Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

"HEADS! I eat a big ham sandwiche! TAILS! I work out!"
HamPants, HamPants the movie, 2009
Pern is a fishing village kept from prosperity only by its isolated location. To get the grain and produce it needs, it trades the bulk of its catch with Dinar, a town on the other side of a well-worn mountain trail. In the past, the caravan has made the entire trip in a month, even when faced with terrible weather.

The two-month mark passed yesterday, and the mayor has decided that the missing caravan needs to be investigated. For better or worse, you are part of the search party. Surely this will turn out alright in the end, won’t it?

General Information

I'm looking for 5 players, and I'll leave recruitment open for a week, depending on the response. This is going to be a play-by-post campaign, and I plan to update twice a week, minimum. The updates will be smaller and more frequent in combat situations.

Setting Information
Below is a map of the continent of Pel – the adventure will begin in the village of Pern.

Character Creation

Level: 1

Stats: You’ll be using the following array before racial adjustments: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Race/Class/Background: Keep it to those in the PHB (Aasimar’s okay too), because I’m not familiar with those outside of the core books. Let me know if you want me to provide something for your background (Like the Hermit’s discovery, or the Sage’s letter from a dead colleague), and I’ll get right on it.

Gold/Gear: Starting gold is 3/4 of the potential maximum for your class, and equipment is as per the PHB – feel free to trade in unneeded starting equipment for gold and do mundane shopping during character creation.

What I need from you:

In order to better work your characters into the world itself, when you post your sheet, I want you to answer the following questions about them:

1. You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern?
2. How and why did you end up on this search party?
3. What are your overarcing goals (Think 2-year-plan)?
4. Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town?
5. What are your living arrangements in Pern?
6. What are you afraid of?
7. What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Interest post. Expect a wood elf Cleric"Half-elf Paladin" ;)

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Thinking of apping a human cross bow expert fighter, not even kidding pdot.

Yevgeniya Adamskaya, Human Archery Fighter

The bored looking Aristocrat smoking from a fashionable cigarette holder? She's not here for the waters. Truth is she's one of those velvet mask high class vigilante types taking a break from searching for her parents' murderers. Only here as an alibi for her last kill, as the dreaded Strzyga, the vampiric owls stories of which frightened curious, morbid, creepy little nocturnal children, who grow up into violent sneaks under the watchful eye of her oblivious godparents. Practicing martial arts and thievery while they planned parties and marriages, it boggles the mind how such a scandal could be brewing right under their noses. Still, she seems to love them, enough to divert her attention in order to protect them, or her extended family, or the servants, or her so-called friends from any who would threaten them or theirs. Solving murder mysteries and all that, how quaint. The only way she stays out of jail is sending a double ahead of her to someplace as far away as possible from where she's operating. The double keeps a diary of everything she does and tells everyone she's bad at remembering names, then they seamlessly switch until things blow over. Problem is, sometimes that itchy trigger finger and sense of 'justice' ends up blowing over those very havens! I, Mr. B, am sworn to silence about it, and am drunkenly whispering this into a hole in the ground out of frustration. She does not pay me enough to be her butler! No... she does. And her hobby does benefit from my old war days, some of which I don't wish to be scrubbed from my memory. Now, off to fetch hot water from what passes for a hotel here, and buy some butter for the Sole meunière I am to prepare this evening, lest she sneak out again to risk poisoning herself on those stews the locals swill.

1. You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern? alibi
2. How and why did you end up on this search party? boredom, justice
3. What are your overarcing goals (Think 2-year-plan)? hunt down killers, marry a rich gay man or woman and keep doing what she's doing
4. Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town? Mr. B, known since she was a baby, he went ahead of her with the double, Jelena, to establish that she's been there the whole time and been aristocratic and absolutely not been slumming it out. Jelena, is out of disguise and back to being a lady's companion when that lady is actually around. When Yevgeniya goes on the investigation poor Jelena will have to get back in disguise as her double and Mr. B will be worried sick.
5. What are your living arrangements in Pern? hotel
6. What are you afraid of? owls, vampires
7. What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable? batman'd

e; I'll switch up the class or whatever if someone else really wants to do archery fighter.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CyeFxxkO49anhgj7Cx3WdnDPU2Qry1_D9qlB5i42FeU/edit?usp=sharing

e; the Bounty Hunter is a reskinned Spy if that's okay with you? Technically it's from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide but I didn't think it was too 'out there.'

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 24, 2016

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Geddoff (Gedd) Deppentoe
Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)
Class & Level: Sorceror (Wild Magic)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Urchin
Height: 2’10”
Weight: 36 lb.

STR 10
DEX 14 (+2 from Halfling)
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 13
CHA 16 (+1 from Lightfoot Halfling)

Racial features
Speed: 25 ft.
Languages: Common, Halfling
Ability score increases: +2 Dexterity, +1 Charisma
Halfling Nimbleness: You can move through the space of any creature that is of a size larger than yours.
Brave: You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened
Lucky: When you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check or saving throw, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll.
Naturally Stealthy: You can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you.

Background benefits
Feature – You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.
Skill proficiencies: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Tool proficiencies: Disguise Kit, Thieve's Tools

Class features and proficiencies
Spellcasting

Tides of Chaos - Starting at 1st level you can manipulate the forces of chance and chaos to gain advantage on one attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Once you do so, you must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again. Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. You then regain the use of this feature.

Wild Magic Surge - Starting when you choose this origin at 1st level, your spellcasting can unleash surges of untamed magic.
Immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher, the DM can have you roll a d20. If you roll a 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table to create a random magical effect. If a Wild Magic effect is a spell, it's too wild to be affected by Metamagic. If it normally requires concentration, it doesn't require concentration in this case; the spell lasts for its full duration.

Weapons: Daggers, darts, slings, quarter staffs, light crossbows

Tools: –

Skill proficiencies: Arcana, Insight

Money: 10gp 7sp 5cp
Equipment:
An Explorer's Pack
A crystal (Arcane Focus) Stolen from a magic items merchant when Geddoff was young
Light Crossbow
40 bolts
Dagger
Darts x 5
Hourglass
Grappling Hook
Chain 30 ft.
Potion of Healing
Spells
Rations (8 days)

Cantrips
Mending
Fire Bolt
Light
Minor Illusion

First Level
Witch Bolt
Disguise Self

Geddoff is a young Halfling, but old for someone of his background. Raised by himself on the streets of a town which name he can't remember, Geddoff learnt to rely only on himself and his friend of his youth, Lilshit. Both of their names weren't gifted to them, but merely what they heard so often they each took it as their own. Learning to steal what he could to eat, or swap for a night under someone's shelter afforded Gedd the opportunity to hone his skills in deception and thievery. He wasn't as keen on the killing as some of the bigger lads would do, instead relying on his own cleverness and ability to spin a yarn to get what he was after.

After a long 10 years of life, Gedd had the opportunity to "relieve" a particular merchant of some valuable looking rocks and bottles. Most people seemed to pay a mighty price for that sorta crap, so Gedd decided it would be worthwhile to get some of his own to sell. After a stressful night worthy of any Urchin's story sharing, Gedd had managed to get his hands on a couple of potions of red, and a single, spiky crystal.
When it came to selling up, Gedd got more than 20 gold pieces for the potions! More than he had ever gotten from a fence before, enough for a couple weeks food and sleep! With such a haul, he decided that he might keep this little pretty rock as a sort of memento. Something to remind himself of the life he was about to leave behind (dreams are big at the ripe age of 11).
It was from this time onwards that strange magical things began to happen, and over the next 10 years of stealing and selling goods, Gedd's ability to direct and channel these happenings through the crystal he now wore around his neck afforded him the chance he needed to get himself off the streets and into something more worthwhile.
It just so happened that this something more worthwhile was just utilising his magical prowess to appropriate fine goods for selling to his fence, childhood friend, Lilshit. Word quickly got around from the merchant that some valuable Arcane items had been pilfered, and Gedd's likeness was plastered around his area of town.
To this day, Gedd remains ill-at-ease around any travelling merchant, lest the one he robbed find him finally, and by some chance, remember him as the thief-boy all those years ago.

1. You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern?
Gedd has heard tell of some sort of job cropping up in this town. Something where his particular set of skills might be of use. The skills where lying, cheating, and stealing whilst keeping a smile on your face would go a long way. Unfortunately, that was three weeks ago, and Gedd's contact still hasn't turned up. It's getting on in time now. Gedd is starting to think paying a finder's fee up front wasn't the best idea. *sigh*
Gedd has started to run dry on funds. Living a life of destitution didn't help Gedd in his saving plans, and now he's taking any ol' opportunity to make enough money to at least live, if not make his way to another, more prosperous, town. Besides, making new contacts in a new town is never a bad thing. Perhaps there'll be more opportunities come from this.
Gedd will always be looking for that "big break" to REALLY get him off the thieving, rear end in a top hat life, but is hugely interested in expanding his abilities as a magic user. You know, really get to be one of those fancy wizard types building great towers and helping thousands of people with just their spellbooks and fine robes!
4. Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town?
Gedd knows only his contact in this town, though hasn't seen him for some months now. Brant (the contact) was meant to meet him a few weeks back with details of a job. He's never fallen through before, but he has been late on a number of occasions...
Gedd is used to living rough, and he's found a decent bridge nearby a nice tavern where he can get his meals at a reasonable rate. Gedd keeps all his belongings on him, or under this bridge at any point in time.
Not living up to his potential, or being hurt by his own magic. Being hurt by other thieves, being hurt by falling objects, being hurt by his friends, being hurt by his enemies. Just being hurt in any way shape or form. Gedd is a bit of a coward, preferring to avoid confrontation.
Once, when attempting to utilise his magic when it was still new to him, Gedd had tried to create an illusion of a barrel to hide him from view. What happened instead involved teleportation, falling into a nearby river, and the loss of his left ear.
Wild magic can be a bitch.

sorry if it's crap. Never done a PBP, and only ever DM'd before

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 30, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Rhogar Kopeshk
Theme Music

Rhogar doesn't come from a tragic or noble background; his parents are both alive and well (and love him very much). His brothers and sisters are all nice people who have all wished him the best in life. Believe it or not, there is not much competition in tile making within Pern. Indeed, the Kopeshk dragons have had many a fortunate moon living with the locals, and Rhogar is reminded time and time again to be thankful of the good fortune and safety his family has.

