Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Roluth posted:

Honestly, I was not expecting to like the game as much as I did! Although the plot takes a bit to really get going, once it steps on the gas it rarely backs off. Hopefully you can power through the rest of ARR and get to the good bits soon!

Same tbh - when I started I was expecting super generic mmo story and realistically that's what I got up until late 2.x, and then heavensward was a non stop rollecoaster of amazing.

Hoping that the 2.0/X rework coming this summer(?) is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Roluth posted:

I've picked up the game not very long ago, and I've gotten all the way to Shadowbringers as a WHM. Honestly, I was not expecting to like the game as much as I did! Although the plot takes a bit to really get going, once it steps on the gas it rarely backs off. Hopefully you can power through the rest of ARR and get to the good bits soon!

You're in for a treat. The writer who was initially brought on to do the DRK class quests got promoted and did the /entirety/ of the Shadowbringers MSQ, and /holy poo poo/ did she deliver.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

kaosdrachen posted:

You're in for a treat. The writer who was initially brought on to do the DRK class quests got promoted and did the /entirety/ of the Shadowbringers MSQ, and /holy poo poo/ did she deliver.

Just a slight correction. She wasn't "Brought on" to do the DRK class quests. She'd been writing for the company and the game even in ARR. She's responsible for some 2.X story beats, along with the Rogue class quests. Just a good case of a talented writer getting promoted to more important positions as her work is recognized.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Just a slight correction. She wasn't "Brought on" to do the DRK class quests. She'd been writing for the company and the game even in ARR. She's responsible for some 2.X story beats, along with the Rogue class quests. Just a good case of a talented writer getting promoted to more important positions as her work is recognized.

She also did the rogue storyline? Jebus everything she writes is gold.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

apostateCourier posted:

She also did the rogue storyline? Jebus everything she writes is gold.

Off the top of my head I believe she's also responsible for

EDIT: Just replaced it with an image slide

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Tell me... for whom do you LP?

How very glib.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm really glad this didn't lock (though I'm not quite sure on the timeframe for that). Expect an update later today after I sleep, and sorry it took so long. Things got busier as soon as the lockdown hit, and this week is the first of my annual leave in a while. On the plus, just like with my Christmas leave, I'll be churning out some updates. I'm hoping to get us through the entire Garuda section before I'm back to work, just in case I end up struggling with the updates again. After Garuda, we're mostly in the home stretch too.

I'm pretty sure a Windows Update screwed me over. After the update following this one, I haven't captured any audio. The devices got reset or something, so I'll be re-recording cutscenes as I go. That one really hurt. Thank god for the Inn.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Excellent, glad this is still going. I'm sure I'm never going to play XIV so I need you to keep going!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

This is the last update for my daft dream framing for the filler stuff. Like before, it's abridged (though the "boss" battle still takes up a fair chunk of the update), and pretty much mostly skippable. I added a bit in the lore bonus on its connections to an old 1.0 questline. The next update will be the last one I consider filler before we're back on track. It'll also be the last update with full audio in the videos for a while.

Chapter LXXIX: History Repeating

The party have recovered Cid's airship, but while Cid works on the repairs Aggro snoozes above, dreaming of ongoing adventures where she's taken to Aleport on a journey for the correctly aspected corrupt aether. She must visit Professor Lamberteint's pupil to discover the aetherial crystals she needs.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 29, 2020

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Out of all the filler junk in this whole section of the story, today's quests are honestly the most likely to stick around after the July trimming. It's easy to just have the Warrior of Light tell Lamberteint what they're after, skipping all the previous junk in the last update and going straight to Ceana. Then we can collect the correct aether from here and we're done. If it wasn't for the Siren stuff being used as a lede for a later (optional) dungeon, this entire update could probably be cut from the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Poor Siren. Not even a Primal.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well now, I expect we won't be seeing a busty winged lady boss again for a good long time after giving that Siren what-for.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

Well now, I expect we won't be seeing a busty winged lady boss again for a good long time after giving that Siren what-for.

