Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

XMNN posted:

i didnt once see the actual remain campaigns call leavers racist, they went out of their way to legitimise their fears about immigration
Great. Lets pedantically argue about when people called others racist rather than addressing anything that matters. Top work XMNNflaps

1876 - Fantastic hubris by General George Custer leads to his death at Little Bighorn.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Sheen Sheen posted:

Voters might change their minds and not leave the EU, but is their any chance that the rest of the EU would just go through with kicking then out anyway because their sick of the UK's bullshit? Sorry if that's a dumb question, in pretty ignorant of European politics.

plenty of precedent for "no, you voted wrong, go back and do it again", tbh

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sheen Sheen posted:

Voters might change their minds and not leave the EU, but is their any chance that the rest of the EU would just go through with kicking then out anyway because their sick of the UK's bullshit? Sorry if that's a dumb question, in pretty ignorant of European politics.

I doubt it from a logical standpoint. There's no gain in forcing out the UK if it doesn't want to leave.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

I am unsurprised that you are buying into the "it's all Corbyn's fault" line of drivel. Labour sharing a platform with the Conservatives on the EU referendum in a campaign that put in rules like not attacking Gove & Boris. Do enlighten me as to how Corbyn sharing a platform with Cameron would have made a difference. Or rather a positive difference, as opposed to the difference it made in the Scottish independence referendum where it basically murdered Labour up here.

Also, I thought Corbyn was a useless liability? Now we are supposed to believe him making a speech alongside Cameron would have made all the difference.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This is so infuriating

Literally all you have to do is just...not do it. Just don't go through with it. A lot of leave folks have clearly seen the error of their ways and I bet a similar vote taken now would be remain by a landslide so just don't loving do it okay

Lets say 10% of the leave folk have seen the error of their ways. gently caress it, lets say 20%. That's still 42-32% of the population you've just told that their votes don't count and we'll keep doing referendums until we get the result we want. That's 30% of the country who would end up aligning with the most dangerous outspoken fascists that end up crawling out of the sewer.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Sheen Sheen posted:

The onus is on the UK government to signal to other EU countries that it wants to leave under Article 50. The UK has to take that step itself (at which point it loses control, and Brexit becomes more or less irrevocable, except by extending the negotiation period by unanimous consent). There is no process for formally kicking an EU member out without its consent.

There is a process for suspending the voting rights of a member, which requires a unanimous vote on the part of all other states. Its unlikely even in this case I think, unless matters get much much worse.

Tigey fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 25, 2016

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

People I work with genuinely think that, as the pound is fine now, it's been less than 2 days and all the fearmongering proved untrue. We can finally instate a paper bag test on each of our borders.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hitchensgoespop posted:

Do you really want the country to swing further to the right?

We've already burned this poo poo down folks don't make us rekindle the ashes!!!!

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
This whole mess has been the best counterpoint to the “my vote doesn't matter” argument in decades

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Speaking of ashes, George Soros suggests that EU disintegration might be inevitable:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/brexit-eu-disintegration-inevitable-by-george-soros-2016-06

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

loving idiot. The time to do something about this was before Ed Miliband had "Controls on immigration" written on a big rock. It's been done now. Ignoring the results will only embolden the fascists further and grant them huge sympathy.

Yeah, David Lammy really hasn't thought this through. While some leavers are feeling remorse or regret at their vote, the majority aren't. And if you take a bunch of people whose voting was driven by lack of facts, alienation from politics and possibly a dollop of desperation and then go back on the referendum they just took part in you're turning these people into the hands of Farage & worse.

Thanks for that.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

forkboy84 posted:

I am unsurprised that you are buying into the "it's all Corbyn's fault" line of drivel. Labour sharing a platform with the Conservatives on the EU referendum in a campaign that put in rules like not attacking Gove & Boris. Do enlighten me as to how Corbyn sharing a platform with Cameron would have made a difference. Or rather a positive difference, as opposed to the difference it made in the Scottish independence referendum where it basically murdered Labour up here.