This would all be well and good, if living in a fishing town wasn't so drat BORING. Since he was a child, Rhogar has always been enthralled with tales of his ancestors. The great dragons who once roamed the skies; fearsome creatures who were as benevolent as they were powerful. Rhogar's own metallic ancestors fighting their evil chromatic brothers in an epic battle that would determine the fate of the world! These are the adventures Rhogar wanted to be a part of; these are the tales of Heroism that stoked the fires of his heart. Not the stories of "Heskan the Rat Slayer" or "Nimrak the Eel Catcher." (Although he does have a great amount of respect for both of his siblings, their deeds aren't quite on the scale Rhogar was hoping for.)

Don't misunderstand; Rhogar loves his family business and can enjoy the work that he does. His family once had a really big commission from some foreign town that he has since forgotten the name of. During which Rhogar had spent an abundance of extra hours carving a grand image on each bit of pavement that when put together reveals an image of two great dueling dragons. He takes a tremendous amount of pride in the work he does, and since then has wondered where his work had ended up; perhaps one day hoping to stumble onto it while traveling along the road.

He doesn't know if he wants to be a tile maker for the rest of his life, he certainly hates feeling like his whole life is determined for him. At the very least, he wants to see what the roads ahead are made of.

Questions

"Why are you in a backwater village like Pern?"
"My mom an' dad had decided to take a break from their adventurin' lives. They had met a djinn who had decided to give them one wish as thanks for freeing him from the clutches of an evil wizard." Rhogar lets out a great big sigh at the next statement. "They wished to live a secluded life, doing a profession that would give them and their children much wealth. Turns out the soil in Pern is magic, or so my parents say, and so the clay we make our tiles with is magic as well. Of course, it's a family secret as to how we actually tap into it."

"How and why did you end up on the search party?"
"Because a lot of our art was on that wagon. My sister Jillian had made such a spectacular set of tiles, especially for her first run at the kiln. A layman such as yourself wouldn't notice it, but each square was perfectly shaped; not a one of her batch was bigger or smaller than the rest. While she did make some minor mistakes like messing up the circumference of her circular engravings., there's a lot of blood and pride in that work and I'm sure as hell not going to let it go missing. Plus, i'm dying to get the heck out of here and actually see some action."

"What are your overarching goals?"
"...I dunno." The Dragonborn lets out a brief bit of smoke from his nostrils. "What? I don't. I don't know if I'll become a hero like my namesake, or if I'll take up the family business like my parents want me to. I guess I want to go out and live life to the fullest, you know? I want to live some of my own adventures, but at the same time there's a lot of security here in Pern that... well, I guess there's a difference between hearing about battling an ooze out to devour you alive, and actually feeling your body getting covered in acid. I do like to sing and play the lute, though. Maybe I'll find a nice Dragonborn missus to cozy on up with in two years."

"Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town?"
"More like who DON'T I know in town. After a while in a place like this, you kind of start to get to know everybody." Rhogar ponders for a bit before deciding on an answer. "Ol' Jillian Thorngage has been awfully kind to me. She runs the inn down by the harbor; oft times lets me perform there and tell tales of heroism when I don't want to work on the kiln anymore. Nice little lady, that one. She and my parents go waaaay back, apparently. She don't like to talk about that one much, though."

"What are your living arrangements in Pern?"
"A bed that can barely hold me in a room full of fire breathing dragons. It's poo poo. You ever sleep on stone? It hurts your back like hell."

"What are you afraid of?"
"The hell kind of question is that to ask?" Rhogar gives you a wary look before he responds. " Bein' alone. If i'm good at what I do and get rich doin' it, there's bound to be someone who'll put up with my company."

"What is something bad that happened to you in your past that is memorable?"
"There was once a rough bunch of people that came into town. Looked like they might've been pirates, or vagabonds, or brigands. Messed everything up the place real bad. I figured I would play the hero an' try to save the day, like the stories of Rhogar the Red, and got captured because of my bravery. Almost got killed too, if it weren't for my mom i'd be deader 'n dead. You should have seen her- she was like a tornado with blades. It's easy for her to say that I should stay in town when she can do things like that. A bunch of the assholes got away because of me, and I never heard the end of it from m'friends."

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Rhogar Kopeshk
Race: Dragonborn
Class: Bard
Background: Guild Artisan (Tile Makers)
Alignment: Neutral Good

STR: 15 (+2)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 10 (0)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Prof Bonus: +2

HP: 8 AC: 13
Spell Save DC: 13
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Dex, Cha
Tool Proficiencies: Lute, Pan Flute, Drums. Potter's Tools.
Skill Proficiencies: Persuasion, Insight, History, Athletics, Performance
Languages: Common, Draconian, Halfling

Characteristics: "I like to talk at length about my profession"
Ideal: Freedom. Everyone should be free to pursue his or her own livelihood.
Bond: I pursue wealth to secure someone's love.
Flaw: I'm horribly jealous of anyone who can outshine my handiwork. Everywhere I go, I'm surrounded by rivals.

Actions
Racial Ability: Dragon Breath (Red), 2d6 damage in a 15 foot cone. Dex save for half damage.

Bonus Actions
Bardic Inspiration (d6), 3 times/long rest.

Spells

Cantrips
Mending
Vicious Mockery

1st Level Spells
Cure Wounds
Heroism
Dissonant Whispers
Identify

Equipment
Longsword (+4 to hit, 1d8+2 slashing damage)
Entertainer's Pack
A lute
Drums
Leather Armor
Dagger
Pottery Tools
Ink (1 oz) & Ink Pen
Parchment (20 sheets)

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 6, 2016

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Woo, I was hoping a 5E game would show up!

I'll make a character after work. Considering a dwarven bladelock.

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.
Daro Shafthill

Daro washed up on Pern, literally washed up on Pern, after drunkenly falling off of a passing party boat. That was three months ago. While recuperating with hair-of-the-dog in the local inn, he overheard two caravaneers arguing about how they were going to pay for repairs. Apparently, a rock slide had heavily damaged some wagons and needed to be replaced or fixed before shipments could continue at full efficiency.

Daro, always looking for ways to finance his free-wheeling lifestyle, offered to front the cash for the repairs. He’d stay on in Pern until the caravan operators paid him back double the original amount. When word spread that a search party would be sent out to find the caravan, Daro demanded a place in it. After all, if the caravan never returned Daro would be broke and the months languishing in Pern would have been for nothing.

Daro’s long term goals include drinking, fighting, and dancing and staying the hell away from Luiren, where his family anxiously awaits him to become custodian of the family fortune. He is mortified of becoming old and slow and fat like his father and uncles.

Daro knows the mayor in Pern. When word spread of Daro’s investment in the caravan, the mayor appeared in person at the inn to thank him. Daro reminded him that it was not an altruistic gesture, but simply a matter of business. Still, the mayor seemed very grateful for the halfling’s intervention.

During the many uneventful nights in Pern, when Daro couldn’t drum up a barroom brawl or a sea-shanty singalong with the local fisherman, his thoughts turned to Annalise. A year ago, he had seen her perform with a group of travelling entertainers. He’d spent weeks following their caravans, catching every show. He tried to woo her any way he could, and he thought he had succeeded. They’d spent a glorious three days together, but on the fourth day he awoke to find that he had been shut up in his own footlocker. When the landlord arrived to let him out, he found that he had been robbed blind. The only thing left behind was his grandfather’s bow. A piece of paper was taped to it—a purple lipstick kiss pressed against it.

quote:

Name: Daro Shafthill
Race: Stout Halfling
Class: Fighter
Background: Noble

STR: 10 (0)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 16 (+3)
WIS: 8 (-1)
CHA: 13 (+1)

HP: 13 AC: 14
Saving Throw Proficiencies: STR, CON
Archery Combat Style
Tool Proficiencies: Cards
Skill Proficiencies: Acrobatics, History, Survival, Persuasion
Languages: Common, Halfling, Dwarven

Equipment
Leather Armor
Longbow + 20 Arrows
Shield + Whip
Two Handaxes
A Dungeoneer's Pack
Gaming Set
0 Gold (All money tied up in the caravan)
Fine Clothes & Signet Ring

Actions
Second Wind: On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Characteristics: "I don't draw attention to my rich background, if I can help it. I'll make my own way"
Ideal: Sincerity. For a long time, I denied who I really was.
Bond: My grandfather's bow is a symbol of freedom and adventure. I must not lose it.
Flaw: Anyone who questions my fighting ability or pokes fun at my stature quickly feels the sting of my whip. I am often short-sighted, especially when it comes to women and quick gold.

MTV Crib Death fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 24, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Half-Orc fighter or barbarian here. gently caress it, let's walk on the wild side. Half-orc rogue.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 23, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm probably going to make a tiefling paladin for this. Does the setting use any particular pantheon?

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I'm probably going to make a tiefling paladin for this. Does the setting use any particular pantheon?

We'll use 3.5's pantheon - Kord, Nerull, Obad-Hai and the like.

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Woo, I was hoping a 5E game would show up!

You and me both! :3: So I decided to start one up myself!

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

MTV Crib Death posted:

literally washed up on Pern

<:(> damnit, you stole my angle

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Going to hop back on the saddle and post a wizard here.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think I'll get a cleric in here.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Ham Pants posted:

Race/Class/Background: Keep it to those in the PHB

Would you entertain the spell-less Ranger and/or Favored Soul (sorcerer archetype)?

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

Spell-less Ranger yes, Favoured Soul no, because the latter doesn't fit the overall scheme of the world.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Crap, I had a backstory written up and then before I posted it I noticed that I was basically playing a more pessimistic version of Arrrthritis' backstory.

I'll try to come up with something else, but here's the character sheet for now.

Eh, let's go with it. Here's a dwarf with a mid-life crisis.

