Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've finally gotten into this game and I am pretty terrible at it. Maybe because I'm :corsair: or something. I like playing Junk rat and Mercy so far.

How exactly does it determine the play of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm one of those players that's kind of terrible but listens to constructive feedback, and I find it helps me improve tremendously and enjoy the game more. Kind of wish there was more of that feedback in quick play.

Today I got play of the game as s76 by using tactical visor in the control point during overtime, and got a penta kill by mag dumping all five opponents. That definitely felt good. :toot:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Rheinhart should get a Michael Oher skin.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dumb newbie questions:

-How much damage do melee attacks actually do? I read that you probably want to mash the melee button if relatively close anyway. Does the damage vary according to character? I assume it would, given some of the characters have noodly girl arms and some have massive arms slamming down choppy hook/hammer/claw stuff.

-How do I get better at not getting shot in the back of the head? The voice prompts definitely help ("Turn around retard!" basically) but watching the kill videos I'm frustrated to find I'm making myself an easy target, always getting jumped from an unpredictable angle and by the time I realize who/where it is coming from I am already dead.

-What mode is the best to practice with new characters? I take it Skirmishing was meant for you to play around with unfamiliar characters, and there's always vs AI mode....I almost wish they included a training mode for each class that helped new people familiarize themselves with that character's mechanics (sort of like the 'training mode' in SC2 that helped you learn how to micro in different situations).

-Will Reinhart keep pushing an enemy with his charge till he hits a wall? He should get some bonus for doing it particularly long distances because I've been the victim of this and its pretty funny.

-What to do in Hanamura when the defenders turtle behind that gate? Bastions and their ilk can basically stuff up every attack because the gate is a pretty good choke point (I got PotG as Basition doing this as defender, and got similarly screwed when my team was attacking in another match)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kai Tave posted:

e;^^^You already gain no rank or XP from doing custom games as it stands, so the only thing you could really accomplish in this instance is grinding cheevos which lol who cares

All melee attacks do 30 damage regardless of the hero doing them. In general melee is useful as a last bit of damage right after you've emptied your ammo into a hard moving target if you think that last little bit of damage can secure you a kill, and in certain other contexts (meleeing right after ramming someone as D.Va turns into a quick 80 damage combo), but otherwise you're almost always better off just using your weapon. On the other hand the melee hitbox is incredibly generous so if you're being bunnyhopped around by someone who's bad at shooting you in turn, meleeing them to death can be funny.

One thing to do is to listen for footsteps and weapon fire that don't belong to anyone on your team. If you hear clunky boots and a steady PAFF PAFF PAFF then there's a Reaper nearby. But the bigger part of this is simply playing the game enough to become familiar with common areas that flankers and ambushers like to hit you from and developing an awareness for that sort of thing. "Oh, here's where people like to drop down behind the payload, here's that flanker alleyway I got ambushed from last time." A good way to familiarize yourself with these approaches is to play a character that makes use of them.

The basic practice range is good for getting familiar with a character's kit and practicing your accuracy, though it definitely lacks any robust features. Playing against the AI is...iffy. You can set up like a six bot custom game where everyone is Ana (who can't headshot) and make it headshots only to practice your headshots against livelier targets, but in general the best way to practice with new characters is just to do quickplay, ideally with a pal or three.

There's a maximum distance on Rein's charge and if you don't crush an enemy by the time you reach that point they escape unscathed, though on some maps you can time it just right so you charge someone off a cliff without going over yourself. As a Rein you actually want to avoid those really long charges because it puts you way out of position of the rest of your team, who no longer have one of their tanks to help, well, tank.

Hanamura is honestly pretty unfun in a lot of peoples' opinions because the first choke is very much "you either steamroll it or it's a meatgrinder." There is that one little flanking path using the upper left window to consider and a fair number of characters have the mobility to go for it. A coordinated push through that level can pull defenders back from the main gate to deal with it, making it easier for anyone still going through the main gate to push through. Tanks like Reinhardt and D.Va can soak a Bastion's fire long enough for another hero to kill him, Junkrat can bounce grenades to hit one turtled up in cover, there are a number of ways to break through that sort of defense, it's just that they require A). practice and B). a reasonably coordinated team.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep practicing, I guess.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I try not to attribute stuff to cheating, mainly because it discourages me from working to get better if I really believe I had no chance.

