Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Jade Rider posted:

I didn't really think there was anything that bad after Garuda. I'm curious to find out what you mean.

It's not after Garuda; that stuff is fine. It's what comes between Coerthas and Garuda that's the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXII: The Final Flight of the Enterprise

With House Haillenarte under suspicion of heresy, Aggro's lead for Cid's airship is unwilling to speak with her. Our best hope is to clear Lord Francel's name, but that may be a bit hard when they have him facing a trial by execution at Witchdrop.

e: I'm wary of how bulky these pages can get with more than one post, so I'll probably just link to the SSLP Test Post with older posts from now on. Just click the image or title to view the update.

double edit: Fixed the link.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 22, 2019

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The leveling experience sure is different this time around. One of those roulettes and she was approaching level 40.

On that note, the Stone Vigil dungeon is at least a couple of updates away (my estimation is 3 - 4), but I was wondering how many goons are on the Chaos data centre these days as well? I haven't done any content with thread members in forever because I'm always recording at dumb times like 4am, but it'd be good to know on the off-chance.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The main EU goon guild is on Omega so there's a strong Chaos goon presence.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXIII: Ye of Little Faith

After getting caught up in the local politics of Ishgard, Aggro finally has the location of Cid's airship locked down. The party need to get into the Stone Vigil, but to do so requires House Durendaire's permission first. The Vigil is under Dravanian control, and House Durendaire's Lord Drillemont is in charge of taking it back.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Sep 15, 2019

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

You can tell we're slowly finally reaching the end since almost every update has needed us to level up to continue. There aren't many more levels left until we reach the A Realm Reborn cap (50).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'd say the inquisitor was an rear end in a top hat, but I think that's part and parcel of the job.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Man, I know people talk up XIV like it's the best Final Fantasy ever, but so much busywork. Why did we have to get the runaround talking to four five people in a row at the beginning of the update just to have a meaningful conversation? Why does every tiny step of progress require earning the approval of seven different people with fluff quests?

The game seems to make it a mission to waste your time, but I guess that's just MMOs for you. It does make it hard to see why the game gets quite as much praise as it does, though.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 21, 2019

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, I know people talk up XIV like it's the best Final Fantasy ever, but so much busywork. Why did we have to get the runaround talking to four five people in a row at the beginning of the update just to have a meaningful conversation? Why does every tiny step of progress require earning the approval of seven different people with fluff quests?

The game seems to make it a mission to waste your time, but I guess that's just MMOs for you. It does make it hard to see why the game gets quite as much praise as it does, though.

Most of the bits that people talk up only really show up in the expansions, sadly. The base game was basically made in 2 years after the disastrous 1.0 version, and it does show. It's surprisingly good for being a 2-year creation, though.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Schwartzcough posted:

Sometime next year all of this will get tightened up, at least.

Meanwhile there's only one more run of obvious filler between here and the end of 2.0 if I remember correctly... provided the run-up to the Stone Vigil has run out of it, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Man, I know people talk up XIV like it's the best Final Fantasy ever, but so much busywork.

From what I understand, 2.0 gets praised because it's actually a functional game as opposed to its predecessor which was so bad that Square Enix literally dropped a meteor on it to destroy it. (Yoshi-P has also recently gone on record implying that there's pretty much no chance of 1.0 ever coming back in any regard.)

That said, it's also the worst of the currently existing expacs because there's just so much fluff to be trimmed out. In fact, there was a recent trimming of accessibility to side content for ARR around the time Shadowbringers was soon to launch, and apparently the ARR MSQ is going to be further condensed in the near future.

Everything after 2.0 ends is a significant step up in quality, though, to the point that 3.0 and 5.0 in particular could probably standalone as interesting games on their own right. With some rewrites to accommodate for the lack of previous expansions to work off of, of course.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yeah realistically this content is the stuff that people warn you about before saying "but everything afterwards makes it worth it". Think of it like season 1 of The Office. It's a little painful, but you sorta need it to set the stage and it's worth it in the end if only to see how much everything improves.