Character Sheet posted:

Name: Gruras Whurlagg
Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Warlock (Fiendish Patron)
Background: Guild Artisan (Miner)
Alignment: Neutral

STR: 16 (+3)
DEX: 12 (+1)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT: 8 (-1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 15 (+2)

HP: 10 AC: 15
Spell Save DC: 12
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Wis, Cha
Tool Proficiencies: Mining tools
Skill Proficiencies: Intimidation, Arcana, Insight, Persuasion
Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: Light/Medium Armor, Battleaxe, handaxe, throwing hammer, warhammer
Languages: Common, Dwarven

Abilities:
Speed: 25
Darkvision
Dwarven Resilience: Advantage vs poison, resistance vs poison damage
Stonecunning: Whenever you make an Int (history) check related to the origin of stonework, you are proficient in the History skill and add double your proficiency bonus.
Dark One's Own Luck: When you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, gain temporary hit points equal to (CHA+level)

Spells

Cantrips
Eldritch Blast
Mage Hand

1st Level Spells
Armor of Agathys
Hex

Characteristics: I never shy away from physical work, but I defer to others on big-picture tasks and planning.
Ideal: Purpose. Everybody has potential inside of them, and it's up to them to utilize it.
Bond: I owe a great deal to my family; although I don't always show it I really appreciate everything they have done for me.
Flaw: I often choose stability over ambition and I hate myself for it.

Equipment
Scale Mail
Warhammer (1d10+3 bludgeoning)
Light Hammer x2 (1d4+3 bludgeoning, light, thrown 20/60)
Dungeoneers Pack
* Backpack
* Crowbar
* Hammer
* Piton x10
* Torch x10
* Tinderbox
* Rations x10
* Waterskin
* Hemp Rope (50 ft.)
Arcane Orb (Iron sphere)
Traveler's Clothes
34gp

You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern? Ugh, I wasn't supposed to still be here. I had plans for my life. I was going to apprentice under a master silversmith, start my own practice, and generally live the good life. Then about two years before my apprenticeship was supposed to end, my family gets a letter from my uncle who tells me he's setting up a mine in the mountains outside this village and he wants my help. I've always hated mining but you got to help family out, right?

Anyway, everything is up and running, other dwarves are showing up, iron is flowing out of the mines, and then I get word that the silversmith I was apprenticing under was killed by orc raiders. I could probably find another apprenticeship, but then I'd have to start over. My uncle told me he'd give me a job in the mine until I found another silversmith to take me on, and now I'm about to turn 150 and I'm still here.

How and why did you end up on this search party?
A few months ago I found a weird chunk of iron in the mine. It was a sphere of pure iron, no ore or anything like that. Ever since I took it home I've had these nagging feelings that I'm wasting my life here and if I don't do something soon I'm going to die in this mine. This seems like an excellent opportunity to feel useful for once in my pathetic life.

What are your overarcing goals (Think 2-year-plan)?
I don't even know anymore. It's been so long since my aborted apprenticeship that I don't know if it's even worth pursuing that. Even if it was, silversmithing just feels like a waste of time; I'd be escaping the iron mines just to put myself in another rut making candlesticks and flatware. Not exactly stuff that will make people remember you. And it's been so long who knows if I'm still good at it. I guess for now I want to figure out these weird abilities I seem to have gotten ever since I found that iron sphere. When I idly said "I'd sell my soul to have some purpose", it appears that Dispater was paying attention!

Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town?
My uncle Garan runs the iron mine. He's a nice enough guy, and I really am grateful that he got me a job at a time in my life when I needed it, but if he hadn't pulled me out of my apprenticeship in the first place then I wouldn't be stuck here in this town.

What are your living arrangements in Pern?
I have a room at my uncle's house, although I may as well live in the mine for all the free time I have.

What are you afraid of? I'm not crazy about heights, but my biggest fear is that I'm too old to turn my life around.

What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable? You mean besides my apprenticeship coming to an untimely end? I had an opportunity to leave here once. A friend I knew from home came to visit and he told me he was moving to Nolvin to start an inn. All I would have had to do would be to go join him and then even if I eventually got bored at least I would have been in a big city with a chance to start over instead of stuck here in Pern. Instead I got drunk, told him his business plan would never work, insulted him. and passed out at the bar. When I woke up he was gone and I went back into the mines, wondering what could have been.

Haschel Cedricson fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 24, 2016

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Ashlynn, Halfling Warlock

(Gonna do the questions a bit out of order)

You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern?
Three weeks? Please, I've been here my entire life! All ten and eight of them! My father's a fisherman and my mother...well...childbirth isn't always easy. So as far as I can remember it's just been the two of us. He's usually out at sea most of the time, so I always just did what I could to make by. Without him around I used to roam around wherever I wanted. Unfortunately whenever I ended up causing trouble the villagers put me to work, at least when I couldn't talk myself out of it. Dad was fine with it, he was okay with the whole "takes a village" thing. I can't really complain though, it was that exact habit that got me my job!

Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town?
Well, Miss Myrtle isn't exactly in the town, she has a hut outside of it. I went through the forest for mushrooms one autumn, and stumbled on her field with the most delicious looking cabbages I ever saw. There weren't many mushrooms left and I was hungry so I---what? No! I didn't steal them! I knocked on the door and asked if I could trade for one! Well, I didn't have much to trade for, but when she saw that her cabbages were ready for harvest she said if I helped her with her field I could have some of her cabbages. She had a lot of weird plants in her garden, sure a few basic stuff including carrots and potatoes, but weird plants with even weirder shapes, thorns, and juices. When I asked why she didn't sell these plants at the town market, she told me that a witch like her usually wasn't welcome in town. As I waved goodbye, she said I could come back anytime and help her on her not-so-little-garden in exchange for food and some neat odds and ends.

These days I bounce between Miss Myrtle's house and my dad's house. He's not too sure about the arrangement, but so far it's worked out well and help put food on the table. When he's out at sea I usually sleep in Miss Myrtle's loft, and when he's home I help him out with chores.

Well, what I have right now works rather well! After I helped Miss Myrtle for a few years she started teaching me a little bit of her magic. Nothing much, but how to ask mother nature herself to protect me, and a few tricks here and there. She mentioned that I'm starting to be more her apprentice rather than her little helper. You know, that wouldn't be so bad it's just...

What are you afraid of?
Well, I don't know very much about Miss Myrtle, and her magic can be a little scary sometimes. Is that what it means to be a witch? But I've seen wizards and sorcerer's come through town before and they weren't so bad. Nobody seemed to be afraid of them, but people don't like Miss Myrtle at all. They think it's weird that I work for her? On the other hand she's so nice and so pretty. Is she really a witch or...something else?

Miss Myrtle told me that somebody across the continent was supposed to send her something. Part of a deal or something like that, she didn't go into detail. When I mentioned that the village was going to send search party for the missing caravan she got interested and said I should go along too. I'm not sure why, but she said that her package was probably in the caravan. She said I would know it's for her when I see it...which is good because she never told me what it was!

What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable?
Umm...well...uh...okay. The morning we were supposed to set out, she said that no matter what as long as I was kind to nature, it would protect me. And that she would watch over me no matter how far I traveled. And then she kind of sort of kissed me. I mean there's nothing wrong with that I just...uh...didn't know she felt that way. I'm just not sure what that was about but...well... I guess it was kind of nice.

Ashlynn posted:

Name: Ashlynn
Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)
Class: Warlock
Background: Folk Hero (Rascal Farmgirl)

STR: 8 (-1)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 13 (+1)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

HP: 9 AC: 14
Spell Save DC: 14
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Wisdom, Charisma
Tool Proficiencies: Cook's Utensils, vehicles (land)
Skill Proficiencies: Arcana, Nature, Persuasion, Stealth

Attacks
Shovel: +1, 1d6-1. Throw (20/60), Versitile (1d8)
Eldritch Blast: +5, 1d10. Range (120ft.), V S

Background
Defining Event: Miss Myrtle gave me her blessing.
Rustic Hospitality: Fit in among common folk, find place to rest among commoners, or protection but won't risk lives.
Characteristics: I judge people by their actions, not their words.
Ideal: Kindness. People deserve to be treated with kindness.
Bond: I wonder what Miss Myrtle meant by watching over me...
Flaw: I'm too focused on the task, and blind to my shortcomings and the risk failure.

Race
Small. 3ft, 40lbs.
Speed: 25
Lucky: Reroll 1's on attacks, ability checks, and saving throws. Must use new roll.
Brave: Advantage vs being frightened.
Nimbleness: Move into the space of any creature larger than me.
Naturally Stealthy: Hide even when obscured only by a creature at least one size larger.

Class
Otherworldly Patron: Archfey (Miss Myrtle)
Fey Presence: Action - each creature in 10ft cube originating from me makes Wis save or be charmed/frightened until end of next turn. 1/short rest.

Spells
Save DC: 13

Cantrips
Eldritch Blast (flavored as nature helping out, such as whacking a goblin with a sudden tree branch)
Prestidigitation

1st Level Spells
Faerie Fire
Hex

Equipment
Spear Shovel
2 Daggers
Leather Armor
Component Pouch
Scholar's Pack
Explorer's Pack (w/o extra backpack)
Cook's Utensils
Iron Pot
Common Clothes
125 gp

EDIT: Changed some stats around, using Persuasion and Stealth instead of Survival and Animal Handling. Keeps her stuff at decent levels and in a bit more practical skills.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 31, 2016

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Haschel Cedricson posted:

Crap, I had a backstory written up and then before I posted it I noticed that I was basically playing a more pessimistic version of Arrrthritis' backstory.

Play what you want man, there's no guarantee that i'm going to be getting in. Pessimism might be what the OP wants.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Villagers of Pern known Anyasa as the local witch. She's the creepy elf that lives on the outskirts of town all by herself. Occasionally she brews a potion to soothe a woman in labor or magically repairs a broken wagon wheel, so she doesn't seem so bad. But there's no doubt about it - she's a witch. She even has a black cat. And her magic speaks for itself.

