Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Feels weird to be business as usual again so soon after all of that, but given the announcement I'll be posting the updates here again. Expect the next update in the next couple of days. Sorry to bring drama in here too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I appreciate any and all goons who were ready and willing to say "gently caress lowtax"

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I appreciate any and all goons who were ready and willing to say "gently caress lowtax"

Not an empty quote. :hai:

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXII: The Howling Eye

After battling through the frozen highlands of Coerthas, navigating the chilly Ishgardian politics, traipsing around Eorzea for corrupt crystals, and trying not to get burned out by forum politics, Aggro is now facing down the Lady of the Vortex, Garuda. It's time to save Eorzea for the third time.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 4, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
You master of suspense. :argh:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CrashScreen posted:

Garuda has only previously appeared as a summon in Final Fantasy XI, making her an interesting choice as a Primal here. After XIV, she's returned as a summon again in Final Fantasy XV. An interesting note about the FFXV iteration is that she also appears as a Trial boss in FFXIV for the XV collaboration event. I've got footage of that somewhere, so I can probably cover it at some point too.

This is all very Ouroboros-ish, since she only got added to XV as part of a XIV crossover event. And technically, you don't get Garuda as a summon in XIV; she was a boss, and you get a very Garuda-like summon instead, whose name I forget.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

The Primals are basically summons in lore and are generally based on existing FF summons but yeah, the egis Summoners can use are more like replications made from your own aether than the actual Primal itself. For all intents and purposes though, you can basically use a version of her in XIV.

Incidentally, I believe there was actually going to be a Free Company mechanic that allowed you to summon Primals, but that got dropped from conversation so long ago that it's probably a long canned mechanic.

e: Tbh I can be a bit clearer in that section. I wasn't really talking about the egi (I was saving them for Summoner chat) and was referring more to the appearances of summons in relation to them being a source of inspiration for Primals, whether they're available in this game like the Garuda-egi or not. I'll make an edit later.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 28, 2020

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

The Primals are basically summons in lore and are generally based on existing FF summons but yeah, the egis Summoners can use are more like replications made from your own aether than the actual Primal itself. For all intents and purposes though, you can basically use a version of her in XIV.

Incidentally, I believe there was actually going to be a Free Company mechanic that allowed you to summon Primals, but that got dropped from conversation so long ago that it's probably a long canned mechanic.

e: Tbh I can be a bit clearer in that section. I wasn't really talking about the egi (I was saving them for Summoner chat) and was referring more to the appearances of summons in relation to them being a source of inspiration for Primals, whether they're available in this game like the Garuda-egi or not. I'll make an edit later.

Egis are pretty explicitly a chunk of the gestalt Primal, peeling away some of the power used for the actual Primal's summoning.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I've edited the section Schwartzcough commented on, but also I added your quote because I didn't actually know that XV!Garuda was only made as part of a collaboration with XIV. That's an interesting little detail.

apostateCourier posted:

Egis are pretty explicitly a chunk of the gestalt Primal, peeling away some of the power used for the actual Primal's summoning.

My bad! I totally misremembered. It's been ages since I did those Summoner quests, but it looks like I managed to muck up my notes on them too. IIRC there's a lot of good lore in those quests, so it might be worth my while exploring the job in the LP as Aggro at some point? Though that'll definitely be some time after Dragoon since I'm aiming to do that before Heavensward.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 28, 2020

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It is just the damage output being a lot higher, if you purposefully fight her slower she will do the extra mistral songs. (Or if you have 'minimum item level' checked in the duty finder)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Garuda seems to be the default Wind Summon now, from what I can tell.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Hopefully they add in new game plus for job quests at some point. It's the obvious next thing to add to that after the ARR rework gets put in there.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXIII: Free Wing Night
After a long time grieving, chasing airships, fighting dragons, and collecting the wrong aether clusters, Aggro has finally taken on the deadly Primal called Garuda and won.

It's not really clear how much Cid and Alphinaud had an impact given how heavily the rebound tempering magic left Garuda weakened, but at least she won't be getting powered back up in a moment.

Oh, nevermind. The Ixali on the side seem fine.

Ahhh, impossible!

Kill you all!

