Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
"Hey guys, I got a vive! "
*plays pavlov*
"I don't know guys, this is making me sick..."
*plays a first person game where someone else is looking around wildly*
"There's no hope for me, got to return it! "

So goony!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

lmao I played more than Pavlov. I didn't buy Pavlov until 3 days after getting the Vive. Just being in VR made me feel ill, even with teleporting locomotion.

and the first person game example was me just making a point that I'm a weak human being that can't handle motion sickness at all. I returned it today, but I'm not gonna forget the feeling I had when I first put it on. It was incredible. I'm just gonna buy it when there's a price drop and tough out the VR sickness.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Loopoo posted:

lmao I played more than Pavlov. I didn't buy Pavlov until 3 days after getting the Vive. Just being in VR made me feel ill, even with teleporting locomotion.

and the first person game example was me just making a point that I'm a weak human being that can't handle motion sickness at all. I returned it today, but I'm not gonna forget the feeling I had when I first put it on. It was incredible. I'm just gonna buy it when there's a price drop and tough out the VR sickness.

Never try to tough out VR sickness, you will only make it worse, potentially to the point you need to lie down and do nothing for a long while.

Instead, if you know you can only handle 5 minutes, play for 5 minutes and then take it off. After a while you will be able to handle 10 minutes, then 20 minutes, then etc.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Yeah my biggest issue going into it was I didn't even know it was possible to get motion sickness. I thought the worst that could happen is you fall over cause you get unbalanced. I got symptoms of motion sickness but ignored it cause I didn't realise it was an actual thing. I definitely had to lie down after that and it stuck with me for a solid few hours.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

InevitableCheese posted:

My Vive comes in today, and I've already dropped $200 on games. Weeeeeeee
pro move

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Honestly Loopoo if you don't have the space for standing experiences I'd recommend a Rift over a Vive and I'd say check out some of the seated experiences. Try out a driving game or the free pinball demo on Steam.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Loopoo posted:

Yeah my biggest issue going into it was I didn't even know it was possible to get motion sickness. I thought the worst that could happen is you fall over cause you get unbalanced. I got symptoms of motion sickness but ignored it cause I didn't realise it was an actual thing. I definitely had to lie down after that and it stuck with me for a solid few hours.

Someone here suggested ginger and it legit helped me out. Turns out it has a lot of studies supporting it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/health/21real.html

Now I keep some ginger candy chews on me for when I take Uber rides and stuff too.

Edit: First and foremost you really should get your IPD dialed in though. I walked in to a eyeglasses store and said "hey I got a VR thing, can I pay you 10 bucks to check my IPD" and the guys hooked me up for free. They are suspicious if you just ask for your IPD outright because some people want their IPD so they can turn around and get glasses from China, but if you explain the VR thing they'll probably help you. Turned out I was at the Rift's narrowest setting, I had no idea because my eyes seem above average proportions?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 23, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Zero VGS posted:

Edit: First and foremost you really should get your IPD dialed in though. I walked in to a eyeglasses store and said "hey I got a VR thing, can I pay you 10 bucks to check my IPD" and the guys hooked me up for free. They are suspicious if you just ask for your IPD outright because some people want their IPD so they can turn around and get glasses from China, but if you explain the VR thing they'll probably help you. Turned out I was at the Rift's narrowest setting, I had no idea because my eyes seem above average proportions?

At least in the US your optometrist has to give you your IPD if they gave you an eye exam. I know they don't want to give it to you but I also don't want to pay hundreds of dollars because one company seems to own all the glasses frame brands in the world. Tough poo poo, be like Costco and sell affordable frames and maybe people won't want to pay 20 bucks for the same thing probably made on the same line that places charge $300+.