It's been a good cover. The truth isn't suspected by the locals. Anyasa is a recovering kleptomaniac. It's so easy to steal when you have a natural talent for telekinesis, after all. And she was one of the best, up until the last job went bad. She lost someone important and decided to ditch the life entirely. But the life wouldn't let her go. She had to go into hiding, taking on her current role in this remote village, exiled and all alone with her guilt. Anyasa focused her energy into an old elven hobby, magic, and tried to become a better person.

Pern has been a nice place to lay low while her criminal past faded into history. It's been 30 years since she last burgled the house of a noble. Her elven longevity made that possible, and as decades passed she has truly changed her ways. Everyone has a chance at redemption, she feels, and she finally thinks she has found her own. She is ready to move on from Pern and her self-imposed exile. When she offered her aid for the routine checkup, folks were surprised, but they didn't say no. It's not wise to refuse a witch.

quote:

I live here! For thirty years I've traded my slowly-growing magical talents for basic supplies, while keeping my past a secret from the locals.
2. How and why did you end up on this search party? It's time to get out of here and move on with life. I just asked to join, and everyone seemed surprised that I even cared. Really, it's a way for me to begin to trust myself again. Small steps.
3. What are your overarcing goals (Think 2-year-plan)? Find my new place in life, stay away from old habits.
4. Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town? See NPCs section below.
5. What are your living arrangements in Pern? A 4-room shanty on the outskirts of Pern.
6. What are you afraid of? Reverting to my old ways. Getting my friends killed.
7. What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable? The job that went south, and the person I lost. Don't dig up those memories, please. I've carried the guilt for 30 years.

quote:

Anyasa, Witch of Pern

High-Elven Wizard, level 1

pre:
STR 08 (-1)
       athletics -1
DEX 16 (+3)
       acrobatics +3
       sleight of hand +3
       stealth +5
CON 13 (+1)
INT 16 (+3, saves +5)
       arcana +5
       history +3
       investigation +5
       nature +3
       religion +3
WIS 12 (+1, saves +3)
       animal handling +1
       insight +1
       medicine +1
       perception +3
       survival +1
CHA 10 (+0)
       deception +2
       intimidation +0
       performance +0
       persuasion +0
HP: 7
HD: 1d6+1
AC: 13
Attacks: Longbow, +5 to-hit, 1d8+3 damage
Saving Throws: Int, Wis

Racial traits: darkvision 60', fey ancestry, trance, weapon training, cantrip (mage hand), extra language (goblin)
Skills: perception (race), stealth (bg), deception (bg), arcana (class), investigation (class)
Tools: 1 gaming set, thieves' tools
Languages: common, elven, goblin (racial), dwarven (bg)

Background: Criminal (Burglar)
Feature: Criminal Contact (see NPCs below)
Personality: I always remain calm, no matter the situation, never raising my voice or getting emotional.
Ideal: Redemption. There's a spark of good in everyone.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. It won't ever happen again.
Flaw: When I see something valuable, I can't think about anything but how to steal it.

Spells
Cantrips: (3) light, mending, minor illusion, and mage hand (racial)
Spellbook: (6) find familiar, detect magic, grease, fog cloud, sleep, shield
Prepared Spells: (4) grease, fog cloud, sleep, shield
Spell Slots: 2 1st-level
Arcane Recovery: 1 slot
Spell DC: 13

Familiar: A black cat ("Percy", fey cat, stats on PHB p305)
2HP, AC12, tiny beast, 40ft speed/30ft climb, Stealth +4, Perception +3, +8 if smell-able

Equipment
short sword, arcane focus, scholar's pack, spellbook, dark common clothes with a hood, crowbar, belt pouch with 83gp, longbow, 40 arrows, thieves tools

quote:

NPCs

Sarah Foster
9-year-old human girl
Children always try to come by and see the witch. Most would lose their nerve and run away screaming. Sarah kept coming back, always asking silly questions. 'Why are your ears so pointy?', 'Do you eat children?'. One question caught my attention: 'Why don't you have a real cat?'. She had somehow figured out the familiar nature of Percy. The girl has latent magical talent, and could even be an apprentice in a few years. It probably won't happen, as her parents are quite rich and would rather marry her off to get even richer. The Fosters don't want her anywhere near me. Back in the day their estate would have made a tempting target. I could probably have gone in from the roof and...ugh, sorry, got off track. Yep, the Fosters hate me and their daughter will need real training to not accidentally end up in a pact with some fiend.

Desnar
Dwarven smuggler
The only local who really knows me, old Desnar was part of our gang. He knows all the gory details of my past, and he smuggled me into town so many years ago. He still operates out of the docks, independent now, bringing things in or out that aren't entirely lawful. I don't ask any more, and he respects my new life. We are still on good terms, and he's always there for me if I need to find out some info from the grapevine. We never meet in the same place, so we aren't spotted together, but we have a system to leave messages.

ritorix fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 12, 2016

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Vic Narosh

You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern?
Backwater? Hmm it is a bit more out of the way than some of the places I have been. And fewer people. I don't spend a lot of time in cities so I cannot really say what is and is not a backwater. Oh? Why am I here? I was just passing through. I travel a lot, seeing the world, and experiencing the wonders of the wild. I was making my way to Buzzard Bay, and stopped by Pern on the way back. I don't usually spend much time in one place but was taking some time to rest before heading through the mountains again.

Hmm?
Aaron the Tanner. He has a hut just on the edge of town, and I met him some years ago when I passed by this way before. As I travel the lands I come across various animals, and in the course of surviving off the land I have acquired the skins of a number of them. When I pass by I trade a number of them to Aaron, who uses them in his various crafts, in exchange for supplies.

Well I don't spend much time indoors, so I have been staying on the outskirts of town. I make camp among a loose collection of boulders, with some natural growth. I have adjusted things a bit to make it more comfortable but it is still a temporary dwelling at best. I also spend much of my time at Buzzard Bay.

Well as I said I travel a lot. I have been travelling the world and while I have not seen the entirety of the world just yet, I fully intend to do so at some time. At the very least I intend to travel all of Pel within the next two years.

What are you afraid of?
Hmm. I fear being stuck in one place. Of being complacent and not traveling. Of never experiencing the entirety of this wonderous world.

As I was passing through again on my way past town I spoke to Aaron and he told me of the troubles you had. How your caravan had not returned yet. He suggested that you might need a guide through the mountains, one who is skilled at traveling the wild lands beyond civilization. And since I like to explore anyway I put my departure on hold so that I may help the search party through the mountain trails.

Five years ago. I had already been traveling the world for some time. But my wanderlust was waning. I had not seen my family in years. It was only to be a quick stop, to see how they were doing, maybe eat a few meals with them. But when I returned all I found were the remains of a burned wreckage where their cottage once stood. I asked around and eventually learned that a few years before there was a bandit attack. They were killed and their cottage caught fire in the attack. I found the simple grave the villagers made for them and said my goodbyes. Then I returned to my wandering.

pre:
Name: Vic Narosh
Race: Human (variant)
Class: Druid
Background: Outlander
Alignment: Neutral 

STR: 08 (-1)
DEX: 10 (+0)
CON: 12 (+1)
INT: 14 (+2)
WIS: 16 (+3)
CHA: 14 (+2)

HP: 9 AC: 14
Spell Save DC: 13
Saving Throw Proficiencies: Int (+4), Wis (+5)
Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Pan Flute
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics (+2), Insight (+5), Nature (+4), Perception (+5), Survival (+5)
Languages: Common, Druidic, Elven, Sylvan

Characteristics: I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.
Ideal: The natural world is more important than all the constructs of civilization
Bond: An injury to the unspoiled wilderness of my home is an injury to me.
Flaw: There’s no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.

Feats
Sentinel

Actions

Bonus Actions

Spells

Cantrips
Druidcraft
Produce Flame

1st Level Spells
Goodberry
Healing Word
Detect Poison and Disease
Purify Food and Drink (Ritual)

2 Per Day [ ] [ ] 

Equipment
A Wooden Shield
Scimitar (+2 to hit, 1d6+0 slashing damage)
Hide armor
Explorer’s pack
  backpack, 
  a bedroll,
  a mess kit, 
  a tinderbox, 
  10 torches, 
  10 days of rations, 
  a waterskin. 
  50 feet of hempen rope
Druidic focus
A staff, 
hunting trap, 
a trophy from an animal you killed, 
a set of traveler’s clothes, 
a belt pouch containing 10 gp
60 gp (3/4 max starting gold for a Druid)
Leather Armor sold for Hide Armor.

Sentinel
• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack,
the creature’s speed becomes 0 for the rest of
the turn.
• Creatures within 5 feet o f you provoke opportunity
attacks from you even if they take the Disengage
action before leaving your reach.
• When a creature within 5 feet of you makes an attack
against a target other than you (and that target doesn’t
have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a
melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.

Feature: Wanderer
You have an excellent memory for maps and geography,
and you can always recall the general layout o f terrain,
settlements, and other features around you. In addition,
you can find food and fresh water for yourself and up to
five other people each day, provided that the land offers
berries, small game, water, and so forth.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 24, 2016

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Interest post - gonna put a paladin here later :3:

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

quote:

Gold/Gear: Starting gold is 3/4 of the potential maximum for your class, and equipment is as per the PHB – feel free to trade in unneeded starting equipment for gold and do mundane shopping during character creation.
Are we doing starting gold + equipment packages? Or just the gold? I'll do equipment once I know for sure; I have a pretty good idea of the stuff I'll want.

[modified from elsewhere on the forums]

Sereia Arlingfeld [link goes to fluff]
Half-Elf [Sorcerer(Draconic Bloodline), soon to dip Fighter; Paladin-flavoured]

quote:

Race/Class/Background: Let me know if you want me to provide something for your background (Like the Hermit’s discovery, or the Sage’s letter from a dead colleague), and I’ll get right on it.
[totally picking Hermit]:siren: (for a visual, think Luke Skywalker's appearance in Star Wars VII)
Sereia had never wanted to be an adventurer, but after becoming a pariah in her hometown, life held few other options for her. Her career as an adventurer met with mixed success, and she lived in the shadow of the curse that had befallen her brother (some believed that her whole family's troubles were caused by it, and that the taint had touched her, as well.)
Finally she withdrew from society, her travels eventually taking her across the sea, to land at Pern.

