Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Agreed! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Apparently they still put in references to it happening offscreen, but...yeah. It will be missed.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Strange that they took out something memorable like that when they left in plenty of "I don't trust you enough to help you until you bring me three hornet butts and a shrubbery" quests. (I am enjoying the free trial, though).

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Alas, despite my aetheryte earring and friendship band exp bonuses, the MSQ exp ran out at level 47. However, one roulette and one AV run later, I was in the high range of 49 and the MSQ has been a breeze since.

Overall my exp boosts were the aforementioned gear, hunt log 1-10 plus one or two items from the 11-20 range, most of the unlock quests I could grab on the way, 2 roulettes, and one non-roulette dungeon. So, basically, even without other boosts, if you do a handful of roulettes while levelling you'll probably never hit an MSQ level lockout.

oooh ooh other big improvement: all the dungeons that you'd normally unlock from your grand company are now regular unlock quests on the MSQ route. One MSQ quest in Coerthas even takes you to the Dzemael Darkhold and Aurum Vale entrances to make sure you can unlock them without going too far out of your way.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Schwartzcough posted:

Strange that they took out something memorable like that when they left in plenty of "I don't trust you enough to help you until you bring me three hornet butts and a shrubbery" quests. (I am enjoying the free trial, though).

They kept in the dang Titan Company of Heroes quests. Those are just so insulting.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Silegna posted:

They kept in the dang Titan Company of Heroes quests. Those are just so insulting.

They actually removed most of the busy work ones though. No more killing lizards in the desert or collecting shrubs in the shroud, or wildlife in la noscea. You go to each member of the company and just do their specific main task immediately (straight to the adamantoise egg/worm steak/wine/etc.).

Makes it feel like they're testing you, but a lot less dragged out, actually. They also no longer force you to set up the feast yourself first, and simply throw it for you so it feels like a proper reward more.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

They actually removed most of the busy work ones though. No more killing lizards in the desert or collecting shrubs in the shroud, or wildlife in la noscea. You go to each member of the company and just do their specific main task immediately (straight to the adamantoise egg/worm steak/wine/etc.).

Makes it feel like they're testing you, but a lot less dragged out, actually. They also no longer force you to set up the feast yourself first, and simply throw it for you so it feels like a proper reward more.

Okay, that's a lot better. I'm playing through on my alt right now.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Still takes three tries to get the right kind of crystal for Garuda, too, but each try seems to have been streamlined a decent amount.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Quantum Toast posted:

Still takes three tries to get the right kind of crystal for Garuda, too, but each try seems to have been streamlined a decent amount.

It's only a single quest each time, so it's the best version of it they could have done. The final step doesn't require you to wander all over creation. Instead you step outside of the White Wolf Gate, kill one quest mob, and you're back. Takes less than 2 minutes.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Yeah, unfortunately they have to keep part of it to introduce Siren, since that comes up again later.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Sgt Thud posted:

Yeah, unfortunately they have to keep part of it to introduce Siren, since that comes up again later.

That and it teaches you about the different elemental attuned crystals.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXIV: Reclamation

With no more Primals to contend with, the Garleans have taken centre stage as our biggest foe. We're out of the B Plot and into the A Plot. However, there's little that an engineer, a scholar, and a single god-slayer can do against an army—especially one with a weapon capable of slaying the Primals quicker than our own slayer. It's time to rebuild our forces.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 20, 2020

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I can confirm, actually, that the last cutscene in the update is actually still in the game. It may not be in the inn book anymore, for whatever reason, but it still plays for that quest!

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

That's really odd. I wonder why it's not in the Inn? Thanks for the confirmation! I'll edit the post.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

You misspelled male as mail in one of Portelaine's dialogue lines by the way.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Whoops, yeah. Fixed it, thanks.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the name of the next quest is Notorious Biggs? This is around the point where I realized that Koji Fox needed to be stopped.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think the name of the next quest is Notorious Biggs? This is around the point where I realized that Koji Fox needed to be stopped.

He's only grown more powerful with the latest round of crafting mats. At least one of the descriptions on them is an outright war crime of puns.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Sounds like something you need to share with the class!

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

CrashScreen posted:

Sounds like something you need to share with the class!

k

(spoilers for HW onward, I guess?)

"outgot" is the stupidest thing I've ever heard and it's brilliant in its dad joke energy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Koji Fox must be stopped, but I fear that it is too late now.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

They've straight up given him a free pass on the new crafting ingredients, huh?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
More or less. Apocalypse Puns.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Okay, so I'm just about done with the next update and we're almost at the new area. That brings me to a point I've been thinking about for a while. I'd like to collect screenshots to show some of the changes to the area. I've taken some screenshots myself during A Realm Reborn, but honestly some of them just aren't good tbh. Would anyone happen to have old images they'd like to share? I have an idea for something I can poorly execute when we get there, but I'd need a good selection of images to work with.

e: tl;dr Does anyone that played during ARR still have screenshots of Revenant's Toll as it changed through the patches? Let me know if you can spare me any!