But yeah, make sure your IPD is what it should be for adjustment it is important to be as right as you can be.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there

Sintax posted:

pro move

To be fair I've played VR games of others and never had trouble with motion sickness.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

InevitableCheese posted:

To be fair I've played VR games of others and never had trouble with motion sickness.
Only noobs get motion sick, loading up on VR titles to play as soon as u get it is the thing to do. People keep saying Pavlov gives the worst sickness, but I've never even had an inkling of nausea or discomfort playing that game. Some others make me feel a little weird, but I don't think it's a concern for most people. Enjoy!!!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I feel like I had to get "VR legs" at first through stuff like Dirt Rally and Empire of the Dying Sun that were seated but had a lot of looking around and what not, and the only thing that made me actually sick was when I tried "Waifu Sex Simulator" as a joke and going oh god what is this nightmare fuel to see just what I could handle.

Also helps to be barefoot on carpet as a sort of tactile reminder to your brain of where you are in real reality.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

8one6 posted:

Honestly Loopoo if you don't have the space for standing experiences I'd recommend a Rift over a Vive and I'd say check out some of the seated experiences. Try out a driving game or the free pinball demo on Steam.

I'd say as far as driving games go, try a demo first if you can. I've had every iteration of the Rift since the DK1 (so a couple years of experience with VR) and when I tried European Truck Simulator in VR I got INSTANTLY sick as soon as I hit the brakes. Like so much so I had to exit the game immediately.

Now one of the reasons may be that I used the Logitech G27 steering wheel/pedals along with a frame they connect too that makes the driving position almost exactly as it would be in a car, so maybe that fact that my body position was so close to the real thing it, along with the visuals, exacerbated the fact that there was no sense of motion to go with it and my brain instantly tilted. Oddly enough it was only when braking. I did not get any sense of motion sickness when accelerating.

I mention the wheel setup as a possible factor since I play Elite Dangerous exclusively in VR mode (with a HOTAS, not the wheel) for hours at a time with zero issues, up too and including time in the planetary buggy. The only time I ever feel anything close to 'off' with that it if I end up rolling the buggy down the side of a kilometer+ crater/canyon.

So far the only other thing that make me queasy was spending about three hours in Google Earth VR with the comfort mode turned off, but it was worth it!

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I started VR with Assetto Corsa and iRacing, both gave me the sensation of falling with my eyes closed but open when driving in reverse or spinning out. I had minor headaches and feeling hot for the first couple weeks, but the sickness caused by backwards motion took a while to get used to.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Fooz posted:

I wonder if people will be running around like crazy people in fields and parking lots with standalone sets?
Don't let wires hold you back!

( by Simon Stålenhag)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Assetto Corsa is fine except when I crash or back up, those two things mess with me quite a bit, but only momentarily. I don't have the touch controls, so haven't messed with room scale yet, tho I've spent a few hours testing the Vive roomscale stuff without any ill effects.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Re sickness: I had a Vive for months before I felt strong enough to play games like Pavlov (ok, pavlov didn't exist back then, but still, it took me quite a while before trying intense experiences). VR legs and motion sickness isn't necessarily something you get over in 3 days.

At its worst I couldn't even stand the smell of the plastic from the HMD as it would trigger my nausea. I'm still not "over" motion sickness, Climbey is pretty intense still. But I can play Onward like a champ, even when it bugs out and lags down to 45 fps.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Loaded up everything last night, and as expected didn't get any sickness. Tried Pavlov this morning, and although it was a slight "Whoa" when I first moved, after finishing the tutorial I was fine. Sickness was the only thing I was worried about, so I'm glad it's all good there.

Climbey activates my fear of heights slightly, especially when I miss a jump and fall.

It's interesting that my brain waking up this morning feels like it wasn't at home at all last night, I have that feeling of having "been somewhere".

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fooz posted:

I wonder if people will be running around like crazy people in fields and parking lots with standalone sets?

I can definitely see counter-strike type games happening in repurposed gyms. Since you can't see your feet or obstacles on the ground you kind of need a flat surface, at least until inside out tracking matures. Maybe would work on very flat outdoor surfaces like baseball fields or AstroTurf football fields. But inside out VR counter strike is totally going to happen.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Hadlock posted:

I can definitely see counter-strike type games happening in repurposed gyms. Since you can't see your feet or obstacles on the ground you kind of need a flat surface, at least until inside out tracking matures. Maybe would work on very flat outdoor surfaces like baseball fields or AstroTurf football fields. But inside out VR counter strike is totally going to happen.

