Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Welp gonna add that to my VR workout routine of Gorn/Soundboxing/Thrill of the Fight, so this headset is definitely hosed (I already get IMU issues when I get too hot and sweaty)

Also can you really not change the grip angle in Arizona Sunshine?

The first thing I did when the main character started talking was try to shoot myself so I think this is gonna be a refund

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

edit: "FORM" is spectacular as well, though less well priced currently. Would highly recommend them both for a trippy VR day doubleheader

Ah man that looks pretty cool, too bad it's not on sale :[

With the summer sale ending soon I figured I'd throw together a list of stuff I've heard recommended itt that isn't already in the OP (even PSVR and unreleased titles cause why not)

edit: I defaulted crossplatform links to steam store pages since Rift owners can buy it there and run it through SteamVR instead of locking it to the Oculus Store. Vive owners can generally run Oculus Exclusives with Revive but check this list in case you need to disable async reprojection or whatever

Apps/Social:
Google Earth VR
Star Trek: Bridge Crew - (PC/PSVR crossplay)
Werewolves Within - (PC/PSVR crossplay)
Iron Wolf VR
Rec Room - (Free, PC crossplay)
VRChat - (Free, PC crossplay)
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - (PSVR supported)

Vehicles:
DiRT Rally - (PSVR supported)
Eagle Flight - (PSVR supported)
X-wing VR Mission - (PSVR exclusive, requires Battlefront)
Everspace

Exploration/Adventure:
Portal Stories VR - (requires Portal 2)
Narcosis - (Horror)
A Chair In a Room: Greenwater - (Horror)
Scanner Sombre
The Solus Project
Obduction
FORM
Detached
Subnautica
Wilson's Heart - (Oculus exclusive)
Edge of Nowhere - (Oculus exclusive)
Lone Echo - (July 20, Final Echo Arena Beta July 6-10) - (PC crossplay)

Novelty/Unique:
Rick and Morty VR
The Unspoken - (Oculus exclusive)
Minecraft VR / Vivecraft
Richie's Plank Experience
Lathe Safety Simulator
Surgeon Simulator VR - (PSVR supported)
Arkham VR - (PSVR supported)
Catlateral Damage - (PSVR supported)
Darknet - (PSVR supported)
Statik - (PSVR exclusive)

RPG
The Mage's Tale - (Oculus exclusive)
Vanishing Realms
VR Dungeon Knight
Fallout 4 VR - (Q4 2017)

Shooters:
Robo Recall - (Free, Oculus exclusive)
SuperHot VR
Resident Evil 7 VR - (PSVR exclusive, Horror)
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades - (aka H3VR)
Quell 4D
Pavlov VR
Doom 3 BFG - VR mod
Doom VFR - (Q4 2017)
Onward
Raw Data
Serious Sams
Bullets and More VR - (Free Demo) - Technically designed for PVP but I'm surprised how much mileage I'm getting out of this due to PVE workshop content and the dev keeps adding guns
Arizona Sunshine - (PSVR supported)
Lethal VR - (PSVR supported)
Until Dawn: Rush of Blood - (PSVR exclusive, Horror)
Farpoint - (PSVR exclusive, best bundled with Aim controller)
The Art of Fight/Hover Junkers - are dead? confirm/deny?
Aeon? Compound? Bullet Sorrow? Sairento VR? - not sure if they have the goon seal of approval, have not personally tried much

"Fitness"/Melee/make u sweat:
Climbey - (Free Demo)
The Climb
To The Top
Holoball
The Golf Club VR
Fruit Ninja VR - (PSVR supported)
Gorn - (July 10) - Early prototype still free on itch.io
Gladius
Deus Vult
The Thrill of the Fight
Knockout League

Music/"Videos"
Audioshield
Soundboxing
Rez Infinite - (PSVR exclusive)
Thumper - (PSVR supported)
Fantasynth - (Free)
The Chainsmokers Paris VR - (Free, PSVR exclusive)

I know I'm missing a lot, what else is worth checking out? Anybody got recommendations on archery games (there are almost too many to try)?

SwissCM posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Virtual Reality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ly2j3rCyg28

lmao i'm dead

box me up and ship me home with an hmd on my head so I can VR in the afterlife

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 3, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yeah I think I'm just gonna bite the bullet and buy my first $50 VR game since RE7, dangit

self control..slipping...

Cojawfee posted:

If you want to throw links to each game, I'll replace the game section with your post. Some of the games listed there are bad and dead now.