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 16, 2020

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Update is pretty much done but I'm trying to get some last shots of the new location. In the mean time:

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1306327636226928646

This is some cool news. FFXVI was announced, and this game's director and producer will be producing it. Yoshida is really reliable and very good at his job (hell, just check out the stories from the incredible NoClip documentary), so that's exciting enough nevermind how good the footage looked.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Strange that Yoshi had just come out in an interview denying rumors he was in charge, so now that interview comes across as "WHAT ME IN CHARGE OF A MAINLINE GAME?! NOOOOO NEVER! (please look forward to the offical announcement)

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXV: Monumental Hopes

We've entered the final act. Aggro and the free Scions are preparing a big rescue of their allies, deep in a Garlean Castrum; however, it seems like the engineers Biggs and Wedge are also in trouble. We need to rescue them first.

Also, as a heads up, there wasn't any audio in the footage I recorded, so I've edited in some music so the clips have something.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 27, 2020

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't tell if Gaius' line to Livia is supposed to be him wanting to speak with her about something important or it's the way I've always read it: a booty call.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I can't tell if Gaius' line to Livia is supposed to be him wanting to speak with her about something important or it's the way I've always read it: a booty call.

That's the joke I was making when I read it at least. :v:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Pretty sure it was a booty call.

And yes, this game is worth playing just for all the top-tier pun quest names.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXVI: Revenant's Toll

The Garlond Works crew are together at last. Cid was reunited with both Biggs and Wedge, leaving the rescue of the Scions our next task. Unfortunately, they're locked deep inside an Imperial Castrum. What are our next steps? Well, let's talk to Cid and find out.

CrashScreen fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 4, 2020

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I remember sneaking down to Mor Dhona when I first played the game before/concurrently to Heavensward's release, long before I was leveled for it, (not that I got that far in the story before I stopped playing anyway). Thought I was going nuts when I went there again when I picked the game back up last year; everything looked completely different but I couldn't pinpoint why.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I remember activating as many Aetherytes as I could, possibly with the help of a friend at some points. Northern Thanalan in particular is veeeery scary to go to when you're a little baby sprout.

I knew there was a location in Heavensward that changed, but I had no idea that Revenant's Toll did, too! I don't think there's any comparable areas in Stormblood or Shadowbringers, though, beyond a few adjustments for Beast Tribe Quests.

Also, as you went through Mor Dhona, I found myself wondering: will you be playing with (the very fun) Blue Mage after Praetorium? Or mentioning the Blue Mage adds that got added in to old areas?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 27, 2020

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Also, as you went through Mor Dhona, I found myself wondering: will you be playing with (the very fun) Blue Mage after Praetorium? Or mentioning the Blue Mage adds that got added in to old areas?

I plan to eventually get to it, yeah, though I've not had the time to delve into it enough on my main so I'm going to have to do my homework on that last point.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Interesting, I had no idea about the history of Mor Dhona. Thank you for showing us.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
The same deal happened to the other expansion's endgame hubs, although sometimes it's more subtle than others.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Chapter LXXXVII: Poisoned Hearts

Music: A New Hope

In an effort to reach level 46 and continue the MSQ, Aggro has passed the threshold for her next job quest. Jenlyns has the level 45 quest over in Hustings Strip.

He's still hunting the previous Captain of the Sultansworn in an effort to retrieve the sword heirloom, Oathkeeper. Aggro has been assisting him as the first Free Paladin, and it seems like Jenlyns' research has taken him to ex-Captain Solkzagyl's promotion. It does not look good.

Curious, I begged the favor of an old friend and received permission to inspect medical records kept by Frondale's Phrontistery. I discovered that the soldiers died in various ways—some in combat, some suddenly at night, in the barracks... But in nearly ever case, there were signs that poison had played a role in their demise.

And with their deaths, the way was open for Solkzagyl to become the Sultansworn's youngest captain in a century. The Monetarists were plotting to kill the best and bravest of the Sultansworn, to purge its ranks of greatness, and enervate it so that it could no longer carry out its duty to serve as sword and shield of the sultanate. There can be only one explanation—he was the Monetarists' cat's-paw, the turncloak in our midst.