From a relative newb I think the game can get frustrating if you die from some one-in-a-million shot or something; last night I got headshot by Black Widow when she aimed between what seemed like a 1 pixel wide gap and pegged me at just the right time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does Lucio's ult stack with other HP-boosting ults? Because it would be pretty fun to coordinate Trobjorns or Winston's ult with it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Went 3-6-1 and got Gold, did I git gud? I'm not sure. One of those losses was some weird disconnect, which was too bad because up to that point I was alternating wins and losses and was at least hoping to bust my rear end up to being 5-5. Currently at 2145.

Just last game the only audible guy on mic is sperging out about team comps, accusing all of us of trolling him and giving the other team a free win. And of course we come back with two massive upsets to the opponents which makes him look like a huge whiny baby the whole time.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've gradually gotten better at D.Va after learning a few tricks from other players.

She doesn't have to reload which is nice because close up you can just mash down LMB and spray away. Her dash shoves enemies around and is a great setup for her ult.

I also learned you can trigger your ult in the split second before you eject out of your destroyed mech, which leads to quite a few surprise kills. But you gotta be careful where you hop in a fresh mech because it appears that all those frames of animation where the mech teleports to your position you are still obviously 'zero suit' D.Va; I've gotten killed many times when an enemy hit me in what must've been the very last frame of the animation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dumb question: Is there any significance to rating a match or voting on a player for doing particularly notable (most eliminations, healing, etc)? Also in one of my games someone got a whopping 10 votes which apparently is a higher tier of reward or something?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some Tracer was getting pretty salty we didn't vote for her, which made me wonder if there had been a reward people were trying to get.

I also don't know why sometimes there's only 3 cards and other times there's like 5.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've heard Mercy's damage boost affects all the buffed characters projectiles in flight at the time the buff gets applied, meaning in theory she could buff Phara right before her missile barrage hits the ground or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like playing Junkrat on Ilios as there are several sweet spots where you can just spam grenades right into the opponent's approach.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Toadsmash posted:

Reaper, 76, and Winston are all super easy heroes to pick up that are useful in a wide range of situations if you're looking for somewhere to start expanding your repertoire. Mercy is more popular among newer players, but I think Lucio is actually more forgiving for inexperienced players, especially if you solo queue a lot -- his speed aura lets him do a better job of getting out of trouble without counting on your teammates to bail you out. Mercy HAS good escape options, but they're somewhat reliant on a team that knows how to work with her.

Lucio is very easy for beginners to pick up and, like Junkrat, can zone people out to an extent even if your aim isn't very good just by spamming down a path. He's also got very obvious avenues of improvement once you've got the basics down -- unlike Mercy, using his ult effectively at all requires quite a bit of gamesense, the ability to pay a lot of attention to what's going on around you. You'll start seeing immediate and massive dividends with his ult when you start paying attention to things like enemy ult timings, and just in general anticipating when a huge fight is about to break out.

You know, I think I need to start playing Lucio more. For some reason I thought he'd be harder to figure out, but his primary utility is just being a healing/speed aura right? Seems pretty straightforward.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Last four consecutive games have had leavers and afkers in competitive mode, and caused my rating score to drop by almost a thousand points :qq:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So it says I need 6,000 participation points to get (golden gun? Some reward?). So far I only have 153 :stonk: How long is this going to take?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I see a lot of Korean players spamming this Korean character that kind of looks like this (=|) but more like a backwards stretched out F. What's it mean? Is it just supposed to be an emote in Korean script or what?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FrostyPox posted:

It's the korean character that represents a"k" sound, so it's "kkkkkkkkkkk" which is the Korean version of "hahaha hahaha"

Thanks.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As I do progressively worse my allies get progressively more Korean. Voice channel is full of people yammering in Korean and I can't understand any of them :mad:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Me and an enemy D.va managed to get in some retarded duel where each of us could do enough to force the other to eject but not finish off the meaty part. This somehow happened three times in a row in the same cramped hallway without either of us dying until I finally managed to bludgeon the other zero suit D.va to death with my mech. Welcome to silver rank!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm getting really goddamned sick of leavers in competitive mode. The previous 5 games I lost had at least one leaver, and just recently we had THREE people leave halfway into it. It seems like there's not enough steps taken to protect the players that are actually willing to stick around. Yes, I get that sometimes people get power outages/internet issues and stuff, but I wish something more can be done. At least in quickmatches you can have somebody fill in.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tsietisin posted:

Leaves during your placement matches is annoying. I went 2-8 with several of those being from people leaving, even when we were winning.

