meme tweets

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

I did this

it was not worth it, at all

In most cases it's not, but when you have a team that has no better healing options you pretty much need Dualcast Cura to stay alive against Neo.

I'll go ahead and say I'd pick Red Mage over Monk. At least Red Mage has some interesting tools in its arsenal, even if they mostly all suck. Monk is boring as hell and has little-to-no strategy to it and by the end game is just a chunk of HP for whatever ability you may want to spam and little else.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Okay this time i'll actually finish the fiesta. Last time I got all excited and did a bunch of prep runs and burnt myself out when it came to the fiesta run.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Friend of mine pointed me to this and I kinda' want to give it a go, in spite of the fact that I've never played a single main-series Final Fantasy game in my entire life. Excited to get my rear handed to me in record time.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005
Question:
Does it have to be a phone or handheld version or can I just get the Steam copy as I would like to either record for YouTube or stream on Twitch.

Question #2:
Is anyone doing teams and can I be on one?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I wonder if the mystery command is just like, #regmystery or something. Whatever it is i hope to try it out after I do my first berserker risk.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

karn1635 posted:

Question:
Does it have to be a phone or handheld version or can I just get the Steam copy as I would like to either record for YouTube or stream on Twitch.

Question #2:

You can use whatever version. I'd like to do a run on my Super Famicom cart this year but I'm worried I'll roll chemist and have problems reading item names in Japanese. Note the Steam/Phone versions remove a lot of tricks that make bosses easier, or depending on your job rolls, even possible.

I'm not sure if anyone does teams.. or really how they'd work for this. Normally you just roll solo since it's a singleplayer game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Totally in on it this year, I missed out on 2014 and 2015. Maybe I'll even have a Berserker or two. :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, for those who are joining in for the first time, the Fiesta usually runs until the end of August/start of September. So feel free to take your time and get a feel for the game instead of trying to speed your way through your first run. Once you complete a run, you can always sign up for another if you want to try again with a different combination of jobs.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

karn1635 posted:

Question:

Question #2:

Download an emulator. The ios/steam versions are hideous and they removed a bunch of neat tricks. Everyone says the GBA version is the best so just emulate that on your pc (although I personally prefer the SNES version). Emulators also have speedup which is rad.

Any version is OK according to the rules, though.

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Tyty posted:

You can use whatever version. I'd like to do a run on my Super Famicom cart this year but I'm worried I'll roll chemist and have problems reading item names in Japanese. Note the Steam/Phone versions remove a lot of tricks that make bosses easier, or depending on your job rolls, even possible.

I'm not sure if anyone does teams.. or really how they'd work for this. Normally you just roll solo since it's a singleplayer game.

Without getting into too much detail is this like glitch mechanic based or just revisions of abiltiies/game mechanics that make certain encounters incapable of being beaten?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Ultigonio posted:

Friend of mine pointed me to this and I kinda' want to give it a go, in spite of the fact that I've never played a single main-series Final Fantasy game in my entire life. Excited to get my rear handed to me in record time.

Only issue is after playing the best Final Fantasy all the others will look terrible in comparison. Otherwise, there's a ton of people in the thread and in IRC eager to help out if you get stuck.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

karn1635 posted:

Without getting into too much detail is this like glitch mechanic based or just revisions of abiltiies/game mechanics that make certain encounters incapable of being beaten?

Revisions, mostly. For instance, one boss resets the fight if you use anything besides magic on him. This is a spell, so a strategy is to make him run out of mp. In the phone/steam release he can cast it whether he has mp or not.

There's lots of other little things like that. It's mostly still okay, but typically people prefer the GBA version with a patch to fix slowdown.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Woo time for my summer time waster.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tyty posted:

but typically people prefer the GBA version with a patch to fix slowdown.

The GBA version was exactingly coded to replicate the SNES version, to the point where they coded a replication of the bug with agility and some weapons that behaves exactly the same on purpose. The only thing it fixes from SNES is stat underflow, IIRC.

There's also the PS1 version via Anthologies. Don't use it unless somehow you literally cannot play FF5 otherwise, as this game doesn't mesh well with PS1 load times.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

AhahaAHAHAHAHAHAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a concise rundown of the pros/cons of the different platforms to play FFV on? I think by now there's, what, 5? (SNES, GBA, PS1, Mobile, Steam)

theSpokeyDokey
Jul 19, 2005

Tyty posted:

Revisions, mostly. For instance, one boss resets the fight if you use anything besides magic on him. This is a spell, so a strategy is to make him run out of mp. In the phone/steam release he can cast it whether he has mp or not.

