Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

In an attempt to see how well I'm going to handle VR land when my Vive arrives, I bought and downloaded Drift for my Gear VR

I'm pretty sure I nearly killed myself half a dozen times spinning around, then a couple times more even after I unplugged the power cable from the headset

I am probably going to die with the Vive aren't I

Drift is a good game with a good ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Hierophant posted:

OSVR has already introduced an HMD at parity with the Rift

I don't believe that for a second, it's going to be bottom-of-the-heap.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

What is meant by 'hurting VR', besides "I can't play all games on my HMD"? The threat to VR is a dried up ecosystem, and any measure of keeping VR devs afloat is positive.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

There's no such thing as a "VR dev", though. Game developers may or may not develop for virtual reality; they'll only do so long term if there are customers who own or are willing to consider a VR headset. It's the consumers that need to be kept happy with their investment, not the developers.

And customers only adopt the platform if there's content in the short term. We know what short-term unsubsidized VR content looks like, it's the current Vive library and it's sort of an indie mess where consumers pay too much and devs make no money. I imagine 'games of high quality' trumps 'commitment to an open platform' in a lot of consumers views. The industry could outgrow this sort of thing but for now everyone is in a bind.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

So I have to second Battle Dome in this thread, it's awesome, if amazingly unpolished (dev says he's been working on it for about a month, but he's really active and working on stuff). Lot's of people playing too.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

They've said that it's the puking. The gameplay is more engaging when you have to turn your body anyways.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhCvUubvyZk

Here's my locomotion device. It rained a bit on filming day and made the running motion more difficult/awkward, it usually was more natural looking/feeling for someone with a bit of practice.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I really enjoyed dead secret on gearVR, very interesting experience.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

homeless snail posted:

dang I thought VR was pretty cool but I guess I was wrong

This is our fault for not reading more personal website editorials.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm excitied about touch. Will be nice to get into some dynamic VR without Vive's clunkiness. Actual modern graphics will be nice too.

Is there any indication of being able to extend the rift cable?

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 10, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rastor posted:

The MSI backpack PC is now a thing you can purchase with money:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16834154391

Zotac and other manufacturers are expected to have theirs available soon.

Is this actually better than the cable? Unless you want to spin in a lot of circles I guess.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

haveblue posted:

You could mitigate the effects of extra lag with reprojection/ASW at the headset end. That's easily within the reach of a modern embedded GPU.

That stuff is for framerate, not frame delay. You could possibily use the received frames to project all of the frames farther ahead in time and never show the rendered ones, but you'd be in much deeper artifact territory.

^Is there anything to do on it yet? I'm not surprised about the touchpad, I'm convinced the vive used the cheapest option on nearly every part.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ah, for ATW that's true. You'd have the gameworld less responsive, but also just plain late. Until now the real frames didn't come often, but they did at least come on time. Hand presence already suffered in SteamVR reprojection, and this would be a lot worse.

ASW works totally differently though, it's predicting the next frame based on the differences in previous native frames. Applying it to late frames would just make late reprojections. Like I said though, you could use the late frames to predict batches of two frames to show two and three frames later to correct for the time delay but you're likely going to have issues (or maybe just single future frames, with intermediates generated inbetween for better artifact consistency). It's possible that ASW artifacts will improve, but theres a limit at which you can't predict changes in accelleration.

Maybe you could do ASW frames rendered in advance, and then apply ATW to those to kill head motion lag. In fact, if you get something working to correct for late frames, you could just take way longer to draw the frames on a wired or standalone set, for either better graphics or weaker hardware.

This makes me wonder if native fps isn't the future of VR at all.

Edit: on second thought, you need geometry to do atw. Maybe you could send that before the frame, or continuously on another channel (given that the file is small and you can get them there with minimal delay) so you can correct frames as they arrive.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 11, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

ASW isn't just interpolating frames; it's reprojecting them for more up-to-date head positions as well, so it does reduce frame delay.

That makes it worse, right? Your interpolation is late due to interpolating late frames (in a laggy wireless system), and your orientation is on time, wouldn't that be a constant conflict between making corrections for bad data, but them interpolating them back with new bad data, and then trying to make the same correction to that?

Here's a visual for a theoretical lag correcting method:

Using late frames (yellow), predict frames of the current time (blue frames), and include the predicted HMD orientation (green face) to reproject the image to the current orientation (blue face) when you display it:

Display only the predicted & reprojected frames, to show no lag effect.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 11, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Supersampling is supposed to help a lot. Going to do some SS tests on my rift tonight.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm afraid don't really get what you're trying to say here, so I can't respond directly.