(alternate background choice: Acolyte)

quote:

What I need from you:

In order to better work your characters into the world itself, when you post your sheet, I want you to answer the following questions about them:

Sereia is seen as a coward/traitor/collaborationist by her kin, for allowing their city to be occupied, rather than face war. Also, many believe her brother is responsible for a myriad of troubles. It was only a matter of time before there was nowhere she 'belonged' and had to disappear somewhere far removed, where no one would know her. Her family has a history of fleeing across the seas, and has always been reverent towards the deities who claim them as their domain.
    Try as she might, Sereia always finds herself in situations where danger is likely, and not many other people are up to the task. Her heart might not be into adventuring, but the universe seemingly keeps pulling her in that direction.
    Just to live peacefully and be content. Failing that: Finding her brother, removing the curse, making amends with friends and allies who went separate ways in less-than-amicable circumstances.
    Growing up, Sereia had an 'aunt' who she was very close with; as an adult she has always been very protective of children, particularly young girls. Probably one or more of the local kids will have wandered out and come across the weird/quiet sorcerer-lady, while playing.

• :siren:Alternate answer: Sereia's very very close friend and some-time adventuring companion, Quilian Nailos :3:
    A simple straw hut, away from the main settlement, right on the beach. Just like the one she had back home..
    Along with a mistrust of dwarves, Sereia is afraid of anyone perceived as violent or dangerous (or particularly crazy.) Her greatest fear in life is probably not being able to atone for her shortcomings -- but she never has had any real idea how to go about it.
When Sereia was very young, mercenaries broke into her family home, and kidnapped her 'aunt.' When her brother went off to confront them, he was cursed by a powerful spell, and fled into the night. He did not resurface until many years later...

===Character Sheet===

STR 10
DEX 16 [15 + 1 Racial]
CON 14 [13 + 1 Racial] (save prof)
INT 08
WIS 12
CHA 16 [14 + 2 Racial] (save prof)

Alignment: Neutral-ish

HP: 9 (Hit Die [6], CON [2], Draconic Resilience [1])
AC: 16 (Draconic Resilience [13], DEX [3])

Skill Proficiencies
Class: Intimidation, Persuasion
Race: Bluff, Insight
Background: Acrobatics, Stealth

Languages
Race: Common, Elven, Dwarven
Background: Undercommon, Gnomish

Class Features
Spellcasting (CHA)
Spell slots [1]2/2
Known [2] (TBD):siren:
  • Detect Magic (ritual)
  • Shield
Cantrips [4] (TBD):siren:
  • Chill Touch
  • Ray of Frost
  • Mending
:siren: Dragon Ancestor [Silver] (I guess?)

Race Features
Fey Ancestry: Advantage on saves vs. Charm, magic can't put you to sleep
Darkvision: dim light = bright light up to 60ft, darkness = dim light
Speed: 30

:siren: NEW :siren:
Equipment Packs
Sorcerer:
  • (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon --> trade-in value of 26gp
  • (a) a component pouch or (b) an arcane focus (2 lb)
  • (a) a dungeoneer's pack or (b) an explorer's pack (weight = :effort:)
  • Two daggers (2 lb)

Hermit:
  • a scroll case stuffed full of notes from your studies or prayers (???)
  • a winter blanket (5sp/3 lb)
  • a set of common clothes (5sp/ 3lb)
  • an herbalism kit (5gp/3 lb) --> trade-in value of 5gp
  • 5gp

Gold
Sorcerer: (3d4*10*.75) = 90gp
Hermit: 5gp
Trade-ins: (26 + 5) = 31gp
-----------------------------
Total: 126gp

Purchases:
code:
Shortsword	10gp	2 lb
Shortsword	10gp	2 lb
Rapier		25gp	2 lb
Longbow		50gp	2 lb
Arrows (20)	1gp	1 lb
Quiver		1gp	1 lb
Shield		10gp	6 lb
-----------------------------
Total:		107gp	16 lb
Remainder:	19gp
*(note: I won't be carrying/using any of the above stuff until I become proficient with them i.e. if I survive until level 2 :v: for fluff purposes, it's because of wanting to leave her Paladin/adventuring past behind and/or hoping/figuring this routine checkup won't require the heavy arms; It would all probably be stored at her accommodation, as described above.)

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2016

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

P.d0t posted:

Are we doing starting gold + equipment packages? Or just the gold? I'll do equipment once I know for sure; I have a pretty good idea of the stuff I'll want.

Gold + equipment packages!

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Merritt Carlisle
LG Human Paladin (Oath of Devotion to Torm)

Merritt is a young man, barely even twenty. He never intended to become a paladin. In fact, he planned to work the lands (in a farming village not worth naming) and practice his carpentry as his parents did, and their parents before them. By all accounts, his childhood was happy. The village worked and celebrated together - Merritt held these memories fondly during his training, reminding him of why he sought the order. The village's lands were owned by a lord rarely seen by the village, until suddenly (as far as young Merritt knew, that is) the villagers could store fewer and fewer harvests, and the lord asked for more and more. The villagers grew bitter and angry. Celebrations were fewer. The children could no longer play as they once did. All their time was spent working the lands, or resting between shifts. Many people grew sick from exhaustion. More than a few took ill from overwork and were buried on the outskirts of the village. The funerals grew less personal and loving the more often they occurred. One night as the children slept, there was a knock on his door. When he answered, he was greeted by men with stony faces, torches, and all manner of weapons. Before he could utter a word, his father gently pushed past him and quietly pulled the door shut behind him. The next day, the storehouses were brimming with food - but nobody celebrated this. From then on, it seemed as if a dark secret hung over the village. The men's faces seemed drawn. All the adults seemed to bear a heavy burden on their shoulders. When the lord, or any of his men for that matter, ceased to appear to collect their portions of the harvest, Merritt knew. The lord would never come again.

For weeks, he wondered. Did it have to be this way? Why did good, honest people have to take justice into their own hands? Why did the burden of justice have to weigh so heavily on their hearts? Merritt's parents, bless them, sent him to seek guidance at a temple of Torm. With a heavy, troubled heart, he spoke with the clerics. He prayed endlessly for days blurring into weeks, desperately seeking answers. One cloudy day, praying and almost begging for guidance, he received his answer. He did not hear the voice - rather it seemed he felt it. The voice told him that he could be the one to carry out justice, and spare others from carrying its burden. He could be a force to protect the innocent from having to make the horrible choice his kin did. With a smile and a nod to himself, Merritt felt at peace. With a simple goodbye letter home, he set off on his training. Which brings us to now...

I recently completed my training and graduated squirehood - a truly wonderful day that was! My order has decided that it's time for me to serve on my own. The elder of the order received word from Peln that their caravan may be in mortal danger and asked for our help, fearing foul play. If this is the case, it is my sworn duty to bring those responsible to divine justice. I have been spending time in the town awaiting the word to depart on my investigation. I have tried to be of service to the locals however possible, mostly by guarding the temple.

Besides, Peln is far more interesting than where I grew up. At least there's a beautiful ocean nearby...

I was sent here by my order. Don't let my mandatory presence here make you question my desire - I am eager to serve and be helpful however I am able. I swore my oath to protect people such as the members of the caravan, and I intend to uphold it.

Hmm. I'll be honest, the future isn't something I had put much thought into - I felt like I would never graduate squirehood! I hope to be bringing honor to my lord Torm, and to my brothers and sisters who serve with me. I hope to continue traveling where I am needed for as long as I am able.

I have built a good friendship with Bastian, a cleric in the temple I have been guarding. The better question is what doesn't this man do? His services have been comforting to watch - even though I watch from the door. It's been inspiring to watch him speak to villagers who seek his comfort and guidance. He even puts up with my singing songs from home to pass idle time during my patrols.

Bastian has been kind enough to allow me quarter in his temple, in exchange for my guard post and the occasional night rounds.

What are you afraid of?
That bad things will happen to innocents, and I will be powerless to stop it.

When I was young, I grew up in a tiny farming village - so tiny I'm not sure we ever bothered to name it. My parents worked the land owned by a nearby lord. This lord was a greedy, selfish man. He would demand more of our crops every harvest it seemed. One night, his men broke into the village stores and just like that, months of hard work was gone. People withered and grew weak. Nobody could tend to their lands. Some even died! We tried to beg the lord for help but none came. From what I remember, somehow, a few days after the last plea had gone out we had gotten our stores back...and then some. We never heard from the lord again. I don't know how I knew, but I just knew he had somehow been killed. Should it really have been up to starving villagers to protect themselves...?

--------Character Sheet--------
STR 15 (+1)
DEX 8
CON 13 (+1)
INT 12
WIS 10
CHA 14
variant human feat: Sentinel (p.169/PHB)

HP: 11
AC: 18 (chain mail armor + shield)
Saving throw proficiencies: wisdom & charisma

Skill proficiencies
Class: Athletics, Persuasion
Race: Religion
Background: Animal Handling, Survival, woodcarver's tools, land vehicles
Languages: Common, Elvish

Equipment:
-Longsword + shield
-Dagger
-Explorer's pack: backpack, bedroll, mess kit, tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, waterskin, 50 feet of hempen rope
-chain mail + holy symbol (on his shield)
Money: 150

Class Features:
-Divine Sense
-Lay On Hands (restore a total number of HP equal to paladin levelx5)
-Spellcasting at level 2

Attacks:
Longsword: 1d8, slashing (versatile 1d10)
Dagger: 1d4, piercing

Background: Folk Hero
Defining event: My village rose up violently against a greedy lord
Feature: Rustic hospitality
Personality trait: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to help
Ideal: Nothing and no one can steer me from my higher calling
Bond: I protect those who cannot protect themselves
Flaw: I have trouble trusting in my allies

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 30, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Note that the equipment was put together based on the assumptions that a) unwanted items are sold for half price, and b) the character receives whatever money is granted by its background in addition to three-quarters of the optional starting wealth. If either one of these is not the case, I'll have to revise some stuff.

