Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Looking forward to another Fiesta.

I will name my first run BACON in honor of Everhate. RIP Quadzerker. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Guess I shoulda gone there instead of trying to trawl reddit :v: Thanks. Does "750" relating to rods refer to something in particular? That the gil price for rods or something?

Correct; specifically, the price of Fire, Ice and Thunder Rods.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Also, for those who are joining in for the first time, the Fiesta usually runs until the end of August/start of September. So feel free to take your time and get a feel for the game instead of trying to speed your way through your first run. Once you complete a run, you can always sign up for another if you want to try again with a different combination of jobs.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Still planning on naming my first run this year BACON.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Monk has HP +30% and Counter, I guess, but Dragoon has...uh...

Counter doesn't work with Berserkers.

Here's my breakdown of useful passives for Berserkers:

Knight - Two-Handed or Equip Swords. Two-Handed increases the amount of damage you can put out with axes, Equip Swords gives you a small boost to Strength and gives you a weapon option with a more consistent damage output.

Monk - Barehanded or HP+30%. Barehanded boosts your Strength, and fists are a passable alternative to Axes early on before they get screwed over by scaling in Worlds 2 and 3. HP+30% makes your Berserker take longer to kill.

Thief - Artful Dodger. Boosts your Agility, which means you get more turns per battle than you would otherwise.

White Mage - !White Level 6. Boosts your Magic stat, increasing your MP pool and the bonus damage from Rune Axe and Gaia Hammer's Earthshaker.

Black Mage - !Black Level 6. Same as White Mage.

Blue Mage - !Blue or Learning. !Blue is same as White Mage. Learning gives you an extra body on the field that can help you collect Blue Magic spells.

Red Mage - !Red Level 3. Same as White Mage.

Time Mage - !Time Level 6. Same as White Mage. Equip Rods is also available as a comedy option.

Summoner - !Summon Level 5. Same as White Mage.

Mystic Knight - !Spellblade Level 6. Same as White Mage. Magic Shell is kinda worthless since if something just knocked you into Critical HP to trigger it, you're probably about to get killed anyway.

Ninja - Dual Wield. Dual Wield is always great no matter what kind of weapons you're swinging around.

Ranger - Equip Bows. Boosts your Agility and gives you a ranged damage option.

Beastmaster - Equip Whips. Same as Ranger.

Bard - Equip Harps. Boosts your Agility and Magic stats.

Samurai - Equip Katana or Shirahadori. Katanas give you a more consistent damage option. Shirahadori makes an already tanky class even harder to kill with physicals.

Dragoon - Equip Lances. Gives you a more consistent damage option.

Dancer - Equip Ribbons. Gives you access to the Dancer-specific equipment (Ribbon, Maneater, Rainbow Dress, Red Shoes), though of those two, Ribbon and arguably Maneater are the only ones that really matter.

Geomancer's passives are redundant in a Four Job Fiesta run, and Chemist's only passive requires you to be able to use items. (Though if you have a Chemist, what you do with your Berserker is pretty academic since !Mix on your other characters will have already broken the game in half for you.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just a clarification, taking Mime or Freelancer from the job fair replaces one of your regular jobs, so it'd be like Knight/Freelancer/Ninja/Dancer, right?

Yes, specifically it replaces your Earth Crystal pull. So you'd have Wind/Water/Fire/Freelancer or Mime.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Wait, what? You can only replace your earth crystal class?

For the Job Fair, you can only replace a job with jobs that would have come from the same crystal you're replacing. In the case of the Freelancer and the Mime, they're assigned to the Earth Crystal for the purpose of the Job Fair.

Wind - Knight, Monk, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage
Water - Berserker, Mystic Knight, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner
Fire - Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ranger, Bard
Earth - Dragoon, Samurai, Dancer, Chemist, Freelancer, Mime

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

(I still get them because the idea of having characters with blank ability slots drives me insane)

Berserker is solid, but I'd hesitate heavily to call it good. Sure, you get a super-tanky, super-punchy class, but in exchange you have a total loss of control for that character (which can be important, especially if you don't roll any healing jobs/roll multiple berserkers) and the goddamn Initiative Bug. Even with Artful Dodger and preemptive attacks assisting their speed, they still start at 0 ATB and thus take fifteen years to throw their first punch. It also doesn't really have outgoing synergy at all; aside from high-MAG units with the Gaia Hammer (maybe) for Equip Axe.

Rangers can also make effective use of Equip Axe until they get !Rapidfire up and running. Equip Axe gives them a Berserker's Strength score (third highest in the game*), and !Aim makes the inaccuracy of axes a non-issue. :black101:

*Ignoring the classes that were added to the GBA remake, which were also included in the iOS/Android/Steam version, none of which are available in the FJF format anyway.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

Huh. Finding that I don't remember a lot of what I'm doing...

Are there checklists for things to see/get/grind in each world? At the very least I know I want to grab some rings before I leave World 1, and that means a ton of money grinding.

Edit: Actually, I just checked the prices on those rings, and I do not want to grind for them without Galuf in my party >.< Are they available in World 2?

