Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only
Yeesh. Even https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01N5K4X5A/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1 are overpriced, but that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

What are the best demo games out right? Other than Superhot and Gorn. Right now its those, tilt brush, and the lab (archery and slingshot) as my goto demo experiences but I wouldnt mind replacing one of those in the rotation.

I like space pirate trainer for demoing, though it's fun to put on Arizona Sunshine horde mode and watch newbies fire all their bullets wildly at the first zombie, miss every time, forget how to reload and get killed.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

El Grillo posted:

e: then again pretty much no-one who's not playing all the time is going to drop $$ on a flipping gun stock are they

I'm tempted, at least it's adjustable.
The magnetically attached ones look more comfortable to snap the controllers on though.
I'd be interested in seeing if anyone comes up with limited articulation in the front grip to stimulate pump action shotguns.
Given Vive knuckles are on the horizon I'd not spend that much on something that wouldn't be compatible with them.
That said, I can't see what attachment points you could have on the knuckles.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

The loss of the USB is a big turnoff, but I've got a tiny play area so I rely heavily on the camera for not bumping into things.
It's also annoying that I've now got to use an external microphone after I had finally gotten it working before setting up the TPCast.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Any recommendations for easy to pick up seated VR games for Vive?
I'm hoping for something as easy to pick up as Space Pirate Trainer.
I've got Archangel but I'm not convinced that it's easy enough to pick up.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Easy to pick up in what sense, just simple controls and not much learning, or just like arcade repetitive wave type easy?

Ideally both, I'm looking for something with an arcadey vibe.

quote:

There's Ultrawings which is an arcade, pilotwings style flying game. Go through the loops, shoot the baloons, etc. Its a neat game and very simple.

Pinball FX2 VR is, well... a pinball game, with several different tables. I don't think I need to explain pinball :v:

Darknet is a seated, sort of puzzle, strategy thing. I've never actually played it but, i've heard of it a bunch.

You mentioned vive, but theres a lot of seated games that might fit what you're looking for on the oculus store, all you'd need is a gamepad for most, and to install revive.

Lucky's Tale is a mario 64 style platformer, cute and a lot of fun. Very simple to pick up, and best part is its free.

Defense Grid 2 is a tower defense game, and might be the kind of thing you're looking for? Its also on steam but for whatever reason the steam version doesn't have VR support, its just the desktop game.

Dragon Front is also free, and its a multiplayer (or i guess single if you want to play against bots) collectable card game thing. Never a big card game fan myself, but its simple, has replayability, and a healthy playerbase since its also free on gearVR. If you like card games probably worth a look?

Theres a lot of other seated games I could think of, but again, not sure entirely what kind of "easy to pick up" you're looking for.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Darknet looks too awkward to explain.
From the video Pinball FX2 VR looks like you're standing over the pinball machine rather than seated. I'm not sure it shows off the Vive very well.
Ultrawings looks a bit complex but may be simple enough.

I'd prefer not to add the complication of Oculus stuff.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Ah, it looks like you're wanting to show off some stuff to maybe someone thats not really going to be able to stand and play some of the more involved demos?

Yep. The setting is a Christmas party. I didn't want to have an activity that a wheelchair user had no option for. Plus later in the night people are likely to be more drunk so something sitting down may work better.
Yes I will be supervising closely to make sure they don't fall over and break things.

quote:

Echoing what was said earlier, you should give pinball FX a look, its surprising how good it feels compared to any other virtual pinball. The 3d, and 90fps really makes it feel like a pinball machine, and if you're trying to show it to someone unfamiliar with VR, could be a nice introduction to the tech as everyone knows pinball.

Depending on the type of person Rez Infinite might be a good choice?

Looks interesting, but a bit too abstract for what I'm going for.

quote:

Eve Gunjack actually might be exactly what you're looking for. Its on sale for 3.99 and its basically a seated wave shooter where you're manning a turret. Like a VR space invaders or something. Its a port of the GearVR game, but couldn't be more simple, more arcadey, and had nice visuals to impress someone who doesn't really want to get into more involved stuff.

