Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Zephro posted:

He looks exactly like you'd think a modern British fascist would look, somehow

He has a sort of Anders Breivik vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

sudo rm -rf posted:

good talk, i didn't even think of that

dublin isn't london though

Not for want of trying.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

no, there is very little desire from either side

That said I don't think either side are especially excited at the prospect of closing the border either.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Also Nexus.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Lord Twisted posted:

It's not like Spanish is the most widely spoken second language in the most powerful country and economy in the world or anything...

I think you'll find that there is no official second language in that entirely Anglophone country of which you speak.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Welp. I'll wake up tomorrow with Prime Minister Boris Johnson leading the party and by the time of my birthday next week, the UK will look like the setting of a Mad Max movie. gently caress it all.

V for Vendetta.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

:shepicide:

That is all.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Ok ok

Yay accelariotinism.

:shepicide:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

So what's Boris going to tell the working class when everything goes to poo poo?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I'm trying, drunkenly, to grapple with the fact that one of the countries of which I am a citizen has just committed economic suicide in the name of racism and the rejection of human rights.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

We've run out of bits of Empire to give them to put airbases on to pay them back. Maybe we can put Stonehenge on eBay?

Stonehenge nearly got shipped to California in the gilded age.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

UK farmers are already begging the post-EU government to guarantee their subsidies at the same level as Europe did.

Good luck with that one!

Yeah that's gonna be the biggest gently caress you. Oh you wanted farming subsidies but voted against them? Hahahahahahaha!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Post from my brother:

quote:

It's weird in London, everyone looks like they're going through the worst identity crisis of their lives. Can London become a city state and leave the UK?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought it was the Astors who wanted to buy it and ship it to New England?

This is going by Bill Bryson from At Home, which doesn't have footnotes, but:

Bill Bryson, At Home pg 522 posted:

Around the turn of the century it was reported that an anonymous buyer was interested in shipping the stones to America to reerect as a tourist attraction somewhere out west.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Personally speaking, I was considering either doing a post-doc or applying for professorship in the UK as options for the next step in my career. These are now pretty unlikely (not least of all because I doubt the pan-European grants and fellowships supporting those will be available in the UK for very much longer.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

I also probably qualify for Irish citizenship, so I guess it's time to look into that.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

TLDR: If getting back into the EU requires all the old people dying it's a good thing our NHS is completely hosed.

This depends on:

1) The EU surviving that long

2) The EU actually wanting the UK back in after leaving.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Convexed posted:

My girlfriend has her heart set on studying in Europe (Finland). Would this change anything?

If she's British, yes, probably. She should check up on Finnish rules regarding university fees. In general, the rule (in the UK) was to call anyone who was an EU national and had been living in the EU for three years a "home student" and treat them as such. This will almost certainly no longer be the case in the UK, and you should expect the same from EU countries.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

meristem posted:

Y'all should try to marry some Poles. Only not gay marry, sorry bout that.

Anyhow, let's consider the important thing: how will this affect Game of Thrones?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/brexit-would-put-game-of-thrones-under-threat-a7095576.html

There is apparently more stupidity like this, from more than one media source!

My other brother's married to a Pole. It never occurred to me that he should apply for Polish citizenship, but that's not a bad idea. Overall it's a bit lovely for her, though, since she works in London and I guess will now have to sort out how to remain.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

She's got a couple of years grace so I'd say she should get her applications in now.

I'm on a Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowship (that's an EU funded position where you get money to move to another country to do research there!) and it really loving sucks for young UK researchers that opportunities like mine are going to be increasingly difficult in a few years.

Ewan Birney, one of the leading scientists in my field, has been campaigning strongly for remain. gently caress only knows what will happen to the European Bioinformatics Institute now. It's not technically EU, but it's pretty closely aligned.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Inferior Third Season posted:

Lots of people with doctorates are stupid as hell. This is doubly true for doctorates in economics.

Go gently caress yourself.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Boris turning on statesman mode

Is buffoon Boris dead?

I'm sure Führer Boris will be a great leader.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

This is kinda funny:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/6/24/12022880/google-search-spike-brexit-why-leave-eu

quote:

Google's Trends Twitter account reported an increase of 250 percent in people searching "what happens if we leave the EU," at around midnight British time, two hours after the referendum polls closed.

OK, it's more tragic than funny.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

To avoid losing the financial institutions that are basically the entire point of the city?

