Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
So I'll be there for a week from August 7-14. I'm going with a large group of 7 (possibly 8) people., but I'll be the first one there and will be getting a rental and hanging around Cancun for 8 hours waiting on everyone else to get in at 12am. We're getting an Air BnB in Tulum. I know basic rules of getting away from touristy areas to save $$ on food and drinks, not to walk alone at night, bottled water, brush up on your Spanish to not be a rude tourist.

Any must sees? I have a day trip to Chichen Itza on my radar. I'm guessing we'll be splitting up into different groups based on desire.

Any tips from those who have been before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
We did Coba instead of Chichen Itza since it's closer and you can climb the stairs at the ruins, also a little less packed with tourists. That's about all I can recommend since we mostly stuck around the resort otherwise.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I loved Tulum. The town itself is not great, but there's so much around it. The ruins are amazing of course, we ended up going two days in a row. Go before they open and be the first ones in, it's magical. The beach is one of the prettiest I've swam at. Go prepared to swim.

You must go to Gran Cenote and Dos Ojos, they're some of the most beautiful natural places I've ever been. Be prepared to swim and bring a mask. There are also a lot of other cenotes, including one in someone's private backyard they charged five pesos to see. You jump in a hole and drop into it. Explore around, the whole area is amazing.

edit: you can walk alone at night, it's safe as is the Yucatan peninsula in general.

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 12, 2016

• Locked thread