I think the fault can be ascribed to a great many people!

it's worth appreciating, I think, that Corbyn's intuition is probably not wrong on the point - if he had pulled out all the stops for Remain, Cameron would have reaped the benefits whilst Labour would have taken yet another beating in yet another Formerly Known As Labour Heartlands. And Remain was likely to win anyway. Such rationalities make for such best laid plans! And, you know, Cameron probably wasn't actually unreasonable in reading the polling as pointing to a 2015 Tory-LD coalition that would've vetoed the referendum, or the polling as pointing to an easy Remain victory, etc etc.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Lets say 10% of the leave folk have seen the error of their ways. gently caress it, lets say 20%. That's still 42-32% of the population you've just told that their votes don't count and we'll keep doing referendums until we get the result we want. That's 30% of the country who would end up aligning with the most dangerous outspoken fascists that end up crawling out of the sewer.

so let me tell you about the Treaty of Lisbon

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Steve2911 posted:

Do you think that wont happen if we go ahead with this shitshow?

I'm banking on 5 to 10 years of people slowly realising that they were in fact retarded, However they eventually justify it to themselves.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Tigey posted:

The onus is on the UK government to signal to other EU countries that it wants to leave under Article 50. The UK has to take that step itself (at which point it loses control, and Brexit becomes more or less irrevocable, except by extending the negotiation period by unanimous consent). There is no process for formally kicking an EU member out without its consent.

There is a process for suspending the voting rights of a member, which requires a unanimous vote on the part of all other states. Its unlikely even in this case I think, unless matters get much much worse.

Thanks for the explanation!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

ronya posted:

I think the fault can be ascribed to a great many people!

it's worth appreciating, I think, that Corbyn's intuition is probably not wrong on the point - if he had pulled out all the stops for Remain, Cameron would have reaped the benefits whilst Labour would have taken yet another beating in yet another Formerly Known As Labour Heartlands. And Remain was likely to win anyway. Such rationalities make for such best laid plans! And, you know, Cameron probably wasn't actually unreasonable in reading the polling as pointing to a 2015 Tory-LD coalition that would've vetoed the referendum, or the polling as pointing to an easy Remain victory, etc etc.

Yeah, sorry, I knew you weren't actually Polly Toynbee and blaming it all on Corbyn, I'm just getting a bit glum at hearing people harping on about that, and how he really didn't campaign hard. Which is poo, he was up and down the country campaigning. The problem is that Jeremy Corbyn the campaigner isn't really spitting out the sort of soundbytes that drive the media in hordes to your press conferences. So they got ignored generally unless they were fairly high profile. Which is a totally reasonable criticism, that his style does not work, he has neither the cynicism to lie like a Boris, nor the firey, exciting rhetoric of a Tony Benn. He's the type of campaigner I'd like all MPs to be, he treats it seriously, treats the electorate like adults, and is fairly nuanced. But even though I personally like it, it's clear that it doesn't work at this level of politics.

But all that's a whole different kettle of fish from "he didn't campaign hard enough" which I keep hearing trotted out by the Labour right.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Speaking of ashes, George Soros suggests that EU disintegration might be inevitable:

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/brexit-eu-disintegration-inevitable-by-george-soros-2016-06

It's an interesting article. He's pretty much saying that the reason EU failed in Britain and across the continent is that it took in too many refugees.

Which sadly might be true, but what the hell else was it supposed to do? Just wish them away? Send them on a boat to Australia? Europe was always going to be hit hard by the refugee crisis, precipitated by the American-led middle-eastern wars, owing to it's geographic location; and there isn't a whole lot that could be done about that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 25, 2016

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously machine gun them on the shores children of men style

Tortuga
Aug 27, 2011

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I had kind of assumed that Corbyn had been quite in order to let this happen and to thenpush for a winter election then run that campaign on the promise of another referendum thus legitimising said referendum and offering the best chance to save his sorry rear end. Kind of wonder what his plan was if it wasnt this.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
My Aunt's boyfriend is making plans to move back to Germany, because it's not clear if his cancer medication will still be paid for by Germany when we make an exit and you can't really take the risk of having to pay for treatment when the cost would financially crush you.

This whole thing is relentlessly miserable.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Has George Osbourne surfaced yet? I read that he was also likely to walk but he doesn't seem to have weighed in at all.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pork Lift posted:

Has George Osbourne surfaced yet? I read that he was also likely to walk but he doesn't seem to have weighed in at all.

