Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The Behemoth FATE is fun if you can get people to not murder it instantly before the newbies get there. It doesn't help that, while it has a level sync option like most FATEs, the level sync for it is Level 70 at minimum. Despite the FATE itself being a Level 50 boss! :argh:

ThornBrain posted:

I've been in the expansions for so long that I've forgotten how much of a smug poo poo Alphinaud is in ARR.

Yeah, he is genuinely :smug: personified in ARR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The Behemoth FATE is fun if you can get people to not murder it instantly before the newbies get there. It doesn't help that, while it has a level sync option like most FATEs, the level sync for it is Level 70 at minimum. Despite the FATE itself being a Level 50 boss! :argh:

I've genuinely not seen the FATE since Heavensward so I had no idea they put the level sync so high. drat, that's going to be really hard to capture, too.

Epicmissingno posted:

Oh no. Quit now, and save yourself the agony.
Or, at the very least, just do the first quest in the chain because it's not so bad compared to the rest.

I plan to be an idiot and finish the Zodiac Saga again on Aggro. One time should be okay. Uhh... we'll find out I suppose.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Cruel idiot and detail entire process in LP? Every single set of mobs, every single fate.....

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CrashScreen posted:

I plan to be an idiot and finish the Zodiac Saga again on Aggro. One time should be okay. Uhh... we'll find out I suppose.

You poor, crazy bastard

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

this LP owns

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXVII: In Pursuit of the Past

It took us a while to get here, but Aggro's party are finally at the doorstep of the Enterprise's last known location. Dungeon hijinks aside, there shouldn't be any more issues acquiring the lost airship. And that means we're nearly prepared to face the Ixali Primal, Garuda. This is going to be a long update. Stone Vigil is one of the longest dungeons in the original A Realm Reborn release, and it has story cutscenes as well.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 2, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Have the devs gone into specifics on what will be trimmed/changed?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This dungeon is honestly pretty ho-hum after the past few. If it wasn't for the difficulty increase it wouldn't be notable at all; no real dialogue from the enemies, little secrets, etc...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Thank the gods for sparing me that inconvenience. I have quite enough to do already.

Whenever I think about ARR Alphinaud, it's this line in particular.

"I'm so glad you didn't die. It would've been such a pain in the rear end to find another Warrior of Light with my busy schedule. :smug:"

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Whenever I think about ARR Alphinaud, it's this line in particular.

"I'm so glad you didn't die. It would've been such a pain in the rear end to find another Warrior of Light with my busy schedule. :smug:"

He might have treated WoL like his grunt, but it's still adorable he used to worry about her fighting a single dragon.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A palette swap of a dragon we already defeated, no less.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

ThornBrain posted:

Have the devs gone into specifics on what will be trimmed/changed?

No specifics yet but it feels like 2.x over base ARR. This one has really only two bad stretches in Titan and coming up Garuda, the former is really bad until halfway through easy.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not going to lie, I forgot that there was a section between Stone Vigil and Garuda.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Not going to lie, I forgot that there was a section between Stone Vigil and Garuda.

There really needn't be

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'd lost my planning notes when my PC went and... turns out the next section is also a lot longer than I remember too.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Just abridge it more. There's a lot of useless back-and-forth and it's not even that funny.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Just have Crash wake up at the Scion base with a massive hangover and abridge it massively as she tells what happened to someone else.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I remember people complaining about the lead-up to Titan more than this next part, but I suppose I can understand why someone would think the opposite.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Happy new year everyone! Hope you've had a good time!

This update is a short one. If you want to see some padding before it's likely trimmed then here you are. If not, I highlight the skippable area as usual.

Chapter LXXVIII: Into the Eye of the Storm

Taking refuge in The Roost, Gridania was a welcome moment of respite for Aggro. After her quest to reacquire Cid's airship saw her tangled in a web of Ishgardian politics, the warmer climate and ever so slightly less xenophobic people of Gridania was a desired change.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 27, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Oh. I remember this nonsense now. Yeah this whole chunk could be deleted from the game and lose nothing.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I sort of like a segment that's coming up in the next update, but it also isn't worth everything around it. Still, it sets up a boss we'll be visiting after the ending. I think there's a couple of salvageable parts to this quest line as a whole, which we'll get to, but we could do without being told we have the wrong crystal because nobody asked what we need it for.