I have seen stuff like this popping up in the way of VR lounges in Canada. It will be interesting to see if these kinds of things take off.

Newfie fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 24, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's also The VOID, who do it by building physically matched real and virtual environments.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

InevitableCheese posted:

Climbey activates my fear of heights slightly, especially when I miss a jump and fall.

Get a good city skybox, just search for high resolution panoramic spheres on google images and plug it into the right folder. Some maps will give me that psychomatic pins and needles pain on the bottom of your foot from being up so high.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Walrus posted:

Get a good city skybox, just search for high resolution panoramic spheres on google images and plug it into the right folder. Some maps will give me that psychomatic pins and needles pain on the bottom of your foot from being up so high.

You might just have diabetes.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Sublevel Zero is one of those "Seriously, why is this not VR" titles and it's finally going to happen on July 13 when it relaunches as Sublevel Zero: Redux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn8QKHj27Og

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

There's also The VOID, who do it by building physically matched real and virtual environments.

Actually now that I think about it, the right kind of parking lot or parking garage would be perfect for something like this. The ground is already painted with a convenient pattern for tracking position in space. You could draw large rocks, trees, shrubs etc to keep people from walking over wheel stops, light posts, etc. Even if the ground is sloped, it's usually at an even grade.

You'd probably want to paint some unique CV glyphs in the corner somewhere, so that users could sync up the game map with reality, reliably.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Star trek bridge crew is next week :toot:

Who's in?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lemming posted:

Who's in?

Ready on the bridge, Number 1!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Rastor posted:

Sublevel Zero is one of those "Seriously, why is this not VR" titles and it's finally going to happen on July 13 when it relaunches as Sublevel Zero: Redux.

Neat, but gosh I dislike a vast majority of chiptunes style of music I've come to realize.

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Lemming posted:

Who's in?

Is there a thread for this?

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

Thanks, Danny.
Heads up that Superhot VR is now on the steam store for native Vive support.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone had any luck with getting a decent framerate in the Rift (or Vive) with IL-2: Battle for Stalingrad? I tried putting it all on low and still getting only like 40FPS.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Lemming posted:

Who's in?

This game will be played either be people going totally nuts, or people striving for absolute realism.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lemming posted:

Who's in?

Captain's log, stardate: 2505201.7. I've never trusted Klingons, and I never will. Time to blow some up in VR.

Newfie posted:

Is there a thread for this?

Yes, the Virtual Reality Megathread, a thread for all Virtual Reality related discussion including VR related games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

InevitableCheese posted:

This game will be played either be people going totally nuts, or people striving for absolute realism.

Yes, the absolute realism of Klingons and Warp Speed.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, the absolute realism of Klingons and Warp Speed.

He probably meant authenticity, so like playing on the original Enterprise and the captain sexually harassing everyone

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

He probably meant authenticity, so like playing on the original Enterprise and the captain sexually harassing everyone

In that case I'll be HR Violation Sulu

TheMirage
Nov 6, 2002
The secret the good fps in IL2 is to bind a key to disble the HUD. Only toggle it on when you need it. Disabling the HUD should give you about a 30fps boost depending on your hardware .

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit

InevitableCheese posted:

I will be striving for absolute realism in that I will rig up a device that violently ejects me from my seat whenever the station I'm assigned too sparks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rastor posted:

Huh? I've been playing it in VR for months.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

homeless snail posted:

Huh? I've been playing it in VR for months.

AIUI there was minimal VR support but it will be more official and work betterer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheMirage posted:

The secret the good fps in IL2 is to bind a key to disble the HUD. Only toggle it on when you need it. Disabling the HUD should give you about a 30fps boost depending on your hardware .

Oh, poo poo. Well I'll have to give that a try then.

EVERSPACE is out on Steam with VR support, I'll check it out and come back with a trip report: http://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 26, 2017