Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Boxman posted:

I don’t have personal experience but -

You’re a little vague what “corners” mean. If it’s two “consecutive” corners, you’ll almost assuredly have a dead zone somewhere in your tracked area. How large that tracked area is can be difficult to predict from descriptions on the internet, and how much that will bother you is impossible to predict, since it’s based on what games you play and personal preferences.

Similarly, in opposite corners, tracking might get a little hinky, but exactly how much depends on the specifics of your exact set up, and how much that bothers you will vary again.

Edit: Like, I have sensors at about 8 Feet up in two consecutive corners, and I have a dead area behind me, but it doesn’t bother me much so far. I see a hand doing weird poo poo, and I know to turn 90 degrees in space and turn a bit with the thumb stick. It’s probably unworkable for Echo Arena but I don’t play anything super twitchy. Yet. I’m sure a third sensor is in my future.

It's not harder or easier to set up in this room with adjacent or opposite corners. Room is not a square but square-ish. I can get the sensors up 8ft easily and I'm exactly 6ft tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, does Lost Echo play well through ReVive?

I'd recommend turning off the snap rotation, 'Yaw' in the settings. It's almost impossible to not do accidentally with the trackpad and I find it nauseating.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

2 cameras is "good enough", but you'll have one annoying, immersion breaking tracking loss every 5 minutes or so. A third camera removes those and lets you spin around however you want. I'd definitely suggest getting a third camera unless you only play seated.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Okay I'm convinced. 3rd camera bought, and luckily it's free one day so will arrive before other stuff does anyhow. Has anyone successfully mounted them with just gaffer tape and/or 3M command strips? I don't want to go through the effort of planning out permanent mounting for this room.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I bought these and you can use command strips to stick em to your wall.
Oculus Rift Sensor Mount Black (2 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRFVHXJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_G3KgAbQC00B5F

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Switched.on posted:

I bought these and you can use command strips to stick em to your wall.
Oculus Rift Sensor Mount Black (2 pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRFVHXJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_G3KgAbQC00B5F

Seems like only one guy sells these on Amazon and all the colors and pack sizes are back-ordered :(

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Seashell Salesman posted:

So I ordered the Rift + Touch yesterday and a 1080 per the conversation ITT, but I didn't bother to order a 3rd sensor for now since I want to keep it in my study and not move it to a free room immediately. I figured that 360 rotating on the spot and arm swinger locomotion would work in the 2 sensor configuration if I stood back from my desk with the sensors up above my head in the corners of the room. Is that not possible though?

2 cameras in opposite corners is perfectly adequate for full 360 roomscale if your space isn't massive. You might want a USB extension for the far camera depending on your room layout, though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Helter Skelter posted:

2 cameras in opposite corners is perfectly adequate for full 360 roomscale if your space isn't massive. You might want a USB extension for the far camera depending on your room layout, though.

I had tracking issues beyond 2.5x2.5m and if you wall mount them it's basically necessary to have 3 cameras unless the room is very tiny.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Helter Skelter posted:

This is true. I did 2 cameras for a while actually. I only picked up a third to catch those pesky corners and when I was prone in onward.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I've been running 2 cameras for my rift mounted in my ceiling opposite each other and have had minimal issues with tracking loss in a fairly large sized playspace. I'd suggest trying it out before buying the third sensor.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SwissCM posted:

I had tracking issues beyond 2.5x2.5m and if you wall mount them it's basically necessary to have 3 cameras unless the room is very tiny.

My space is ~2.5x2m and I've had zero issues. Bare minimum, I'd say it's worth a shot with 2 cameras if you're on the fence.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Cancelled 3rd sensor, will experiment in this tiny room first. Thanks for so many people sharing their experience :)

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
Wanted to recommend this

http://store.steampowered.com/app/510290/DEXED/

Its really fun. totally worth the 3 bucks right now.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I had a ton of fun playing "Dead Effect 2 VR" co-op with a friend this evening. I had never heard of it before, so I didn't have high expectations. It was actually very good, especially if you have someone to play with. It's like a VR Doom 3 with a ton of RPG elements and plenty of random one-off mission types tacked on.