Seeing rank loss from leavers is disheartening. It would be nice top know that the loss is minimized I'd there are leavers on your team.

I think the tricky thing for Blizzard is finding a way to be fair to people who don't quit while not being exploitable.

If rank loss was minimized with leavers, then people would have a rotating volunteer quit to preserve the rest of the group's ranking on an imminent loss.

Personally, I'd go the opposite direction; a bonus modifier to your rank and exp for every consecutive game you DONT quit out of, and win. This would continue to accumulate until you drop out/quit out of a match.

Alternatively, let people on their friends list fill in for leavers so long as they'd get matched up with the opponents anyway; have the fill in guy get lots of bonus exp (more than a fill in for a quickmatch) but not affect his rank. If you have buddies waiting in queue they could then hop in to help your team out.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
All of bastions voice macros are just beep beep boop variations.

Who gets potg with Ana or Symmetra enough for their other dynamic poses to be relevant?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Losing close matches teaches me more than getting shutout. Getting stomped isn't useful for people because they won't have enough opportunities to get better.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is there a guide for being able to take advantage of map features for various heroes? I saw a Roadhog snare people into the pit in the Nepal temple map and it had never occurred to me to try that until I saw someone else do it first.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Ok, I gotta say, talking in the mike has a huge benefit!

-We played a game where all 5 people talked on the mike, and we eked out a narrow win. We weren't individually good, but by encouraging, redirecting, and giving constructive criticism, we ended up winning. We all ended up friending each other and winning. Now here's the great part: The next game I thought for sure we'd win since we were a 5 man premade. Long story short we didn't win, but nobody raged about it, everybody was super chill and constructive. Even though we got stomped it was probably the nicest loss I ever suffered, because nobody got pissy, raged, pointed fingers, etc.

-Another game we lost because the enemy had a really good Reaper and Hanzo and instead of bitching about it we were like "yeah, we should've taken those guys more seriously" in hindsight.

-I think by spinning things positively you can get somebody to change characters. Stuff like "I bet you're better at [character] instead, it'll be less frustrating for you" I know this comes off as touchy feely bullshit, but when talking to total strangers in competitive mode, anything that gets them to do [thing] is a small victory. People don't like to be accused of being Bad. People like thinking they might do better with X.

-I had a random on mic suggest to my Junkrat to lay snare/mine in a hallway on Attack in Eichenwald. It never occurred to me to do this, but I got snare/kill over and over again thanks to his suggestion. Had he not brought it up, I probably would've done much worse, and perhaps we would've lost. Instead, we ended up stomping the opponent as badly as I was getting stomped all morning.

-Praise goes a long way. Giving a player making a marked improvement consideration will give them an incentive to be a good team player. I think this is a big way to get pug groups to turn things around, not just by pointing out the things they are doing WRONGWRONGWRONG but by pointing out the things they are also doing well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hope Blizzard makes a live action overwatch film!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So for some reason when I'm stone cold sober and awake I'm getting 10-strong losing streaks. But when I've been at work all day, came home and slammed 6 IPAs and am simultaneously talking to my wife on the phone about her day at work I'm streamrolling everybody. I don't get it :psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hughmoris posted:

Any pro-level Junkrat tips, other than spamming choke points? He is one of my weaker characters and I'd like to get a little better at him.

Not a pro by any stretch, but I've been having better performance as Junkrat than other heroes.

-Concussion mine is a great escape tool, and if you get really good can be used to make very effective maneuvers. Sometimes I'll save it for escaping rather than just plain offense because I noticed that when up against other :corsair: players like myself, bouncing out of the enemy's FOV can allow them to be distracted by other enemies on the ground and safely escape/re-engage.