I'd be happy to, just give me a bit (also want to see what else people add to the list)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Anybody got recommendations for VR stocks with bottom mounted magnets? I'm looking at this but $80 sort of gives me pause when knucks are already floating around. (Any devs here hear haiere scuttlebutt on ETA? Q4? Q1?)

PerrineClostermann posted:

:wtc: Aiming at poo poo in real life and hitting them is pretty hard. That's all I'm saying. The original post sounded kinda like he was implying it's easier to hit stuff IRL than in games. Might not be what he was implying, in which case sorry?

His first post was just talking about aiming and pointing your hand/an object at something (a very natural human act, we are pretty good at it) vs mousing a crosshair over it. You seemed to be talking about shooting a handgun bigger than a 22 accurately and rapidly down the sights on the move on a controlled range which yes, takes more way more practice than skeet shooting or shouldering a rifle or drunkenly plinking stuff in a backyard. Hopefully that clears things up

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

rage-saq posted:

That's actually a top mounted (of the controller) stock. I know some people that have them and they are ok. However, one big thing with top mounted solutions is that they cause tracking problems by occluding sensors. Combine this with the fact that you are going to be pulling the controllers fairly close to your face you compound the occlusion issue.
The protube is really the way to go in my opinion, the bottom mounted setup *looks* like it's an odd choice for simulating a rifle in VR but in reality you can't see it once your headset is on and it ceases to matter.
The protube creator is planning on getting his hands on a knuckles and figuring out a way to make new cups that fit the knuckles and you'll be able to order just the cups.

Sorry I should've been more clear, I meant top-of-controller and bottom-of-stock which I realize is a dumb way to call it, but either way drat thanks for the info, didn't think about occlusion. I guess my biggest worry is smacking the offhand controller into the tube while reloading in a hurry, hrmm

It seems pretty difficult to figure out cups for the knuckles but if he can do it and sell an easy upgrade that would be really awesome. Might just get the protube and call it a day.

Also lol https://uploadvr.com/oculus-touch-wearing-glove/

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

rage-saq posted:

Yep, with a good stock it's really easy to quickly put the controller in / take it out while playing.
https://youtu.be/uO85Rraih6Q

Nice, got any clips of you reloading?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Cool, so the cups are just tension right? Smush it down until it feels solid enough?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

metztli posted:

While VR in one's undies makes undeniable sense, I wound up setting up a rig by screwing a couple of hooks into one of the rafters in my space, attached a pair of retractable dog leashes a couple of feet apart, and then ran the cable through that. Only problem is that I only have really light weight leashes, so the retracting mechanism isn't strong enough to pull the cord up all the way, but it was still 10x better than it was. Once I replace the leashes with stronger ones it should be amazing.

Keep us updated-- I'm way more physically active than the average VR player and keeping track of the cord is the #1 most annoying thing. I was thinking of something like this too, might even attach it to my Subpac

metztli posted:

I also got Soundboxing and Gladius, figuring those look fun as hell and should help me get an upper body workout. Anyone recommend anything that engages the legs, maybe a dance/rhythm game? I guess that would be hard to track (unless they make trackers for your ankles?) but maybe something that makes you crouch or something a lot.

Again, just remember that 99% of VR devs and players are extremely lazy and play even melee games standing stock straight up. Get in a goddamn crouch, get into the goddamn game, play it like you're a goddamn gladiator and it is 1000000% more fun.

I had a great VR moment yesterday where a bad guy in Gladius spawned weird and got pushed up into the crowd bleachers, so I sprinted forward and leapt 3 feet in the loving air and cut his god damned legs off :black101:

edit: If you haven't played Onward/Pavlov/FPS games, try those too, your crouching gets tracked so you can work dem thighs busting sick nasty 720 dropshots

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that sucks about VR is it kind of needs that cross play. VR needs something to help it thrive, but at the same time you could never balance that with someone using a M&K or controller.

I'd love to see a Battlefield style game where the troops or other roles are played in 2D, while planes and tanks or whatever are operated by VR players. Imo that would be rad.