It seems that it was a f2p iPad game with plenty of B.S. monetization, but they stripped all that out for the premium VR port, and now running the main story or random survival missions is enough to upgrade things pretty fast.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Seems like only one guy sells these on Amazon and all the colors and pack sizes are back-ordered :(

if you have access to a 3d printer, you can just have some like that made: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1772848

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Reminder that Pavlov is on sale for $6. With solid core gameplay, hundreds of custom maps in the workshop (including a number of good quality ports from CS and other games) and a thriving online playerbase, this is ridiculously good value-for-money if you like FPS at all. Plus you'll have it for when the Battle Royale game mode is released sometime in the next few months! Early alpha tests for that are expected to be happening every weekend.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 26, 2017

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Seconding Pavlov, game is fun as hell.

Also, I have four sensors :smug:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

Run her through the initial "first contact" demo (its in your library and can be replayed whenever). I've never seen that fail to make someone smile and laugh. Job sim is also an absolute hoot for people who've never used vr, and is a fun demo game if you have people over who want to try vr.

It's okay, she didn't murder me. I told her and she thought it was pretty cool. She liked the first contact demo and she's not a huge fan of video games.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
VR is actually perfect for people who aren't into video games. You don't need to learn any bullshit abstract button inputs, so you skip to the fun part directly.

Try out stuff like Robo Recall and Echo Arena. My GF lost her mind for the Unspoken but it's a $30 multiplayer game that doesn't have the healthiest population so might not work for you, but anyway the point is don't be afraid to put people into more "hardcore" games.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

WMain00 posted:

It's okay, she didn't murder me. I told her and she thought it was pretty cool. She liked the first contact demo and she's not a huge fan of video games.

VR is very interesting about how it captures non gamers really. The weirdest thing I've seen is one of the folks competing in the echo arena esports tournament was a like, 46 year old stay at home mom who never played video games at all, and now she was crazy into this VR game. Its wild stuff.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

VR is very interesting about how it captures non gamers really. The weirdest thing I've seen is one of the folks competing in the echo arena esports tournament was a like, 46 year old stay at home mom who never played video games at all, and now she was crazy into this VR game. Its wild stuff.

Hasko or whatever? Yeah she plays sitting too.

O_O

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah - I was stunned by the reaction some people have had. Using Unity, I built a room that had a bunch of stuff in it you could grab and throw etc., and my mom (who is 78) and her friend (who is 75) lost their loving minds getting to throw poo poo around in there using my vive, and they kept coming up with ideas for making it more interesting all the while. Both of them are hilariously non-technical and I think the only video game my mom ever played was Solitaire so she could learn how to use a mouse.

Also, different note: I finally had my first nausea incident in VR. I was playing GORN and, while GORN definitely triggers the hell out of my fight or flight reflex, it has never really caused any physical discomfort before. This time, as I was tweaking the locomotion options, suddenly my FOV became very small, like I was viewing the world through a cardboard tube, and my eyes just couldn't track or focus properly, and I immediately became incredibly uncomfortable. I spent maybe another 30 seconds trying to undo it in game before I just couldn't handle the feeling anymore. Took off the headset and had to lay down for 10-15 minutes before I felt like myself again. It might have been a temporary glitch with the TPCast, or it might have been a glitch in GORN, but either way I haven't run into it again.

metztli fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 26, 2017

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

My GF lost her mind for the Unspoken but it's a $30 multiplayer game that doesn't have the healthiest population so might not work for you

That's a shame because it looks amazing. Not even any bots or anything?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just discovered the sketches in tilt brush and holy poo poo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

FuzzySlippers posted:

There is a bot but it's pretty dumb. I think they're working on or maybe have already implemented difficulty settings for it, and there's a single player component coming out in December. You should still be able to find games during prime time, but you'll probably run into the same people a lot.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

FuzzySlippers posted:

It does have a single player campaign coming in january as well. I got it free from the touch pre-order so its hard for me to say if its worth the money, but it is a fun game, and has the best spell mechanics of any VR game i've played and all the online matches I did were a blast. I don't know what the userbase is like at this point, but out of curiosity I opened the game right now and it lists average wait times of under 10 seconds for all the different modes. I don't know if thats inaccurate, or just the same few people constantly playing or what. They do have a discord though, and the devs play with the community every thrusday, so you could check some of that out if you're curious to get a sense of where its at. The game does have bots you can play with as well though.

I hope they do the single player campaign right because mechanically and visually I love the game, I'm just not the biggest fan of 1v1 fighting games in any form. I think it will get some new blood at any rate though when the single player campaign launches.