They don't become available for purchase again until World 3.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Was that a bug or a mechanics tweak? Did they change it back to half HP again in mobile?

It's a bug, and it was fixed in the mobile version.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Rogue Lemon posted:

Just pretend all Amano art takes place in a world populated by albino lesbian amazons. Problem solved.

Also David Bowie clones.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

One thing that might be worth noting - Berserk and Confuse statuses are mutually exclusive. Being afflicted with one prevents the application of the other.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

Incorrect, Normal runs can only get one Berserker, even when Risking.

I think 750 and No 750 runs are also limited to a single Berserker if they Risk.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The Fiesta itself usually starts around halfway through June and tends to run until the end of August.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Can you fudge it and like, show the victory screen during the NED fight and like, the winning of the Omega Badge and the Dragon Seal? Having my phone ready to take a pic at the right moment when I'm in the heat of battle seems like a difficult at best plan...

This seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle, but yes, he'll accept screencaps of the Omega Badge, Dragon Seal and Ragnarok.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No loving way.

I even knew Zeromus was another summon and I never made that connection.

Chaos (FF 1), the Emperor (FF 2) and the Cloud of Darkness (FF 3) are also referenced!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Asiina posted:

Does everyone else remember their very first fiesta team?

Mine was Monk/Summoner/Bard/Dragoon. It was a really good team if not a little boring on the physical side of things. I still have a soft spot for Summoner and Bard and secretly wish for them every year.

2011, I didn't sign up for an official run, but my team was Knight/Summoner/Ninja/Samurai.

2012, I signed up for a Random run and got Blue Mage/Summoner/Ninja/Thief. Second run, also random, gave me Black Mage/Mystic Knight/Ranger/Blue Mage.

2013, first run was No750 Berserker Risk, got Monk/Berserker/Ranger/Samurai. Second run was a 750 run with Black Mage/Red Mage/Bard/Chemist (and I believe I job faired for the Bard because Geomancer sucks).

2014, I got burned out and only did one run, which was 750 Berserker Risk, got Blue Mage/Berserker/Geomancer/Chemist. (I promised that if I wound up with Geomancer this year, I'd stick it out. Never doing that again.)

2015, also got burned out and only did one Chaos Berserker Risk run, which got me Blue Mage/Berserker/Beastmaster/Berserker.

... Really kinda sick of Blue Mage at this point. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bruceski posted:

My first run was in 2012, and was... whatever this photo has.
https://twitter.com/Bruceski1/status/218658725332922369
Black, Time... Beastmaster and Samurai? Old cameraphone of a DS, didn't work too well.

I think that's a dragoon.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Even then that combination might still be able to use the Chicken Knife; does !Power get around the !Flee proc like most other Attack substitutes?

Assuming you're talking about !Focus from the Monk, yes it does.

So at that point it's a question of which does more damage - Knight Two-handing the Brave Blade, or Knight !Focusing the Chicken Knife. (Monk and White Mage can't use daggers, and your Blue Mage has better things to do with their turns.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I was originally planning on naming my first run BACON for Everhate, but I think I'll go ahead and jump on the Dr. Tot :bandwagon:.

If I wind up with a Knight at some point, I may consider trying for a Brave Blade run.

(Going from World 3 Moore to the end of the Rift quicksaving every 10 steps to avoid encounters shouldn't take too long, right?) :shepicide:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

This is correct. In addition, the word often translated as "drat" can be anywhere from "rats" to "gently caress" depending on the character, the context, and the translator. Japanese doesn't really have what English speakers think of swear words.

I think I remember reading in one of orenronen's Dangan Ronpa LPs that the harshest equivalent to something like "rear end in a top hat" or "motherfucker" in Japanese is just a very impolite/rude variation of the pronoun "you."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

OK, so Dragondarch

- Spent a couple hours trying to learn Aqua Breath by triggering Magic Shell to survive it since screw leveling...
- ...so he can grind Black Flames without breaking rods (even though he'd come out ahead gil-wise anyway)...
- ...so he can get rods to break on Minidragons for EXP in a certain way...
- ...so he can Goblin Punch Prototypes to death for like six Dark Matters before heading to World 2.

... He's like the Rube Goldberg of FF V speedruns. :cripes:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Asiina posted:

Okay next year's run needs to be jobs that don't require any grinding to get right. No chemist, blue mage, beast master, summoner.

Just give him a team he can hit A with and win.

I have no doubt that he'd still find some way to screw it up.

Stuck at work for three more hours so I'm going to miss the first hour of the Run. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Tot and his merry band of thieves are currently looting their way through a pirate ship graveyard.

Man, no wonder all these ships sank. They were clearly understaffed, since they're all being manned by a skeleton crew. :haw:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Dr.Tot can now cast AXE IN THE FACE! :black101:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fire Job - Bard.

