Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

CrashScreen posted:

I was surprised to see basically experience the last update again to unlock the new raid.

Surprised isn't the word I would use. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Back from the trip and settled in. Here's the update I'd almost managed to finish before I left. We're finally past the worst part.

Chapter LXI: A Final Ignominy

Not content with how much our fight with the deadly Titan has been delayed already, Wheiskaet is now asking Aggro to lay the tables for the banquet we've been supplying. These guys have no sense of urgency, at all.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 15, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Time for everyone's favorite Raid boss!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Man, they kinda force the player to take that stupid, insulting questline very gracefully. I feel like there should be an option to coldly dump your "feast" on the ground while giving the Company of Heroes a death stare.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SSNeoman posted:

This is the trial when I realized the game was going to be really really good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Doesn't the PC make an extremely disgusted face after the "I would've never sent you on this side quest if I had known" line?

SSNeoman posted:

Tremble before the might of the earth. :black101:

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, they kinda force the player to take that stupid, insulting questline very gracefully. I feel like there should be an option to coldly dump your "feast" on the ground while giving the Company of Heroes a death stare.

Do not waste the food you spent the last 26 quests gathering.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 26, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tremble before the might of the earth. :black101:

Don't you mean "I'm an armadillo"

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously those fucks deserve a kick in the dick for all this crap.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That would be very difficult to pull on Brayflox.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
The worst is finally over. Now onto the (mostly) good stuff.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXII: Lord of Crags

Let's not even waste any time. Aggro is here to murder the god of the Kobolds and that's what we're going to do. Time to enter The Navel.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 15, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When that track dropped for the first time I was like "oh yeah this is a good game."

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
So a little story but around the time I started playing Final Fantasy 14, the game was plagued with server problems for about two or three weeks (this was during the 2.2 patch). Because of this, the servers that specifically handled instanced boss fights like Titan and Ifrit were filled with horrible lag and made most fights difficult.

Well, right when the server problems started is when me and my brother just got to Titan. We spent the next two weeks trying to get a clear while dealing with horrible lag in the fight, which meant we would be knocked off the stage almost every run. My brother ended up quitting because of it and to this day, still hasn't come back because of it.

So yeah, Titan is pretty rough with lag. This is the point where the game stops loving around in terms of difficulty.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Another little story about Titan, because why not. My first time in the fight, I went into it with my girlfriend and another friend of mine. My girlfriend and I were both new, so our friend gave us one warning before we entered the fight. "Avoid the landslides and stand in the orange area when he jumps." One wipe later, we quickly discovered that our friend did not remember the fight quite as well as he thought he did.

Anyway, Titan is great and past this point is where the story really kicks it up a few notches, so I'm looking forward to the aftermath!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

No need to put Koji in quote marks, it's Koji's actual middle name :v: Apparently his dad was stationed in Japan and became a weeb of sorts.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Be incredibly careful with the timing for when you crack your party from their gaol egg. He didn't do it this time, but it's possible for Titan to target the gaoled party member with a Landside. Breaking them free before the Landslide finishes will usually knock them off.

Small correction, I'm pretty sure Titan will never target the gaoled party member. He definitely has no qualms targeting the melee DPS right next to them trying to break them out, though.

It'd be nice to see this sort of run-down of the hardest versions of the primals, some of them are pretty brutal if you aren't overgeared enough to skip their mechanics.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Whoops. You're both right. I'll correct that now.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pretty sure knockback mitigation works on Landslide. I've used Surecast to take Titan EX's to the face while unsynced just for giggles.

That said, no, Titan does not gently caress around and was the bane of my low FPS playtime until I managed to correct those issues. :argh:

Also, Titan has one more musical track that plays, though it seems like it's extraordinarily rare to get him to the phase where it does rather than skipping to Heartless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOmDJJpA3vk

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 8, 2018

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW y'all really need to click this if you haven't already: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WR1-pds8qM :allears:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty sure knockback mitigation works on Landslide. I've used Surecast to take Titan EX's to the face while unsynced just for giggles.

So. Uhh... You're not wrong. I went back over the footage I took and checked when I tested the knockback mitigation. Instead of Tempered Will (knockback mitigation), I used Awareness (crit mitigation). I'll fix that dumb error now, too.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Elentor posted:

When that track dropped for the first time I was like "oh yeah this is a good game."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

As much as Titan irritated me as a fight (since I played Black Mage the first time I got here :shepicide:), I have to admit that the way he's immediately portrayed as different from Ifrit makes for an interesting way of handling things. The pre-fight dialogue and the boss theme both discuss how instead of just brainwashing people to serve because... reasons like Ifrit, Titan is actually given a legitimate reason to be upset.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Everything about the Titan fight totally blows Ifrit out of the...fire, the music, the environment, the difficulty. I feel like this is the reason to forgive the whole awful quest chain you have to do before reaching him. Admittedly, I also have a soft spot for this because it made me realize the FFXIV community is generally pretty nice.