If ever I find one a decent picture of a tiefling fighter/paladin, I'll add it. But for the time being…

pre:
Name: Eucatha, Hammer of Cuthbert
Class & Level: Paladin 1
Race: Tiefling
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Background: Soldier

Height: 5’10”
Weight: 166 lb.

Base  Race  Sum  Mod   Proficient Skills
STR   15         15   +2        Athletics +4
CON   14         14   +2     Intimidation +4
DEX    8          8   -1         Medicine +3
INT   10    +1   11   +0       Persuasion +4
WIS   12         12   +1
CHA   13    +2   15   +2     Saves: WIS, CHA
                                Speed: 30 ft
Init: -1   HD: 1d10    Proficiency bonus: +2       
  AC: 17     HP: 12   Passive Perception: 11

Racial features
Languages: Common, Infernal
Ability score increases: +2 Charisma, +1 Intelligence
Darkvision: Eucatha can see in dim light within 60 feet as if it were bright light, and in
  darkness as if it were dim light. She cannot discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey.
Hellish Resistance: Eucatha has resistance to fire damage.
Infernal Legacy: Eucatha knows the thaumaturgy cantrip.

Background benefits
Feature – Military Rank: Eucatha used to hold the rank of sergeant in the Grey Blades.
  Soldiers loyal to her former company still recognize her authority and influence, and they
  defer to her if they are of a lower rank. She can invoke her rank to exert influence over other
  soldiers and requisition simple equipment or horses for temporary use. She can also usually gain
  access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where her rank is recognized.
Skill proficiencies: Athletics, Intimidation
Tool proficiencies: Dragonchess set, vehicles (land)

Class features and proficiencies
Divine Sense: As an action, Eucatha can open her awareness to the presence of good and evil,
  and until the end of her next turn knows the location and type of any celestial, fiend, or undead
  within 60 feet of her that isn’t behind total cover. She also detects the presence of any
  consecrated or desecrated object or place within 60 feet, as with the hallow spell. She can
  use this feature a number of times equal to her CHA modifier, and regains all expended uses when
  finishing a long rest.
Lay on Hands: Eucatha possesses a pool of healing power that can restore a total number of
  hit points equal to her paladin level times 5. As an action, she can touch a creature and draw
  power from the pool to restore a number of hit points to that creature up to the maximum amount
  remaining in her pool. She can also expend 5 hit points from the pool of healing to cure the
  target of one disease or neutralise one poison afflicting it.

Armour: All armour, shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, martial weapons
Tools:Skill proficiencies: Choose two from Athletics, Insight, Intimidation, Medicine, Persuasion, and Religion

Attacks
 Melee: Maul (+4 to hit, 2d6+2 bludgeoning)
        Javelin (+4 to hit, 1d6+2 piercing)
Ranged: Javelin (thrown 30/120ft; +4 to hit, 1d6+2 piercing)

Equipment]
                      WEIGHT
Splint mail            60 lb          
Maul                   10 lb
Holy symbol                —
  (emblem on armour)
Javelin (x5)           10 lb
Belt pouch              1 lb
Backpack                5 lb		
  Bedroll               7 lb		
  Mess kit              1 lb
  Tinderbox             1 lb
  Rations (12 days)    24 lb
  Waterskin             5 lb
  Hempen rope (50’)    10 lb
  Hempen rope (20')     4 lb
  Dragonchess set       1 lb
  Set of common clothes 4 lb
  Grey Blades sergeant     —
    insignia
  Trophy (broken ritual    –
    dagger of the Spiral
    Horn Cabal)
  Manacles              6 lb
  Hooded lantern        2 lb
  Flask of oil (x2)     2 lb

Money: 37gp, 0sp, 0cp
Weight: 155/225 lbs
Backstory
Eucatha grew up in Nolvin, living a life not markedly different from that of many other tieflings: ever teetering on the edge of poverty, mistrusted and feared by almost everybody around her, all too frequently the victim of cruel jokes, insults, and worse. The one genuine bright spot in her life, one that she wouldn’t truly appreciate until it was too late, was that she grew up with a friend, a half-elven boy named Rogal who was almost unique in treating Eucatha as a person, rather than as some gods-cursed creature that nobody in their right mind would voluntarily associate with.

Years later, Eucatha was a recruit of the city guard mere months from being formally inducted when Rogal was found murdered. An investigation was conducted, but no motive, no witnesses, no suspects were found. By all accounts the young half-elf, on the verge of taking over the family business, had simply had his throat slit for no reason at all and left to die in the alleyway behind his father’s alchemy shop. Already devastated by her friend’s death, Eucatha soon became aware of the rumours saying that she had killed him, begrudging him his popularity and success in life, and used her infernal powers to destroy any evidence. No charges could be brought against her, but she realised at last that there was no future for her in Nolvin – not with all the gossip painting her as a murderer, not with the few pleasant memories of her life there now tainted by the death of her friend.

The tiefling was on the verge of pillaging the city guard’s armoury and leaving behind the city she’d come to hate, but a chance encounter with a priest of Saint Cuthbert did something to change Eucatha, who had always held the gods in low regard. This priest saw the grief in her, the anger at the injustices she had suffered all her life, the deeply felt desire to avenge herself on whoever had murdered Rogal. They spoke for hours in Saint Cuthbert’s austere temple, spoke with a kind of honesty Eucatha had barely even managed to muster toward Rogal at the best of times – and by the time dawn began to light the far horizon, the tiefling’s outlook on life was no longer the same.

It hadn’t changed enough to make her stay in Nolvin, however. Effecting a discharge from the city guard proved easy enough; the rumours of the murder Eucatha had supposedly committed clung to her like a stench, and her superiors required very little convincing that the guard would overall be better off without her as a member. Instead, permitted by the city guard’s master-at-arms to keep her training sword in recognition of the martial skill she’d shown, Eucatha struck out into Pel on her own, supplied by the priest of Saint Cuthbert with a week’s worth of supplies and a sacred prescript: avenge those who cannot avenge themselves. Bring to justice all who defy and break the law. Draw on your anger at the injustices that have marked your own life, and use it to protect others from suffering a similar fate…or bring terrible retribution to bear on their malefactors if it is too late to save them.

Eucatha’s time spent wandering Pel, the hardships she suffered and the challenges she faced, did not turn her into a singularly devout follower of Saint Cuthbert as one might expect. Life as a tiefling had imbued her with a certain cynical mistrust of the gods, which she felt was too fundamental a part of who she was to be capable of truly changing. But she did observe her god’s tenets to the letter, even if she intuitively felt them more than she could flawlessly recite them on the spot…and that, it seemed, sufficed for Him of the Cudgel. Wherever her travels took her, with blade and words alike serving as weapons, Eucatha became a deliverer of retribution, her martial prowess and raw force of personality melding with a grim, divine intensity to make her something more than a wandering warrior, more than a reviled tiefling. Though she herself would’ve been the last person to acknowledge this, Eucatha had been shaped into a mortal agent and executor of her god’s will – a paladin of Saint Cuthbert.

A paladin’s services always are in demand, but Eucatha was selective about whom she worked for. As the months turned into years, she spent much of her time investigating and righting such injustices as she learnt about, either from the common people or other followers of Saint Cuthbert, though occasionally she also hired herself out as a guard or a sellsword. At some point she crossed paths with, and ended up joining, the Grey Blades, a small mercenary company whose modus operandi – honourable comportment, a deep reverence for the law, and utter intrepidity in battle – aligned well with her own beliefs. The Grey Blades, for their part, were unperturbed by Eucatha’s tiefling heritage: they cared only that she was a skilled, fierce warrior, and one sworn to the god of retribution at that. For the first time in her life, the paladin felt truly at home, living among men and women who respected her for what she did and believed in, and fighting alongside them for righteous causes. Even her anger and grief at what had happened in Nolvin subsided during that time, only emerging from the depths of her soul in the very darkest of hours.

And yet Eucatha’s tenure among the Grey Blades was not to last. The company slowly grew, but at the same time a subtle change took place in its leadership that saw its ideals gradually fall by the wayside. By the time the tiefling realised that the recently elected leader of the Grey Blades, a human known as Magnus Blackwheel, actually was a cleric of Hextor, many of the company’s veterans had already parted ways with it. She fruitlessly attempted to convince her fellow Blades that this man would ruin everything the company stood for, but her impassioned words fell on deaf ears; and after putting one of Blackwheel’s eyes when he attacked her, Eucatha barely managed to escape with her life.

Part of the tiefling wished she had fallen there and then, perhaps taking Blackwheel with her – but she knew well enough, even at the time, that it had been a fight she could not have won, that it would’ve meant nothing but a senseless death for her. Accepting this was a different matter entirely, of course, and the tiefling’s confidence and faith were badly shaken as a result. She decided then to travel to Pern, a secluded settlement she had been to a few times in the past and found agreeable; for someone who had recently lost her way and now found herself questioning her purpose in life anew, it seemed the ideal place to go.

Questionnaire
You have been in Pern for at least 3 weeks at this point; why are you in a backwater village like Pern? Eucatha is in Pern precisely because it’s a backwater: a place where virtually no one knows her, a sleepy little village whose peace and quiet allow her to search her soul and recuperate from her recent ordeal. She has no intentions of staying there forever, but at the same time she’s not overly eager to strike out into the world again either, especially not on her own.

How and why did you end up on this search party? Eucatha has worked as a guard on the caravan route from Pern to Dinar before. As far as she knows this particular route has never been particularly troublesome, so she is genuinely curious what could have happened to the missing caravan – but on a twisted, largely subconscious level, the tiefling blames herself for its fate, fearing that the caravan would’ve made it to its destination safe and sound but for her absence. Answering the mayor’s call, then, took surprisingly little consideration: quite apart from (hopefully) locating and recovering the missing caravan, Eucatha also feels a tiny but lingering need to do something – and despite any misgivings she may have about herself, she cannot idly sit by while lives quite possibly are in danger.

