Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

My people spent a 1500 years tending sheep in Scotland and it shows in my DNA results.

It's cold and lonely on the moors so yeah, they probably did more than tend.

How woolly-pated are you?

Randconda posted:

EDIT: Just checked, 98.8 percent white
lol
just lol
Come RAHOWA you will be the first against the wall, impure scum! 99.8% Eurotrash

(Sorry Nazis, I married a minority and WE BRED. I am forever sullied.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oracle posted:

How woolly-pated are you?
Come RAHOWA you will be the first against the wall, impure scum! 99.8% Eurotrash

(Sorry Nazis, I married a minority and WE BRED. I am forever sullied.)

Yes :smith: Tbf, it's low enough to be background noise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Département Haut-Rhin (Upper Rhine, Alsace) have digitized about half of their parish registers (N through Z) and are putting them online from Z down:
http://www.archives.haut-rhin.fr/Actualites/p160/Mise-en-ligne-des-registres-paroissiaux

The ones for Bas-Rhin (Lower Rhine, Alsace) have been online for a while:
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/registres-paroissiaux-et-documents-d-etat-civil/

Also, FamilySearch have put up a tool to browse their digitized films:
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Welp who’s taking advantage of being forced into hermitage to bang on some of those brick walls? Thank god for online resources.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I'm looking at a couple women that are supposed to be sisters but there's a 40 year age difference so they're probably half sisters.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thinking about my ancestors that died in 1918 right now

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

My great grandma (sitting) with her brother and sisters, the little girl died from the Spanish flu in January 1919, 17 years old.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

boo, myheritage sold my email address to netflix

Also, a couple of my ancestors married in Sweden in 1689. He was from pig-place & she was from fat-place lol

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 18, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

My great grandma (sitting) with her brother and sisters, the little girl died from the Spanish flu in January 1919, 17 years old.

My great great grandma (very young in this image), who moved to Chicago from Gamleby, Sweden because her kids had gone and done pretty well and moved her and my great great grandpa in the early 1900s, died in 1918. I think I spoke about finding her grave a few years back.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I got an email today for a 30 day free trial from newspaperarchive.com, promo code "news" I doubt it's unique to me, so if you have nothing better to do in the next month might be worth checking out.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I got an email today for a 30 day free trial from newspaperarchive.com, promo code "news" I doubt it's unique to me, so if you have nothing better to do in the next month might be worth checking out.

Just tested this and it works. Just don't forget to cancel before the 30 days are up!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oracle posted:

Just tested this and it works. Just don't forget to cancel before the 30 days are up!

Sweet!

Another thing I just got in my email. My local library has somehow setup ancestry library edition to be used from home. Just had to put my library card number in and I can use it. I only subscribe to ancestry for 6 months every 2 years or so, so this is cool as well.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Krankenstyle posted:

Département Haut-Rhin (Upper Rhine, Alsace) have digitized about half of their parish registers (N through Z) and are putting them online from Z down:
http://www.archives.haut-rhin.fr/Actualites/p160/Mise-en-ligne-des-registres-paroissiaux

The ones for Bas-Rhin (Lower Rhine, Alsace) have been online for a while:
http://archives.bas-rhin.fr/registres-paroissiaux-et-documents-d-etat-civil/

Also, FamilySearch have put up a tool to browse their digitized films:
https://www.familysearch.org/records/images/

Hey, that might actually be of use to me. Of course, that means I will have to start doing work on those lines again and not trying to find people on a census which is impossible because an American trying to spell "Guitreaux" results in me having go through sheet by sheet in between softly weeping.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm looking at my wash-board inventor again, because it turns out he is also missing from the Danish 1845 census.

He is seen 16½ years old in April 1841, is unaccounted for for 9 years, and shows back up in the 1850 census — now called a "ship-carpenter". He is not in the appropriate guild records of graduated journeymen, so he must have apprenticed outside the country. But where?

I've had no luck in ArkivDigital's searchable index of husförhörslängder covering 1840–1947, so that pretty much rules out Sweden. Was he in Germany, or perhaps in America like he claims to have been in the 1850s? Was he at sea? :shrug:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My cousin had a DNA test done, and apparently we're related to a 10th century Viking woman.

