Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I hope this year, if I feel like a second run, I actually complete it.

I have a terrible habit of starting then abandoning second runs for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Ciaphas posted:

One of these years I'll go read the rules and actually do this.

Maybe it'll be this year???

Hard to when you've never played FFV though v:shobon:v

You can do it, and you have a massive support network of crazed ff5-obsessed hermits in this thread if you reach a difficult boss.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tyty posted:

but typically people prefer the GBA version with a patch to fix slowdown.

The GBA version was exactingly coded to replicate the SNES version, to the point where they coded a replication of the bug with agility and some weapons that behaves exactly the same on purpose. The only thing it fixes from SNES is stat underflow, IIRC.

There's also the PS1 version via Anthologies. Don't use it unless somehow you literally cannot play FF5 otherwise, as this game doesn't mesh well with PS1 load times.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alkarl posted:

Yesssss I'm so excited. I talked a buddy of mine into making the FJF his first run of the game too, so that'll be fun!

Now to convince him to do BERSERKER RISK :black101:

Christ, do you want this to be his last fiesta?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So let's start the most important thing: brainstorming what we're gonna call Bartz.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Dragondarch ran Drakkhen of all games at RPG Limit Break a week or so ago. He has the record on SDA.

The reason he makes bad choices w/r/t grinding and boss strategies is that he's completely insane.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

purkey posted:

Anyone remember Carbybot's commands?

All I remember is !speedtrap because alcharagia kept hitting it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
If you are ever not hype to play FF5 for any reason you clearly have a low INT stat.

Wait FF5 uses an indistinct "Magic" stat, not Intelligence. poo poo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Just a clarification, taking Mime or Freelancer from the job fair replaces one of your regular jobs, so it'd be like Knight/Freelancer/Ninja/Dancer, right?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

Though yeah, if you want to use one of the patches that unlocks all jobs from the start (or use a gameshark code, whatever), that's kosher. That's how I did every run I did last year. It has its ups and downs (4 Bards on Garula is even worse than 4 Thieves on Garula, if you can believe it!).

Bards are even worse at ganking than Thieves and they can't steal mythril knives. Makes perfect sense.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

It's not quite as in-depth, but I did a Beastmaster Suggested Catches spreadsheet, with recommendations per-boss.

Most of Melly's forms have 90 defense, so there'd have to be some serious running to get the Chicken Knife past it. Besides, having no suggestions is just chintzy.

Bulettes in the desert have a Strong Fight worth around 4k damage. Sekhmet has a 5k damage Strong Fight. The Pythons use Entangle and she doesn't seem to be immune to paralysis, but taking 20-25% of her HP in one Release seems like a better plan to me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/735101495528411138

I am intrigued.

Also StrangeAeon, if your hospital gets on board that will be the awesomest thing ever. :3:

Since Natural sucks maybe Upgrade will be good by being incompatible?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

Either four Mage Mashers and a lot of prayer... or just don't bother.

Wouldn't it be less work to have 1 masher and the other two with more powerful weapons? Either way, if the fastest Berserker doesn't proc Silence he's casting Reset, and the status lasts long enough to cover the other two's attacks.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

The worst part of the pyramid is that you sometimes can't run. Zephyrus! :argh:

1% chance! It counts!

For something!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

AlphaKretin posted:

I'll concede that it counts for !Flee, if you have that.

1/4 chance off the chicken knife!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

How Rude posted:

final fantasy five is probably the easiest to complete quickly, especially if you don't futz around and grind 20 jobs because you only have 4 available to you in a fiesta

My triple crown with Porkchop (Dancer/Blue/Time/Bard) in 2014 has an in-game time of 19 hours, with a fast-forward on VBA that I can barely control.

I think runs of the later ports of FF1 can go faster simply because you can just stomp on poo poo with fighters.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Hopefully this time I can make my own way into finishing a fiesta. Wonder what that secret run is this year?

There's something called #upgrade that's mutually exclusive with #natural. And a secret command we suspect is related to everhate's 4-zerker run.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Does anyone know the level 4 zerkers should be at for NED? Praying to RNGesus is clearly a part of it.

92 is the last multiplier but you might as well get that extra 7% chance off of White Hole.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Holy gently caress. That sounds like a adventure into insanity. Not sure I love Fiesta enough to do that.

What platform are you on? if you can hold the up button and auto-fire A for whenever item drop prompts appear, you can grind away in the pyramid without much trouble. Thorg has the thief knife in that as he can occasionally steal an elixir from Zephyrus, and at the incredibly slow rate that Berserkers' HP drop in that area you only need to check in every so often to pop a few to keep going.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

I guess, if you 100% the loving thing for your let's play.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Upgrade sounds dull since like no fights but prototype and minidragon in the first world give more than 3 abp. Upgrade with berserker risk might as well be quadzerker with abilities from a random wind job.

Who wants to place bets that I'll finally get Knight or Monk or if this will be yet another fiesta with Thief?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lovely Senorita posted:

oh god what is Faris wearing :stonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkpS2Sdu2io

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alxprit posted:

I know everybody's excited about Berserkers but I just want to do a normal run so I can use several classes. Should be fun.