-Get accustomed to the blast radius of it because I've killed Pharas in midair simply by lobbing into the air and setting it off near them.

-Like others said, always lay down a trap. If on/near the point, I like to fight near by trap to snare sneaky Reapers. The trap can guarantee easy revenge kills when fighting close range when an enemy gets snared right when they kill you, allowing all your dropped grenades to kill them back. Another fun trick I'll do is to lay down a trap and goad a Reinhart into charging me, since the trap stops him dead in his tracks.

-I find Junkrat particularly fun on Ilios because there's plenty of places you can knock people into pits with concussion mine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I'm trying to be more versatile by familiarizing myself with more heroes, because I seem to rely heavily on Junrat, D.va and Mercy. Rheinhart seems like a very important guy to play but because I have virtually no experience with him I'm afraid if I get talked into using him I'll be terrible and cost the team the game. Any tips to get better with him? ]

Ditto on Ana. I tried her a few games on a lark and did absolutely terrible. Allies kept darting out of the way when I tried to heal them, nobody was where I needed them to be, etc. I get the sense she's one of those supports that really needs a very coordinated team to shine.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I learned I can get potg as Zenyatta simply by aiming down a narrow corridor or vertical gap and mashing LMB, E and shift and rack up a penta kill by dumb enemies that lemming their way toward their deaths.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tatsuta Age posted:

yeah you've definitely done this, that's why you've heard the game say "PENTA KILL" at any point right :buddy:

I'm used to the term from League of Legends, but even my nooby rear end has managed a few quintuple kills.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

No Safe Word posted:

guys I get the metaphor it's just the specific name I was asking about

The world Trade Center was brought down by two large metal winged tree trunks. I. E. Hanzos projectile hitscan.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Winston will find the skull of Gul Dan and become a chaos gorilla that turns on his friends.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Apologies if this has been posted already

Overwatch 'Healsluts' Turn Playing Support Into An Erotic Experience

Rules

http://kotaku.com/overwatch-healsluts-turn-playing-support-into-an-erotic-1786553002

It's about time!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kai Tave posted:

I've noticed that whenever the subject of weird pornographic fetishes gets brought up regardless of thread or context it usually results in at least a couple pages of people showing off how much they know about those weird pornographic fetishes in detail, occasionally with links and illustrations provided.

*awkwardly closes queued up PowerPoint presentation *

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Why are there so many Korean players in the US server? Why don't they play in the Asian servers? Given how useful communication is in the game its pretty annoying to have to deal with language barriers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
From a design standpoint, a few things I'm disappointed about the game:

-Three characters have cybernetic arms, but this is neither factored into their primary attack nor movesets.

-Two characters use two guns at a time, but again, they didn't find anything unique to do with this (like having LMB and RMB fire your left/right gun giving you the option of either firing both at the same time or alternating so you can fire continuously through reloads)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

If tracer had to hold both mouse buttons to fire both her guns she would be the worst designed character in this game, and if reaper could fire both his guns simultaneously he would be the most overpowered character in this game, so I would suggest not making suggestions again.

They could tune the damage accordingly. And I didn't suggest that Reaper or Tracer's guns should work like this specifically, I was just pointing out that the fact that they both dual-wield 'pistols' is merely for show and doesn't factor into their abilities at all.

My suggestion was merely to take something like having two guns and find creative ways to integrate it into their abilities, instead of just holding down LMB when the crosshairs cover an enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kashuno posted:

It's possible they do something like that in the future, but there is a lot of design space they purposefully left unexplored. It's a good way to do things for longevity sake

Yeah, I was just thinking of all the interesting places they could go with character design that could still keep the game balanced. I understand its tricky, though; you don't want a character with abilities that completely wreck the map balance (like if they could briefly phase through walls or something) nor do you want a kit that would utterly shut down another heroes kit (though I suppose Ana kind of does this vs other healers). There aren't that many DoT abilities currently in the game, for example, so there's room to grow there. Or a character that could only do awkward floaty Luigi-like jumps or something.

quote:

How could they make a cowboy with a robot arm and not make the robot arm transform into a gun of some kind?? worst game

I kind of assumed maybe he's a little embarrassed about having a robot arm, given that its kind of tucked under his poncho most of the time?