(Other garbled dialogue. It's not actually given a text bubble and they all speak over each other.)

Suddenly, an unfamiliar voice rings out across the Coerthan lowlands.

Music: Imperial Will

Of all primals, the most terrible. I say again...IS—that—all!?

Gaius loves his dramatic appearances. It reminds me of a scene in 1.0 when he decides to fight all the Scions, and successfully pushes them all back on his own. Come to think of it, I might be misremembering but that was around the Garuda update before that game shut down?

Gaius!?

Ah, Cid, my boy. You look well—for one who has forsaken kin and country. I wonder, what else will you forsake before the day is done. What exactly did you hope to accomplish here this day?

Gaius keeps making remarks at Cid, but continues to unabashedly interrupt him, genuinely leaving Cid confused.

The Ixal, who either stood by and watched their priests get slaughtered or who Alphinaud and Cid failed to slaughter, decide that they won't tolerate Gaius' ignorant behaviour and attack him.

Undaunted by their advance, Gaius starts mowing them down with his magitek gun.

It doesn't take long until there are no more Ixali left.

Insolent mortal! I shall make you suffer!

Garuda then suddenly starts addressing Aggro. With no clear indication, it almost seems like she's responding to Gaius.

That foul stench... I see now... She has touched you! Very well.

Music: One Blood

She starts to gather herself.

Without giving much time for her audience to think, Garuda unleashes an attack at the captive beastmen before her.

The voice acting for these tribes... leave a lot to be desired.

Yeah. poo poo's about to hit the fan.

Garuda, Ifrit, and Titan... is a lot even for Aggro to take on. Don't forget how dangerous Primals are at the best of times, nevermind the sheer threat they pose to anyone that isn't Aggro either.

Alphinaud and Cid just book it, along with Aggro, leaving Gaius alone with the Primals.

Surrender yourself unto me... I would feast upon your aether. NONE SHALL STAND AGAINST THE WIND!

(Soundtrack ends)

So, things have gotten really crazy and now there are three Primals together and a Garlean General.

Uhh... so. Where do we go from here?

Up above, a bunch of magitek weapons carry in another, much larger magitek weapon. There's something rather ominous about it.

Music: Imperial Will

The larger weapon is released.

It lands, still obscured by the dust and debris that the landing kicked up. Ifrit has to leap out the way to evade being crushed.

Ifrit struggles, flailing its arms around as the magitek weapon lifts him by his horn.

And just like that, the Lord of the Inferno is dead.

Slaying the Primal also provides this weapon a power up too.

It turns to face Titan.

Even Titan's might isn't enough as his punch is blocked and then he, too, is lifted into the air and left vulnerable.

Meanwhile, the mysterious weapon takes out Titan with just a simple, single punch.

And just like that, the weapon powers up again, this time receiving armour plating.

One Primal left.

Garuda already knows her fate.

Ancient Allag had ways of dealing with your kind. Now, look on their ultimate weapon, eikon, and despair!

The weapon swings for Garuda, but she takes to the air.

Unfortunately for her, this weapon has six legs and can lift the front of its body pretty high. It grabs her.

The crazy magitek monster just tears right into Garuda, eating her.

And now the loving thing has wings.

The scene changes to the sky, back with the flying magitek towers that carried this monstrous weapon here.

Perched on one of them is Lahabrea. It looks like he was the one behind Gaius' new weapon.

If your leaders are as wise as they are reported, they will surrender.

Gaius stands on one of the weapon's claws, gloating about the success of his new monster.

With his monologue over, it's time for Gaius to leave.

And of course, he leaves as dramatically as he arrived. Flying away into the dark horizon in the hand of his brand new Primal-eating monster.

Music: Fever Dream

And who was that armored devil!?

That was Gaius van Baelsar, legatus of the XIVth Imperial Legion, and supreme commander of the Garlean invasion force in Eorzea.

Of course, the Black Wolf—how could I not realize? Grandfather mentions him in his journal!

What have you been doing these past five years? How could something of this magnitude have escaped the Alliance's attention?

We heard no whispers, saw no signs. In the wake of the Calamity, the Empire seized land and built outposts, but that was the extent of their aggression.

drat it, Gaius, where in the seven hells did you find that thing?