What are your overarcing goals (Think 2-year-plan)? Having found herself adrift again, Eucatha is ever so slowly building up the courage to return to Nolvin, hoping that by the grace of Saint Cuthbert she will, somehow, be able to find out why and by whose hand her friend Rogal died all those years ago, and finally avenge him. A part of her also longs to confront Magnus Blackwheel again and cleanse the Grey Blades of his evil influence, but she is painfully aware that she is nowhere near ready to challenge him again – that taking on the Grey Blades might well be forever beyond her reach. All the same, she finds herself incapable of abandoning the thought and will, at the very least, attempt to keep an eye on the activities of her former mercenary company, and make a move of some sort if the opportunity arises.

Who is someone you know in town, and how do you know them? What do they do in town? Pern’s blacksmith, Ingerid the Short, is a former Grey Blade who left the company after one of her legs was crippled in battle. She and Eucatha were good friends, and though Ingerid left the Blades long before they lost their way, the two of them have only grown closer thanks to their mutual despondency over the fate of the company that once was, for all intents and purposes, their family and home.

What are your living arrangements in Pern? A plain cot in a corner of Ingerid’s tool shed is the extent to which Eucatha will impose on her friend’s hospitality. She earns her keep by helping out the blacksmith or one of the local fishers, though she’s hardly a natural at either of their professions. It all makes for a rather meagre existence, but as someone who has never lived in luxury Eucatha actually finds this strangely comforting, in a way.

What are you afraid of? Though she barely even admits this to herself, the thing that Eucatha fears most is losing her way – to find herself without the guiding light of her god or else to give in to the bitterness of her emotions, and thereby again becoming the creature filled with aimless anger she’d used to be for so long. She has, after all, come uncomfortably close to this fate in the past when in the lowest of spirits, and she isn’t sure whether she’d have the strength to claw her way toward the light a second time.

What is something bad that happened to you in the past that is memorable? Storming the ruins of an ancient keep occupied by a cabal of homicidal warlocks, Eucatha fell prey to a trapped portcullis that skewered her tail. The Grey Blades who had preceded her were there to defend and tend to the tiefling, luckily, but in the end the appendage had to be amputated in the field. Jests about, for instance, the inadvisability of letting Eucatha form the tail end of any future squads ensued; she took them in her stride, to the extent that she ever showed a sense of humour in the first place, but deep down she wishes she still were whole, as much as she otherwise disdains her tiefling nature.

Personality and appearance
Eucatha has never been an especially cheerful, animated person. Though she can be pleasant (or intimidating) enough if she needs to be, Eucatha usually is slow to smile or warm up to other people, having found that remaining at a certain emotional distance from others makes life easier for her overall and keeps her judgement from becoming clouded by personal attachments. On the other hand, the tiefling is trustworthy and principled to a fault; when she makes a promise she keeps it, and though she doesn’t enjoy fighting she none the less approaches it with a cold, focused wrath that behoves a paladin of the god of retribution. And, in spite of her somewhat cynical self, she does have a bit of a soft spot for any person who reminds her of what she used to be – the downtrodden and ostracised are not unlikely to be granted reprieves the paladin would not grant anybody else.

Of slightly above average height and sturdy in build, it is essentially impossible to mistake Eucatha for anything other than a tiefling: her skin is the colour of smouldering ashes; her hair, which she tends to keep fairly short, is a deep midnight blue; and her ever-narrowed eyes are solid silver set in a stern, sharp-featured face. Her horns sweep back from her forehead and curl around her ears, their tips roughly level with her cheeks. Eucatha’s tail, on the other hand, is a mere stump less than a foot in length, thanks to an unfortunate accident years ago. It is the one thing she is somewhat self-conscious about.

The tiefling is usually seen wearing her suit of splint mail, its only noteworthy feature the fact that it is emblazoned with the starburst symbol of her god. She keeps the armour in flawless repair, though it is rarely ever polished to a sheen – to Eucatha appearances matter much less than deeds, a view usually shared by the more martial-minded followers of Saint Cuthbert. When not in armour she prefers plain, practical clothing in unobtrusive hues; the tiefling never had any great love for ostentatiousness, finding it difficult enough to blend in on account of her infernal heritage without dressing flamboyantly or otherwise drawing attention to herself.

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 12, 2016

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Note that the equipment was put together based on the assumptions that a) unwanted items are sold for half price, and b) the character receives whatever money is granted by its background in addition to three-quarters of the optional starting wealth. If either one of these is not the case, I'll have to revise some stuff.

A) On creation, you trade in unwanted gear for full price. This goes for all of you, of course.

B) This is correct.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Withdrawing.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2016

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Ham Pants posted:

A) On creation, you trade in unwanted gear for full price. This goes for all of you, of course.

B) This is correct.
Good to know! I've tinkered with Eucatha's gear a bit in light of this and made a couple of other changes, but the sheet is pretty much finished otherwise now unless somebody happens to spy a mistake. (Edit: OK, now I think I'm done with it. :shobon:)

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 26, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
Busy week ahead; found out about a birthday party last minute, and etc. So might not be able to finish off the equipment til sunday afternoon/Monday daytime. But the meat of my character is there, so :shrug:

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

P.d0t posted:

Busy week ahead; found out about a birthday party last minute, and etc. So might not be able to finish off the equipment til sunday afternoon/Monday daytime. But the meat of my character is there, so :shrug:

No worries - if you get it up for Monday, it's still good. It'll take a few days to sort through all the characters anyways. :)

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Thündùr Ündùr

Story and Questions
Thündùr Ündùr used to be a pirate, until mother nature decided otherwise. His ship was lost in a storm, and he found himself washed ashore in Buzzard Bay about a month ago. He made his way inland, and found the village of Pern. Since then he's been doing his best to get himself back on his feet economically.

Why: When a caravan goes missing, a man like Thündùr Ündùr knows what to do: find it. If he rescues it for the town he'll be a local hero, buying him some goodwill if and when anyone comes looking for him intent to settle a score. If he decides to help himself to some of the contents, who would be the wiser? And if he decides to steal it and sell it to someone else in order to keep all the money for himself? That's fine too. In any case, he comes out ahead. That said, it wouldn't entirely surprise him if another surviving member of his crew, or perhaps a few of them, are behind the disappearance of the caravan. If that's the case he'd like to meet up with them.

How: At first glance he seems an unlikely candidate for expeditionary work. A known vagrant, at least a hundred pounds overweight (definitely more than that), probably diabetic. However, those most in need are willing to work for the least compensation, so his labor comes cheap. It helps that he has decent job interview skills: he's a great shot with a bow, and knows more than a little about tracking in the wild. If the caravan went off course, he should be able to find them, or at least wherever their pack animals went. And if they met an untimely end, he should be able to help put down whatever force did the deed. More importantly, in the eyes of the mayor, if a homeless vagrant ends up dead trying to recover a valuable member of the community and their commodities ...is that really a bad thing? For the town, that is.

Thündùr Ündùr is a little less than impressed that his ship was lost at sea. Without the tools necessary to be a proper pirate, he can not be his true self. As a result, he needs to scrape up the money to purchase a new ship, or find someone who has one ...and then take it from them. He also fears that all of his crew have been lost at sea, and if so he will need to assemble a new one. He is also somewhat interested in learning how to swim, given how important that apparently can be. Finally, he would like to learn how to breathe water, though he understands this is the realm of things such as a wizard.

Thündùr Ündùr knows the oldest fisherman in town. They sailed together as pirates when he was much younger. Not exactly a mentor, but his old seamate has since retired from the pirate life, happens to have settled in Pern, and now works as master of what passes for the harbor in town. He's mostly law-abiding nowadays, though he occasionally helps local brigands smuggle things in and out of the city through the port, for the right price.

Rodney 'Riot' Remington > Retired Pirate > Harbormaster of Pern
"Huh? You want to know about that guy who lives in a wagon down by the river? Yeah, I know 'im. How? None of yer fuckin' business, that's how. His name's Thündùr. Nice guy, hard worker. He's fallen on hard times, you can relate, right? Look, it's my harbor and so by extension it's my river. If you've got a problem with him living under that bridge you take it up with me. It's the least I can do for the guy. Literally."

Thündùr Ündùr is literally a hobo. He lives in a broken wagon under a bridge down by the river. Proficiency in the Survival skill lets you live at the equivalent of a comfortable lifestyle.

Drowning.

Drowning.

pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Thündùr Ündùr					Alignment:	Chaotic Neutral
Race:		Human						Background:	Pirate
Class:		Ranger (1)					Size:		Medium (ish)

STR		12 (+1)	[12 base]		[4]		INT		10 (--)	[10 base]		[2]
DEX		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]	[9]		WIS		14 (+2)	[13 base + 1 racial]	[5]
CON		14 (+2)	[14 base]		[7]		CHA		 8 (-1)	[ 8 base]		[0]

HP		12 / 12	[10 ranger + 2 ability]			AC		18	[ 2 ability + 2 shield + 14 armor]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]				Initiative	+3	[ 3 ability]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special abilities:
   Race:	Human
		• Sharpshooter (bonus feat)
		  • Attacking at long range doesn't impose disadvantage on your ranged weapon attack rolls.
		  • Your ranged weapon attacks ignore half cover and three-quarters cover.
		  • You gain +10 to ranged weapon attack damage, and -5 to ranged weapon attack rolls.

Background:	Pirate
		• Bad reputation
		  • No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to your reputation.
		  • When you are in a civilized settlement, you can get away with minor criminal offenses, such as refusing to
		    pay for food at a tavern or breaking down doors at a local shop, since most people will not report your
		    activity to the authorities.

Class:	Ranger (Lv. 1)
		• Favored enemy (beasts)
		  • You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence
		    checks to recall information about them.  When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your
		    choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all.

