Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

The Chad Jihad posted:

The guest recommended Wizards First Rule, but perhaps strictly for ball-horror reasons

Somewhere between Gor and Eye of Argon...

I read the whole Black Jewels trilogy as a teen and it's bullshit world still occupies more of my brain space than it has any right to. Realistically I know that if you haven't been exposed to the gruesome sexual violence before than there's nothing else you're going to be able to talk about. But part of me was still disappointed that the drat talking animals don't show up until book two so everyone could get the full blast of saccharine, sentimental family feature lodged right in the middle of all the murderrapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RandomPauI posted:

My bad. Horror movies have me primed to associate "teen has sex" with "teen dies".

That's the after-school-special books which used tragedy to explicitly impart a lesson. McDaniels was more about peddling romance and commitment without the threat of sex.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Jurgan posted:

So kind of like Stephanie Meyer?

Twilight at least endorses sex within marriage as a good thing. McDaniel's was always about avoiding sex all together; boyfriends never ask for sex, they often can't have it (literal angel boyfriend will protect you but never touch you) and if it comes up through circumstance they're quick to assure you that they don't want it. I think Twilight, even with it's own host of regressive issues, is better because at least Bella is presented as a sexual being who eventually gets to a point where she can act on it safely and with enthusiasm.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

neongrey posted:

As is traditional, the author of this week's book turned out to be a notorious sex pest, which became public earlier this year.

Wait the author of the Maze Runner books? Do they even have an author? I thought they came out of one of those writer mills like Maximum Ride books.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they'd steer away from genre fiction more. I get that Jay loves cozy mysteries, but he doesn't have that much that's interesting to say about them. Go back to musician biographies and dime-store philosophical treatises. Or anything to do with wrestling because Jay talking about wrestling is fun when it's relevant and not just an excuse to not talk about the book they picked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

flesh dance posted:

Speaking of, now everything that I personally know about gene simmons comes from the radio call-in that chris linked in the show notes; it's absolutely bonkers, a huge recommend. I'm glad I listened to it at home by myself instead of out in public somewhere due to the range of facial expressions I unconsciously made in response to it

Whenever the book at hand is an action/thriller starring Tough White Male Variant I've gotten to the point of just skipping them, they're all samey and I just kind of drift off and stop paying attention

I can think of some of the thrillers that were fun, but after two cozy mysteries I just started skipping them. They just aren't interesting enough even in bad way to make for good riffing.