You unlock her lighthouse as an optional Lv 50 dungeon, there are also several Blue Magic spells to be learned here.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cdyoung posted:

You unlock her lighthouse as an optional Lv 50 dungeon, there are also several Blue Magic spells to be learned here.

They're joking about the fact that Aggro is about to fight Garuda, another busty lady with wings.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Busty winged lady doesn't narrow it down here as much as you might think.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXX: The Curious Case of Giggity

In our previous updates, Aggro, Cid, and Alphinaud had recovered Cid's airship; however, it was in desperate need for repair. What's more, without the ability to pierce the winds protecting the Primal Garuda, the crew aren't able to get anywhere. Of course, it's fallen on Aggro to obtain a corrupted crystal of aether that would provide the Enterprise with that wind-piercing functionality.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 1, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I forgot there was a quest where you had to kill Quagmire.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

That update was not as sexy as the title led me to believe.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Well, we're out of the dragging part of the game. Things should be more interesting from here on out. And to those reading, keep up with your leveling roulettes so you don't end up like Aggro here. They are worth a lot of XP at low levels and you can't really outlevel the story anyways due to syncing.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Roluth posted:

Well, we're out of the dragging part of the game. Things should be more interesting from here on out. And to those reading, keep up with your leveling roulettes so you don't end up like Aggro here. They are worth a lot of XP at low levels and you can't really outlevel the story anyways due to syncing.

luckily 5.3 is going to trim AAR's fat.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXI: Lady of the Vortex

We're here, finally, at this moment. Since shortly after the fall of the Scions of the Seventh Dawn, Garuda's presence has been felt. Aggro and her party have gone through a lot of hoops, but it's time to face the Lady of the Vortex. Cid warns that the device to pierce Garuda's storm may not actually function, but there's no more time and he's done the best he can do without tests.

Putting aside the actual fight, the next two (or three?) updates are going to be very cutscene heavy.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 28, 2020

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Fallen Angel is such a good track, and it says something when I consider it still on the lower end of boss tracks for this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

If there's one thing I don't like, Garuda is basically "Ifrit but crazy". Which really just goes to show how little personality Ifrit had in the early story that they could basically just recycle his traits for Garuda.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

If there's one thing I don't like, Garuda is basically "Ifrit but crazy". Which really just goes to show how little personality Ifrit had in the early story that they could basically just recycle his traits for Garuda.

They get more personality in the Beast Tribe quests. Ifrit's thing is that he's really big on domination and worship, none of the other primals temper as many mortals, much less demand that their servants bring them the untempered to make them slaves. Garuda is just a force of destruction and rarely tempers anyone but her own worshipers - she'd rather just kill people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, good to know. It's been a long time since I did those.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oh, good to know. It's been a long time since I did those.

Of the primals that have been talked about and seen so far, only Ifrit and Leviathan actually make a point of seeking out and tempering people beyond the race that worships them. Titan and Garuda would rather just kill people, though they aren't above tempering people outside their existing worshipers if they think it would make a point to their enemies, and Ramuh tries to avoid tempering anyone at all.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

They're joking about the fact that Aggro is about to fight Garuda, another busty lady with wings.

It just seems an odd design choice to make two unrelated bosses in a row be busty winged ladies.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Fallen Angel will always be stuck in my head because it took me about 2 weeks to clear this fight when I first played it as a BLM and had terrible luck with DF parties and no one in the FC would help me. :argh:

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Fallen Angel will always be stuck in my head because it took me about 2 weeks to clear this fight when I first played it as a BLM and had terrible luck with DF parties and no one in the FC would help me. :argh:

It should be noted too, that the mechanics of this fight were a lot harder on launch, and Garuda has been heavily nerfed since, in addition to power creep more or less neutering her threat level. I think she outright had some mechanics changed/removed too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember the first time I fought Garuda. The Tank ran around her in circles, causing her to keep spinning to follow him. She died before doing any mechanics.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah I did it recently while leveling up a tank and we only wiped once because the healer died from constantly stepping in the bad. A lot easier compared to my first time.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 3, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Oh, also

:ughh:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The head localiser is Koji Fox. You ain't seen nothing yet!