There's lots of other little things like that. It's mostly still okay, but typically people prefer the GBA version with a patch to fix slowdown.

So basically the way this works is, I choose a game type and spin a wheel (Gilgabot) and the wheel determines my party comp for the playthrough?

[Edit:] And the Bankrupt spot on the wheel is 4 x Berserker and I can choose to have more Bankrupt spots put on the wheel when I register?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

StrangeAeon posted:

Actually, now that I think of it, is there a concise rundown of the pros/cons of the different platforms to play FFV on? I think by now there's, what, 5? (SNES, GBA, PS1, Mobile, Steam)

SNES: Has access to the magic underflow and Ancient Library Teleport glitch
PS1: SNES but with awful load times and the world's worst translation ever, avoid
GBA: Auto-dash available, better translation, Quicksave glitch (US version only)
Mobile/Steam: GBA but with different art (people say it's worse, I don't agree), some tricks/glitches fixed (Calm fixed to only affect magical beasts as opposed to everything but Magical Beasts, Omniscient can cast Reset with 0 MP, etc)

The GBA version is usually considered the definitive version, but you can fiesta on anything, really.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

StrangeAeon posted:

SNES - never an officially released english version. There is a fan translation that's fine, if pretty dry.
GBA - looks a bit better than the SNES version. Was given a goofy/fun translation that gives the game a lot more character. Some very late-game bonus jobs that aren't included in the fiesta.
PS1 - Looks like the SNES version. Terrible translation (sometimes so bad it's good, but normally just kinda bad). Hard-coded "load times" that make opening any menus or starting battle slow. Worst version.
Mobile & Steam - Ugly as sin "HD" graphics. "Fixes" a few tricks from the other versions that make some battles much harder/impossible for some teams. Makes a few things slightly easier (e.g. Berserker targeting is no longer random, and always picks the closest target. Got rid of some "dummy" targets that made random-target abilities mostly useless).

Edit:

Kyrosiris posted:

SNES: Has access to the magic underflow and Ancient Library Teleport glitch

Ohh, what's the Ancient Library Teleport glitch?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
GBA has a better UI too that actually lets you know what items do, which is nice for your first playthrough. SNES doesn't tell you anything.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

Ohh, what's the Ancient Library Teleport glitch?

If you have access to Time magic, you can teleport out of the Ancient Library after the cutscenes in there and skip Exdeath voiding a bunch of the world; this lets you get to Mirage before the Pyramid, do Solitary Island Shrine, etc.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I havent done one of these in a long time
just to be clear, natural/classic is something else entirely from the 'classic' one job from each crystal ruleset

im also gonna be a weeb and play it in japanese on the SUPER FAMICOM, for no other reason than to practice some japanese that i havent used in a long time

anyhow since people are asking about maybe there should be something about each version's differences? I'll start with what I know and that should cover a lot of it

SNES: The original version obviously. Only released in Japan but translation patches are widely available (FFV was in fact, one of the first big fan translation patches to come around I believe). It's the base version of the game, so obviously no bonus dungeon or extra classes like later versions added, but they're not relevant for the challenge anyways. There's a few bugs/exploits that work in this version that are absent in later ones, like tricking a boss to drain its MP to bypass a mechanic, but a lot of these weren't fixed until the iOS one. Another notable exploit lets you 'escape' an area and explore some dungeons early, exclusively to the SNES one if you have access to !Time. It also has good sound quality, using the SNES hardware and not the GBA one. Everything is on a flat blue background however. Notable downside is that you cannot run faster on the world map at all without having a thief in your party.

Pros: Good sound, fairly no frills, some interesting exploits, better resolution than the GBA version, some version exclusive exploits
Cons: No dashing without a thief, bland translations

Playstation/Anthologies: You should really avoid this one if you can. It's the first time we got FFV in english, which is cool, unfortunately its translation leaves something to be desired. Faris talks like a pirate the entire game, instead of just part of it, and it still has a character limit for enemy names which leads to some interesting short hands. But if you've never experienced a SNES game with load times then this version has you covered, and they're awful. Opening your menu has a noticeable load time and that's basically unacceptable right there. It does have a few positive things going for it: You can dash without a thief, a thief just makes you dash faster, and there's an FMV intro and ending now, and its available on PSN, which means PS3, PSP, and Vita compatibility with no fuss, and you can even pass your save around if you feel like fiddling with that.

