Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
FFV works because it's frankly a really easy game. I'm glad that my first playthrough was the fiesta. If I had all of the jobs to choose from I'd be paralyzed with indecision and overgrind when it's not really necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

Seconding that this is a bad+dumb idea. Unless you're willing to do hours of grinding you're not gonna make it far.

I did just play through 2 so I just finished dealing with miserable and awful grinding. If I get horribly stuck I'll quit and just play like normal... so probably in a day or two.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

KataraniSword posted:

If you think Brave Exvius looks to be less skinner box (or trashfire mobage, to quote zolthorg) than FFRK, then ahahaha, oh boy do I have news for you.

it's not good news.

Well I mean the free exploring and side-questing as opposed to just menu managing between battles already puts it head and shoulders above FFRK imho, but yes I realize there's a lot of similar elements still, especially the gachapon collecting. I'm still interested regardless.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

KataraniSword posted:

Oh lord, don't do this to yourself. :ohdear: FF3 isn't balanced like FF5 is; it's more like FFX-2 where the mindset is to hotswap jobs into what you need for a situation. No matter what you pull (unless it's "Sage and Ninja, all day erryday"), you're going to get stonewalled.

The other problem is that FF3 took some inspiration from FF1 to a degree and a lot of the later jobs are flat out upgrades to existing jobs and are meant to replace them, like Magus is literally just "Black Mage but better," as Black Mage can't even cast level 8 Black Magic spells. At least in the Famicom version, the awful DS version did some "rebalancing" to try and keep the early jobs relevant and unique from the jobs that were clearly meant to replace them, which makes them a lot less good than in the original.

The remake of FF3 is so completely awful, goddamn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Just a clarification, taking Mime or Freelancer from the job fair replaces one of your regular jobs, so it'd be like Knight/Freelancer/Ninja/Dancer, right?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just a clarification, taking Mime or Freelancer from the job fair replaces one of your regular jobs, so it'd be like Knight/Freelancer/Ninja/Dancer, right?

Yeah, any sort of job fairing replaces one crystal draw.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

So, something occurred to me.

See, I actually work in a hospital that's connected to the Child's Play network (in the kitchens, but still). I started thinking that maybe I could use that to gather some more donations for the Festival, either by soliciting from co-workers (and maybe asking the Human Resources dept to match donations, though I doubt it) or for a different approach, try to get people to sponsor me and pledge X monies for my runs.

Thoughts? Anyone done something similar before?

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Every year it's hard to not burnout before the Fiesta begins. But I like playing during the fiesta better because it makes me finish my run instead of just starting a new run. I guess I could prepare for Chaos and get every job to Garula...

And I really like playing the mobile version with the auto-fight, but not having speedup of an emulator just has it take so much longer in the end.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Yes, specifically it replaces your Earth Crystal pull. So you'd have Wind/Water/Fire/Freelancer or Mime.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Wait, what? You can only replace your earth crystal class?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Oh man it is this time again already? Time flies. (My kid actually likes Gilgamesh now)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Nihilarian posted:

Wait, what? You can only replace your earth crystal class?

For the Job Fair, you can only replace a job with jobs that would have come from the same crystal you're replacing. In the case of the Freelancer and the Mime, they're assigned to the Earth Crystal for the purpose of the Job Fair.

Wind - Knight, Monk, Thief, White Mage, Black Mage, Blue Mage
Water - Berserker, Mystic Knight, Red Mage, Time Mage, Summoner
Fire - Ninja, Beastmaster, Geomancer, Ranger, Bard
Earth - Dragoon, Samurai, Dancer, Chemist, Freelancer, Mime

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

StrangeAeon posted:

So, something occurred to me.

See, I actually work in a hospital that's connected to the Child's Play network (in the kitchens, but still). I started thinking that maybe I could use that to gather some more donations for the Festival, either by soliciting from co-workers (and maybe asking the Human Resources dept to match donations, though I doubt it) or for a different approach, try to get people to sponsor me and pledge X monies for my runs.

Thoughts? Anyone done something similar before?

I think a sponsor drive is your best thought process here, so it's entirely a personal thing.

Random thought--if the children the charity benefits directly are there in your hospital, is there a way to get them involved?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I think a sponsor drive is your best thought process here, so it's entirely a personal thing.

Random thought--if the children the charity benefits directly are there in your hospital, is there a way to get them involved?

Good question. I work in the kitchens, so I don't see much of Blank normally, and I don't know how many kids are longer-term stays, or how many mediums we have for potentially playing FFV in-house as it were. Probably the best bet would be streaming, either a run of my own or The Run itself.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Oh man, that time already? Well, I'm no longer managing a restaurant this year and just working part time like some slacktastic idiot so I should have plenty of time to actually play properly this year. Guess I should start warming up.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

For chaos runs, if you get a job from a later crystal do you just run freelancer or other jobs it gave you you do have, or is unlocking them all from the start considered fine

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

RME posted:

For chaos runs, if you get a job from a later crystal do you just run freelancer or other jobs it gave you you do have, or is unlocking them all from the start considered fine

considering the only check is at the end of the game (and the guy's accepted our Cactaur-Exdeath mod) unlocking all jobs from the start is a legit way to do it, though you may be limited by equipment options.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
I ran Freelancer until that job was unlocked, personally. It's what makes the most sense to me.