That's fine. Do whatever's fun. People like me piling on as many tags as possible are hosed-up masochist addicts.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Samuel Clemens posted:

None of you picked Natural, so you clearly don't hate yourselves enough. :colbert:

We're being all :getin: but if we threw in natural it'd be :smith: saying get in, like "welp, it's time to go to the doctor so I can get an update on my terminal disease."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Simply Simon posted:

can you steal more Aegis Shields?

Theoretically, yes.

Rare steal from these guys in the space section of the Rift. They have a common steal so it's kinda hard to get at 'em.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Well thank goodness I already know target numbers for Sandworm levels.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Funkutron5000 posted:

For those of you that do multiple runs, do you start over from the beginning each time? Or just keep a save right after the first crystal so you don't need to slog through the early stuff again?

I start a new run so I can name Bartz something weird.

I'm thinking "Butler" if there isn't some "I'll donate if you name him this" thing like Mega64 and Fartz last year.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Way above your level? Wingraptor is literally level 1!

Okay, 1 with its wings open and 2 with its wings closed.

It has 25 speed in either form, making it tied with Bartz and 1 speed ahead of Galuf and slower than Faris and Lenna. Basically, it's tied with your party for speed.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Derra how did you so consistently down Omega? Most jobs can't even hurt him.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bad Seafood posted:

Somehow completely forgot we were nearly in season for this. I'm excited. Also a little more well-off, so I figured this round I should probably pay it forward.

Tots for Tots

FFV is my second favorite Final Fantasy. My favorite is FFIX. Recently, forums superstar Mega64 ran a pretty good but sadly short-lived LP of the game in which he claimed "No one remembers Doctor Tot," Princess Garnet's royal tutor. As someone who has never forgotten Doctor Tot I was baffled, bewildered, and incensed. How could anyone forget this marvelous, muppet-like man and his truly magnificent schnoz?

Seriously man, just look at that thing.

Anyway, I've since decided to give the good doctor a much-needed boost in popularity. For every person in this thread who beats FFV this fiesta before I do with their main guy named Tot, I will donate $5. I may or may not also change my avatar to Doctor Tot, and keep it for as many days as there are players who beat me. My donation ceiling is a cool $200, meaning up to 40 players can take me up on this offer, but I'll require screenshots of Exdeath's demise at Tot's hands before I start counting out the cash.

This summer, let's remember Doctor Tot.

I feel naked without a z on the end of the name so I'll meet you most of the way there.

7/3/3 is the best approximation of his mustache I could get for the window color. His in-game appearance has much darker hair than the concept art, but I think both are represented in the gradient.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Did anybody see that we are like 3k away from goal and this poo poo hasn't even started? :woop:

Who wants to place bets if I'll even get a non-berserker job?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sneaky Wombat posted:

:black101: :black101: :black101: :black101:

I bet you get 1 earth job. Chaos zerker risk will hold no quarter.

Bah, one Earth job is someone who can toss Elixirs during Neo Exdeath.

That's all I have to care about.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

1337JiveTurkey posted:

With a Monk, Blue Mage and a Knight in the party, my first instinct would be to give the Monk !Blue, the Blue Mage HP +30% and exploit the crap out of ???? with the Knight covering them.

Nah, you still just spam Aeroga unless you grind to the 60s. But having White and Blue means you could go at some ridiculously low levels, like upper 20s, against NED.

For a lot of party comps you need low 40s levels simply to have enough HP to survive Almagest. But White Mage has Shell which reduces it from 1800 damage to 800.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bufuman posted:

Even better, Mighty Guard from the Blue Mage. Only takes up one turn there, freeing up the White Mage's turns to cast heal spells and spam Holy.

The problem is actually getting Mighty Guard when Confuse barely has a 10% chance of hitting Stingray.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Edward_Tohr posted:

But what if I take the chicken knife and never run away? :v:

You don't have a fully powered Brave Blade due to not having a Brave Blade, I'd say.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Samuel Clemens posted:

What if the Chicken Knife gave you the Chicken status from FF:T?

As long as it doesn't permanently drop below 5 then Krile won't leave.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

In a standard fiesta run the best party you could pull is Thief/Summoner/Beastmaster/Chemist but even then you'll probably regret not being able to negate Neo Shinryu's Almagest with a shield. Archeodemon is the first big bullshit point because you need to either get reflect on him or have a black mage or summoner to even have a chance. And reflect results in him killing one of your guys every time you attack.

Time Mage would be better for Hastega and Quick, and for pummeling Archeodemon with Meteor.

Chemists can mix up immunity to instant death, and specifically make allies Heavy. One mix does inflict Reflect but it also has protect, shell, and regen on it. I don't know if Shadow Flare would trigger his Death reaction, since I've never bothered.

Omega Mk. II is a problem but IIRC you don't actually need to beat him to get to Enuo.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

Doesn't meteor run the risk of his other counter script wiping you every time you try it?

code:
Counter(Var00=00 & HP Damage){
     {Curse,???,Nothing}
     }
As much as anything else, really.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah, but 4 times in a row rather than giving you time to mitigate that between casts.

Actually it's twice.

For some reason Meteor only triggers reactions twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Twelve by Pies posted:

So has anyone had a class that they've never gotten in a Fiesta?

Knight, Monk, White Mage, Mystic Knight.

I've gotten every fire and earth job before, but somehow I have had a avalanche of thieves and black mages (with one token blue) and berserker risk keeps stealing my water job unless I go 750.

• Locked thread