Yessssss... :getin:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Color Printer posted:

So I find out that Byblos can cast drain at low HP. That's fine. I mean, I can recover from wind slashes pretty easily. With two white mages and two discord-ed berzerkers, this battle has to end eventually. Then this happens:

Oops, Byblos drained one of my berzerkers, better heal him. Oops, Byblos wind slashed my party, killing the berzerker before he could be healed. Oops, after reviving the berzerker Byblos attacked the white mage that was going to heal the party and killed her before she could do that. Oops, my other white mage is stuck from a web attack during this entire process. Oops, Byblos just wind slashed again, wiping my entire party

I'm going to scream.

I say if it's getting to the point where it's no longer fun and it's frustrating the hell out of you, just go ahead and use your Earth Job and break a rod in his face.

The whole point of this is to play a game for charity and have fun. Having to grind to an absurd level just to try and get past a single boss who's an RNG fest of "gently caress You" to anyone without some form of fire damage isn't fun, at least to me.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DAMMIT. SO CLOSE. :negative:

Looks like my Dr. Tot will be forgot. :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

I'll throw in an extra fiver just for you.

Awesome; I usually take my time on these runs, so I was rushing like crazy to try and get it done asap. It did make the final battle pretty drat exhilarating, though. Low supplies, party members getting one-shotted left and right, running out of money for Zeninage... I'm amazed I managed to get it on the first attempt given how unprepared I felt. I'd actually considered stopping to grind for some extra cash before I decided to just #YOLO it. :unsmith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kemix posted:

I decided to be a shitlord and take a peek at the jobs I'll be rolling with for a Random FJF...White Mage at Wind, Blue Mage at Water, Zerker at Fire (loving joy, ANY OTHER CLASS GAME, OUT OF loving ALL OF THEM! ANY OTHER CLASS!) and Red Mage at Earth. Looks like I'm gonna be stocking up on rods for Exdeath and hope that my Zerker doesn't gently caress everything up :shepicide:

Blue Mage and White Mage can easily carry you past the finish line even with a Berserker and a Red Mage weighing you down. Slap !Blue or !White on your Berserker to help power up the Rune Axe or Gaia Hammer, and give your Red Mage !Blue so that it will actually be useful after World 1 and you're good to go.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Turns out that all Omega needed to remember Dr.Tot was a Murakumo critting him for over 5k damage a few times while Krile and Lenna sang a sad song and Faris occasionally chipped in a bit with the Rune Axe. :toot:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Well, that took forever and a day, but first run of the year ends in a Triple Crown for Dr.Tot. :toot:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

No one ever remembers Calofisteri because most teams kill her in two turns. Also, she has a stupid name.

It's pronounced "speed bump". :pseudo:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

widespread posted:

I got White Mage for my Wind. Apparently it just needs some grinding and the Flail?

I cleared Garula with all White Mages at around level 8. It's a long battle, but you're not really in any danger of dying at any point as long as you remember to have everyone in the back row, covered with Protect and heal diligently whenever they start dropping low on HP.

Basically, with the way damage is calculated and the amount of strength White Mage have (that is, not much), your next increase in damage wouldn't be until level 15 (or 17 for Lenna, since she's weaker than the others), which is kind of overkill; you can easily clear the Ship Graveyard, North Mountain and Walse Tower in a fraction of the time it'd take you to grind four White Mages that high.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

KnoxZone posted:

:black101::black101:

QUAD BERSERKERS HAVE PREVAILED

Congrats! Is that the first Goon Quadzerker win?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Beastmaster is busted.

This run will be the very best, like no run ever was.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Decided to peek ahead early for my Earth job while I'm stuck at work.

White Mage/Blue Mage/Red Mage/Chemist. Welp, that's going to be another Triple Crown.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Red White and Blue, with a heavy dose of drugs. I don't think there's a stronger candidate for Team America. :haw:

I also got obesity covered since I gave Bartz the name "Bacon" this time around. :haw:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Bufuman posted:

Man, I need to get back to Fiesta-ing. I haven't even played in a few days because I've been trying to make some progress in Tales of Vesperia Hyrule Warriors Legends and Tokyo Mirage Sessions: #FE.

Probably try and get some more of my current run done before bed tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Moon Flute
If your team is composed almost entirely of auto-attackers and you're facing an easy encounter, this could be situationally useful, I guess? Let's be honest here, have you ever actually cast this spell? Ever?

We're gonna go full Dragondarch on this one! :pseudo:

1. Have a White Mage or Red Mage and a Blue Mage in your Fiesta team.
2. Give the White/Red Mage the Healing Staff.
3. Start the fight against the missile launcher dudes before Soul Cannon; reset if you get Flamethrowers.
4. Have your White/Red Mage cast Confuse on him/herself.
5. Cast Moon Flute with your Blue Mage. Your White/Red Mage won't get Berserked since they're already Confused, and the rest of your party is now immune to Confuse from the missile launchers.
6. Wait for your party to slowly beat the missile launchers to death. Your White/Red Mage will eventually either snap him/herself out of Confusion by hitting him/herself with the Healing Staff, or if they don't, they'll just keep healing the rest of your team... which won't matter since the missile launchers' attacks can't ever outright kill them.

SIMPLE! :buddy:

• Locked thread