Also, the Burning Wall is cool.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fleeting Rays is one of my favourite bits of music in the game, which says a lot for this game in particular.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

ARR's quest slogs would be a lot better if they built more character dynamics with the NPCs tagging along. Unfortunately that's another thing they take until later to figure out.

SB especially also has some parts that were pretty obvious speed bumps, but that I still remember fondly because they really shook up the basic "WoL for stabbing/Alphinaud for talking" configuration they set up here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Of course! It's so simple that a child could understand it!
But allow me to dumb it down for our resident murderhobo. :smug:

I had forgotten this section of the game, but it's coming back to me now. This is unashamedly story filler.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Of course! It's so simple that a child could understand it!
But allow me to dumb it down for our resident murderhobo. :smug:

alphianud.jpg

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah at this point I was like "bro-"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I must say I approve of this abridged format. Good job with the update.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
i do like Alf's arc over the course of ARR, but hoo boy, does the opening and also first few patches of post-launch content drag

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i do like Alf's arc over the course of ARR, but hoo boy, does the opening and also first few patches of post-launch content drag

I was thinking about how Alpinaud's and WoL's character development reflect each other, and reading this LP I realized they are just a classic comedy duo in ARR. One is a strong but meek brute and the other a witty little bastard.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh no, they're Papalymo and Yda.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Huh, wow, I have completely forgot about this part. I remembered it being Ishgard, then Garuda.

The Burning Wall is cool (Really, one of my favorite details in Eorzea is all the crystal formations from the calamity), but wow at this part not just managing to be terrible, but forgetably terrible. At least with Company of Heroes and the Titan build up they will probably keep in a few bits so they can make some jokes at its expense.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, wow, I have completely forgot about this part. I remembered it being Ishgard, then Garuda.

The Burning Wall is cool (Really, one of my favorite details in Eorzea is all the crystal formations from the calamity), but wow at this part not just managing to be terrible, but forgetably terrible. At least with Company of Heroes and the Titan build up they will probably keep in a few bits so they can make some jokes at its expense.

Yeah, this whole sequence is probably going to be trimmed down to one quest that probably has three steps hitting glowies in different locations when the ARR MSQ update hits and nothing of importance will be lost. It's not quite the most egregious filler to ever lurk in the MSQ but it's pretty close and it comes right after the six-level sidequest chain that was Camp Dragonhead that is itself half a shaggy dog story in it's own right so it comes right as the player has run out of goodwill about why are we not stabbing the windy thing yet?

And while I'm all for the trimming all this is going to get, the greatest shame of losing the Company of Heroes bit in 5.3 would absolutely be new players not getting the same impact of watching that whole sequence get the absolute piss taken out of it later during the Stormblood patch cycle.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Oh no, they're Papalymo and Yda.

With a less of a dom/sub vibe fortunately. But yeah, I did find her and WoL to be pretty similar characters come to think of it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BioMe posted:

With a less of a dom/sub vibe

Uh, what?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think they're referring to how Papalymo is the straight man to Yda's funny man, with Yda always being the "D'oh, teehee" one while Papalymo gets frustrated with her antics.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Also there are a couple lines where they really lean on the "strict teacher" character trait to make a joke about it, which comes across slightly weird what with her being a grown woman.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Well. Expect that the LP will resume very soon.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh good. I've been forward to it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

Well. Expect that the LP will resume very soon.

Tell me... for whom do you LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

I've picked up the game not very long ago, and I've gotten all the way to Shadowbringers as a WHM. Honestly, I was not expecting to like the game as much as I did! Although the plot takes a bit to really get going, once it steps on the gas it rarely backs off. Hopefully you can power through the rest of ARR and get to the good bits soon!