Practice run update: #Wind, シーフ (Thief)! I'm debating whether or not to run this as #Natural too, but so far I'm not. Grinding for Daggers in the ship graveyard right now.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Bargain bin Laden posted:

I'm debating whether or not to run this as #Natural too

:siren: DON'T PLAY NATURAL :siren:
:siren: THAT MEANS CLASSIC, TOO, SINCE IT'S NATURAL :siren:

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Fair enough. Got all 4 daggers anyway, off to Siren.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RME posted:

There's nothing stopping you from unlocking them all, but if you don't then the expectation is that you use your existing jobs until you get the jobs you need. Even in a normal run, if you get Ranger or Bard for fire, you don't sub in a Freelancer for the Library until you get those crystals, if that makes any sense.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The idea is that once you get your first job, all your freelancers become that job and you never go back to freelancer again, right? And you just fill out the rest of your team as the other jobs become available?

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I figured it would be alright, it just seems a bit boring to get stuck in freelancer because all you got were later jobs

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

That brings up a good scenario: what if you rolled a Chaos run, and didn't check all your jobs until you got to each crystal? Example, your 'Wind' Job was from the Earth Crystal, so would you have to Freelancer all the way to Earth, or should you reveal all jobs at the start of a Chaos run and just implement them in crystal order instead of rolled order?

...this probably made more sense in my head.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

StrangeAeon posted:

That brings up a good scenario: what if you rolled a Chaos run, and didn't check all your jobs until you got to each crystal? Example, your 'Wind' Job was from the Earth Crystal, so would you have to Freelancer all the way to Earth, or should you reveal all jobs at the start of a Chaos run and just implement them in crystal order instead of rolled order?

...this probably made more sense in my head.

Chaos sorts your jobs into crystal order, so if your Wind job is from the Earth crystal, you know the other three will be as well.

Likewise, you'll only get a Wind job from the Earth crystal if all four of your jobs are Wind jobs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chaos prioritizes job order by crystal so if you got a water job, two fire, and an earth, it would always give them to you in the order of water, fire, fire, earth, I believe.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Edward_Tohr posted:

Chaos sorts your jobs into crystal order, so if your Wind job is from the Earth crystal, you know the other three will be as well.

Likewise, you'll only get a Wind job from the Earth crystal if all four of your jobs are Wind jobs.

Solved before it was even a problem, then!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

get the Chaos IPS and try out neat things like getting annihilated by Garula because it counterattacks for every hit you do to it

as a Ninja, you can get hit up to three times including a Rush, so that's three attacks to your two if you grind Daggers in the Ship Graveyard :stonklol:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

RME posted:

My bot doesn't do it because I'm bad, but the way Gilgabot does it is it randomly generates, and then sorts/presents them to you in ascending crystal order, so it tries as hard as it can to minimize your freelancer time - that is, if the bot rolled Chemist/Samurai/Dancer/Berserker, you'd get them presented to you Berserker/Chemist/Dancer/Samurai.

Though yeah, if you want to use one of the patches that unlocks all jobs from the start (or use a gameshark code, whatever), that's kosher. That's how I did every run I did last year. It has its ups and downs (4 Bards on Garula is even worse than 4 Thieves on Garula, if you can believe it!).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Kyrosiris posted:

Though yeah, if you want to use one of the patches that unlocks all jobs from the start (or use a gameshark code, whatever), that's kosher. That's how I did every run I did last year. It has its ups and downs (4 Bards on Garula is even worse than 4 Thieves on Garula, if you can believe it!).

Bards are even worse at ganking than Thieves and they can't steal mythril knives. Makes perfect sense.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Hell yes it's back, I haven't read the thread yet but if there aren't any cool new game modes I'm totally doing berserkerrisk + no750 for my intro playthrough cuz that poo poo was super fun for getting things going last year.

happy 10 year forum anniversary Kyro.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Poque posted:

happy 10 year forum anniversary Kyro.

Huh, would've never noticed if you didn't say something. Thanks. :shobon:

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
ALRIGHT, time for some fiesta! :toot:

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Doing my first FFV run as a FJF run this year! As someone who doesn't want to reload a thousand times, the risk of a single Berserker on Normal shouldn't be overly frustrating, right?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
A singular Berserker is one of the better classes you can get

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem though is it being the same crystal as Time Mage, Summoner, and Mystic Knight. But even then one Berserker is fine except in a few cases and will do very well with other jobs' passives.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RME posted:

I figured it would be alright, it just seems a bit boring to get stuck in freelancer because all you got were later jobs

Kind of.

One of the weirder things about Freelancer is that it isn't actually the worst or most boring job in the game, even with two blank passive slots. The ability to equip anything is a pretty substantial boon that enables them to take advantage of every unique/interesting piece of gear in the game.

alcharagia posted:

A singular Berserker is one of the better classes you can get

It's not bad but it's still kind of a bummer on Normal b/c three of the other four water jobs are fantastic and more fun.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Kind of.

One of the weirder things about Freelancer is that it isn't actually the worst or most boring job in the game, even with two blank passive slots. The ability to equip anything is a pretty substantial boon that enables them to take advantage of every unique/interesting piece of gear in the game.

To wit, Sullla's Freelancer SSCC is really interesting reading.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?
Water job: しょうかんし! (Summoner)

Never much cared for this class in casual play, so never used them much. This should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Bargain bin Laden posted:

Water job: しょうかんし! (Summoner)

Never much cared for this class in casual play, so never used them much. This should be interesting.

The ability to point at a random encounter and go "nah, y'all dead" with Ramuh/Titan/Syldra is a good feeling.

(Bahamut and Leviathan are traps and only worth using if you are a monk using !Summon/have a Chemist respectively)

• Locked thread