Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Jeez the bridge is so blue

Just wait for Black Alert where they turn on all the UV lights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Quantum Cat posted:

My wife and I are huge trek nerds back to TOS and we love STD. Aside from it being the best trek since DS9, the dead sea worth of salt it generates in you aatrek types is best part of this show.

i judge the media i consume on whether or not i like it but i guess some kind of weird revenge filled existence where you derive enjoyment from other people's dislike of things like a spite fueled goblin while comparing them to a notorious pedophile is also another way to watch your space ship show.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Blistex posted:

If he actually is a Klingon, then the most unbelievable part of all of this is that he can actually shoot at, and hit people. Unlike pretty much every other Klingon we've seen in STD.

You've stumbled on how they are going to explain the Klingons looking different. Once they realize that surgically removing 30 pounds of bullshit from your face makes you a better warrior then they will all get in line for alterations.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Fartbox posted:

It's unrealistic to me that the holodeck isn't constantly occupied by people doing weird sex stuff in there

This is explained in universe by everyone attending the academy in their teens, spending their 20s loving in holodecks, then starting their career free of the influence of sex at the age of 30.

Why do you think everyone on star ships are in there 30s and just listen to classical music all the time? Picard hosed everyone and everything in every way he could possible think of hundreds of thousands of times and really just wants to sit down with a nice refreshing tea at this point because he has seen some poo poo. He even ate it out of Isaac Newtons rear end in a top hat while Amelia Earhart read a biographical novel about another time he hosed Alf and Tony from Who's The Boss written by a creature made up primarily of buttholes with dicks for hands.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Shut up Wesley

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

criscodisco posted:

It's usually guys with big penises who are jerks, VQL

I didn't red text myself :agesilaus:

Actually it is small there are just two now due to a transporter accident

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

simplefish posted:

Finished DS9

Now on VOY, gently caress I hate the writers. Just look at Janeway -

Episode 1: "we must violate the prime directive to let this planet live another few years"
Episode 3: "no we cannot save this entire planet, that could probably live forever, from wiping themselves out because priiiiime dirrrrrective!"

That's a running theme. Later on it might be something like

Episode 56: " We must accept our fate and that some of us will die so as to not violate the borders of the aliens and respect their culture"
Episode 60: " We must fire our infinite amount of photon torpedos at those alien patrol ships who turned hostile when we decided to fly through their space for no real reason"

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 16, 2017

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

revwinnebago posted:

I just saw the Orville episode which is totally a ripoff of the Black Mirror episode where people rate each other on social media.

Black Mirror did it better, but I see a lot of people responding positively to the message thanks to Orville, so kudos to Seth I guess.

Seth said this was the inspiration for the episode
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_You%27ve_Been_Publicly_Shamed

quote:

So You've Been Publicly Shamed (2015) is a book by British journalist Jon Ronson about online shaming and its historical antecedents.[2] The book explores the re-emergence of public shaming as an Internet phenomenon, particularly on Twitter. As a state-sanctioned punishment, public shaming was popular in Colonial America. Between 1837 in the UK and 1839 in the US, it was phased out as a punishment, not due to the increasingly populous society, as was widely held,[3][4] but instead in response to rising calls for compassion.[5]

Black Mirror didn't exactly invent the concept, they just commented on it.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

simplefish posted:

Is it just me or did that "Bajor must stand alone" line never really deliver? Like I get it kept them out of the war, kinda? I dunno, just expected a more concrete payoff

That was a pretty big payoff for the Bajorans. Every time the station went to red alert the hallways were littered waist deep with Bajoran security officers. If they can't handle Quark's replicator malfunctioning a single Jem'Hadar would commit genocide.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Also how is Bajor still in shambles? Is the Federation not helping them with even the basics? Give them a few dozen industrial replicators and some ready-to-run fusion generators and get their poo poo sorted in like a year tops. They're courting the Bajorans for membership yet don't seem to be offering any aid throughout the show.

There are some variables outside of the technology and support available. The Federation gave the Bajorans really advanced farming equipment and they immediately entered a civil war with armed militias roaming the mountains and had a coup attempt all over who gets to use it first.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

popewiles posted:

At least in DS9, replicators and other high end Federation tech seem to be the carrot in order to get other civilizations to join them. Starfleet is basically looking down at Bajor from their ivory starships saying "you can be post-scarcity too, just as soon as you make your planet arable again and start producing enough food to feed your populace."
I really like the concept that living a nearly conflict-free existence due to technology making post-scarcity possible makes Federation citizens unempathetic to the realities of 'developing' species and I'm glad DS9 explored that even if just a little.

Their society almost collapsed because some guy fell out of a wormhole and started telling everyone they should be a strict caste based society where your job is based on your family name.

The Federation was right to be wary of including them. How long before the entire Federation is at war because a Bajoran priestess decided to stab a Romulan diplomat in the face because she didn't like how his ears felt?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

The General posted:

That episode is great.

