Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

There's a series of films from Denmark 16–1700s on FamilySearch, where were all digized back in 2019, except the one would say "no access" when you clicked on the little camera. So I wrote them about it a year ago & they simply removed the camera icon. I figured they were working on it or something.

Still isn't online, so I made a new ticket last week like "film #xxxx in catalog entry #yyyy is not available, though the rest are ok." Just got a reponse that is basically "Thank you for the information. I see that it is "accountings 1712 whatever", which is kept in Salt Lake".

lmao what? yes, that is the film i mean. i dont care where it is! you gonna fix it or are you just making conversation :psyduck:

I think that means it isn't actually scanned or microfilmed, oops, we'll get to it when we get to it (lol nevar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It's possible.

But I do remember that when it was showing the error back in 2020, it had 700-some images so there was something there. From talking to their support on other occasions, it often seems like they know even less about what's going on than I do. Real bottom tier stuff. I kinda have a hunch that it was actually scanned with the rest of the films in the catalog, but someone fat-fingered the "publish"-button in their internal CMS and none of the support people have access to fixing it. I guess if I'm persistent enough, I can get it escalated lol

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just a heads up for Mother’s Day, in addition to all the DNA test sales (49-59) newspapers.com is free all weekend so open up those notepad files and do some obit digging!*

*offer likely not valid in countries which do not celebrate Mother’s Day this Sunday

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Neat! Just the other day I was wondering if another newspaper promotion was coming up, if only I can remember what I wanted to look up :o:

Also, I got a reply on my question whether they'll publish the scanned film: "Hopefully! I don't have contact to them over there, but will send a message" lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

Neat! Just the other day I was wondering if another newspaper promotion was coming up, if only I can remember what I wanted to look up :o:

Also, I got a reply on my question whether they'll publish the scanned film: "Hopefully! I don't have contact to them over there, but will send a message" lmao

Yeah its very much a labor of love.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Man, trying to untangle these two guys named Hans Pedersen from my hometown is hard as gently caress.

They each married multiple times, and there are probates for some wives and one of the guys, but ages or relatives or houses keep not matching up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ooh, all six month memberships to ancestry are 50% off til Sunday. Use the link in the link. (May only be good for US peeps, I dunno, try it and see what happens).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

One of my tasks at the archives has been developing an application that can look at OCR and make educated guesses as to whether it was correct. These are historical Danish documents & the error rate is something like 15% which makes text search difficult and often futile. No good searching for Hans Jensen when the OCR thinks it says Mans Jonsen...

So the app has a dictionary of historical Danish, and a HMM that makes guesses on alternate interpretations when the words are not in the dictionary. If it finds a valid guess, it can change the word itself, and if not, volunteer annotators can go through the words and fix them. Every fix updates the dictionary and HMM, making more and more automatic corrections accurate. At some point the error rate will approach acceptable for automatic corrections and we can run it on our full data set!

We just had a test phase with 10 volunteers, and though some of them dropped off, we now have 26 fully corrected documents. Probably gonna launch for the full group of volunteers (several hundred) soon, hopefully the app won't completely break lol

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Stop looking up that Man's Jonson.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Facebook Aunt posted:

Stop looking up that Man's Jonson.

no

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

One of my tasks at the archives has been developing an application that can look at OCR and make educated guesses as to whether it was correct. These are historical Danish documents & the error rate is something like 15% which makes text search difficult and often futile. No good searching for Hans Jensen when the OCR thinks it says Mans Jonsen...

So the app has a dictionary of historical Danish, and a HMM that makes guesses on alternate interpretations when the words are not in the dictionary. If it finds a valid guess, it can change the word itself, and if not, volunteer annotators can go through the words and fix them. Every fix updates the dictionary and HMM, making more and more automatic corrections accurate. At some point the error rate will approach acceptable for automatic corrections and we can run it on our full data set!

We just had a test phase with 10 volunteers, and though some of them dropped off, we now have 26 fully corrected documents. Probably gonna launch for the full group of volunteers (several hundred) soon, hopefully the app won't completely break lol

This is cool and I hope other languages follow your lead (looking at you, German/Polish archives with documents full of sutterlinschrift)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is more of a post-processing step to fix up OCR/HTR from some other source (tesseract, transkribus, etc), but it's something i wanna try

we do have some 350k+ names transcribed from handwritten burial records 1860–1920 that would be super neat to try using as a data set (there are addresses and cause of death too but theyre standardized and useless for training)

it wont be in the near future tho... plus its like, either we use our own dev time (which is already stretched) or we pay for transkribus & theres only so much room in the budget.