:black101:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

gently caress yea that is badass

I'm reminded of the Lovers of Modena (who died in the 400s), where it turned out that the two skeletons buried hand in hand were both male. Subsequent headlines about it assumed they were brothers or friends, nobody mentioned the possibility of homosexuality for a long-rear end time.

we put a lot of assumptions on past societies that probably dont apply. There was also a thing recently where a bunch of artefacts were identified as "probably ritual" and exhibited as such for decades until a seamstress/costumier saw them and was like, this is a tool for doing such and such thing with cloth, they are still in use to this day.

archaeology has been old white dudes for hella long

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 30, 2020

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My uncle gave me a family tree.
My grandfather was the only one to be born in Canada, much as my father was the only one in his family to be born in Canada.
But the reason I posted this is like check out the ages of the people in the 1600s. Eighty-Three years of age, in the 1600s? I got some longevity genes, drat.

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 15, 2020

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

My uncle (mother's side) gave me a family tree.

George Roper is the father of my grandfather, also George Roper.
My grandfather, not shown on the tree, was the only one to be born in Canada, much as my father was the only one in his family to be born in Canada.
But the reason I posted this is like check out the ages of the people in the 1600s. Eighty-Three years of age, in the 1600s? I got some longevity genes, drat.

You were too good for this world, Great Great Great Great Great Great Uncle Edward.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My grandfather, not shown on the tree, was the only one to be born in Canada, much as my father was the only one in his family to be born in Canada.

...And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned around on you--where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's really neat! Be sure to check the information out yourself :)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

British Isles goons: Oxford Dictionary of Family Names in Britain and Ireland is free for a week, starting today

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wow. I think I have achieved endgame in genealogy y'all, because uh... I don't think I can top this.

Meet my 11th great-grandfather,

Hatevil Nutter.

Yes, its pronounced 'Hate Evil.' Yes, he was a (Puritan) Nutter.

The History of Dover, NH by John Scales posted:

Elder Hatevil Nutter (1603-1675)
Elder Hatevil Nutter was born in England in 1603, as appears from a deposition he made. It seems he did not come over with the first lot of emigrants in 1633, but in 1637 he bought a lot of Captain Thomas Wiggin, which was rebounded in 1640, as follows: "Butting on ye Fore River, east; and on ye west by High Street; on ye north by ye Lott of Samewell Haynes; and on ye south by Lott of William Story."

His house stood on the east side of High Street, about 15 or 20 rods from the north corner of the meeting-house lot. An old pear tree stands (1923) in the hollow, which was part of the cellar. He received various grants of land from the town, and had part ownership of a saw-mill at Lamprey River. His ship-yard was on the shore of Fore River; the locality can be easily found by reference to the map. He was one of the first Elders of the First Church, and helped organize it in November, 1638. He remained a zealous and generous supporter of the Church. When the Quaker Missionaries created disturbance in 1662, he vigorously opposed them, contending they had no right to come to Dover and make a disturbance. The Quaker Historian, Sewell, speaks very harshly of the Elder. He says: "All this whipping of the Quaker women, by the Constables (in front of the meeting-house), was in the presence of one Hate-Evil Nutwell (Nutter), a Ruling Elder, who stirred up the Constables (John and Thomas Roberts) to this wicked action, as so proved that he bore a wrong name (Hate Evil)."

The story is told in detail at the Women in History blog:

quote:

In 1662 three young Quaker women from England came to Dover. True to their faith, they preached against professional ministers, restrictions on individual conscience, and the established customs of the church-ruled settlement. They openly argued with Dover's powerful Congregational minister John Reyner. For six weeks the Quaker women held meetings and services at various dwellings around Dover. Finally, one of the elders of the First Church, Hatevil Nutter, had had enough. A petition by the inhabitants of Dover was presented "humbly craving relief against the spreading & the wicked errors of the Quakers among them".

Captain Richard Walderne (Waldron), crown magistrate, issued the following order:

quote:

"To the constables of Dover, Hampton, Salisbury, Newbury, Rowley, Ipswich, Wenham, Linn, Boston, Roxbury, Dedham, and until these vagabond Quakers are carried out of this jurisdiction, you, and every one of you are required in the name of the King's Majesty's name, to take these vagabond Quakers, Ann Coleman, Mary Tompkins, and Alice Ambrose, and make them fast to the cart's tail, and driving the cart through your several towns, to whip their naked backs, not exceeding ten stripes apiece on each of them, in each town; and so to convey them from constable to constable, till they are out of this jurisdiction".

Walderne's punishment was severe, calling for whippings in at least eleven towns, and requiring travel over eighty miles in bitterly cold weather. On a frigid winter day, constables John and Thomas Roberts of Dover seized the three women. George Bishop recorded the following account of events.

quote:

"Deputy Waldron caused these women to be stripped naked from the middle upwards, and tied to a cart, and after awhile cruelly whipped them, whilst the priest stood and looked and laughed at it."