EDIT: ^^^ Oh is it December its coming? Even better!

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 26, 2017

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Any recommendations for easy to pick up seated VR games for Vive?
I'm hoping for something as easy to pick up as Space Pirate Trainer.
I've got Archangel but I'm not convinced that it's easy enough to pick up.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

metztli posted:

Yeah - I was stunned by the reaction some people have had. Using Unity, I built a room that had a bunch of stuff in it you could grab and throw etc., and my mom (who is 78) and her friend (who is 75) lost their loving minds getting to throw poo poo around in there using my vive, and they kept coming up with ideas for making it more interesting all the while. Both of them are hilariously non-technical and I think the only video game my mom ever played was Solitaire so she could learn how to use a mouse.

Also, different note: I finally had my first nausea incident in VR. I was playing GORN and, while GORN definitely triggers the hell out of my fight or flight reflex, it has never really caused any physical discomfort before. This time, as I was tweaking the locomotion options, suddenly my FOV became very small, like I was viewing the world through a cardboard tube, and my eyes just couldn't track or focus properly, and I immediately became incredibly uncomfortable. I spent maybe another 30 seconds trying to undo it in game before I just couldn't handle the feeling anymore. Took off the headset and had to lay down for 10-15 minutes before I felt like myself again. It might have been a temporary glitch with the TPCast, or it might have been a glitch in GORN, but either way I haven't run into it again.

Can't remember off hand if Gorn had the"comfort" option for movement or not. It's also in Google Earth, it blocks out your peripheral vision when moving. It never made me sick, though I only used it for a few seconds it took to realize what it was. I think the idea is it softens the effect of moving for sensitive people, though it's incredibly annoying to people that don't need it.

e: on the topic of oldies, my mom's mind was blown by the dinosaur in my GearVR. My dad handled that fine and even tried some Superhot VR (he tends to only play card games and some civilization stuff). He picked that right up, though his hands and arms are pretty wrecked from an accident, so he couldn't physically play long. And I have an aunt that had never played video games. I let her try that Oculus intro demo in the RV and she loved it.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 26, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The camera uses the standard sized mount, so really anything will work. I use these things with 3M strips.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA

Phuzun posted:

Can't remember off hand if Gorn had the"comfort" option for movement or not. It's also in Google Earth, it blocks out your peripheral vision when moving. It never made me sick, though I only used it for a few seconds it took to realize what it was. I think the idea is it softens the effect of moving for sensitive people, though it's incredibly annoying to people that don't need it.

e: on the topic of oldies, my mom's mind was blown by the dinosaur in my GearVR. My dad handled that fine and even tried some Superhot VR (he tends to only play card games and some civilization stuff). He picked that right up, though his hands and arms are pretty wrecked from an accident, so he couldn't physically play long. And I have an aunt that had never played video games. I let her try that Oculus intro demo in the RV and she loved it.

I'm going to see if I can get my mom to play Deisim next time she's over - that game is pretty limited for now, but quite fun to mess around in, and might be about her speed.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Edison was a dick posted:

Any recommendations for easy to pick up seated VR games for Vive?
I'm hoping for something as easy to pick up as Space Pirate Trainer.
I've got Archangel but I'm not convinced that it's easy enough to pick up.

Easy to pick up in what sense, just simple controls and not much learning, or just like arcade repetitive wave type easy?

There's Ultrawings which is an arcade, pilotwings style flying game. Go through the loops, shoot the baloons, etc. Its a neat game and very simple.

Pinball FX2 VR is, well... a pinball game, with several different tables. I don't think I need to explain pinball :v:

Darknet is a seated, sort of puzzle, strategy thing. I've never actually played it but, i've heard of it a bunch.

You mentioned vive, but theres a lot of seated games that might fit what you're looking for on the oculus store, all you'd need is a gamepad for most, and to install revive.

Lucky's Tale is a mario 64 style platformer, cute and a lot of fun. Very simple to pick up, and best part is its free.

Defense Grid 2 is a tower defense game, and might be the kind of thing you're looking for? Its also on steam but for whatever reason the steam version doesn't have VR support, its just the desktop game.

Dragon Front is also free, and its a multiplayer (or i guess single if you want to play against bots) collectable card game thing. Never a big card game fan myself, but its simple, has replayability, and a healthy playerbase since its also free on gearVR. If you like card games probably worth a look?