Heavensward is great, and coming right after the 2.x content makes it seem all the better in comparison.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
ARR trimming is scheduled for 5.3, in whatever it trims off. Around April-May 2020 so Aggro is going past it with good probability.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Unless the trim includes 2.x patch stuff, which is probably some of the most in need of it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was planning to finish the ARR vanilla section before the trim happened (and maybe go back and do the trimmed stuff in a casual new game+ stream or something if folk were interested) but the patch stuff never crossed my mind. I have no idea why I didn't assume the trim may include them too.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXIV: Power Struggles

This is going to be a pretty short and unexciting update, but it's content that needs done. Today, we're visiting the Sultansworn to continue the Paladin questline. After completing a leveling roulette, Aggro hit level 41. We're ahead of the MSQ's leveling curve again, but we have a new ability to unlock.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 23, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I'm seeing a kind of parallel with the Paladin and Dragoon ARR job quests. Dragoon's got the similar "be exposited on, go and kill a thing, come back, here's a new ability, see you in five levels for more exposition" going on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Monk ARR, too. Though that one at least has the excuse that you're explicitly seeking out hard fights in areas rich with aether and historical significance to open your chakras and the fact that a guy's hiring you to go to such places anyhow is considered a bonus.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I can't think of any ARR job quest set that I particularly liked, TBH, outside of some of the crafter ones which were amusing. Pugilist was good though.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

I can't think of any ARR job quest set that I particularly liked, TBH, outside of some of the crafter ones which were amusing. Pugilist was good though.

I wanna say SCH was pretty good because the Lore Dump was genuinely new lore about the setting and it made sense that you would be more about the learnin' stuff due to being a SCH. SMN is also pretty solid since half the quests are you actively battling the mini summon that would then become your pet, or the villain of the job story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ARR Job Quests are pretty boring, yes, though Dragoon's was alright and Ninja's had a fun recurring antagonist.

It's kinda lame Summoner's Titan-egi quest didn't play Under the Weight, though. :argh:

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I like the BRD quests well enough, though part of that is probably personal preference. It follows the same pattern as all the others, but the pattern just seems more appropriate in the context of its story, it being about an old man telling you stories.
It's certainly not flashy, I just think they got the mood right in that quest line.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sorry everyone! The next update is coming though. I've been caught up in tournaments, work, and a lovely and random leg injury. At best I'm only going to be able to post two more until I'm away to London for a bit, but it's a short trip and I should be able to get a schedule going again come November.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Posting to repeat that it's still coming and that it's just been... uhhh... some really, really draining months. I'll be fixing the 72nd update first, though. Looks like I somehow managed to lose it. Even my file backup of it is just the 71st update, but I've retained all the screenshots and the videos are still on YouTube where someone was kind enough to let me know. Sorry to anyone who was catching up.

e: Fixed it.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 22, 2019

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Apologies for the long wait. We're very close to the end of this story arc, and there aren't many of those left in the game as Aggro's current level may hint at (41/50).

Chapter LXV: Influencing Inquisitors

Aggro's quest in Ishgardian territory has gotten rather complex. Cid's airship—the tool we'll need to reach and slay the Primal Garuda—is just behind the walls of the Stone Vigil, but the Ishgardian Inquisition has taken issue with us and turned the locals against us. Without winning them over, we won't be able to get the permission we need to enter the Stone Vigil.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 25, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Coerthas is the first zone of the game that I really enjoyed and got me interested in where the story going. I love me some catholic elf politics.

Also Ishgard has an amazing silhouette and I appreciate you making sure to show it off.

Longsaddle
Feb 2, 2006

"So I lied, I cheated, I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning thing of all, I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again, I would."
Maybe wrong place for these questions but is the game still worth getting into and is there a best way to get into it?

Thanks

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Longsaddle posted:

Maybe wrong place for these questions but is the game still worth getting into and is there a best way to get into it?