Well Payday 2 is going to allow crossplay between VR and non-VR players, and it's co-op, so that should be fun

mellowjournalism fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 4, 2017

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh and don't forget Gorn. And Superhot. Crouching is rewarded and they're also 100% must-plays at this point.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Echo Arena is insanely good. Def practice in the side rooms before jumping into a game though

metztli posted:

That said, I'm not a huge fan of FPSs, and probably would be less so when it comes to VR - seriously, my fight or flight kicks in so hard that it becomes intensely uncomfortable to play most of them. Gorn is cartoony enough that I didn't stress, and since Gladius looks more or less like that, except slightly less absurd graphics, it's about the level I can handle. I might try Superhot since that's also not terribly realistic and you can more or less slow it down by not moving.

Really, games like Climbey and such are more my speed - PvE instead of PvP, and not so much a hostile environment at that, but one that instead is just challenging to navigate.

Awesome stuff with the retracting rig, gonna redo my room setup soon so you've given me a lot of food for thought.

Definitely start with Superhot because you can take allllll the time you want to plan out john woo's human jenga. To be clear, you're not just slowing it down, the entire world is frozen if you're not moving.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

Getting used to Sairento's lack of polish again after playing Robo Recall took some adjusting to, but man I probably count that game as one of the best "actual" games available at the moment. By that I mean that it's quick to load, easily replayable, and solid fun that doesn't wear out its welcome or become gimmicky quickly.

I love its movement controls and how easy it is to launch across rooms, double jump and wallrun. It's hard not to feel like a badass with full locomotion at 100 movespeed, dual wielding plasma blades and hacking up a ton of mooks - it's just a solid power fantasy that really shines in VR because you're aiming the guns and flailing like a moron with the swords.

Again, lack of polish is the real bugbear with the game. Melee doesn't really have much impact if you're not using plasma blades, enemy animations can sometimes snap and clip in awkward ways and there's just a general budget feel to things. The devs are doing a good job of keeping it updated regularly so that's encouraging to see.

Is Raw Data worth playing as a solo gamer? I hear a lot of praise but it's largely from co-op people, something I'm not really into unless it's with friends. How does it compare to Sairento and Robo Recall?

I'm still running through my summer sale haul to pick out the refunds (trying to make sure I give everything at least a second chance, but holy poo poo these adventure games voiced by Game Dev And His Wife are testing my patience) and I gotta say the jumping/wallrunning/sliding of Sairento is just awesome. Not sure if any other game has it so it really stands out in a sea of wave shooters that are getting increasingly irrelevant in the face of Robo Recall. And the main thing Robo's missing is swords.

I uninstalled Aeon after a couple minutes, the Bullet Sorrow demo was unimpressive enough for me to not even try the full game, and...I really dunno about Raw Data. I will try to run out my 1:59 hours before refunding but I really dunno. Robo just shits all over it and the swording doesn't compare to Sairento at all when you can't jump/wallrun/slide while slicing baddies up. The big upcoming feature they're promoting is PVP but...I can only assume everyone will be teleporting? :goleft:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

iceaim posted:

Raw Data is pretty drat polished and I don't personally agree that Robo Recall shits all over it. I think both games are amazing and Raw Data has the advantage of having both coop and pvp multiplayer while Robo Recall is a bit more polished due to Facebook money and has some very cool mechanics of its own.

Personally I advocate owning both games, but that's just me.

Right on, although I'll say in these dark ages of VR I don't really care about polish at all, I just care about what I can do in the engine. Robo sounds and looks nice but it's the creative comboing and the interaction with the enemies that keeps me coming back.

I just played some more Raw Data and deflecting bolts back with the sword was cool. What else is there? And do you know if they're going to add free locomotion? It looked like there was some in the PVP trailer.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Yup yup echo arena has me in the market for dog leashes

Time to expand my playspace yup yup

The Walrus posted:

Raw Data PVP beta goes live today too, but you need to own the game and opt in. From what I've heard about the closed beta it is extremely good and a killer app for VR. Overwatch inspired design apparently though I'm not sure how far that goes.

I'll be playing this and echo arena all day tomorrow, vr goons should meet up.

Ooh drat perfect timing, def gonna try this out. Gonna start adding folks in the discord too.

TheKnife posted:

Are there any VR games like Receiver yet? Something highly skill-based with pseudo-random content and intricate mechanics
Robo Recall is really cool as an FPS action kind of experience but it A) is way too easy, is it even possible to lose in this game? and B) feels like a bit of a "canned" experience compared to what I like in video games, as freeform as the combat is.

This is like what I was saying about people playing Superhot like a Videogame and then someone else wondering if there are games that make you crouch. You're in VR, your body is tracked relatively well, and you can interact with enemies in enough ways that the (virtual) world is your oyster.