I continually got smashed by Landslide on my first attempt, as a Healer, so I felt like I was holding everyone back and wanted to drop group, but our Tank was super cool about it and encouraged everyone to stick around and help me learn the fight. (I usually play MOBAs so this behavior was like, unfathomable to me) We downed him a few tries later, and now I'm max level and trying to be like that Paladin from ages ago to people having trouble with Primals.

also sometimes i still get hit by landslide, gently caress landslide

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Titan was the fight that finally got me to turn on Legacy movement controls. Pro tip: turn on legacy movement controls. Otherwise your character slooooooowly backpedals instead of instantly turning around and running and you get hit by every single AOE attack.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Surec
also sometimes i still get hit by landslide, gently caress landslide

What I do, since i usually play Red Mage, is memorize when he bursts out Landslide and pop Surecast so I don't get smacked off in case I don't dodge in time.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What I do, since i usually play Red Mage, is memorize when he bursts out Landslide and pop Surecast so I don't get smacked off in case I don't dodge in time. so I can do more damage (healers adjust)

ftfy

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What I do, since i usually play Red Mage, is memorize when he bursts out Landslide and pop Surecast so I don't get smacked off in case I don't dodge in time.

But then you backflip off the edge anyhow, and get so pissed you wish it was not part of your rotation.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Up until now there's maybe only a handful of great music in this game. And then you fight Titan.

Most MMOs tend to have weak music. Maybe a few standout or memorable tracks. FFXIV is nuts for having so many good and memorable tracks, and that's not including the various remixes from other games. Soken shows up enough in fanfests that I don't feel he's underrated by the community but drat has he and his crew done a great job.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ironically I just got back from a fight with the last boss of this current tier before checking the thread.

For everyone's information, Surecast does not work on said boss's knockback. I, uh, tested it.

Argas posted:

Up until now there's maybe only a handful of great music in this game. And then you fight Titan.

Most MMOs tend to have weak music. Maybe a few standout or memorable tracks. FFXIV is nuts for having so many good and memorable tracks, and that's not including the various remixes from other games. Soken shows up enough in fanfests that I don't feel he's underrated by the community but drat has he and his crew done a great job.

I'm really glad CrashScreen is providing music links because it really does only get better from here.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think the reason why I stuck with FFXIV and bounced off WoW after a while was the music. I can think of about 2 memorable tracks in WoW, but absolutely loads in 14.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

I think the reason why I stuck with FFXIV and bounced off WoW after a while was the music. I can think of about 2 memorable tracks in WoW, but absolutely loads in 14.

And it's only getting better. The "generic boss fight" music for the latest expansion is several levels of holy gently caress wow. Unfortunately it'll be quite a while before we'll get to it in this LP...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Ironically I just got back from a fight with the last boss of this current tier before checking the thread.

For everyone's information, Surecast does not work on said boss's knockback. I, uh, tested it.

O8S? I'm still only on Phase 1, but I've ignored the tether, orb, and Aero with Surecast.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

O8S? I'm still only on Phase 1, but I've ignored the tether, orb, and Aero with Surecast.

Yeah i'm a little confused myself, Sigmascape is "Knockback immunity abuse" the tier so no clue what they're talking about.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Axle_Stukov posted:

Yeah i'm a little confused myself, Sigmascape is "Knockback immunity abuse" the tier so no clue what they're talking about.

They're talking about the rocks during second graven image.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: Music, I think the entire sequence with Shiva, from the intro cutscene to the phase 1 music to the transition to the phase 2 music is probably the coolest boss fight presentation I had ever seen until then and the only way I could describe it is "this poo poo loving owns".

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Elentor posted:

Re: Music, I think the entire sequence with Shiva, from the intro cutscene to the phase 1 music to the transition to the phase 2 music is probably the coolest boss fight presentation I had ever seen until then and the only way I could describe it is "this poo poo loving owns".

This is definitely one of my favorite transitions but the final boss in the newest expansion has one that blew it out of the water. That's still my favorite boss fight in any MMO and probably a contender in the top 5 of all games.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXIII: All Good Things

Aggro has finally defeated Titan, leaving the situation in La Noscea resolved. We still need to escape The Navel where Titan was summoned.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 15, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Congratulations on beating Titan. By the way, everyone's loving dead.

On the plus side, Godbert is here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

All Good Things must come to an end indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Well. Maybe this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't been spending so much time oiling up old men!