Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
The continuing saga of Wild Animus has to be my favourite reoccurring part of the podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Star Wars The Force Awakens live episode is pretty excellent. I'd love to see a live show, though that's pretty unlikely for me, haha.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6mIQOem-CI

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Djeser posted:

Jesus loving christ I imagined his name was like Schuigel or something, I was not prepared for how dumb his name actually was even after hearing it

How do you type that out and decide that it's a cool, good name for your murdergimp?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

The existence of book trailers has always been baffling to me, publishers swear by it and cite marketing polls but it's always felt like a dying industry blindly grasping at whatever they can to look hip and relevant and everyone just playing along because they assume they know what they're doing. Having an entire companion film like this seems like the logical extension of that and I'm glad it seems to have crashed and burned.

Nah, books aren't dying. Moving to digital, sure but not dying. Book trailers, on the other hand are a surefire way to tell you that the book won't be worth reading at all.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I get the feeling that KJA works cheap and fast, what with all his awful Star Wars and Dune EU novels

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
:rip: the podcast, killed by a children's game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

padijun posted:

I somehow dodged the bullet on Ender's Game, should I read it? It's only 324 pages. I know you're Not Supposed to Read the Book, but I really enjoyed RPO for the exact reason J did: it's fun to scoff at dumb bullshit

Read the short story it's based on

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Famethrowa posted:

Read Ender's Game, then read the essay(ies) "Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman" or "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality", then re-read the book and be horrified at how creepy the book is.

Gives you an interesting perspective on how insidious fascist strains of thought can be.

edit: I haven't listened to the podcast yet, but I'm really glad they linked to "Innocent Killer". Excited to listen now.

Or you could just not read it twice

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

padijun posted:

the 90s were loving trash

Yup

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The term "virtue signalling" is a neo-nazi development, but I remember people getting angry af at macklemore and John Green for virtue signalling for years.

They weren't made about virtue signalling because it's a fake idea made up by neo-nazis.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

They totes were. I agree it's dumb and neo-nazis have raised it to a way of life, so gently caress it regardless

No, they weren't. Virtue Signalling isn't a real phenomena. It's a completely made up thing. It doesn't describe something that is real. It's a fake idea used to try to discredit and silence people raising issues. It isn't a thing that people who are real and alive do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

virtue signaling is a thing dude, but before nazis stole it it was about stuff like that joke about someone only donating to NPR to get the tote bag with NPR on it or something, the people who only support a cause to be seen supporting a cause and don't care about the actual ideals and poo poo.

No it isn't, because it was literally invented by neo-nazis. The term virtua signaling is literally something that neo-nazis invented.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

I'm not a huge James Bartholomew fan, or a fan at all, but calling him a nazi is a bit harsh.

Oh in an actual debate it amounts to an ad hominem accusation of bad faith, it should definitely be frowned upon in any kind of rational discourse where it's a good idea to have a basic level of charity and assume your interlocutor is at least arguing in good faith, which is what I think a lot of the knee-jerk anger at the term comes from. When any left-wing sentiment at all is seen as "virtue signalling" it makes it impossible to have a real conversation.

Yes, I agree that it's a worthless term invented whole-cloth by a hate-mongering tabloid.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

To be honest, I think it doesn't reflect well on their opinion of gay people if they expect them to melt away and die like the Wicked Witch if so much as a drop of The Wrong F Word meets their ears. Any time something "uncomfortable" comes up, it's like they think they're taking care of the boy in the bubble or something. It's just patronizing; if I were gay, I'd feel genuinely insulted.

I'm gay and I don't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
As someone who's been called a fag on the street I'd rather not hear it in my funnyman book podcast, thanks

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Dilbert Man is a real dumbass

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Sham bam bamina! posted:

A slur is a slur, but I think Fleta meant that Twain wasn't using it hatefully. It was part of the characters' dialect.

Yeah but not everyone is going to be comfortable using it on their podcast.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Heath posted:

I read the novelization of Sonic the Hedgehog once where it turns out Sonic's origin story is that he used to be brown and slow, and then science, which turned Robotnik evil and made Sonic blue. He ran around a lot and his uncle made better shoes for him.

I think that's just the plot of those bad archie sonic comics

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I only know about the book because of my high school using it as an example of plagiarism lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Maybe not plagiarism but it was used as an example of what not to do, I remember that much

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, it seems like they had it backwards- the book was sincere, the movie was satire. At least, thats what Ive heard.

The book is a military-worship political treatise disguised as action sci fi while the book is a satirical take on the same thing.