Grab a bot. Dribble him for a little bit. Shoot his friends with your other hand in the style of a gangster, perhaps even with the gun upside down. Go crazy straw. When the gun's empty, slap him across the face a few times with it while inquiring about his mother, then throw the gun between your legs, bouncing it off the ground and into the bot sprinting in behind you to trip him. Rip the head and or arms off the bot you were dribbling and turn to babe ruth the poo poo out of the bot you just tripped before he hits the ground, then grab the gun that bounced off him (now reloaded) and send an angel a bullet :ssh: to meet him in the outfield for good measure. Duck the hail of bullets inevitably headed for you (or bat them away disdainfully with your gun) while picking two them out of the air like shiny cherries and throw them across your chest at dudes directly to your sides while leaning backwards and drunken master punching the bot coming up from behind in the nuts, then grab his gun and or leg and

Look into Bullets and More if you like Receiver and reloading guns manually, the dev responds and updates it like a crazy person and it has this weird little community churning out singleplayer content that really stretches the value of the game out (+ a barebones dungeon generator). When it was on sale for about $8 it was a steal imo.

Also Gorn.

Even janky VR is... better than a videogame. Right now the idea of "challenge" in VR is either going to be extremely narrow or asking to be cheesed. If you want to build and test a skill then try PVP (Pavlov, Onward) or let style be your guide! Don't restrict yourself to Videogame thinking!

Oh wow I had no idea, ty sir (this should go in the OP!)

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

One of the first things I did in Robo Recall was use the front handle on a bot to pull it down to its knees while I stood in front of it, pressed a gun to its head in a very deliberate fashion and pulled the trigger. It felt horribly brutal and incredibly satisfying as opposed to a canned animation, since you're the one responsible for all the events taking place.

Also when I play Gorn I do so in a very measured gladiator style with lots of blocking and parrying with my weapon, whereas my girlfriend is a flailing banshee and both styles work wonderfully. I can't wait to revisit it on the 10th

lmbo ok that''s brutal, going into the playbook.

I think I was real lucky that I first played Gorn right after learning all the movesets for the characters in For Honor because it got me to break out of my initial mode and act out completely different fight styles and attitudes. Just realized now I have to go in and do every character from Soul Calibur..

GI_Clutch posted:

Just played my first 45 minutes of Super Hot. It lived up to the name, and could even be called Super Sweaty. If I didn't have a habit of occasionally smacking the ceiling fan, it would be on right now. Maybe I need to bring a regular fan into the room.

I was going to play some echo arena last night but it was too hot for vr

you might even say it was

super hot

I'll let myself out

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

veni veni veni posted:

Have you gotten Farpoint yet Mellow? I want to hear your take on it. It just seems like you'd be so into it.

I cannot find the bundle anywhere :smith:

double priced resellers and hopeful driving for 40 miles to a walmart that might have it in the back does not count

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
It is really dumb they put The Unspoken free weekend on the same weekend as the Echo Arena beta but turns out no one can figure out how to even get in? I wanted to try it :(

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Lemming posted:

Echo Arena open beta was just extended to the 17th, Hail Satan

Oh nice that actually gives me time to check out The Unspoken free weekend which was blocked by a store bug. Still can't believe they chose the echo arena beta weekend to do it

Gendal posted:

The potentially good news is I got a suggestion on reddit to checkout my CC extended warranty, and whadda you know, I am supposedly covered. Never done this before, because again, never had such lovely service but who knows - it might actually work.

If it's any consolation I have been continually amazed by the slack credit card companies will pick up for you, definitely try it.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Has anyone in here had any horizon tilt issues with their Rift while building up a sweat? I've been having to use this stupid IMU calibration tool more and more often lately (undoubtedly because it's summer), and I basically can't play Knockout League or Thrill of the Fight (even Audioshield and Soundboxing) any more because it just goes 45 degrees on me. I realize 99% of people who own VR just stop playing when they get uncomfortable but I was really looking forward to getting good workouts with this thing
:smith:

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm personally using Rift these days for the nice screen (I just prefer it) and the Touch controllers until Knuckles come out, at which point I'll probably sell it and hopefully buy the LG hmd with that sweet welder hinge (if it's good) and sell the HTC and just keep the lighthouses. (I totally told my friend I'd send him the rift and... :effort:)

Nalin posted:

Not at all. Are your cameras moving around? If not, I would contact Oculus Support. It might be an RMA issue.