Since Thatcher, anyway.

In many ways, this whole debacle is Thatcher's chickens coming home to roost.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

So, how many drinks have you guys had now?

Be honest.

It's 5AM over here and the booze is finally starting to wear off and I'll probably go to bed soon. It probably depends on how you count, but let's just say "enough".

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Tigey posted:

Yup, my (French) ex who lives in Scotland is literally fuming. She's due to start her phD soon and her research field is utterly dependent on EU funding.

It's not just funding. Right now EU citizens get counted as home students for fee purposes. If she has to switch to paying foreign student fees (as seems inevitable), it may not be possible to afford doing that PhD even if she can get funding.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

They will legally have to, and the money, if any, will be budgeted and assigned from day 1. So you should be fine to finish it if it works for you the way it does at my work.

But the blasted wasteland into which you graduate may not need outstanding experts in $your field, but rather, you know, Immortan Joe style warlords and tactiturn grunting road warriors.

(One of the reasons I'm worried is that I live in a University town and work in one of its universities (in admin) in a job whose students get a shitton of funding from the EU...)

Can you elaborate on the legal obligation? I'd imagine there might be some university rules, but I'm not sure about laws. Also with the change in fees, the budget would likely no longer apply.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

It could badly affect the British film and TV industry. Chances are locations in Scotland and Northern Ireland just got a lot trickier to shoot in after we leave the EU.

That's OK, there's tons of beautiful scenery in the Republic.

Well, OK for GoT viewers, I guess. Not so much for Britain.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

baka kaba posted:

also if you want a laugh of some kind

Worlds most successful newspaper crusade. :shepicide:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Volcott posted:

You mean the anglosphere?

I don't think Brits are quite ready to subject themselves to the US and India.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

What the gently caress is going on with Labour? There are all these threats of votes of no confidence in Corbyn (like, what, six months after he was elected?), threats of resignations, etc.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mr_jolly posted:

Someone has posted a fairly interesting comment in the Guardian liveblog: https://discussion.theguardian.com/comment-permalink/77205935

I really, really want this to be right. It would be immensely satisfying.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Private Speech posted:

It's an interesting article. He's pretty much saying that the reason EU failed in Britain and across the continent is that it took in too many refugees.

Which sadly might be true, but what the hell else was it supposed to do? Just wish them away? Send them on a boat to Australia? Europe was always going to be hit hard by the refugee crisis, precipitated by the American-led middle-eastern wars, owing to it's geographic location; and there isn't a whole lot that could be done about that.

The UK only took in around 60 refugees per 100,000 citizens. And that's just claimants, never mind the numbers who were actually accepted. The only sense in which it was too many was that it made for great copy for a toxic, yellow press to use to manipulate the working class. I'm reasonably certain that most leave voters never even saw an asylum seeker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

the Labour right.

This is kinda painful. True, but painful.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Private Speech posted:

That's exactly the argument he uses in the article though. Or more specifically that Leave was able to merge the breakdown in Greece with xenophobia, refugees and latent nationalism into one big topic of IMMIGRATION.

He kinda also said this:

quote:

A sudden influx of asylum-seekers disrupted people in their everyday lives across the EU.

Which is utter horseshit.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

ukle posted:

They should but they won't. Corbyn is dead and the left needs a new candidate quick, not choosing one and sticking with Corbyn will mean Labour are terminal and England will be Tory for the next decade, and probably UKIP (or what ever UKIP calls themselves) after that.

How is Corbyn dead?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

The blurb for this sounds a bit wishy-washy, but it does look like a London rally against the post-brexit bullshit that might be worth supporting:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1671704409745795/

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

So how on fire is the stock exchange at the moment?

Not much so far, TBH.

https://www.google.ca/finance?cid=12590587

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Well, I nearly joined Labour to vote for Corbyn last year. In light of current events, I've taken the plunge now. +1 vote for him (or another leftist candidate) if an actual leadership contest happens.

And yep, looks like it's time to dig in for the long fight for the soul of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Have both Labor and the Tories begun to self-destruct yet? Could Corbyn give Labor the V sign and start his own progressive party?

This also makes no sense since Labour is the one affiliated with the unions. While I'm sure it would be possible for the unions to defect en masse to a new party, that would probably be a gigantic mess and push the whole cause back even further.

• Locked thread