Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mercy has one of the best aesthetic designs in the game and is fun to play.

Lucio looks like poo poo and is boring as hell to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Brannock posted:

He's been making sincere posts lately, and given the brevity of that one, I figured it was one of them

I'm surprised at all the consternation about stacking, really. I was initially put off by it but after actually playing with it I don't mind it one bit. It makes for the occasional fun round and it lets you put together some interesting team compositions. We were playing against double Mercy earlier this evening and had to make sure we had the right composition that could handle back-to-back resurrections.

Triple Reaper, of course.

DIE, DIE, DIE!
Heroes never die!
DIE, DIE, DIE!
Heroes never die!
DIE, DIE, DIE!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

redweird posted:

The more I play this game the more I think Hanzo is purestrain garbage. Has no real strengths

He's really good at pressing Q.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

gmq posted:

I'm using a $2 mouse, would a better one help me? Is there any truth in the hype behind gaming accessories? Or is this just a case of gitgud?

Gaming accessories are almost entirely bullshit, ultra-high DPI on a mouse is actually a bad thing. Until sponsorships and product placement became huge most Starcraft pros played on $8 membrane keyboards, gaming poo poo is all marketing.

As noted, 800dpi is pretty much the sweet spot and while a $2 mouse is probably lovely any cheap Logitech or similar company optical mouse will be more than fine.

For sensitivity, turn it down until it takes you around 5 inches of mouse travel to turn 180 degrees, which is going to feel slow as poo poo but will allow you to make fine adjustments without constantly overshooting and overcorrecting. Go from there, turning it up or down a little until you're comfortable, but ideally you should have to use your arm for any major movements; unless you're a Korean teenager you're never going to be able to aim accurately using your fingertips to control the mouse.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Cap your fps at 30, since everyone will be moving slower they'll be easier to hit.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Verranicus posted:

Did my placement matches, won 6/10 and got a ranking of 49. Is that awful? It feels awful.

It is literally average.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

They should do a weekly brawl where it's just plain Overwatch but with every ult removed.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Doctor Reynolds posted:

It'd probably end up being a little too popular and make Blizzard feel uncomfortable.

That's the point!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Soldier is basically the best character in the game.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Brannock posted:

Why would you play Hanzo now over Widowmaker?

press q, receive potg

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

LCL-Dead posted:

I'd like to find where my bottleneck is..

I run the following:
i5 2500k @ 4.2
GTX 980
8GB RAM
Game is installed on an SSD and graphics are set to maximum @ 1080p.

When not streaming my fps is unlimited (when streaming I cap it to 80 to leave the GPU some room for the stream). When uncapped I fluctuate between 110 and 180fps but I see people running 970's and older cards (Namely the 780 TI) streaming with fps counters stable up in the 190-210 range.

What the hell is holding me back?

Your bottleneck is running the game on max settings, all the pros and high-level streamers you see getting higher framerates are running on everything low.

Also your cpu sort of, but mostly your graphics settings, Sandy Bridge is still sufficient for the great majority of games.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Honeydew Mei is the best thing in this game, game needs more Mei skin

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

mei-be she was in fact always good

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

there really does seem to be fewer shitters now than when I last played years ago, and while there's probably a lot of factors involved in that, positive reinforcement is a much more effective means of conditioning behaviour than negative

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

shield tanks are worse than toxic whiners

welcome back!

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I only recently began playing OW again, I've been having fun since I don't touch comp and play to chill, but I'm already just about done with Blizzard's inept shooter design. Characters like Bastion and Orisa exist purely as roadblocks which enable poo poo like bunkering.

OW is fun but after three years they still don't seem to get it, and if Team Fortress 3 ever gets made it'll eat Blizzard's lunch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

if you want a PvE shooter just play Destiny 2, it's better than anything Blizzard will come up with

Overwatch's entire draw as a game is being a competitive arena shooter, the PvE modes are all kinda bad and not fun to play more than a few times. They're losing players because they can't figure out how to balance a shooter with all the stupid abilities they add which break pacing and remove player control, leading to a game that rapidly becomes stale due to grossly unfun metas.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Even Dice can't manage to really nail Battlefield post-BC2, and given how many fundamental design issues Overwatch has as a shooter I can't imagine a Blizzard Battlefront being very good outside of art and engine polish.