Believe it or not, I omitted a few dialogue bubbles. Jenlyns is one of the longest mologuers in Eorzea. Anyway, that was our mandatory exposition out of the way. As before, a lot of the Paladin questline's story takes place off-screen. With the story out of the way, we can be given our task. It's a little bit less arbitrary this time.

Yes! We're getting free equipment. Jenlyns has left some of this Gallant armour stored in chests, scattered across Southern Thanalan. Each chest is guarded by two members of the Sultansworn that Aggro must defeat to claim the armour.

Music: To The Sun

Our first chest is located just outside the gates of Little Ala Mhigo, at some old ruins. I'm fairly sure we were here for a Paladin quest before.

The Squire serves as the healer for the fight, while the Elite uses Gladiator actions.

Word of wisdom here: if you see Stoneskin being cast then interrupt it as soon as you can. Stoneskin was an old Conjurer/White Mage ability which gave the target a shield equal to 10% of the target's max HP. The Squire will use this more than once, and that's putting aside their self-heals. You don't want to deal with it, or the fight will actually take forever.

Let's collect our reward.

I'm not going to lie. I forgot we actually got the armour during the quest and expected it to just be a key item for now. This isn't the case and we can equip it immediately. While the Gallant set is predominately level 45 (body aside—we'll get to that later), it has the stats of a level 50 set. That's pretty much what the item level means. This is the best thing we can equip right now.

The next piece is directly below us, in a set of ruins that were clearly fractured during an earthquake of sorts.

This chest gives us an upgrade for our leg equipment. Direct Hit Rate and Tenacity are neither as exciting as the Critical Hit the hands gave us, but an upgrade is an upgrade. Ignore the -19 defence/magic defence penalty. Aggro's current leg gear takes up two slots, so the Gallant Guisses will actually still be a gain for us once we fill the boot slot with whatever we have lying around.

The last two are both over at the ruins outside the Sunken Temple of Qarn.

On the left hand side, Aggro finds a reason to not care about the lack of quality boots. That problem resolved itself.

Are we murdering these men? No. Surely that's not the case. We've just knocked them out. That's all.

The last piece is a small crown, which would help complete the Paladin look if we could get a hold of the body piece. Unfortunately, that won't be for another quest. There are also no Gallant belts or accessories—we've gotta figure those out ourselves.

With our task complete, it's time to return to Jenlyns in Ul'dah.

Yes, the time has come. I have discovered his hiding place, and made contact through emissaries. We are negotiating the return of Oathkeeper.

See what I said earlier about the Paladin story happening off-screen.

I have told Solkzagyl that if he returns the sword, we will give him a fair trial. The parley is to take place south of Forgotten Spring in the Sagolii Desert. Give me your map and I will mark the location.

Okay. If this wasn't an MMO, I'd be questioning why Aggro has to go alone without Jenlyns. Ordinarily, our party members would travel with us unseen (like when Aggro arrived at Revenant's Toll with her allies). Because of this restriction, the game basically has to spell Jenlyns's next line out to us.

In fact, I believe that should the Monetarists discover Solkzagyl is willing to parley, they will surely try to intervene. Therefore, we must not speak of what we do, not to anyone. We should travel separately, so as not to attract attention.

Between claiming Solkzagyl will get a free trial, and then suggesting we travel separately from each other, Jenlyns is acting strange. Fortunately, he's a Paladin—Captain of the Sultansworn—and shouldn't be capable of underhanded tricks. Unlike the previous Captain.

Oh.

Ohhhhh.

(Soundtrack ends.)

Music: Fracture

Come, come, confess. My allies within the Sultansworn have told me the truth. I know you are working in league with the traitor and the Monetarists.

Jenlyns unsheathes his blade as he threatens Aggro.

The adventurer can only shake her head in denial. We all know she's innocent.

(Soundtrack ends)

You are a naive fool. I suspected you from the beginning, ever since you showed me the Soul of the Paladin that the traitor Solkzagyl gave you. You were, no matter how briefly, a paladin, and as such, you are bound by a code of honor that is as unforgiving as it is noble.

Music: A Fine Death

Music: A Fine Death

Well, Jenlyns is kind of a piece of poo poo. For someone who talks about honour a lot, he sure is so blinded by his vengeance that he's willing to cast it aside to trap and murder a single adventurer that has, by this point, famously saved his city and others before. Can you imagine what would happen to Eorzea if their Temper-Resistant God Slayer perished here?

The rule of attacking specifically whoever is drawn to you doesn't apply here. Just AoE the gently caress out of them. There's five enemies so there's little reason not to.

(Jenlyns Straightblade) Save whatever dignity you have left and accept your fate!

There's not much dignity in attacking one single person 5 vs 1, and there'll be even less dignity left for you once Aggro kicks all of your asses.

