Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Famethrowa posted:

Seeing a dude you enjoy get in twitter slapfights is just a little embarrassing is all. And he does it a lot.

Twitter in general is just a bad idea.

Yeah and he was getting salty about people joking about their pronunciations and then went into a whole thing about how their podcast is harder to make than a lot of others because they read a book. And like...sure, but a) that doesn't mean other podcasts are worse and b) chill the gently caress out.

He seems like a super nice guy and he's funny, but yeah sometimes twitter isn't really the best platform for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh for sure. And he's even got a good sense of humor about it on the podcast, but the response on twitter was not very pleasant.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh word? I didn't see the offending tweets, so if it's actually tenacious insufferable douchebags flooding his mentions then fair enough.

Anyway, episode was dece but you can tell there wasn't really a huge amount for them to work with. Hopefully we're back to true crap in the next episode!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Your way works too posted:

There is already super offensive poo poo in that book you don't have to invent. Like the book's proof that the futuristic society is post racial being that Ender calls a black kid the N-word and the black kid is not offended.

Holy poo poo I don't remember this at all. Anyone have the book around to quote it?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Man how in the hell did I not remember that? It's insanely egregious.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Spark That Bled posted:

I think the part about the ICP's wrestling career was the best part of the episode, myself.

Yeah. I don't care about wrestling but the anecdotes and history were really funny and hearing knowledgeable people explain things they know in an engaging way is almost always fun.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Have I been listening to the wrong podcast this whole time?

I think it's possible that forums poster "rumble in the bunghole" is slightly desensitized to unpleasant content.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The episode is pretty good, I just wish they would edit their eps down to under an hour. I might've even said it here before, but there aren't many podcasts that I want to listen to for an hour and a half straight and this isn't one of them at this point. The last few episodes I've stopped halfway through to listen to something else then finished it later, which isn't a way I like to listen to things.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Nemico posted:

I love long podcasts so to each their own v:shobon:v

Yeah that's definitely a personal preference, but I absolutely feel that 45 minutes or less is the best for most podcasts, particularly when they're focused on a single subject. I guess it also doesn't help that I like Collision a whole lot better as a podcast guest than co-host. I understand that it's a lot easier to make a podcast without having to get a guest every time, but rotating co-hosts with JW as the anchor was a lot more fun. Again, personal taste. Collision is good but I don't find him as entertaining episode after episode after episode.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Djeser posted:

I listen to three hour podcast episodes of dithering nerds talking about individual dark souls levels, get on my level :unsmigghh:

Sure, tell me the podcast name and I'll get in on it. I just caught up on my podcast backlog and I loving love Dark Souls. I like Don't Give Up Skeleton if you've listened to that.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Oh yeah they've mentioned that one a bunch on DGUS. I'll check it out!

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Collision has been rubbing the wrong way for a long while but his hot take on Starship Troopers was nigh insufferable. Is this persona genuine or has he simply driven his schtick too deep?

Collision would be so much better as a semi-regular guest. He’s fine and even fun in smaller doses but he has gotten tiresome over the last year or so. I loved in early episodes when it was still just JW and rotating guests because he’s a solid anchor and guests provide more variety. He and Collision are a little too similar for long-term co-hosts.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I like Collision just fine, I just don't think he's a great long-term cohost for this podcast.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Last Action Hero, Cable Guy, and Starship Troopers are like the holy trinity of 90s movies that weren't that great but have had people hailing them as underrated gems almost since the day they came out on the grounds that people didn't get that they were satires. And it's like, OK but whether or not people didn't get that these were supposed to be satire that doesn't make them any better as films.

Yeah exactly, people who missed the boat on both the satire and the movie quality are double-dumb

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

What the fuuuck, that's him?? I left Night Vale by the wayside a long time ago but I love this song and that episode.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, in one of the IDEOTV eps with Mara Wilson they discuss their experiences on WTNV and J mentions “writing a song about a bus.” I had the same reaction as you.

I've listened to every IDEOTV episode and didn't even catch that. Amazing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Agreed, Collision goes too hard in the ironic bad humor thing all the time.

If he just didn’t lean quite so hard into the terrible punchline it’d be better but he’s always had bad delivery on those jokes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I enjoy his bad delivery and I'm pretty sure it's intentional.

I’m positive it’s intentional but I don’t find it that funny.

I maintain that Collision would be an excellent semi-regular guest, but his shtick doesn’t fare well as a co-host over dozens of episodes. I still generally like the podcast, though!