Heinlein is an awful writer, despite his influence on the genre.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The book is dogshit, 9/10ths of it are just characters dryly reiterating about how the military is the best thing ever and how the military should run everything and how the military's enemies are awful monsters that need to be exterminated.

There's absolutely no satire in the novel.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Not intentionally. It's been decades since I read it but if I remember correctly the hero nukes a church in the first chapter and burns fleeing intelligent aliens to death.

I read the book again a couple years back and the church scene is a grim "I did what I had to do to kill those commies aliens" thing without an ounce of examination. Then, almost the entire rest of the book is characters talking about how cool the military is.
There's absolutely no satire in the book and it tries very, very hard to convince the reader that the military is great.

Paul Verhoeven actually experience war up close while Heinlein enlisted and left during peace time and it really shows.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

In interviews he literally brought up the costumes, and explained that Americans didn't get that his Nazis were Nazis. It's a fine vagina-bug movie, but the satire is juvenile. I mean, maybe I'm asking too much for the man who brought us Showgirls to be more subtle but whatever.

quote:

Paul Verhoeven, director
Robert Heinlein’s original 1959 science-fiction novel was militaristic, if not fascistic. So I decided to make a movie about fascists who aren’t aware of their fascism. Robocop was just urban politics – this was about American politics. As a European it seemed to me that certain aspects of US society could become fascistic: the refusal to limit the amount of arms; the number of executions in Texas when George W Bush was governor.

It’s an idiotic story: young people go to fight bugs. So I felt the human characters should have a comic-book look. Mark Wahlberg and Matt Damon auditioned, but I was looking for the prototype of blond, white and arrogant, and Casper Van Dien was so close to the images I remembered from Leni Riefenstahl’s films. I borrowed from Triumph of the Will in the parody propaganda reel that opens the film, too. I was using Riefenstahl to point out, or so I thought, that these heroes and heroines were straight out of Nazi propaganda. No one saw it at the time. I don’t know whether or not the actors realised – we never discussed it. I thought Neil Patrick Harris arriving on the set in an SS uniform might clear it up.

Gee whiz maybe he was trying to make a point about Americans or something

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Verhoeven, a simpleton: "We dressed up american action heroes as nazis to make a point about fascism and america's foreign policy"
Drunkboxer, super genius: "I already know Nazis are bad, checkmate"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

Yeah my point is it's hamfisted and dumb.

It's pretty clear that you don't actually get it, especially since you think the book is satirical

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Drunkboxer posted:

No, I think the book is trying to be dead serious. It's just absurd and scary to the degree that I think it works as an unintentional satire.

It isn't

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3QEjMq6e68&hd=1

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

In the author's note for Slugs, the dude who wrote Slugs actually says that this is a horrible movie and no one should watch it

I saw it at a record store earlier today but didn't buy it. It was $30!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
People making fun of RPO generally just have to post a couple quotes from the book itself

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The article isn't really about the book having cultural blindspots though. It's more that Cline is incapable of writing anything of substance and that the pop culture worship gatekeeping in the geek community is exactly what lead to gamergate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Djeser posted:

I think I must be slightly too young for the podcasts I listen to because every host of every podcast I listen to has this breathless enthusiasm for The Simpsons, but no one I knew growing up cared much about it beyond "that's the other show by the Futurama guy."

Maybe I just grew up with a bunch of squares (entirely possible, my childhood years were split between Mormon country and military bases) or maybe it's because I only saw the apparently lower-quality later seasons but it's a little baffling, like if everyone a few years older than you agreed that Yes, Dear was some kind of comedic touchstone.

Pretty much every season of the Simpsons to season 9/10 (depending on who you ask) is pure gold and it quickly begins a downward slide into complete sitcom mediocrity past that.

May I ask when you were born? I'm a '94 baby and everyone I knew as a kid would watch it regularly at the minimum with Futurama/Family Guy/South Park depending on how much their parents cared about swearing and violence.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 14, 2018

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Very disappointed that the otter book wasn't in a series about murder animals

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Pope Guilty posted:

It's amazing how many self-help books come down to "you need to hold yourself responsible for what others do to you".

It's a great way to pretend that it's other people's fault when you gently caress them over.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
There's one of those little free libraries by my place and last time I had a look I discovered a copy of Necroscope. I imagine it's only a matter of time before it has a copy of Wild Animus. I don't know if it got much distribution in Canada but I'm sure that plenty of copies found there way up here one way or another.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Actually, it's Marc Ecko's Getting Up Contents Under Pressure, and yes, you have to say the whole thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I think The Czar of Fear might be the first book that I actually want to read after an IDEOT episode on it