Sewall's History of the Quakers continues

quote:

"The women thus being whipped at Dover, were carried to Hampton and there delivered to the constable...The constable the next morning would have whipped them before day, but they refused , saying they were not ashamed of their sufferings. Then he would have whipped them with their clothes on, when he had tied them to the cart. But they said, 'set us free, or do according to thine order. He then spoke to a woman to take off their clothes. But she said she would not for all the world. Why, said he, then I'll do it myself.. So he stripped them, and then stood trembling whip in hand, and so he did the execution. Then he carried them to Salisbury through the dirt and the snow half the leg deep; and here they were whipped again. Indeed their bodies were so torn, that if Providence had not watched over them, they might have been in danger of their lives."

In Salisbury, Walter Barefoot convinced the constable to swear him in as a deputy. Barefoot received the women and the warrant, and put a stop to the persecution. Dr. Barefoot dressed their wounds and returned them to the Maine side of the Piscataqua River.

The above-mentioned Constable John Roberts was Nutter's son-in-law (and my 10th great-grandfather).

John Greenleaf Whittier (who was also a descendant of his) wrote the following poem about it:

John Greenleaf Whittier in 'How the Women Went From Dover' posted:

The tossing spray of Cocheco's fall
Hardened to ice on its rocky wall,
As through Dover town in the chill, gray dawn,
Three women passed, at the cart-tail drawn !

Bared to the waist, for the north wind's grip
And keener sting of the constable's whip,
The blood that followed each hissing blow
Froze as it sprinkled the winter snow.

Priest and ruler, boy and maid
Followed the dismal cavalcade ;
And from door and window, open thrown,
Looked and wondered gaffer and crone.

"God is our witness," the victims cried,
"We suffer for Him who for all men died ;
The wrong ye do has been done before,
We bear the stripes that the Master bore !

"And thou, O Richard Waldron, for whom
We hear the feet of a coming doom,
On thy cruel heart and thy hand of wrong
Vengeance is sure, though it tarry long.

"In the light of the Lord, a flame we see
Climb and kindle a proud roof-tree ;
And beneath it an old man lying dead,
With stains of blood on his hoary head."

"Smite, Goodman Hate - Evil!-harder still !"
The magistrate cried, "lay on with a will !
Drive out of their bodies the Father of Lies,
Who through them preaches and prophesies !"

It goes on and on, you can read the whole thing here. Nutter really, really hated Quakers. Too bad they got the last laugh.

Women in History blog posted:

Eventually the Quaker women returned to Dover, and established a church. In time, over a third of Dover's citizens became Quaker.

On the plus side, I now have the name of every paladin/cleric character I will ever play.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

MyHeritage has a bunch of military records on free access (not sure for how long):

https://www.myheritage.com/research/category-3000/military

Primarily American, British, Australian, etc.

also holy moly at that story, Oracle! Wild times.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 25, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Great story Oracle! You're a real nutter alright! I wonder if any of my ancestors from Salem or Plymouth knew him, Puritans all. Heck we could be related.

My mom sent me some info from an obit of my great grandfather, stating that he had started a society in Chicago but she could not find any mention of one by that name and assumed it no longer existed independently. I did a few minutes searching, found one with the right start date, shot them an email, and got a reply complete with a link to their first ever newsletter just scanned and put in the web. This included a short biography of my great grandfather! Best part was getting an invite to speak to them, hopefully next year on their 75th anniversary as I am a professional in that field! A good day for me too, but no nutters.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Great story Oracle! You're a real nutter alright! I wonder if any of my ancestors from Salem or Plymouth knew him, Puritans all. Heck we could be related.

My mom sent me some info from an obit of my great grandfather, stating that he had started a society in Chicago but she could not find any mention of one by that name and assumed it no longer existed independently. I did a few minutes searching, found one with the right start date, shot them an email, and got a reply complete with a link to their first ever newsletter just scanned and put in the web. This included a short biography of my great grandfather! Best part was getting an invite to speak to them, hopefully next year on their 75th anniversary as I am a professional in that field! A good day for me too, but no nutters.

Oh my God, that's awesome dude. I love that serendipity sometimes.