• Natural explorer (coast)
		  • When you make an intelligence or wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency
		    bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you’re proficient in.
		  • While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:
		    • Difficult terrain doesn’t slow your group’s travel.
		    • Your group can’t become lost except by magical means.
		    • Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling, you remain alert to danger.
		    • If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
		    • When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
		    • While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long
		      ago they passed through the area.
Proficiencies:

Skills:
Athletics		+ 1		---		STR	[0 proficiency + 1 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 5		Background	DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 5		Background	DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Stealth			+ 5		Ranger		DEX	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (history)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (investigation)	---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (nature)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (religion)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Animal handling		+ 2		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Insight			+ 2		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Medicine		+ 4		Human		WIS	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Perception		+ 4		Ranger		WIS	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Survival		+ 4		Ranger		WIS	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Deception		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Intimidation		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Performance		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Persuasion		- 1		---		CHA	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]

Equipment:
Arms			Simple / Martial			[Ranger]
Armor			Light / Medium / Shield			[Ranger]
Tools			Navigator's tools			[Background]
Vehicles		Water (ships)				[Background]

Languages:		Common / Undercommon			[Human]
			Giant Eagle				[Ranger]

Saves:
Strength		+ 3		Ranger			[2 proficiency + 1 ability]
Dexterity		+ 5		Ranger			[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Constitution		+ 2		---			[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Intelligence		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Wisdom			+ 2		---			[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Charisma		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
This inventory is a bit of a work in process, but has the key pieces so far:
pre:
> Starting Equipment: Ranger
• (a) scale mail			Kept
• (a) two shortswords			Sold		 +10    gp
• (a) a dungeoneer’s pack		Kept
• A longbow				Kept
• a quiver of 20 arrows			Kept

> Starting Equipment: Pirate
• A belaying pin (club)			Sold		 +  .05 gp
• 50 feet of silk rope			Sold		 + 5    gp
• a set of common clothes		Sold		 +  .25 gp
• a belt pouch  containing 10gp		Kept		 +10    gp
• a trinket				Kept

> Starting Gold: Ranger
• 5d4*10 maximum = 200gp * .75 =	Kept		+150    gp
							----------
Available funds						175.30  gp

Inventory
Arms
Longbow					(  ---   gp)		  2    lbs.
 > Quiver				(  ---   gp)		  1    lbs.
   > Arrows			[x20]	(  ---   gp)		  1    lbs.
   > Arrows			[x100]	(    5   gp)		  5    lbs.
Sling					(    .1  gp)		 --    lbs.
Backpack				(    2   gp)		  5    lbs.
 > Net				[x10]	(   10   gp)		 30    lbs.
 > Ball bearings (bag of 1,000)	[x15]	(   15   gp)		 30    lbs.
 > Caltrops (bag of 20)		[x15]	(   15   gp)		 30    lbs.

Armor and clothing
Scale mail				(  ---   gp)		 45    lbs.		14 AC + 2 DEX
Shield					(   10   gp)		  6    lbs.		+2 AC
Clothes (traveler's)			(    2   gp)		  4    lbs.
 > Sling			[x 2]	(    .2  gp)		 --    lbs.		One in each sock.
Holy symbol (amulet)			(    5   gp)		  1    lbs.
					-----------		----------
					(   68.3 gp)		170    lbs.
					-----------		----------
Wagon Down By The River
Wagon					(   35   gp)		 400   lbs.
 > Chest (wooden)			(    5   gp)		  25   lbs.
   > Flour (one pound)		[x300]	(    6   gp)		 300   lbs.
 > Barrel (wooden, extra large)		(    4   gp)		 140   lbs.
   > Bedroll				(    1   gp)		   7   lbs.
   > Blanket				(    0.5 gp)		   3   lbs.
   > Mess kit				(    0.2 gp)		   1   lbs.
					-----------		----------
					(   51.7 gp)		876    lbs.
					-----------		----------
Remaining Funds				    55.3 gp
					-----------

To Allocate / Consider
• (a) a dungeoneer’s pack
• a belt pouch
• a trinket
Sling bullets (20) 4 cp 1 1/2 lb.
Block and tackle 1 gp 5 lb.
Chalk (1 piece) 1 cp —
Crowbar 2 gp 5 lb.
Fishing tackle 1 gp 4 lb.
Grappling hook 2 gp 4 lb.
Lantern, bullseye 10 gp 2 lb.
Oil (flask) 1 sp 1 lb.
Pouch 5 sp 1 lb.
Rope, hempen (50 feet) 1 gp 10 lb.
Shovel 2 gp 5 lb.
Soap 2 cp —
Tinderbox 5 sp 1 lb.

Horse, riding 75 gp 60 ft. 480 lb.
Bit and bridle 2 gp 1 lb.
Riding 10 gp 25 lb.
Saddlebags 4 gp 8 lb.
:siren:Questions
1> I don't suppose you can be convinced to let statistics be point-buy? Not really a big deal but the 12/10/8 is a bit less appealing for an array of skills I will likely never bother to roll, and wisdom is a bit key to ranger life. Would probably be looking at 15/15/14/10/8/8 [being 9+9+7+2+0+0=27 points].

2> Longer-term, I am probably more interested in taking the spelless ranger variant archetype. Any thoughts as to if this is feasible? I can live with stock ranger if you'd prefer not to let it be modified though, also not a huge deal.
edit: Just reading through the thread in full now, looks like you already gave the okay to spell-less ranger. If that's still where your head is at that's perfect for me.

Waador fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 30, 2016

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

P.d0t posted:

Sereia Arlingfeld

Updated/finished this app.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Clarissa Moran, Aasimar Cleric of Torm

Look, if it takes you more than a minute to crush a bad guy's skull in, you aren't PRAISING TORM loudly enough.

Clarissa Moran is an archetypal War God's cleric. She likes to Praise Torm and Smite the Wicked, preferably at the same time. She's also the archetypal Aasimar, that is, annoyingly perfect without even trying that hard. She's definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer though. Thinking through your problems is for people who don't have a warhammer and divine fiat to solve their problems through violence.

The Temple calls it "missionary work", Clarissa calls it ridiculous busywork beneath her abilities. Sure, she fixes a lot of broken bones, but she should be scattering gangs of villains, not helping maintain some derelict church in the world's most boring fishing village!

The instant someone suggested that there was a possibility she could Praise Torm and Kill Bandits at the same time, Clarissa volunteered. Oh, and I guess the villagers will starve, or something.

Praise Torm, Smite the Wicked, and Get Famous. Not necessarily in that order, or even at different times. Nobody said you had to be a complicated person to be awesome.

About the only interesting person in town is Friar Bill, the scarred old temple priest maintaning what is probably the world's smallest place of worship. He's a fountain of amazing stories of exciting battles, as well as ignored advice about the joys of a simple life. Boring! Simple lives are for normal people!

Clarissa sleeps on a cot in the temple's extremely dusty novice room. Not quarters, room.

Being forgotten.

So, you may have noticed a little bit of bandit-centric outlook here. Yes, even mighty clerics of Torm were little kids once, and yes, their family's nice carriage can be attacked, and most of the people they know killed right in front of them, and not even for much money. So now, there's cleric of Torm who really likes to kill bandits.

pre:
Cleric 1
--------------
Str: 13 (+1)
Dex: 10 (+0)
Con: 12 (+1)
Int: 8  (-1)
Wis: 16 (+3)
Cha: 16 (+3)

HP: 9
AC: 18 (Chain mail, Shield)

Resist: Radiant, Necrotic

Background: Noble

Proficiencies:
	Proficiency Bonus: +2
	All armor, Shields, Simple and Martial Weapons
	Saves: Wis & Cha
	Tools: Dice Set (gaming)
        Skills:
		Medicine	+5
		Persuasion	+5
		History		+1
		Insight		+5
	Laguages: 
		Common
		Celestial
		Infernal

Equipment:
	Chainmail, Shield, Warhammer, Lt Xbow
	Holy Symbol, Priest's Pack, A dice set

Attacks:
	Warhammer, 	+3 Hit, 1d8+1
	Lt Xbow,	+1 Hit, 1d8 	

Class Stuff:
	War Priest: When attacking, make one additional weapon attack, three times per long rest.

Cleric Spells:
	Save DC: 13 (Wis)
	Slots:	Lvl 1

Prepared Spells	
		Cantrips:
		        Light (Aasimar)
			Sacred Flame
			Thaumaturgy
			Spare the Dying
		Level 1:
			Bless
			Cure Wounds
			Guiding Bolt
			Purify Food and Drink
			Divine Favor (domain)
			Shield of Faith (domain)
Backstory hooks:
The Morans were very wealthy. Someone hired those bandits to kill off Clarissa's family, but she doesnt know who.

The church of Torm is running into a lot of trouble in this region. Much more than it should. There's a reason a fighting cleric is here, but maybe they should have sent someone a little bit smarter?

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 31, 2016

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Beefed up my character a little and fixed a couple sections - hopefully I got it done in time!

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 30, 2016

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Spiteski posted:

my application

Done now. Hope it's not too late.

Spiteski fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 30, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Similarly I have edited in a more formal sheet and some additional details into my previous post. Inventory still needs a few final tweaks before starting but mostly related to what is in my wagon down by the river.

Ham Pants
Apr 22, 2008

Wiegieman, what's Clarissa's alignment?

Spiteski posted:

Done now. Hope it's not too late.

Not too late. In fact, I'm going to leave it open all day tomorrow too. Then I'll spend Tuesday and Wednesday sorting through the applications. You can expect the thread on Thursday evening, and I'll post the link in here.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ham Pants posted:

Wiegieman, what's Clarissa's alignment?

NG. Sorry, went all on in Torm and forgot all about it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
made the customary app spreadsheet
Feel free to comment-in anything I missed.

Slydingdoor - couldn't find a feat on your sheet
wiegieman - couldn't find your Background and/or related tool profs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Out of curiosity, how large is this expeditionary force being sent by the mayor? Just trying to contextualize that into my backstory question of how/why I am part of it. Is the search party just the five players, or are there other townsfolk involved as well?

For my own part I think the main selling point I bring to the table is favored enemy (beasts) for advantage on survival checks to actually track their course, assuming the caravan had horses or other beasts of burden (which I sort of assume is the case?), as well as a willingness to do the job for literally pennies on the dollar. If it's a small enough search party he also has survival proficiency to help ensure we don't die of exposure and/or hunger and/or thirst and/or dysentery in case our supplies run into trouble, though that is less relevant if it's a group of 10 townsfolk alongside the PC's.

• Locked thread