But I don't think it's really right to think of reprojection (ATW/ASW) as correcting anything. The idea of reprojection is more that the actual render-to-screen only happens at the last moment, and that render uses completely up-to-date camera information. The frames that the game produces shouldn't be thought of as incorrect outputs to be fixed, instead they're just arbitrary information about the 3D scene that the reprojection uses to render the real output. You're not compounding errors because there are no errors; all of the intermediate images are correct information, they're just not suitable to be displayed in the headset.

You do still get errors in the reprojection rendering, of course, because as a trade off for being very quick it's prone to artefacts. But those are one-off errors introduced at that point, rather than a result of any accumulation or correction of previous errors.

I'm referring to cases where the frames are outdated, such as if they are being sent through a 15ms latency wireless system like the vive is purportedly getting. You could display only asw predicted frames 15ms in the 'future' to correct.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

I think we're talking about different things, then. If you're applying reprojection before the 15ms latency, which is probably what the Vive system is doing, then absolutely it can't do anything to solve that latency. The only way reprojection can help with a laggy wireless system is if you have processing power on the headset and run the reprojection after the wireless latency has already happened.

Oh yeah, I was replying to a post talking about ASW/ATW hardware on the headset side in the first place. I should have restated that. The caveat is you'd have to send some amount of the geometry data or a representation of it with each frame.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Yea Valkyrie was awful and Gunjack was worse.

Edit: I booted my rift up for the first time in a while and they've improved the blacks and tint, but The top half of my right display is a bit redder than the rest. It wouldn't be so bad except the line separating the areas is sharp and right in the middle of the screen. Opened a ticket, see if I've gotta RMA it.

Nobody can build a drat HMD it seems.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 13, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.facebook.com/tigerspreservationstation/videos/1146961472052384/

Its everything I ever dreamed it would be

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

Okay I was hoping that wasn't the case because that would make the Vive a more obvious choice :classiclol:

Why's that? The roomscale oculus total is 80$ more, but the quality is more than 80$ better IMO. Plus more/better software. Unless you have a huge playspace and want to use all of it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I mean the quality of the package at parity. Controller and HMD quality. The roomscale is limited to a smaller space though.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Maybe we can just leave it at both HMD and controller are down to personal preference? (I know we won't but in theory we could!)

I do put IMO in subjective posts and this is a discussion board. I own both anyways.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

AndrewP posted:

Yeah, I really like my Touch controllers and everything but the idea that the Vive and Oculus were at all comparable up to this point is laughable. We had half a system. Should have just gone with the Vive from the jump but that's irrelevant now.

The vive experience for me was a month of excitement and then coming to terms with the reality of the SteamVR indie wasteland. Probably best to wait until now.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/5h51dd/the_hard_truth_about_virtual_reality_development/

Out of ammo dev talks about exclusives & subsidization, pretty good read. I bet Oculus is counting the days before they can release standalone HMD's and escape the PC gaming audience.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Lucid Dream posted:

Exclusives locked to hardware simply sucks for consumers. It might result in more content, but it isn't worth the price we'll all pay in the end. VR is already expensive enough, and it isn't reasonable to expect consumers to buy multiple headsets or specific processors to access all the content. I understand the business reasons why these companies are going down the exclusive path, but as a consumer I think it is absolutely unacceptable. The Khronos Group is working on a VR standard, so soon all the other justifications for the exclusive content will go away and we'll be left with simple corporate greed. The reaction to the Arizona Sunshine restrictions and the devs walking it back is heartening, and I hope that as VR matures we see the exclusive garbage go away completely.

I think it beat's VR proving itself (for now at least) to be a profitless money pit for devs and a content-free paperweight for consumers.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Oh I don't doubt that. I've been telling people that 'the year of VR' is ~2020, when ~300$ high quality standalone HMD's come out. Exclusives are practically a given at that point though.

People argue that VR is a PC gaming peripheral, not a platform, so it should be treated with some kind of 'PC gaming rules', but the PC is just a stopgap for VR (there is NO convincing mass markets that they should get a gaming tower), and the industry will be better off the sooner it can cut that tether. At that point it's irrelevant what standards were set in the PC phase, everyone will write their own rules with their own platforms.