And yeah, Colonial ancestry is a hot mess of endogamy and is how all those presidents always end up to be related if they tie into any of those lines. Oh wait no its all a conspiracy of a shadow cabal of elite to control the world, my bad. We meet on alternate Wednesdays after the full moon under the Hanging Tree in Salem at the stroke of midnight where we bitch about New York's restrictive record laws and swap child recipes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I believe I have identified a regiment that my cavalrist likely belonged to (they were apparently headquartered near where he shows up in 1717, which I randomly discovered in an old genealogical article about the chief of the regiment). So, now going through the accountings of that regiment and have noticed a couple of interesting document types that show up a lot:

* Quarter rolls, which name farmers and the soldiers that were quartered with them
* Presentation certificates, which name the new recruits being presented as replacement for dead/missing/wounded/dismissed soldiers (also named)
* Horse procurement rolls, which name the soldiers receiving new horses (and also their coat, color and markings :3:)

But oh man, there are so many thousands of document images to go through lol :shepface:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There's a bunch of genealogical type investigation going on here at the moment, some of you may be able to shed more light on it, or at least have a bit of a laugh at the quality 1940s horniness:

Found an old letter from world war II

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Looked through roughly 30k images for my cavalristl, no luck so far :negative:

So I decided to write up a thing about another ancestor instead, to clear the head...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most of my ancestors seem to be farmers, criminals, or both

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Well, same. Also fishermen & soldiers, but the criminals are the most interesting.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hell yeah! I solved one of the mysteries about my 18th century Alsatian musketeer (that I'm writing about)!

So, he's in the military for 14 years since age 19, and pretty much as soon as he's discharged, there shows up a doctor with the same name, age, and city. It had always seemed unreasonable to me that he would be able to obtain a doctorate inside of a year, so until now I had put it down as a "possible" match and let it rest for several years.

Some time later, I discovered that the doctor had a letter published in the city newspaper, wherein he claims to have been cheated out of an embroidered vest by a woman. Looking further into this, I discovered that there was a case in the local small claims court. I got a friendly local to send me scans (this is all in a different country), but it had very few details except for a couple handwritten receipts. The receipts mention a man's name, not a woman, so on a lark I googled the man's name last night.

Turns out this man is mentioned in a 2005 dissertation about city musicians (apparently he was the only local apprentice musician to own instruments, which is why he's described in the dissertation), and it further states that his probate was concurrent with the above case, and that there were many claims about debts.

So I dug up the probate and it turns out the woman was the man's mother (he died young). But more importantly, the probate says that my doctor had claimed a debt for treatment of the deceased, but he did not get the full amount because "he is not authorized to practice medicine"!

That's probably as hard evidence as I'm going to get that my soldier was indeed claiming to be a doctor without having the qualifications! :woop:

Now I just still need to figure out in which of the hundreds of Alsatian parishes he was born.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Supposedly, one of my several-greats grandfathers came to the early US about two steps ahead of the hangman

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Randaconda posted:

Supposedly, one of my several-greats grandfathers came to the early US about two steps ahead of the hangman

You should look into that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

interesting article on northern slavery in New York and two women linked via genealogy and slavery
https://www.washingtonpost.com/maga...ed/?arc404=true

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

Puritans and Quakers...

Awesome history, but Lamprey river sounds horrifying.

Looking it up, it does have lampreys, but apparently it's named after a man named Lamprey.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Awesome history, but Lamprey river sounds horrifying.

Looking it up, it does have lampreys, but apparently it's named after a man named Lamprey.

Things Unexpectedly Named After People

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wrapped up my "article" about the Alsatian musketeer/false doctor for now. Got some nice comments from other Danish genealogists :)

Now I'm back on my Swedish papermaker, who's been an obsession for decades. There's so much stuff to find, and I shudder to think about writing it all up. I must have enough for at least 200 pages by now, jeez.

Currently trying to figure out what happened to the little paper factory he ran 1832–34. It seemed to be going well (output steadily rising by 50% YoY) but then it suddenly stopped producing.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Hey Oracle, do you or anyone else here have experience with Black or American Indian genealogy? That is very much outside my usual wheelhouse, but curiosity is compelling me to know more.

Also, my mom has been using the COVID isolation period to prepare her application for membership in DAR and whatever the Mayflower group is, so I hope you guys have good pie recipes. She was also going to apply to the Daughters of the Confederacy, but luckily we were able to convey why that was not a good idea. :thermidor:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Hey Oracle, do you or anyone else here have experience with Black or American Indian genealogy? That is very much outside my usual wheelhouse, but curiosity is compelling me to know more.

Also, my mom has been using the COVID isolation period to prepare her application for membership in DAR and whatever the Mayflower group is, so I hope you guys have good pie recipes. She was also going to apply to the Daughters of the Confederacy, but luckily we were able to convey why that was not a good idea. :thermidor:

There's a whole separate thread for African-American genealogy over in the Minority Rapport sub-forum. So, yeah :) You can feel free to ask here too but you may find your answer already there. American Indian is trickier but doable depending on when/where you're looking.

And yeah, DOC can go jump off a hell of a lot of cliffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I'm eligible to join both SUVCW and SCV. The latter is going to have to do a hell of a lot of soul-searching before I would even consider joining it.