Nope, I always check too but they're solid, and I'm redoing sensor setup often to try to eliminate that variable. I'm not looking forward to cajoling Oculus into an RMA because gently caress me if they didn't give me the most obnoxious runaround last time I brought this up, stalling me for at least 2 weeks before sending me that exact tool all zipped up with a bunch of fancy talk when I had already found it on that page on day one. Judging by the Oculus forum threads about this issue with basically no official response, they very very obviously do not want to admit that this is a problem. Dark ages of VR I tell ya

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I saw a level 25 in echo arena last night

AgentF posted:

Those of you playing GORN, you need to play it to this music and tell me if it isn't 2x better. Glorious, brutal combat set to heavy metal is the only way to play it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaXzcTrY0Vg

Worrdd music is so huge in VR where you're moving your body as opposed to a sitdown game, it really stands out to me now when I try out a VR game that doesn't have good music to get you really going. The music loading up Robo Recall has me dancing immediately.

Also I tried The Unspoken for the free weekend and it's really well done, I like it. I just don't feel right spending $30 on the oculus store...we'll see what happens when Lone Echo comes out. Echo arena may be enough

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I kinda wish your wrist jets faced outward from your palms so you'd see everyone Iron Manning around instead of Supermanning everywhere

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

so apparently and surprisingly the 'vive and chill' aka the 25 dollar fans that blow on your forehead - is actually getting very good reviews. if you sweat a lot it seems like an essential purchase. I grabbed one and will post some impressions when I get it in august.

oh my god yes

Although I am loathe to pre-order hardware. I'll wait for your review.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Grey posted:

Nearly every thread on SA has people constantly making GBS threads on the topic.

lol what a bunch of scrubs

~open palm slams batgoggles onto head, enters 5 dfferent matrices~

~becomes david lynch~

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm glad I didn't refund Raw Data, the PVP update finally makes it worth what I paid for it. It's as basic as you'd imagine but considering how the only other options are Onward, Pavlov, and... well that's it, really. But they don't even have swords/arrows! Fun stuff.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
fwiw my glasses were too big for the Rift so I just got these (http://www.zennioptical.com/450021-metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge.html) for $10

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Oh man that's great. Thanks for the link, saved me getting a bunch of dog leashes lol. Anybody found a good 2-in-1 cable or cheap cables that are super thin? Mine are slightly different length and pretty thick and heavy.

moosecow333 posted:

Any tips on how I could reduce the 'pit in your stomach' feeling, or is this just a case of not having my VR Legs yet?

Swing your arms and step in place to mime walking. You'd be amazed how much any physical cue of "movement" to your brain helps. Also for the initial break-in phase, take liberal breaks, water, and ginger/Meclizine(nondrowsy dramamine)

EbolaIvory posted:

Part getting your VR legs, Part some poo poo will just do that.

Gonna say it's just getting your VR legs. My nausea used to be so bad I almost quit VR, now my VR legs are at the point that straight up nothing makes me queasy now. I think it's like when early FPSes first came out, those made (and still make! you'd be surprised by normies) people queasy too.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Bhodi posted:

but there's no reason to ever play raw data when you get robo recall for free

Just to be fair--because I also totally knocked raw data in the face of robo recall--they added PVP and I got physically teabagged by a ninja lady last night so that is an experience no other game can offer atm

Thats

adorable

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
To the people not having fun in Superhot, try playing it like tony hawk instead of COD? Watch an action movie beforehand?

For example I was just thinking the boss in Robo Recall was finally getting boring and then instead of ~optimally~ grabbing each rocket and pointing it back at him, I jumped in the air to grab a rocket as it passed by me and spun around midair 360 degrees slinging it around and back at him before landing and realized nope, VR still rules, it's Videogames that suck

Stick100 posted:

Having the wireless receiver + Xbone controller has been great for me. I'm currently playing Pyre on monitor using my Rift Xbone Controller + Wireless receiver. I used to have a Chinese knock off 360 wireless receiver, but it was a bit finicky to connect, just being able to press the button and connect the controller in less than 3 seconds every time is pretty awesome. After the Rift sale is over the price is going back from $399 to $499 and they are losing the Xbone controller and receiver (worth about $80)

Woah woah woah $80?? I would love to sell my Xbone controller/receiver for more than $40, drat, somebody buy it already :(

kaffo posted:

Thanks for the replies ladies

Maybe I was thinking too much into it?