I went looking for his clock obsession, but I found this instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jztrZ4pW3A4

Sisko supercuts are the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lHgbbM9pu4

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Starfleet wishes to evacuate you for your own protection.
Yet Gosheven has decided otherwise.
That is his right.
I will not waste time trying to reverse that decision.
I admire your conviction in the face of certain defeat.
Though doomed, your effort will be valiant.
And when you die, you will die for land, and for honor.
Your children will understand that they are dying for a worthy cause.
Long after the battle is over, their courage will be remembered and extolled.
Remembered by who? Yes, that is true.
There will be no one left alive to remember.

I could identify with those guys. They were forced there due to crash landing and were trapped due to the technobabble atmosphere meaning nobody ever knew what happened to them. So their leader's argument was that he wanted to stay where his father and his grandfather had toiled and died to build a home in an inhospitable place. They had been there for like a century.

The Maquis were a bunch of hipsters that were bored of post scarcity society and decided they wanted to go LARP as farmers. They pulled the same "THIS IS OUR HOME" poo poo despite most of the planets being colonized recently. I think in the show's timeline that some of them even colonized directly adjacent to Cardassian space during or directly after the war with the federation like 10-20 years prior so they were just bored and wanted to pick a fight with someone and go "NUH UH You can't tell me what to do"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Volcott posted:

How many torpedoes are in a full spread? Asking for a friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

The nerd explanation is that it depends on the Dispersal Pattern. "Full Spread" means a maximum amount of torpedos for whatever pattern they are using. So "Sierra" is five in a pentagon shape. Sometimes it's 3 in a triangle, sometimes it's 4 in a Square.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

popewiles posted:

Wouldn't 5 in a pentagon, 3 in a triangle, or 4 in a square be the minimum amount of torpedos for the pattern?

This is getting way to into fictional weaponry mechanics but no. "minimum amount for the pattern" is discounting any number of shots that don't actually make the pattern the guns are set to.

You can still set your weapons to "PATTERN:Triangle" and only fire one or two torpedos, which would be identical to any other pattern. "Full Spread" means a full pattern of whatever the pre-set pattern is. The shows just don't go into the minutiae of what specific weapons protocols are in effect or who knows it. I assume while Picard is jerking off in his little office most of the day he is reading poo poo like that.

This is how I read nerds explaining it last night but it isn't even consistent in the show since sometimes they show a single torpedo splitting into five and the torpedos are completely harmless or unbelievably devastating depending on the plot. Nerds have explained away "Full Spread" meaning 5 different things and torpedos having wildly different effects as "Dispersal Patterns" and "Variable Yields" when those were only ever flashy technobabble to sexy up the show.

It's kinda like the evasive maneuver patterns. When Riker doesn't throw in a "Pattern: Riker Delta Five" to show everyone how big his dick is do they just use factory defaults and slowly weave from side to side?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

I challenge anyone to fire 3 torpedoes in a pattern other than a triangle.

if you got a problem with lines being classified as a dispersal pattern be sure to take it up with the federation appeals board in 400 years

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Computer, create a line that even Data can not classify as a triangle

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Didn't Reed also go full First Blood over some space LSD or am I making that up?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

obviously it's because the mirror universe is darker

get it? get it?!! :shepicide:

Isn't that the actual reason? Burnham gives this big depressing monologue about how even the light is different and more depressing and less optimistic and bright than her universe.

It's literally the grimdark universe.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

THERE. ARE. TWO. BREASTS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms_WY0s_1XM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I will not sacrifice four breasts. We've made too many comprises already.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

I thought that was the episode where seven goes crazy and gets the crew to gently caress up some guy she thought had been experimenting on her but this is actually a different seven-goes-nuts-and-sees-poo poo-that-isn't-happening episode.

Was this after she broke up with that guy involved with making the show?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

shadow puppet of a posted:

But its STD so it will suck and you'll get one of those Afterschool Special type ones where Ensign Daft Punk's growing addiction to Brasso causes a rift between herself and those on the crew that care about them (hint, its everyone on the crew)

More like someone is raped and murdered and Ensign Daft Punk is the only suspect. Everyone learns how terrible and lovely they are as they realize they know nothing about a fellow bridge officer and Ensign Daft Punk's family member commits suicide out of penance because Michael's logic flawlessly pins the crime on Ensign Daft Punk.

They then get exonerated by something that makes everyone involved look incredibly stupid and Daft Punk either quits Starfleet or is never mentioned again.

Throw some cheesecake shots of Burnam in her panties in there somewhere. Maybe in a monologue at a statue about how true evil exists inside all people and you can never truly trust anyone.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also, Baltar's pirate radio broadcasts consist entirely of misappropriated Shakespeare quotes, for some reason.

Uhhh you mean Shakespeare consists entirely of misappropriated Baltar quotes

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

drilldo squirt posted:

Walking in a hallway is always very dramatic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQidVzdneE

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

shovelbum posted:

I wanna see her bone saru

Al Borland Corp. posted:

But she has to make him scared first because that makes his fear boner bigger

I guess they also eat Kelpian in the prime universe

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Let us English posted:

Discovery inspired me to go back and watch In a Mirror Darkly for the first time in a decade. What a steaming pile of poo poo. Not even the TOS fan service could save it. Seriously, nobody can act on that show. Stewart, Brooks, and Mulgrew were all talented actors and Bakula isn't even serviceable. He can do affable dumbfuck from Quantum Leap and that's his entire range. Discovery is rough but I bet it still falls in the top 50% of Star Trek as ranked by season.