At £2.79 even if it isn't it's worth a punt. Thanks.

quote:

Thumper is another seated very arcade like trippy game, that might also be worth a look.

As cool as that looks, it looks likely to cause nausea.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

How long does the battery go on a charge? Can you block the receiver with your body/hands ad get it to drop or is it solid?

The battery is supposed to last at least 5 hours.
I keep forgetting to charge mine but it's still on 4 out of 5 lights.

I've not encountered blocking being a problem, it goes on WiFi frequencies.

I've not dropped it but the belt seems secure.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Man I wish I had a larger play area.

While playing GORN I nearly broke:

• My TV
  • My Brother's laptop
  • My cat

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

kloa posted:

I went to go punch someone in Superhot and broke a key off my mech. keyboard :rip:

I'm already on my second lightbulb... and TV.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well clearly you need to get with the times and strap a Vive Tracker onto your cat.

She barely tolerates her collar.

I used to get by with the camera but the TPcast doesn't relay USB.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Presumably why they didn't demonstrate them, since the power armour section would have made more sense to use that than the laser rifle.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I spent an hour setting up my Vive in an unused corner of the office since an hour on fridays is reserved for engineers to present talks or management to make announcements, and showing off VR games fits, especially with the end of year show-and-tell flexibility.

GORN is amazing when you've got enough space to not worry about breaking everything, especially with a TPcast so you're untethered.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Lemming posted:

Space Pirate Trainer is also great for short rounds

This. Put it in party mode so people can compare local scores.
I'm doing this with my Vive tomorrow for a Christmas party.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I worked out what was bothering me with Fallout 4 VR.
It set the floor level about where my ankles are so I'm short and I can put my hands through the floor.
I need to check a game which I know does it properly to see if it was a glitch in room setup, or (more likely) FO4VR messed up.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

8one6 posted:

Speaking of the TP cast how much clearance/head room do you need for it to work? I recently moved and my VR space has way lower ceilings than my old place.

I used to get away with having the base station on the TV cabinet, so height isn't required but it helps.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I got a gift card earmarked for VR games for Christmas so I put it towards the purchase of Arizona Sunshine and that's a pretty fun game. It's the best of the zombie shooters I've played and it seems like there's a lot to it. Does it ever progress into two handed weapons or is it one handed guns the whole way?

There's a hand-full of sniper rifles which you can use two-handed but can't take with you.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Any recommendations for stocks for Vive?
I've got a KAT VR Handgun and find myself awkwardly holding the front whilst also holding the other controller to steady my aim.
I'm tempted by a ProTube VR, but if anyone in here's used one I'd appreciate their thoughts, or if someone's got another they would recommend looking at.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Fallout VR is a bad for that, what with the star dome at night, low LOD terrain looking unreal, and when terrain fails to render.

Terrain not rendering is pretty creepy. Gives you some idea what the cosmic horror of things you just can't see might look like.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

One more question about the TPCast before I pull the trigger, does anyone know if the wifi router they include would cause interference with my own wifi? I assume they have to work on different SSIDs so it wouldn't be like a range extender sort of situation.

I think it doesn't even come up with a discoverable SSID. You could end up with issues if they pick the same channels though.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

It crashes a lot though. Is that a FO4VR thing, or just a Bethesda thing?

It's a Bethesda thing.
It's also got bugs that were fixed in the regular game allegedly.
I had suits of power armour vanish from a bug that was meant to have been fixed in one of the early patches.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

This discussion of Vive Pro and Pimax HMDs is making me want an upgrade.

Looking forward to hearing impressions when people in this thread have bought them.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I got http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/vive-pro recommended by Google.