I think you make a good point. I suppose the way I was thinking about it is: while you are doing the action part of the game, you should be feeling awesome. When you are at the shop buying ammo or having a cutscene, that's your downtime.

I also suppose another problem is we have a lot of wave based shooters right now, where the entire game is the action... And a menu screen.

Regardless, I think my game is pretty fun so far, and I think I'll have the bad rear end factor nailed down.

Also I need to try Robo Recall and Superhot endless, they both sound super fun!

What's your game like?

Reminder to everyone to check out the locomotion mod for Robo Recall, it has a superhot setting which is pretty sweet. And the glock/sawed off mods. And the trump mod.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Taintrunner posted:

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader VR was absolute nightmare fuel but absolutely one of the best things I've ever experienced for sheer "how the gently caress is this possible" amazement

How hard was this to set up? Nightmare purely in terms of motion sickness?

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Taintrunner posted:

Not at all! I didn't fiddle too much with the settings, but here's a PCGamer writeup: http://www.pcgamer.com/nintendo-games-can-work-shockingly-well-in-dolphin-vr/

The funny thing is that trying to do the Death Star level in Rogue Leader and having the game drawing in geometry on both edges of you was really distracting.

Ooh nice thank you, I'll try that out tonight. Also reminder to everyone that the fanmade "Battle for Endor" is pretty sweet too: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/12334/star-wars-battle-of-endor-updated-for-dk2-and-cv1

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

recommend some mods?

Locomotion V6: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50243/roborecall-locomotion-mod-v1
Uzi/Glock/Sawed Off: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50312/a-little-robo-recall-treat
Trump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8PPTDhOw14CVnNVNjBxZXZTdE0/view
Star Wars: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50700/robo-recall-star-wars-mod
Fortnite melee weapons: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x22ap/add_fortnite_weapons_mod_to_robo_recall_robo_file/

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Tom Guycot posted:

I decided to try out pavlov and I gotta say I'm really disappointed at how buggy and inconsistent the controls are. The game itself seems fun enough, but man I can't get the controls to act the same way twice and its really frustrating. Sometimes you let go of a gun and it falls, or gets thrown as it should, but then other times it sticks to you for no reason and you have to squeeze the grip again to drop it. The same goes for putting it back on your chest. Sometimes it works, sometimes it sticks there. Sometimes the trigger will just stay held down and the gun keeps firing. In the heat of a fight this becomes really aggravating when I want to grab my pistol quick and this time my rifle is stuck to my hand for example. I can't find any way to reliably reproduce any of this behavior it just seems to happen when it wants to happen.

Has anyone else had experience with this? I really want to like the game but... man.

Yeah it's pretty lame how inaccessible all the multiplayer FPS games are for vr and it's weird that no big developers have just flooded steam with lovely Pavlov/Onward clones to drive competition. In your particular case it's mostly the Pavlov dev not having a rift and making controls for it as an afterthought. The trigger getting stuck held down is in fact a bug but that gets 'unstuck' really easy. The main issue for everything else is that the design thinking for the controls is for vive wands-- whose grip buttons are made for clicking, not holding down like the ones on oculus touch. So on rift you spawn in with the gun autoattached to your hand, which is confusing, and then if you drop it or sling it and pick it back up, then you have to grip it the whole time, which is confusing and dumb as hell and what we're stuck with. Then he has stuff in the menu like "legacy grip" with absolutely no explanation of what that is.

I play this stupid game like every day. Dark ages of vr

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
With the rift you can actually just take an archery stance and it works great and is fun. If you anchor your dominant hand on your cheek, float your support hand out, and just point at stuff, you can get some really natural and stable shooting done without a stock. It's pretty fun particularly in Pavlov with the AK, where you can line up the rear sights just about perfect. You just make a habit of gluing the top of your hand to the bottom of your chin or cheek or whatever. Then with the other hand, once you grab the foregrip of the gun in-game, you can stretch it as far out as you want and the gun will stay gripped and point in the same direction.