Pros: Really, the only unique thing is the PSN availability, do not touch this version. Also you get to be Butz
Cons: Awful load times, bad translation

really, this should be your last option

GBA: Probably the most popular version, for good reason. This has a ground up retranslation, and its the translation that people are very fond of, for good reason. Most of what people think of as memorable dialogue wise is from this version. The graphics are redone slightly, mostly in backgrounds to account for the different resolution and aspect ratio of the GBA, but menus look nicer with a gradient coloring scheme and dialogue boxes get nice Amano art portraits. The GBA version also has its own exploit introduced with the quick save feature, which lets you manipulate the encounter RNG, which has some use too. They also mixed up a bit on !Calm so it works on every non-beast enemy instead of only beasts, which lets you lock out one of the super bosses. Otherwise, it tries to mimic the SNES version very closely in regards to gameplay quirks/oversights, but it cribs the PS1 dash button solution: you can always dash, but its faster with a thief. It's two biggest downside are the bad sound quality, since it was designed to be driven by the GBA sound hardware which is obviously limited, but there does exist a patch to try and restore the quality back to SNES levels, although obviously only for emulators. I haven't used that patch personally but I would look into it if you decide to go this route. The other downside is that there is some slowdown, but nothing like the GBA version of IV.

also, it adds some bonus jobs and a dungeon which are not relevant to the challenge.

Pros: Dash without thief, mostly nice retouches of graphics, good translation, good availability
Cons: by default, bad sound and some slowdown.

iOS/Android: As a disclaimer, i havent played the Android version so I'm just assuming its the same as the iOS one. This one is -mostly- based on the GBA version, but with some pretty big differences. So the most noticeable thing is the uh, graphical overhaul. I personally think the new sprites look kind of awful, they look like old lovely SNES emulator filters that just kind of smudge everything. Obviously, everything is touch screen control based, and it mostly works fine but when i was I playing on an iphone 4s, before they made the bigger screens, it was easy to hit the wrong things sometimes, something that a bigger screen would help alleviate. They also reverted dashing to only being available if you have a thief, so uh, that sucks. There's also new 8 Directional movement, it works okay but if there's any pitfalls on the screen STICK TO 4 DIRECTIONS. Another thing they added was auto-battle, but its not significantly different than using memory cursor and just holding down the A button (as a side note, hold down the A button don't mash when trying to auto battle in other versions). The window transparencies look nice and the sound isn't hampered by GBA hardware anymore, and you can play it on your phone with no questions asked (no having to get an emulator on there). There's also an auto save feature, although I wouldn't rely too hard on it, but it is nice that you can exit out of the game anywhere really. It fixes some of the bugs from the SNES version and some that were introduced in the GBA port, which can make some fights harder. On the other hand, random targeting was overhauled, both by removing dummy targets and changing the way berserkers work, which improves some classes.

Pros: Phone availability is nice, the sprites look awful by the other stuff looks fine, auto save and auto battle can be useful, better sound than GBA, uses the GBA translation
Cons: Bad controls, awful sprites

The windows version is based on the iOS version, no clue on specific differences there
the tl;dr is stick with the GBA or SNES versions, strong avoid the PSX version.

RME fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 20, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

They put the playstation version on PSN with the horrible load times intact? Jesus

I wish they'd rerelease the GBA version on steam or 3ds or something

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Nihilarian posted:

They put the playstation version on PSN with the horrible load times intact? Jesus

It was a PS+ game even! :v:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

I wish they'd rerelease the GBA version on steam or 3ds or something

its literally just an emulated version of the PSX, which means all or nothing
I don't have a Wii U but thats where they do GBA VC games anyways, tho playing on the gamepad seems like it could be nice

also apparently i got the !Calm bug mixed up, i'll go back and fix that

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

RME posted:

also apparently i got the !Calm bug mixed up, i'll go back and fix that

Yeah, that's why you can Calm-lock Omega - he's susceptible to Stop, but normally it wouldn't work since he's not a Magical Beast. The bug is that the bit is just flipped around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, that's why you can Calm-lock Omega - he's susceptible to Stop, but normally it wouldn't work since he's not a Magical Beast. The bug is that the bit is just flipped around.

yeah i should have known that because i definitely calm locked omega to beat him when i did my last fiesta run

• Locked thread