I just really wish there were more games as well constructed and polished as Overwatch.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It’s not your pad.

Try a different mouse to see if that’s your problem, and clean the lens on the one you’re using. If the issue persists you’ve got a software problem.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

megane posted:

Maybe Reddit is more your speed.

That's not quite the burn you think it is

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I like QP because I like not giving a poo poo if I lose and even if I don't really care about my rank number in OW seeing it go down still triggers a part of the subconscious that makes it feel bad.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Then they should let there be more than 2 dps per team.

keep coming back to this game now and then because of friends, and god drat the 3dps queue was the best thing they ever did

there needs to be a for reals OW2 that doesn't have all the grotesque design problems this one does like reliance on shield tanks and healing being so powerful

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Man I updated this game to check out Echo and played some competitive games. 2-2-2 is just such a fantastically bad mode, I spend the entire match shooting at tank shields and once they finally break everyone just takes cover with max healing going out. Any real pushes or counter-pushes have to happen through ultimates.

They should've stuck with 1-3-2.

good product

bad game

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Splinter posted:

Counterpoint: they implemented 1-3-2 on live and it was the best version of OW we've ever seen.

It really was, but that's also because one of the biggest core problems with OW is the existence of tanks--especially shields--in the first place.

For the first time, and it seems the last time, Overwatch games actually flowed pretty nicely during 1-3-2.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Tanking in MMOs is fun because the group/raid are working with you and following the lead, tanking OW is literally hell even on the few tank characters that aren't terrible to play.

Overwatch would have benefited greatly from even a single senior developer who had ever played FPS before.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

it looks like Jeff is well aware of the fundamental design problems with overwatch and also that they can't actually make any major changes to the live game because of this kind of poo poo:

Father Wendigo posted:

It sounds like OW2 is surrendering to the overwhelming pubbie desire to play DPS

3/2/1 was the most positive change they've made since the game released and they went back on it in like a day lol

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

oh don't worry ow2 will still probably be all about who presses q at the right time

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

It won't happen ever, but it'd be good if while removing shields from the game they also just removed ultimates entirely

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Even Riot knew that the world doesn't need a first-person LoL and instead ripped off CSGO while keeping character abilities relatively low impact and strictly secondary to the gunplay

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

This all started with the ubercharge, god drat you medic

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Overwatch 2 might actually be... good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSvgiKidyo

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

This rework is happening because Overwatch as it stands is a poo poo game nobody really wants.

Removing the tank role and gameplay as it exists wouldn't turn Overwatch into Valorant, it would make it one step closer to being TF3, which is what got people hyped for it in the first place.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

I still haven't gotten in but what I've seen looks like balance is a mess with some tanks being a little bit bullshit.

Valorant is just CSGO with gimmicky hero abilities on long cooldowns, it's a relatively much slower paced game built around playing angles and everyone uses the same extremely lethal guns. Overwatch will never play like a tactical shooter that way, nor should it.

Hard CC being toned down and shields being at least partially removed is a huge step in the right direction tho, while Overwatch will never be and doesn't need to be a direct analog to TF2 it very much did need to be redesigned away from the shielded clusters dancing around until one side pressed Q hard enough paradigm that it's been stuck in for years.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

two hours and still nothing

it is a sign

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Arzachel posted:

Did you go into https://www.twitch.tv/drops/inventory and actually claim the drop once the 4 hours were over?

seems my issue is not unique, others on reddit are reporting similar delays, tho many of them get it in an hour or so

e:

once again complaining on the internet pays off

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 28, 2022

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

BabyRyoga posted:

Played for about 90 minutes. Tanks are too strong, ruins the game almost entirely

Here's hoping they do better for OW 3

It’s mostly an Orisa problem

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Some day a brave Blizzard employee will stand up in a meeting and point that since like 90% of the player base want to play DPS that maybe they should revise/delete the whole tank role and rebalance supports around it so the game might be fun.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Turns out adding the mmo trinity to an fps doesn’t work no matter how hard you try to paper over the problems it causes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Soldier is what support should look like