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 11, 2021

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Oracle posted:

So I was today years old when I learned that Sweden has an amazing free online newspaper repository that goes back in some cases to the 1600s.

https://tidningar.kb.se/

Cool, will have to see if I can dig up the story about how my Great great grandfather's father and older brothers fell through the ice in Gamleby sometime in the mid-1800s. Tragic story that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

is it just me or did FamilySearch remove "my cases" entirely from the help center?

this doesn't work:
https://www.familysearch.org/help/helpcenter/article/how-do-i-view-comment-on-and-reopen-my-support-cases

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Came across a burial record from 1705 where the guy has the byname "Tear-Hider", I guess he cried a lot when he thought nobody could see? :(

Tbf it could also be interpreted as "Tear-Saver" which could be some alchemy thing, though that seems unlikely given he lived in a small fishing hamlet.

e: also FamilySearch removed the help page on how to find your support tickets so I guess that's that.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Carthag Tuek posted:

Came across a burial record from 1705 where the guy has the byname "Tear-Hider", I guess he cried a lot when he thought nobody could see? :(

Tbf it could also be interpreted as "Tear-Saver" which could be some alchemy thing, though that seems unlikely given he lived in a small fishing hamlet.

e: also FamilySearch removed the help page on how to find your support tickets so I guess that's that.

Tear-Saver, who drinks yours when he needs an esteem boost

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

as long as he isnt a Tear-Jerker im ok w it

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I decided to try using Ancestry again recently to see if I could find any information about my biological father who I have never met. I've done this in the past but came up with pretty much nothing, so I wasn't expecting anything, but, you know, new records digitized all the time, etc.

I found a reference to his SSDI entry in a family tree. The tree was a secondary tree on the person's account, which had just my bio-dad and one child.

The child was not me.

So. After reaching out, I learned I have a half sister!

Also, she has a half brother. Through my bio-dad. Who also isn't me!

I don't really know what I was looking for, but I guess I found it!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Excellent, congrats! :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Way to go! Remember to always keep checking everyone!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Congratulations. Makes me happier about my decision to be (visible) on 23andMe, despite my extremely boring results. You never know who you might end up helping out.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Just had a bit of a mindfuck; my father had 3 brothers of whom two died before I was born. Today my mom casually mentioned both of those brothers had kids of their own, which I am pretty sure is completely news to me. I've got cousins I've never heard of before and I'm not sure what to do about it; should I try tracking them down or just leave it be, and how do I even go about finding living relatives?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Find the obituaries of the brothers note location of their death and who are named as survivors then get your google fu on and/or Facebook stalk them to make sure they’re not crazy and reach out. If it’s been long enough you may also want to search for obits for some of the older ones as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I assume they lived in Denmark? But yeah, you can try newspaper archives though most of them aren't available from home/free:

https://www2.statsbiblioteket.dk/mediestream/avis
https://politiken.dk/laeseavis/
https://nordjyske-avisarkiv.dk

If you can find out where your father's brothers lived, you can also check church records, which are accessible presuming your cousins were born before 1960. You might also look for your dad's brothers burial records, which are accessible up to 1969:

https://www.sa.dk/da/brug-arkivet/arkivalieronline-se-originale-dokumenter-paa-nettet/

Perhaps you can get a lead by searching for grave stones (not all cemeteries are covered):

http://www.findgravsted.dk

There's also Statstidende, where all probates/skifteforretninger are announced, which might be useful. Unfortunately, they are not searchable, but here's a partial index:

http://aneguf.dk

E: Also check out the death register which should cover every death in Denmark 1943–69:

https://dodsregister.dk

E2: And of course Folkeregisteret, where you can pay a fee to look up anyone past 1968 (you get either current address or address/date of death):

https://www.borger.dk/samfund-og-rettigheder/Folkeregister-og-CPR/Det-Centrale-Personregister-CPR

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 11, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh hey, anyone here with an active Ancestry subscription? Oracle? :)

There's this Danish guy, Julius Gandrup (born January 10, 1852 Copenhagen). He inherits his father's book selling business in the early 1870s, but soon gets into money trouble and the company is put under administration by the bankruptcy court. According to Danish newspapers, he flees to America around September 4, 1879.

I have found him in the 1880 New York census, where he lives 257 8th Avenue (corner of West 23rd Street) — apparently making his living as a musician(!):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YBJ-9MV (near the bottom)

I have not found him in other US censuses. His wife (who stayed in Copenhagen) is called "married" in the 1885 Copenhagen census (she lives with her mom, Julius is not present), but from 1890 she is referred to as "widow". She dies in 1939. Whether Julius actually died before 1890 is unknown, his wife may have preferred to refer to herself as a widow for social reasons.

I see that Ancestry has a record that he apparently traveled from Hamburg, Germany to La Plata (presumably Argentina?) on a date I can't see:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewe...t=successSource (idk if the link works, but I found it with a simple search for Julius Gandrup).