Thanks

First question, yes. If you like story-focused RPGs, it's one of the absolute best out there. The base game is a bit of a slog to get through, but once you hit the first expansion the story gets really really good and the newest expansion (Shadowbringers) may be my favourite RPG story ever.

Second question, do you care about being locked into Steam? If you'd rather be free to open it in other ways and have access to non-Steam discounts, then buy it from the Square Enix store. If you are happy to have it consolidated with all your other games on Steam, then go ahead and buy it on Steam. There's a free trial that allows you to play until level 35, and to play beyond that you need to buy the base game. Buying the newest expansion Shadowbringers will also give you access to all the previous expansions along with the races/classes that got added to the game. There's a 50% discount on Shadowbringers right now on Steam, so it's a good time to buy it.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

First question, yes. If you like story-focused RPGs, it's one of the absolute best out there. The base game is a bit of a slog to get through, but once you hit the first expansion the story gets really really good and the newest expansion (Shadowbringers) may be my favourite RPG story ever.

Second question, do you care about being locked into Steam? If you'd rather be free to open it in other ways and have access to non-Steam discounts, then buy it from the Square Enix store. If you are happy to have it consolidated with all your other games on Steam, then go ahead and buy it on Steam. There's a free trial that allows you to play until level 35, and to play beyond that you need to buy the base game. Buying the newest expansion Shadowbringers will also give you access to all the previous expansions along with the races/classes that got added to the game. There's a 50% discount on Shadowbringers right now on Steam, so it's a good time to buy it.

Latest word from On High is that they're aware of how much of a slog the base game is and they're re-doing most of it to tighten up the storyline a bit, more involvement from the Scions, possibly incorporating the new "Trust System" so you don't absolutely need to find a party for those mandatory dungeons. No word of how soon (or un-soon) this'll be ready, though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also even with the current state of ARR, it's extremely worth getting through just for how amazing the later stuff is.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Also even with the current state of ARR, it's extremely worth getting through just for how amazing the later stuff is.

Agreed.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Can't wait for the Ishgardian redemption arc, because man these guys suck right now.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, it's the slow part of the story but there's a lot of setup for later events. It's not going to be the kind of writing where everything from two expansions back is going to end up retconned.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FFXIV is currently the best it's ever been with its newest expansion (it's doing extremely well as a result). There's still the black mark of having to do the *entire* story questline from start to finish in order to experience most of the new content but most would say that's worth it. That will probably change in the spring with the release of the ARR revamp they've been promising.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BioMe posted:

Can't wait for the Ishgardian redemption arc, because man these guys suck right now.

Coerthas/Ishgard gets better later on, but yeah, the introduction to the Ishgardians can basically be summed up as

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

BioMe posted:

Elves Are Assholes is definitely in full play, yeah.

I do like that 1) it's not downplayed and 2) your NPC companions don't pretend it's normal. Even polite-to-a-fault Alphinaud agrees he'll be happy to see the last of this place, and not just because he forgot to dress up warm.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, I can say that the upcoming showdown with the Inquistor is enjoyable. I'm definitely having fun with the game.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Merry Christmas! I was planning to post this on midnight in my timezone, but videos needed rendering. Hope you're all having/had a good holiday.

Chapter LXXVI: The Heretic Among Us

Aggro's party have received permission to enter the Stone Vigil and recover Cid's airship; however, Drillemont wishes our assistance in dealing with the heretic inquisitor.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 29, 2019

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

CrashScreen posted:

Towards the east lies a cavern pass (where we'll later be facing a Chimera for a rather redundant side quest) that's caved in, losing access to the Eastern Coerthas Highlands.

Oh no. Quit now, and save yourself the agony.
Or, at the very least, just do the first quest in the chain because it's not so bad compared to the rest.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

"How am I an rear end in a top hat if the only reason being an rear end in a top hat worked was because everyone I wronged was a much bigger rear end in a top hat?"

I mean no, you are still an rear end in a top hat, but goddammit you do have a point too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I've been in the expansions for so long that I've forgotten how much of a smug poo poo Alphinaud is in ARR.