Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

RIP The Jokester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I get monthly stuff in digital and double-dip on trades/HCs of stuff I love. I don't like digital trades much at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A small week for me it about six books, but I'd say I average around 10 a week. My lists since the start of May have had (going backwards) 6, 15, 6, 7, and 7 books. It depends on when things ship. Since a lot of that is indie stuff, shipping schedules aren't always exactly monthly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep telling myself I'm going to trade waiting on some stuff but never actually do

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Went to a Mark Waid Q&A panel today and he said he read Captain America #2 and said everyone angry about the end of #1 is going to feel like a complete idiot by page 8.

Though if they're angry it's probably because they didn't read it, so that may not stand.

He also went on a rant about BvS that was fun.

Also saw Peter David yesterday and he was fun to listen to.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chaos Hippy posted:

I want to know more about the BvS rant. That is exactly the sort of thing I'd want to hear Waid rant about.
I mean, it's about what you expect from a BvS rant: he said all the characters were wrong, he pointed out that there were scenes that seemed like they were specifically filmed to be in the trailer despite not making sense within the final movie, that he didn't need to see the Waynes die yet again, and so on. He did start it by saying that before he saw it, he had already spent lots of time ranting on MoS, so he at least knew what he was getting into and it was what he expected. He also liked Wonder Woman, so there's that.

I like Mark Waid a lot, honestly, both as a writer and as a person (for as much I only know the persona he shows online and in panels), so I wasn't really trying to be negative about the panel. But yes, as people have said, he is blunt and isn't afraid to burn bridges, but on the other hand, he has no issues with praising something when it's due.

EDIT: Not Waid related, but I got to hold a Captain America shield used in the first movie and now I want a nice metal one for myself, but gently caress they are like $500 at least, and I don't want one *that* bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

There is a full scale copy coming in September for $100.

Currently unavailable but that was just the preorder that sold out.
http://www.amazon.com/Marvel-Legends-Captain-America-Shield/dp/B01B4NLML2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

It's also plastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Having not been much of a DC reader, it was actually the first I saw of him, so there's that.

Then there was one of the Superbuddies minis where Sue Dibny is pretending to be pregnant and says something about inviting Dr. Light to the baby shower. (Obviously she was talking about good guy lady Dr. Light but it was still awkwardly funny to read at the time.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's also public domain, so you can pretty easily find legal downloads if you want.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure the Masterworks reprints are largely copying the original coloring, the issue being that (as you've noted) the paper quality was so dire that using modern paper and printing makes them very different than they originally did.

EDIT: Looks like it depends on which Masterworks you're talking about. According to the Masterworks forum:

"Masterworks forum posted:

... Dear, (can I call you dear? ) the original release of the Masterworks in 1987 and up to 2004 had colouring that didn't match the comics.
Cory's remastered and reissued Masterworks from 2004 til now have colouring that matches the comics.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ennis has three stories he is good at:

1) Bizarre gross-out humor

2) War stories

3) Bizarre gross-out war stories

You can decide which one his Punisher run is.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

Does anyone here listen to comic book podcasts? I'm trying to find one that's basically just a week in review where the participants run down the major releases and talk about if they liked them or not. So far, War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that fits that form and has hosts that aren't completely loving intolerable to listen to, and since they only review three comics a week and they're almost always all DC since Chris Sims works for Marvel now it's not really doing it for me.

War Rocket Ajax is the only one I've found that's both good and still running.

Funnybook Babylon and 4th Letter both had good podcasts, but they're both dead.

Oh and Jay and Miles X-Plain the X-Men is good, but it's obviously very focused and rarely discusses current stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Travis343 posted:

As someone who was reading that poo poo as it came out let me tell you loving everybody cared about the detectives. Sam and Twitch were like the breakout characters of 1997. The zeitgeist had passed by the time they actually got their own spinoff series.

Which is a shame since it was early Bendis doing what Bendis does best.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaunab posted:

There aren't that many black protagonist in comics. That's a shame.

Does it even really count when his whole thing is that he's horribly disfigured and Literal Satan makes him turn his face white as a joke?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Insomniac should at least be able to get the tone right, and I like most of the stuff they've made, so I'll at least be following this.

But yeah, that costume.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll take dumb glowy spider over that, thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess Toxx is a Dark Souls Guy who thinks combat is only good if you watch your toon slowly swing his weapon and if you miss once welp you're dead. Me, I like to murk a bunch of dudes really fast.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I've got Uncharted 4 but haven't started it yet, but I hear that's got some good stuff too.

As someone who loved that game and demolished it in under a week, I'm not convinced there was anything in it that a PS3 couldn't have done gameplay-wise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man I wish! One of these summers I'm gonna do a bunch of cons as travel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or just get the regular ending and watch the "real" ending on YouTube.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Squizzle posted:

EMERGENCY EDIT, IMPORTANT!!!!!! There are also a lot of growing heroes.
:quagmire:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kieron Gillen wrote some initial thoughts here.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Are there any comics where the baby boomers are the villains, like they are in real life?
I was gonna say Prez, but given that's set in the near future, the establishment are probably Gen Xers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Season 4 is the one where Dan Harmon got fired, right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll take Bendis' best work over Johns', but I'd probably rather read Johns' worst work than Bendis'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alaois posted:

how about :rapingachild:

e: oh weird that one doesn't seem to work

:aatrek:
EDIT:

Rhyno posted:

So you're paying $9 more a year to NOT get free shipping?
No free shipping, no music, no 20% off new video games, plus some Kindle things

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 28, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just one-click things so things come as they come. Occasionally I'll get same-day or one-day (free with Prime!) if I want something faster.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had an Amazon account in the early-2000s, but in 2010 it got hacked, so I had to have them close it and start a new one. This actually really sucks because I had bought a bunch of CDs from them that would have been in my Prime Music account, but aren't.

Anyway, my first order in 2010 was for 3D Dot Game Heroes and Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Madkal posted:

Which lucky goon is creating the new discussion thread?

Did you ignore the two posts before yours?

• Locked thread