Not a lot of new information, but the automatic IPD sounds nifty.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Speaking of crappy vr ports is there any news on whether fallout 4 vr is going to have scopes fixed at any point?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I got my ProTube today.
Heavier than I expected, but that's probably the bipod and being able to aim at distant targets makes such a difference to immersion.
It was pretty fun in Fallout 4 VR spraying bullets pivoting at the shoulder while using the other hand to run away.

The grip's a bit awkward and I haven't found a comfortable position for my left hand yet.
This is particularly awkward because Fallout 4 VR's Pip boy gets in the way of the scope.
Annoyingly the beta update broke my mods which made the reflex sights more visible.
Might switch away from pistols, since for rifles having the ProTube meant I no longer needed them.

I miss being able to use pistols two handed, so I might have to find an accessory that clips to the top of the wands.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

RIP your valuables.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

Rec Room is like a kid safe Garry's Mod, which is too bad, because I want an adult Rec Room next.

Isn't that VRChat?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Anyone know anything about VR exercise bikes?
I saw VirZOOM Arcade listed and am curious whether there's any real life in the idea.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Gort posted:

Anything I need to know before playing the VR version of Fallout 4? I've played the normal game so I'm aware of the base game's strengths and weaknesses.

Don't look into the sky at night.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

More seriously, unless you want to go VATS all the way it might be worth investigating mods so you can have more visible Reflex sights, and if you play a lot of shooting games possibly some accessories so you can steady your aim with a second hand or your shoulder.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Probably a good idea to hold off for a bit.
The update broke my mods so reflex sights are hard to see again.
This hasn't been enough of a problem to stop me playing since I've got a ProTube now.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone have both a tpcast AND a vive deluxe audio strap? Wondering if they'll play nice together form factor wise before I buy the strap.

They fit, but I found the tpcast to be too much hassle.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Mr. Peepers posted:

Tell me about rifle stocks for the Vive. I've been looking at the protube stock but I'm really wondering how the bar underneath the controllers interferes with reloading in games like H3VR.

It sounds like magnetic cups are going to be available soon so it might be worth waiting a bit before buying.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Ceive posted:

I forget if it's been mentioned here. but greenmangaming has Steam keys for SkyrimVR and FalloutVR and a 22% off code currently. GMG22

Well, I guess that answers whether I'll be playing Skyrim next or waiting for a sale.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I tried a polystyrene one.
The headset is way too heavy to balance on a polystyrene head.
I'd have to nail it to something heavy for it to work.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Stick100 posted:

FYI Vive Pro 2/ 2.0 accessorites for $762 + tax (with use of ebates). Mine came to about $835 total 962-114-10.

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/8i5jjw/htc_vive_pro_20_bundle_includes_20_controllers/

I was planning to hold off on the Vive Pro but this pushed me over.

And they've revoked the coupon's validity already.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

I upgraded my ProTube to carbon fibre tubes and magtube handles.
Assembly cost me a blood sacrifice but it's a great improvement for hand freedom.
I'd have normally swung the whole thing around to point the controller where I'd like to teleport to, now it's trivial to just detach a hand to point.
I've also started using the tube as a holder for the controllers when I need to free a hand for something, where I'd normally have let them dangle from the straps.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

rage-saq posted:

Yesssss, CF magtube supremacy! I just got the latest carbon fibre prototype magtube cups the other day and played some stand out with them last night and it’s a thing of beauty. The previous magtube prototype cups were quite a bit heavier but still so good compared to normal methods, now it’s just like butter.

I've just got CF pipes. It's plenty light enough for me.

Stick100 posted:

Guys with the new magtubes, are you using Touch controllers or Vive controllers? I got a knockoff stock and it works well with Vive controllers but just doesn't seem to work well for me with touch controllers.

I'm on Vive controllers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed. Though on a side-note, I'm actually kinda looking forward to the first incident of "why'd I drop that, oh right, I opened my hand" with the Knuckle controllers.

It happens IRL. Experiencing it in VR improves immersion.