Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

8one6 posted:

Honestly Loopoo if you don't have the space for standing experiences I'd recommend a Rift over a Vive and I'd say check out some of the seated experiences. Try out a driving game or the free pinball demo on Steam.

I'd say as far as driving games go, try a demo first if you can. I've had every iteration of the Rift since the DK1 (so a couple years of experience with VR) and when I tried European Truck Simulator in VR I got INSTANTLY sick as soon as I hit the brakes. Like so much so I had to exit the game immediately.

Now one of the reasons may be that I used the Logitech G27 steering wheel/pedals along with a frame they connect too that makes the driving position almost exactly as it would be in a car, so maybe that fact that my body position was so close to the real thing it, along with the visuals, exacerbated the fact that there was no sense of motion to go with it and my brain instantly tilted. Oddly enough it was only when braking. I did not get any sense of motion sickness when accelerating.

I mention the wheel setup as a possible factor since I play Elite Dangerous exclusively in VR mode (with a HOTAS, not the wheel) for hours at a time with zero issues, up too and including time in the planetary buggy. The only time I ever feel anything close to 'off' with that it if I end up rolling the buggy down the side of a kilometer+ crater/canyon.

So far the only other thing that make me queasy was spending about three hours in Google Earth VR with the comfort mode turned off, but it was worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

InevitableCheese posted:

This game will be played either be people going totally nuts, or people striving for absolute realism.

I will be striving for absolute realism in that I will rig up a device that violently ejects me from my seat whenever the station I'm assigned too sparks.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
I gotta say the Oculus store sucks in regards to sales. This morning I thought to myself now would be a good time to pick up Lone Echo and Superhot VR since it's Black Friday and surely everything on the site is on sale to some extent!

Nope. Neither one is. Ok, well, I enjoy a good dungeon crawl; I guess I'll give Mage's Tale a shot..

Not on sale.

What the everloving gently caress??

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Brightman posted:

All of those are in the collection pack 1 with some other games like space pirate trainer for $100. I think the others were I Expect You to Die, some RC car thing I haven't tried yet, and eagle flight something. If you want those three it's probably worth it. SPT and IEYTD are good too.

Edit: RC thing is Blaze Rush. Collection Pack 1

It also lowers the price if you already own some.

I appreciate the tip! My issue is that I've budgeted myself at $50 for VR titles during the rampant captialism holiday period. Figured with Lone Echo normally being $40 and Superhot $25 if they were both on sale I would likely be able to do both. Meh. I'll see if they do anything different on 'Cyber Monday' as was previously suggested, though I doubt it. If not I'll probably just get Lone Echo, since I've read both here and elsewhere that it ranks in the top 3 favorites among those that played it.

I had From Other Suns preordered, so I can romp in that some more over the weekend. Speaking of which, any goons playing that one on the reg? I have yet to co-op in it..

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Spruchy posted:

What's the consensus on Skyrim - sit or stand?

I sit and pretend my toon is zooming around in a daedric wheelchair.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Virtual Reality Megathread: Is there a VR game/app in which you can observe a horse? Nothing sexual

Picked up Beat Saber; smashed hand in to desk so hard blood was spilled. 10/10

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Hellsau posted:

Why is your desk full of blood?

There are some things one should never tell..

Beat Saber update: Expert can gently caress right off. That mode should come with both a medical warning and firm instructions on making certain there are no pets in the room with you.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
I would also recommend 'Life of Pi' in 3D, as it was actually filmed using the 3D cameras Cameron used/invented for Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

Mang Tomas posted:

And another For No Man Sky: how is the performance? Any tips of getting it to run well? (On rift s with i9 9900k and a 1080ti)

Been hearing a lot of conflicting reports from it’s performance from being dogshit with a 2080ti to ok.

I posted the following in the NMS thread. I have an i7-4990k, Titan X, and 32 gigs 'o memory and it ran like dried poo poo upon my first attempt. After it crashed while in the Nexus I looked at the Steam forums to see what people were saying and found the following:

Some person on Steam posted:

Alright, people. I got it to run smooth without reprojection. Previously, reprojection was constantly active.

1070GTX
Ryzen 2700
etc etc

The problem isn't your system, (probably), it's that the game is NOT running in direct mode. That means your desktop settings will effect the game, including resolution and frame rate (when using v-sync). This will likely be patched. For now, here's how to get around the problem:

Go into your GPU control panel and force v-sync off. Your VR game is being locked to your desktop monitors refresh-rate, and if this is lower than your VR headset's refresh rate it causes reprojection to kick in all the time.

Then, go into the games graphics settings. Switch the game to fullscreen, and start reducing the resolution. By default the game is rendering at your desktop resolution, so you could be forcing a very high SS without knowing it, especially if your running a 4K or 1440p monitor. It does seem like the resolution is per-eye, even though it should be full-field. The vives per-eye resolution is 1080x1200, but you can't select that resolution so just set it close to that (or higher if you want SS).

Next, make sure the games maximum frame-rate option matches the hz of your VR headset. For the Vive, set it to 90. May as well disable v-sync here as well.

Now your game wont be locked to a refresh-rate lower than your headset, and you can adjust your resolution up and down to match your desired SS... kinda.

Enjoy!

Worked like a charm. There still some hitching when landing on planets, but other than that it's smooth sailing.