Sgt Thud posted:

It should be noted too, that the mechanics of this fight were a lot harder on launch, and Garuda has been heavily nerfed since, in addition to power creep more or less neutering her threat level. I think she outright had some mechanics changed/removed too.

This is true, but I think the biggest difficulty with the upcoming Garuda fight was returning to it after getting familiar with the hard or extreme mode versions. The difference used to always mess me up!

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

I remember the first time I fought Garuda. The Tank ran around her in circles, causing her to keep spinning to follow him. She died before doing any mechanics.

Ah yeah, the ol' Mario Kart strategy. I believe it's been fixed to not work so easily anymore.

CrashScreen posted:

This is true, but I think the biggest difficulty with the upcoming Garuda fight was returning to it after getting familiar with the hard or extreme mode versions. The difference used to always mess me up!

If I recall, the mechanics of the current Hard mode used to be the Normal, and vice-versa, just with the numbers tuned for the correct level. Thing is, those original arrangements of mechanics were uh...not friendly to a 4 person party, and also I think she was overtuned a bit. She had an untelegraphed spin attack that near one-shotted melee DPS I think I read about.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I just recall the hard mode being way easier than the story mode, whether that was due to mechanics or simply having 4 more people in the party I'm not sure.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I just recall the hard mode being way easier than the story mode, whether that was due to mechanics or simply having 4 more people in the party I'm not sure.

More people and better gear. The range of gear you get in normal is extremely narrow, as is the case with any content not at a level cap, so there's much less of a HP and damage buffer.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Alright, this is a little sad and I loved this community a lot, even if I spent most of my time lurking and not being too active when things got busy, but I won't be continuing the LP on SA while Lowtax owns it. If you're not sure what the deal is, just check the front page of SA, the first page of this very subforum, or take a look at this thread.

I've backed up the LP and I will continue it. Just not here. The SALP folk are hard at work creating an alternative board for this subforum, and the mods and admins are looking to work out the situation for SA's future. It'd be ideal if we could stay here, further divorced from Lowtax, but the odds aren't great. Right now, folk are fragmenting into Discords, but if you're interested in LP then I particularly suggest the Something Awful LP Talk server, which was posted in the Sandcastle. I believe it's better if we all move together rather than into separate, fragmented communities. SSLP as a medium particularly relies on that.

For anyone that wants to stay in touch, I have a Twitter account with the same username, but I'll also pop on to the old @CrashScreenSA account once in a while for folk wanting to avoid the absolute state my personal timeline is. I'll also be hovering around on the Discords.

This has been great and it's been a wonderful project. Thanks for all the support from everyone. I'm sorry I wasn't able to at least finish A Realm Reborn before this happened, but I hope you'll join me to see the end of ARR and beyond wherever we might land when this is all over. Keep an eye out for that alternative board or for an SA without Lowtax. gently caress him.

e: Check the Sandcastle thread. It's where most of the non-Discord conversation around this is located.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 24, 2020

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well nuts. Thanks for your work on this LP so far, and I hope you can finish it somewhere, sometime (as much as one can "finish" an LP of an ongoing MMO).

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That admin announcement was not very confidence inspiring. The SALP folk have put together LP Beach though, and there are a lot of names moving over to it. I'll probably start posting there soon, too, but I'm just figuring out what to do with the backlog of posts we have in this thread. Anyway, I recommend you all take a look and see if the board is for you. It'd be nice to see more familiar faces avatars in there.

e: Well, that's certainly some good news. If that deal goes through then the forums aren't going to get nuked and no longer support the wife beater. I'm glad it only took a couple of days to move like this.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

A Forum Reborn.