It has been a day of unexpected developments, but the fact remains: Garuda is no longer a threat. While I take no comfort in the manner of her downfall, it does mean that we may safely put the matter of the primals to one side—for the time being, at least.

Which just leaves the matter of Gaius's new toy.

All is not yet lost, my friend—for we bear the light, and shall surely lead our people from the darkness.

And so ends our battle with Garuda. The arc ends rather climatically. Gaius has a new and dangerous weapon, finally putting the Garleans to the forefront as our enemy. The days of Primal chasing are over and it's now time to enter our penultimate arc.

Truly, a more effective deterrent I could not imagine. It almost seems a shame to plot its destruction...

And that's us. Alphinaud also comments on seeing something when Garuda tried to temper Aggro, but chooses not to elaborate and assumes he was seeing things. Who knows what it could be.

For our efforts, we also get to pick a new head piece. For Aggro, this is another bit of tanking gear but with Lancers/Dragoons also able to equip it.

Anyway, that's a lot to digest so we'll continue next time. We'll be taking news of Gaius' new weapon to the Eorzean Alliance. How will they conclude to resolve this new and imminent threat?

The new weapon has actually appeared in a previous cutscene, back in chapter 17 of the LP.

CrashScreen posted:

It's hard to tell what it is, but it certainly seems ominous.

It showed up when we departed on an airship for the very first time, and Gaius gave us some narration on the Garlean Invasion attempts so far. There's not much to see, though. It's just being airlifted like we saw earlier in this update.

Chapter Summary

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 4, 2020

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

If I don't manage to post the next update by the end of the week, expect it to be another week or two late due to the upcoming patch. The new MSQ addition alone is apparently clocked at around 7 hours.

On the plus side, we're out of the Garuda arc! Two more narrative sections left and we've finished A Realm Reborn (vanilla). Anything post-credits will also be the trimmed, tidier version of the post-ARR content.

e: Also fixed a typo in the update. Aggro apparently chased her own grieving before I fixed it.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 4, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This is the exact moment that A Realm Reborn becomes magical. :allears:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Well that was certainly an effective amount of escalation.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I had honestly forgotten that Cid had a VA for this scene. I just remember him being voiced for something later on and wondering why they bothered to voice him for one scene in the game. Maybe I should try out the NG+ feature one of these days. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eighties ZomCom posted:

I had honestly forgotten that Cid had a VA for this scene. I just remember him being voiced for something later on and wondering why they bothered to voice him for one scene in the game. Maybe I should try out the NG+ feature one of these days. :v:

In 7 days the ARR rework hits and ARR NG+ will be added to the game.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah I'm kinda tempted to try it out just to see how much of it they streamlined.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Not to mention they upgraded the free trial to lvl 60 now so you pretty much get the full game for free and I think Heavensward as well if I remember right.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cooked Auto posted:

Not to mention they upgraded the free trial to lvl 60 now so you pretty much get the full game for free and I think Heavensward as well if I remember right.

Yup, Heavensward all the way to the end of the Post-game. So about 4 video games worth of content? for free.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cooked Auto posted:

Not yet. That's coming with the big patch next week.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

In a sense, the content I've covered for this LP isn't even close to half the content that'll be free with the trial changes coming soon. It's great, to be honest, and I've definitely been hounding more people to try the game out.

Incidentally, I know the early days of the thread got a few folk into the game. If there's anyone that hasn't tried it yet, next week will be the perfect time to start.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

In a sense, the content I've covered for this LP isn't even close to half the content that'll be free with the trial changes coming soon. It's great, to be honest, and I've definitely been hounding more people to try the game out.

Incidentally, I know the early days of the thread got a few folk into the game. If there's anyone that hasn't tried it yet, next week will be the perfect time to start.

Yeah, game good. Been playing for 6 months now, and I'm angling for a certain camel bird from getting all classes to max level.

help me

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Cythereal posted:

Not yet. That's coming with the big patch next week.