Theres a lot of other seated games I could think of, but again, not sure entirely what kind of "easy to pick up" you're looking for.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
What games would you guys recommend that are good for a workout? I'm thinking something like 30 minutes of decent activity, and maybe one doesn't need to actually be good at it to play so that someone who is out of shape could easily have fun in it without having to deal with frustration or fatigue - for example, GORN but with invulnerable and just keep rampaging for the whole time or something.

A friend of mine is interested in getting more active and I am thinking that something that lets them at least get moving at first and then can ramp up would be fun for them.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Audioshield gives me a good sweat when playing some more intense songs, if you/they are into rhythm games.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

metztli posted:

What games would you guys recommend that are good for a workout? I'm thinking something like 30 minutes of decent activity, and maybe one doesn't need to actually be good at it to play so that someone who is out of shape could easily have fun in it without having to deal with frustration or fatigue - for example, GORN but with invulnerable and just keep rampaging for the whole time or something.

A friend of mine is interested in getting more active and I am thinking that something that lets them at least get moving at first and then can ramp up would be fun for them.

What's wrong with playing GORN and sometimes dying and restarting? Seems more inherently motivating than an endless rampage without any sense of improvement.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Demicol posted:

Audioshield gives me a good sweat when playing some more intense songs, if you/they are into rhythm games.

I don't have Audioshield, but SoundBoxing is another rhythm game that will give you a good workout.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I know this is old news for most people here, but I just tried Rec Room for the first time. I found the experience awkward and uncomfortable.

I don't have social anxiety, but I am an introvert and don't normally chat in multiplayer games. Having semi-retarded people come up to my face out of nowhere and start saying stuff is kind of jarring. I went into charades and felt like I didn't fit in at all. It was a couple really loud dudes, another guy yelling "pussy" and "titties", and some little kids. Then I tried some Laser Tag. The environment was cool, but it feels like teleportation and deathmatch aren't a good combo. I went back out to the lobby, saw a bunch of people talking about flipping water bottles and decided this wasn't for me.

Maybe I need to give it a second chance or try it with different people?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

metztli posted:

play my songs in Soundboxing. if you're not sweating after this one you are in much better shape than me. https://www.soundboxing.co/challenge/0cb760bf-d0b6-11e7-ae50-0a580a201d16. go back further in my profile for some easier ones to get you started.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006

What's wrong with playing GORN and sometimes dying and restarting? Seems more inherently motivating than an endless rampage without any sense of improvement.

This is for someone who has a pretty low threshold for frustration when it comes to things that are involve physical activity (hence why they aren't terribly active to begin with). They also are not very good at video games in general, so they'd be getting killed a lot and might just say gently caress it and quit. The hope is to find things that will draw them in, get them being active without them even really thinking about it, and then they can go from there.

Audioshield is great a great recommendation! That one is super forgiving of mistakes (misses only matter if you care about score) and you don't even realize how intense it is until after you've ripped through a playlist. I can't believe I forgot about that.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is duck season meant to be played sitting on the floor? Had a wonky set up going. Was having to throw the carts and vhs tapes at the console and vcr.

Edit:

Haven't heard anything about Fallout 4 VR in a while. Seems like bethesda is being very quiet about it. I'm going to assume it was delayed again.

Floor is lava fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Grey posted:

I know this is old news for most people here, but I just tried Rec Room for the first time. I found the experience awkward and uncomfortable.

I don't have social anxiety, but I am an introvert and don't normally chat in multiplayer games. Having semi-retarded people come up to my face out of nowhere and start saying stuff is kind of jarring. I went into charades and felt like I didn't fit in at all. It was a couple really loud dudes, another guy yelling "pussy" and "titties", and some little kids. Then I tried some Laser Tag. The environment was cool, but it feels like teleportation and deathmatch aren't a good combo. I went back out to the lobby, saw a bunch of people talking about flipping water bottles and decided this wasn't for me.

Maybe I need to give it a second chance or try it with different people?

Their newsletter said they were going to launch on PSVR and it would be cross compatible with PC... that sounded like a loving terrible idea on account of there's plenty of userbase to keep them separate and those are two pretty different demographics you don't want to cram together, so that might have been what you were seeing.

I have a ton of fun with Paintball, capture the flag is fun and you can't quite spam teleportation on that, it has a bit of a timer. I found that well balanced and people aren't in your face for that.

You could also, you know, see if you could find IRL friends or least goons to play with.