I'd love a copy of that record if it really is him :)

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Carthag Tuek posted:

Oh hey, anyone here with an active Ancestry subscription? Oracle? :)

There's this Danish guy, Julius Gandrup (born January 10, 1852 Copenhagen). He inherits his father's book selling business in the early 1870s, but soon gets into money trouble and the company is put under administration by the bankruptcy court. According to Danish newspapers, he flees to America around September 4, 1879.

I have found him in the 1880 New York census, where he lives 257 8th Avenue (corner of West 23rd Street) — apparently making his living as a musician(!):
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YBJ-9MV (near the bottom)

I have not found him in other US censuses. His wife (who stayed in Copenhagen) is called "married" in the 1885 Copenhagen census (she lives with her mom, Julius is not present), but from 1890 she is referred to as "widow". She dies in 1939. Whether Julius actually died before 1890 is unknown, his wife may have preferred to refer to herself as a widow for social reasons.

I see that Ancestry has a record that he apparently traveled from Hamburg, Germany to La Plata (presumably Argentina?) on a date I can't see:
https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewe...t=successSource (idk if the link works, but I found it with a simple search for Julius Gandrup).

I'd love a copy of that record if it really is him :)

It's like 1MB so I've linked it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3oby9h3sg8g1gun/K_1750_080509-0276.jpg?dl=0

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Thanks for checking, Gravitee! :)

Appears not to be the same guy, this one is 24 years old in 1893 and comes from Vejle in Jutland. Probably it's Julius Vilhelm Gandrup born March 31, 1869 in Bregnet (also in Jutland). Unsure if he's related.

Are there any good indexes for deaths/burials in 1880s New York?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Hey sorry just saw this work has been nuts.

New York is notorious for being lovely with releasing stuff like b m d records especially nyc. A group called Reclaim The Records formed to loosen them up and have won a few lawsuits but are still waiting on the record trove you’re likely to find what you’re looking for in. So unless you know someone in Brooklyn who knows how to navigate the Byzantine records office you may be out of luck.

That said I’ll take a look when I have a minute and see what pops up in NY state census from around that time (or you can on family search I think). State censuses are every ten years on the five year mark (eg 1895, 1905) and may give you a clue if he stuck around. You could also try find a grave.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Wow, what a shitshow. Good on that group for asserting the right to record access!

I will try finding the Danish probate for his wife/widow, it might say something.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
The cousin search turned out not to be so difficult. The genealogy book over my dad's branch of the family was in the basement and I already got the name of one of the lost cousins. My aunt probably also knows about the other cousins too, so for the time being I've put it a bit on the backburner. Truth be told I don't know if they want to get in touch; both uncles went insane and died so maybe there's a reason I have never met them.

Anyway I have turned my attention back to my ancestors on my mom's side, and I could use a little help deciphering a few lines from an old parishbook:

It is from a column describing their profession and place of residence. What I think it says, so far is:

S----- , og --------gaard
------ paa Gielballe Mark
Flauenfeldt------

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I read:

[Hiuler], og Selvejergaard(-)
mand paa Gielballe Mark,
Flauenfeldt kaldet.

First word is unclear, might be easier for me to read with more context, but I think it's Hiuler = hjuler = hjulmand :)

Which of the man, the farm, or the field is called Flauenfeldt, I can't say.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I'm getting to the point where I want to start publishing my tree or writing a book. I use Ancestry and Family Tree maker usually and they sync up pretty well. I also have info over at MyHeritage and Geni. I'd like to see if I can review all of the data together to make sure I didn't add someone on MyHeritage but forgot to add it to Ancestry or whatever. Is there an app/program that will do that for me? Or exporting the info into a spreadsheet and use some Excel functions to compare/contrast?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gravitee posted:

I'm getting to the point where I want to start publishing my tree or writing a book. I use Ancestry and Family Tree maker usually and they sync up pretty well. I also have info over at MyHeritage and Geni. I'd like to see if I can review all of the data together to make sure I didn't add someone on MyHeritage but forgot to add it to Ancestry or whatever. Is there an app/program that will do that for me? Or exporting the info into a spreadsheet and use some Excel functions to compare/contrast?

RootsMagic is what I use, includes the ability to access all those via your signon accounts and download data as well as export (there is a bit of a learning curve). 8 will be out Any Year Now(tm)...

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Carthag Tuek posted:

I read:

[Hiuler], og Selvejergaard(-)
mand paa Gielballe Mark,
Flauenfeldt kaldet.

First word is unclear, might be easier for me to read with more context, but I think it's Hiuler = hjuler = hjulmand :)

Which of the man, the farm, or the field is called Flauenfeldt, I can't say.

drat you're good. It's my great great great grandfather and I know he was a hjuler. Flauenfeldt is the name of the farm he owned, and maybe also have built. Thanks!