Eh, close enough. v:v:v

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how this LP is a time capsule of so many features that got tweaked. :allears:

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
So yeah, that just escalated just a bit...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

I will probably break down and finally try the game at some point after the patch, which from all accounts seems exceedingly generous.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I will probably break down and finally try the game at some point after the patch, which from all accounts seems exceedingly generous.

Free up till 60 and heavensward comes free now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Trial is insanely good value and if you're not hooked after Heavensward then honestly I don't think FF is for you.

Game is great, new content is great, I'm hype to roll an alt and see if the MSQ is any better now

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

Game is great, new content is great, I'm hype to roll an alt and see if the MSQ is any better now

I'm planning to do exactly that once I'm done with the new MSQ content.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Just being able to fly in the A Realm Reborn areas feels like a game changer. It's so weird to see these places I've grown so familiar with in such a new way.

I'm looking to play through ARR again to see the differences myself, but if anyone sees anything in my updates that's changed then feel free to point it out. It'll probably be a while before I can catch up to the LP.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
There are a couple places I've seen where you can land and run around that you couldn't before, though they serve no purpose other than gpose locations. Off the top of my head the two biggest ones are The ruins that are Pharos Sirius in Western La Noscea, on that note you no longer need the Isles of Umbra ferry and the bridge leading to Ishgard. You can't sequence break it though, you still have to talk to the dude to go in there.

Still, it really is a game changer for just the travel ease alone. No more having to run from one side of Coerthas to the other when you can just fly over in a straight line. No more having to use the Outer La Noscea warp point to get to the west side of Bronze Lake/Upper La Noscea. No more having to know for sure whether you want the Costa Del Sol side or the Wineport side when you go to Eastern La Noscea. There's a lot more but those are the standouts.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

I'm currently right before Titan in the free trial (who was effectively its MSQ final boss until now), so I guess I'll be keeping an eye out for any surprises when I'm pushing forward again.

(edit) Well, found one bit of streamlining already; when you're fetching those tools for "Marques" to fix a clock, now you get both of them from one guy in Drybone just down the hill instead of having to go all the way to Ul'dah. And the two filler quests after it are either optional or gone altogether.

Quantum Toast fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 14, 2020

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Streamlined MSQ report: I have caught up to the LP.

Character created: August 12th
Total playtime: 1 day 5 hours 17 minutes (over a lot of short sessions, so you could probably trim it down if you play more than like an hour at a time)

Not 100% sure how much time was spent faffing but I've been generally pretty driven. Probably a grand total of an hour, maybe hour and half sitting in dungeon queues because ~DPS~

Most of the suffering experienced thus far has been removed, though. The story beats are effectively the same but for each major point there's been one or two make-work quests removed, making the whole thing feel overall more cohesive and well paced, to the point of some parts even feeling a little rushed. Titan and Garuda still have you running all over the place for no good reason, but at least each section takes like a third of the time.

Overall, everything feels a hell of a lot better, so if the rough MSQ was the reason you hadn't picked this up yet, now's the time!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Right, that's good to hear to some degree. Stripping a third off the worst cases would have probably made my time re-running it a lot better. The only other area I had a personal issue with was the trip to Upper La Noscea during the Sylph stuff in the MSQ, since that kind of went severely against the urgency of the situation and I realise that has to stay to give Upper La Noscea some relevancy.

Seems like a good overall change. I'm actually really interested in seeing how the patch content has improved since I last played it... 6 - 7 years ago. drat. It'll be fun to see (and try to remember) the differences during the LP recording.

Incidentally, I've spent my time with the new patch and it's amazing and wonderful and I love it. Now that I'm done with the meat of it, the LP is back in focus again so I'll hopefully have an update by the end of the coming week. It's not like I need to spend time recording it anymore until we hit credits either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Speaking of the Sylphs, I'm sad that some of the culled quests include the section before Ramuh where the enthralled Sylphs impersonate the Scions.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Speaking of the Sylphs, I'm sad that some of the culled quests include the section before Ramuh where the enthralled Sylphs impersonate the Scions.

I don't even remember this one. Gonna have to dig through my old screenshots.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Here are some screenshots from Twitter. Spoilers for the post 2.0 patches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Here are some screenshots from Twitter. Spoilers for the post 2.0 patches.

... I would have been okay with keeping this quest.