All you're doing is making a cheekweld with your hand instead of a rifle stock by pantomiming shooting a bow/making a :bustem: pose

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

rage-saq posted:

Killing Floor: Incursion came out on the Oculus store today, I had not really heard of this game before, but I went and bugged some people about a few key things in their Discord channel and ended up pulling the trigger.
This game is dope as poo poo.
Take one part Gorn, one part Onward and one part Robo Recall, throw in some zombies and a decent single player game and you have Killing Floor: Incursion.
The graphics are good, the controls are great, its got both teleport and Onward style joystick locomotion (including snap turns), two handed melee AND two handed shotguns/rifles/etc.
I've only played a little bit of the single player so far, and I hear that its short, but its pretty good. I got my Protube on my sling all ready to get some assault rifles and poo poo and mow down some zombies, but honestly as soon as I found long melee weapons I just started going to town and never looked back. Also, Axe in one hand, pistol in another feels so loving good.
Its also got multiplayer but I haven't tried that yet.
This game really feels like the first big time VR release, its got a little bit of everything from all of the indie releases that aren't a whole lot more developed than tech demos and a hell of a lot more polish.

I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna get this anyway because I'm starved for some quality shootmans. But it sounds like they didn't do the 6 person survival wave thing like the normal games? ...why? I'm seeing reviews that say this is short and I just don't get why they would ditch an inherently replayable formula.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

lmao I don't care how many harnesses they wear, somebody is going to eat poo poo and break a nose, somehow

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Songbearer posted:

If anyone picked up 2spooky horror game >observer_ lately, there's apparently hidden VR support if you add -vr to the launch option. I don't have the game so I can't try this, but people report it works (to a point - it's not officially supported so expect jank) and that it looks really good. Surprised it wasn't already a feature in a game that's subject matter is "technology can be a horrible nightmare".

Holy poo poo that is great news, thanks! Was actually holding off for some kind of vr mod/support.

GutBomb posted:

Just a note for those of you excited about Vorpx: many of those games that "work" don't really work the way you expect. Some games your head movements emulate a mouse moving and the feeling is completely unnatural. Other games your head movement does nothing at all and you just keep looking forward. It's really janky and definitely not worth 40 loving dollars. Moving around in those games not meant for VR can also be really uncomfortable and downright vomit-triggering too.

Save your money and play games that were made for VR or have baked in VR modes and the few VR mods that are really good for older games like Doom 3.

While that warning is absolutely necessary for your average user, I have no problem just using my head as a mouse. I can even stand it without positional tracking. What I have a problem with is his big rear end list which is just a big rear end lie

Unless something is wrong with my setup, z3d rendering doesn't do poo poo on 99% of those games so Battlefields/Far Cries/Calls of Duty were just a 2d screen with lovely head tracking. I can stand the lovely head tracking. But holy poo poo listing all those games on the site and then not actually guaranteeing stereo 3d is some bullshit.

Where the hell is that Payday 2 VR beta dammit

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
lol at the "Take My Hand" locomotion

lmao at the whole thing

Songbearer posted:

Lemme know how that goes - I love the concept of Observer but I was in the same boat, holding out for VR. Apparently the devs love VR, so here's hoping for official support - I think it's a good candidate for it. I don't mind a little jankiness if the basic experience holds up so I'll grab it if you think it works out.

I'll post in here if I get it anytime soon, probably gonna get my PC upgraded first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-CYUJVYShU

Looks pretty good. I really love that it's a hidden mode and not an advertised feature because this would be a great trend for developers-- just put the most basic VR support into every game already, please. You can add comfort options and slick presentation later for chrissakes. It's like once VR is mentioned, everyone freaks out and before you know it, a fully fleshed out and proven game design is reduced to a 2 hour "experience" where I wander around inside half a game wishing I could actually play it. I get it, most people are still behind the sim sickness curve, but man part of all this slow adoption is because VR games are so thin and shallow.

Really hoping Fallout/Skyrim/Payday convince developers they're missing out on converting existing AAA games, and that Observer shows them you can just start with barebones functionality.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Did anybody get this? http://store.steampowered.com/app/408520/FORM/

Terrific Accident posted:

From Reddit, but it looks like you'd have to go through some steps and use third party mapping software. https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/61j9ib/how_to_use_the_oculus_touch_controllers_as_an/

Or buy my xboxtroller!

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Love playing pavlov on e1m1 and the duke nukem map

I figured out how to reload while double fisting sawed offs and it is hilarious and fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Also capacitive 'finger tracking' (binary and for three digits) is ok but hardly game changing.

Na man it's about being in VR without having to be constantly holding on to something

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Onward and Breach It are particularly great.

Woah woah woah people play Breach It? Steamdb stats say 2 in the last 24 hrs and 24 all-time. What's the largest group you've seen and when?