He's making a significant contribution to the GNP of Colombia in order to stabilize the world economy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pork Lift posted:

Presumably he's keeping his head down and jumping at any loud noise that sounds like an oncoming Boris.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

gently caress it, emailed my MP to ask her to do her bit in bringing down the government. Don't really care that it's basically impossible to do to a government with even the slimmest majority, I'll take anything at this point.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Presumably he's keeping his head down and jumping at any loud noise that sounds like an oncoming Boris.
Specifically against a glass coffee table.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's be pretty hard for Corbyn to tour with the man he's blaming everything on.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011
I just can't see us getting another referendum unless Farage or Johnson come out and call for it themselves - anyone else and UNDEMOCRATIC will be screamed (and rightly so), and i'm not sure they will do that even if they wanted to because what points haven't they already backtracked on?

That and they're probably scared that there will be another Mair-style shooting if they do.

E: ^^ wasn't there polls that both Cameron and Corbyn weren't trusted - I don't think Remain had anyone who matched up to LEGERND.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

We weren't bailing out Greece.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I'm sure this has been posted before and soundly debunked as totally implausible in every way but I just wanted to let you all know that I will be in my room masturbating to this article for the next few hours

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/britain-rainy-fascist-island-progrexit-brexit

don't ruin this for me with your "actual facts" and "knowledge of how things would actually go", you bastards, can't you see I'm hurting

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm still mad as hell

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

feedmegin posted:

We weren't bailing out Greece.

It's not as if the leave campaign particularly cared

Really it's just another iteration of politics getting progressively more poo poo in this country since 2008. Not that Blair was all that great, but he (and Brown) did do some good. To be honest I'm not even surprised that referendum ended the way it did, I was a lot more dismayed by the last election. Was kindof expecting it really after the Tories were voted in with a majority and then did all their registration changes and boundary review.

It still absolutely sucks for me. Oh well, at least I'm reasonable sure that I'll be able to find work elsewhere, on a visa if need be.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Private Speech posted:

It's an interesting article. He's pretty much saying that the reason EU failed in Britain and across the continent is that it took in too many refugees.

Which sadly might be true, but what the hell else was it supposed to do? Just wish them away? Send them on a boat to Australia? Europe was always going to be hit hard by the refugee crisis, precipitated by the American-led middle-eastern wars, owing to it's geographic location; and there isn't a whole lot that could be done about that.

The UK only took in around 60 refugees per 100,000 citizens. And that's just claimants, never mind the numbers who were actually accepted. The only sense in which it was too many was that it made for great copy for a toxic, yellow press to use to manipulate the working class. I'm reasonably certain that most leave voters never even saw an asylum seeker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The UK only took in around 60 refugees per 100,000 citizens. And that's just claimants, never mind the numbers who were actually accepted. The only sense in which it was too many was that it made for great copy for a toxic, yellow press to use to manipulate the working class. I'm reasonably certain that most leave voters never even saw an asylum seeker.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34131911

That's exactly the argument he uses in the article though. Or more specifically that Leave was able to merge the breakdown in Greece with xenophobia, refugees and latent nationalism into one big topic of IMMIGRATION.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ddraig posted:

He's making a significant contribution to the GNP of Colombia in order to stabilize the world economy.

All those snorting and sniffing sounds from his office, brexit must have him crying.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Friendly reminder that you can be anti immigration without automatically being a racist!!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Angepain posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before and soundly debunked as totally implausible in every way but I just wanted to let you all know that I will be in my room masturbating to this article for the next few hours

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/25/britain-rainy-fascist-island-progrexit-brexit

don't ruin this for me with your "actual facts" and "knowledge of how things would actually go", you bastards, can't you see I'm hurting
If you want implausible just read that: Londependance.
gently caress, if you people start "the commune of London", i will have nightmare flashback of the final days of the Commune of Paris for weeks.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/mattsbesttweets/status/746334836344819712

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sharzak posted:

Friendly reminder that you can be anti immigration without automatically being a racist!!

I don't think anyone said anything about racism? See we've moved to xenophobia now, totally different, you can stop being offended.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Pork Lift posted:

People I work with genuinely think that, as the pound is fine now, it's been less than 2 days and all the fearmongering proved untrue.

Same here.

I think that they think we are out of the EU already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The secret was that David Cameron was the Ham, from the start.

• Locked thread