PC gamers as a group seem to be very vocal about concerns of bad ports, not getting ports at all, etc., but they're just proving to investors that they're not an audience worth cultivating. Really this is a chance to prove that the PC platform is worth ongoing VR investment, this is an audience who will be abandoned in the future otherwise.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

My biggest ergonomics wish would be for it to flip or slide up.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

IMO

Vive:

Pros, in loose order of significance:

Brighter (IMO the vive's greatest strength), vivid colors
Fov is a bit bigger
Large case playspace is better
longer hmd cable
Handles glasses well
Less apparent god rays

Cons, in loose order of significance:

Big bulky and heavy, with stupid straps
Limited to SteamVR games, a mostly bad indie game collection with little hope on the horizon
Tiny area of the screen is in focus
Lower effective resolution (less of the panel is being used)
Worse software environment, currently without ASW and ATW wasn't working well last time I tried
Laborious process to start up, headphones are a pain
overall stupid controller design, heavy
Cheap feeling construction and parts
They want you to mount the lighthouses, or you've got to use a tripod or just shelves if they're conveniently placed. In most cases transportation is a pain.
poo poo microphone

Oculus

Pros, in loose order of significance:

Light small and comfortable, with a good 'strap' system
Crisp, beautiful picture with lots of detail & higher effective resolution
wide area of the screen is in focus
Amazing controllers
Superb build quality
Semi-AAA software catalogue as well as SteamVR access
Great ease of use, and quick startup
Good software environment with amazing voodoo magic ASW
Extremely convenient headphones solution with generally good sound
Easy and flexible to set up tracking
Great microphone

Cons, in loose order of significance:

Dimmer picture
Smaller FOV
Less capable of (10+ ft)^2 playspaces
Glasses don't fit very well
HMD cable is shorter
God rays more apparent when applicable

I'd personally reccomend the Rift, with the caveat of giving it a try first if you always wear glasses. (I don't, but I think there's third party glasses-friendly foam, I don't know how well they work)

Fooz fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 8, 2016

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

The screen brightness isn't such a big deal as people claim. Humans can only tell relative brightness, not absolute. There's no physical way for any person on Earth to say "That screen is however many lumens" just by looking at it. Once you get into a headset and your eyes adjust to the brightness of the screen, you're not really going to notice. It's never been such a big difference that it bothers me even in rapid A/B testing. The colors may be a bit duller in the rift though.

Well I do notice it, the vive experience is more vibrant and impactful at first glance, where the rift gives a more demure impression. Once you settle in though, the rift just provides this stunning clarity and detail & looking at small things up close in it still blows my mind, while the Vive just frustrates me with a low res image and useless peripheral vision. You've got to pivot your head to glance at anything like an owl.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Rec Room was actually a bit socially intimidating for me when talking to strangers IRL generally isn't. Speaking was anyways, I didn't feel the need to leave but I didn't want to speak. Something about broadcasting my conversational voice weirds me out, but I never played much voicechat gaming. I guess it reminds me of the trauma of hearing your own voice in someone's candid video.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Played some Superhot with a friend, can confirm that it's sweet as hell.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Ah gently caress just missed it.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Waiting for next gen is reasonable, early adoption is just cosmic punishment for impatience. I also feel bad for the people who get into it thinking the Vive and all it's jank is the only option based on internet sentiment.

I think the big missing feature in VR (Vive most of all) is convenience. Lemming talked about this too, the process of going in and out of VR is way too annoying, and also drove me away from vive use. You want to use the desktop or acess your phone, or say hello to someone on a whim, a commitment to singular attention is just not reasonable to ask of someone just to use the platform.

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I can imagine that's better, I'm hesitant to rest the rift or vive on my forehead even because I don't want the lenses touching my skin or hair.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Theres at least a couple pretty good GearVR games.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Demoing VR is like 50% great fun and 50% silent "please don't be an idiot with my expensive stuff..." thoughts.

The great thing about superhot is you can beat a level, but you can always go back do it more badassly.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'm basically taking a SteamVR vacation until they have ASW.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I'd rather push SS and drop a few frames with ASW than ensure 90 native. Oculus has spoiled me with their software magic. Besides I've got plenty to do and Valve said they're working on ASW so waiting sounds like a fine call to me.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Fooz posted:

Ideally I'd like to have a set with the PSVR headstrap, but the HMD portion (preferably lighter and smaller) is on a spring loaded hinge, that swings down and clicks into place over they eyes. A button on the headset, and one on the controller would instantly flip the lenses up and away from your face. The whole front section could be removable too if you need to step away for a bit without having to redo the strap.

Someone's obviously been reading my posts and then making prototypes really quickly. But the hinge would be better on the top of the halo, on an arm. A bit short of the mark not to be able to look ahead, but still a big step up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Is there some reason that almost nobody has an issue with Steam's monopoly status?