That one only gets a pass because Archer sounding like someone playing Lex Luthor in a community theater turns the dial closer to "Campy" so people see it as fun rather than poorly acted.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

For some reason I thought this was going to be the baby embedded into a vulcan's face sculpture.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

shovelbum posted:

Can someone post that I can't find it

http://www.startrek.com/artwork/tsang-johnson

quote:

What is the baby thinking?

He is trying to communicate with the life above the sky, to learn from unlimited boundaries, to search for his dream.

What else about your piece should Star Trek fans know?

My piece was completed in early February 2015, and soon after I was shocked and saddened to learn that the actor who played Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy, had died of end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. I found his last tweet, posted a few days before he passed, very inspiring: “A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.” I would like to present this work in memory of Nimoy’s fruitful life. It reminds us to continue looking for a star, searching for dreams.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 2, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
gently caress Chakotay. He had an electronic LSD box to send him on vision quests. At the very least he should have undergone a true journey in the holodeck. They even could have had people mad that it occupied the holodeck for multiple days. The episode writes itself!

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
Enterprise was a more primitive and uncivilized time. By the time TNG rolls around humans spend 75% of their time reading shakespeare and listening to classical music or jazz and have no reason to concern themselves with jackets and outerwear for hostile climates.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You don't understand because you aren't used to serial television, this is more like a book. These aren't plot holes, these all pay off later. You just aren't sophisticated enough to get it.

The problem is most Star trek fans are not the types of people who read, unlike me, a podcaster. Listen to my new podcast and YouTube review channel about the new Star Trek. Don't forget to like, subscribe, and join us in patreon.

I had to pull the ripcord on three separate threads in TV/IV (Orville,General Star Trek, Discovery Specific) because the rabid defenders who get furious if you suggest Discovery might not be good got too annoying to read. They got insufferable after the mid season break when everyone generally agrees the show got better and they could be smug that their misunderstood television show had reached the bar of "Hey it's not complete dogshit."

The Orville thread was the worst because since it is the competition or the enemy or whatever to these people they would go on huge rants about how awful and terrible the show was while silently weeping in the Discovery thread because nobody understood the grimdark swordfighting scenes enough to appreciate them.

VictorianQueerLit fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 5, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mondian posted:

"Computer, end program."

"God drat Deanna that was worst than the last one. Who makes these things?"

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
As long as we got motherfuckin Zathras we got ourselves a show

Edit: Sorry I meant Zathras. He is better than Zathras. It's too bad we can't get Zathras back though.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
DS9 is the only truly good trek. TNG is 100% nostalgia and TOS gets way too much credit for it's camp.

Voyager is better than TNG but still garbage.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This week on STAR TREK: VOYAGER, the Vidiians make a B’Elanna Split and conclusively prove that Roxann Dawson has no idea how to play a Klingon.

I'm not sure it was the actress' fault that she played a klingon so terribly. It was most likely the writers everyone knows were terrible.

Klingon = Warrior Race. Proud. Pursue glory and pride to the detriment of everything else. Combative to establish dominance and not be seen as weak. Arrogant, egotistical and obsessed with tradition.

Voyager Klingon = Huge bitch with a frustrated and sarcastic baseline who just attacks people constantly because KLINGONS SO ANGRY

Martok's wife on DS9 was 1000% better and it had nothing to do with her not being half human. It was the writing.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
She had to join the Maquis because of her UNSTOPPABLE THIRST FOR COMBAT.

Despite Klingons always being huge nerds for anything honorable like oaths or doing their duty.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017
The best Neelix episode is when he is brought back from the dead and tries to commit suicide by beaming himself into space because he realized the afterlife isn't real

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Mulaney Power Move posted:

conquered by two dicked space monsters from beyond the moon

You've read my work?

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Sisko didn't murder a planet, he just made it habitable only by the people who actually owned it

I know a few Maquis who might have a thing or two to say about that

Oh wait........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Sisko's actions in that episode were a proportional and justified response

i'm not being sarcastic or silly in the slightest. Eddington went on and on about how they wanted to be treated like a real space nation. well guess what loving happens when you start lobbing WMDs at your neighbors and then deliberately kneecap Starfleet so that they can't stop you with their usual surgical precision.

then when the Dominion are pushing everyone's poo poo in, Eddington's got the bald-faced temerity to whine about how the mean ol' Federation couldn't be bothered to defend them

Most of the Maquis were war tourists who were so bored with post-scarcity society that they wanted to roleplay revolutionaries. That's why Eddington was being such a loving nerd about his struggle with Sisko.

That Native American planet from TNG was an isolated incident where the people had been there a long time before being moved. Most of the planets had been settled recently in the show's timeline by people that just refused to move to any one of 400,000 empty planets in the galaxy the federation offered to move them to.