Godt arbejd. :denmark:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

np :tipshat:

I've been on a transcription binge, spent the last week transcribing 39 pages of court interviews stretching from April 30 to September 26, 1808. They concern my 5th great grandmother, who had s sickly old woman in her care. After the woman died, it came out in probate that she had willed all her belongings including a couple of bonds to my ancestor, which the woman's sister contested.

A lot of hearsay, but super interesting:
- who was present when the will was made: one of the signatory witnesses was an old man who was hard of hearing, so he couldn't really swear to what people said at that time lol
- was the old woman of sound mind: inconclusive, but it turns out the will might have been invalid anyway, as she had a living husband who was sailing on Greenland.
- my ancestor's financial situation: she was scraping by until the old woman died (often bought on credit because she couldn't pay until her 8-year old son got his wages each week), whereupon she suddenly was flush, and even gave a 100 rigsdaler bank note (that she claimed to have had "for years") to a boyfriend for safe-keeping, which the court found very suspect.
- where had the bonds gone: my ancestor claims not to have seen them after the death, so they were tracked by seeing who collected the accumulated interest on the bonds (their numbers were recorded in the will). Then these people were found, and who they had bought the bonds from. Unfortunately that trail runs dry, as many of those trading in bonds had lost their papers and receipts (if they even kept any) during the English bombardment of Copenhagen.

All in all, the court isn't very impressed with my ancestor's explanations. Not sure where it all goes yet, as that will be a different department of the court.

As for writing up your stuff, I only have one (local) canonical database that I put everything in. I do have a Geni account, but only keep it around for the occassional message, and for the Faroese part of my tree, which a cousin of my mother is maintaining. When I'm writing up a person, I go through my own database & organize my documents & images into sections. Whether the sections are by theme or period depends on what I have. I transcribe all the documents that I might want to quote from before I begin writing. At this point, I usually discover a reference to something I haven't looked into yet, and postpone writing until I have checked it out.

The writing itself is done in LaTeX with memoir and genealogytree plus a bunch of my own macro stuff for formatting historical currency amounts, etc. Lots of verbatim source transcripts, both as single sentences and block quotes. Illustrations are great, aside from the obvious portraits, maps, and scanned source texts, I use contemporary paintings & cartoons, newspaper clippings, whatever makes the page "pop". I also like to use tables or timelines to illustrate some data, such as a ship's voyage (dates, ports, notes, source) or comparing one person's data to another to illustrate the likelyhood of stolen identity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh also, I got my hands on a scanned copy of a school photo from 1912 that has the two brothers who emigrated in it, so I sent that to my Canadian step-second cousin once removed :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

God why can’t I have cool relatives like you. I really got work on that Dutch 11th great grandfather do you can dig cool poo poo out of the archives for me…

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm Danish :supaburn:

but in case you actually mean Dutch, WieWasWie is pretty neat: https://www.wiewaswie.nl

Also GenVer has excellent indexes to FamilySearch scans: https://genver.nl

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 24, 2021

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Danish/Dutch confusion strikes again

Have you had any luck with DNA sites, Oracle? Sometimes I contemplate the map of my 'relatives' (the vast majority <0.20% in common) and it looks so cool

I even have one in Denmark!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

I'm Danish :supaburn:

but in case you actually mean Dutch, WieWasWie is pretty neat: https://www.wiewaswie.nl

Also GenVer has excellent indexes to FamilySearch scans: https://genver.nl

Blargh. Dutch, Danish, Swedish... I guess it depends when it was. I think it was all kingdom of Sweden back when I'm looking. Or Holland. http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~hotalingz/genealogy/brief.htm

Phlegmish posted:

Danish/Dutch confusion strikes again

Have you had any luck with DNA sites, Oracle? Sometimes I contemplate the map of my 'relatives' (the vast majority <0.20% in common) and it looks so cool
Tons, yes. In fact I discovered via DNA that due to a first cousin marriage sometime in the 1600s I am distantly related to the previous head of the genealogy society in my county. Far as I know before I moved here no relatives were ever even remotely near my current location so *serendipity* strikes again. I do still have two brick walls resulting from illegitimate births on my Swedish and German sides that'll probably never see hammered out (records in Germany were destroyed in WWII far as anyone knows and the Swedish I've covered here before).

Endogamy and being mostly Western European as hell tends to make DNA kind of hard to tease out who came from where. I mean ancestry still insists I'm like 26% Scottish even after the update when the last time anyone was in Scotland in my tree that I know of was like the 1500s. They all went to Ireland and became 'more Irish than Irish themselves' and then joined the British Army and pretended to be Protestant then promptly 'converted' and married Catholic women once they retired from service and hung around Canada bitching about the farmland quality of their land grants for service to the crown. One guy did claim he was some kind of baronet or something interestingly enough which may have a sliver of truth in it. It was rather odd they were all literate for being like Irish cobblers and stonemasons and soldiers and such.