Let's go!

And, the Squires and Elite all drop like flies. Jenlyns already had us train by defeating his own men. They won't stop us now.

How dare you use our arts against us!

You taught us it!

Jenlyns uses two main, avoidable attacks on us. The first is Bloodstain, which is the NPC version of Circle of Scorn—an ability that we may or may not have depending on the current patch. It's an AoE surrounding the user that can inflict a DoT, but I'm unsure if the NPC version has the DoT property.

Confess, drat you, confess!

His other attack is Spirits Without—the NPC version of Spirits Within. It just targets a rectangular area in front of him, so it's easy to dodge. I'm not sure if it shares the damage scaling on HP property that the player has or not, but I heavily doubt it.

He can also use Inspirit to give himself haste. The thing is... Jenlyns can be stunned. Just stop him from using it when he starts to cast Inspirit.

The fight repeats after this. He's not too hard to beat.

It's kind of pathetic for the Captain of the Sultansworn to be laid low so easily.

You... you cannot do this. I am the greater swordsman. Your superior... in every way...

Music: Fracture

As Jenlyns complains about our hierarchal inferiority, one of his Sultansworn launch an arrow towards him. Fortunately for Jenlyns, Solkzagyl has been watching the battle and decided to step in to save his life.

Seeing Solkzagyl's arrival, the failed assassin flees the scene.

Think! The information you uncovered—how did you come by it? Did it fall into your lap, as if—oh, I don't know—someone was feeding it to you for their own purposes? You and the paladins under your command are the Monetarists' lapdogs.

Then... you were never a traitor? You were innocent? I... I have wronged you...

As Jenlyns struggles to finish that sentence, he collapses and blacks out. Aggro really did a number on him.

Music: To The Sun

You've become a fine warrior, and learned all there is to know about the way of the paladin. I think perhaps that you are not aware just how much you've grown. Well! 'Tis time you were made aware—paladin!

I don't blame Jenlyns for falling for the schemes of the Monetarist. They seem to be very experienced in manipulating naive fools, and it's not the first time we've seen it happen. That being said, Jenlyns is still captain of the Sultanswarn, and that's a lot of power for someone so easily tricked into committing murder.

Music: A New Hope

We can finish the quest by popping over to Hustings Strip in Ul'dah again, and it seems like Jenlyns is already recovered. As for forgiveness... well, this was filmed during Valentione's Day. It's not quite the Starlight Celebration, but I feel like the Aggro we've seen in this LP so far is fairly forgiving. At least, for someone easily willing to commit mass murder. Eorzea morality is fickle.

He was never a traitor, and the dream that I followed in my youth was not a lie.

With the burden of Solkzagyl's betrayal lifted from his own heart, I feel like we'll be experiencing a different Jenlyns from here.

Though, all that being said, I'm still not convinced to trust Jenlyns in his position of power. There doesn't appear to be anyone else around that can take his place—especially since Aggro appears to have murdered Jenlyns' most trusted men back in the Sagolii Desert. I mean... we did leave these men behind right? Solkzagyl did too. That's hosed up.

Though maybe not as hosed up as five, heavily armed and trained elite guards trapping Aggro and attempting to kill her. It's only fair, I suppose.

And that's us for now. The next quest will be the finale to A Realm Reborn's Paladin quests. We're fair wrapping up our storylines lately, huh?

As usual, we've unlocked a new job action. I'll go into the specifics in the Bonus area, if only to cover my rear end when Paladin is re-jigged again in the next expansion. In the meantime, Aggro is now level 47. We've surpassed the requirement for the next MSQ, so tune in next time when we prepare for our infiltration into Castrum Centri.

The level 45 quest grants us the Paladin ability Cover. This is the second action to use the Oath Gauge, so that actually gives it a bit more purpose. Cover requires us to target a party member, and we'll take all the damage intended for them for 12 whole seconds.

That may not sound too impressive, but there are a lot of neat tricks you can pull with the ability. For a start, you can completely prevent some mechanics that would typically require tanks to swap turns tanking a boss. Some effects are applied on damage (ie. knockback), so it can sometimes prevent those too. Cover is actually pretty cool and worth experimenting with.

It has a short range, and requiring a party member as a target can sometimes make it a bit tricky to use, so some players will use a macro that'll either target the other tank or a mouse over target.

I'm not going to get too deep into the way Cover changed hands between the quests, because that'll get unruly. Instead, I'll focus on the fact that it was first a reward for the level 35 Paladin quest. The original reward for this quest was Spirits Within, which we now get for the first Paladin quest.

Video Summary

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

We can finish the quest by popping over to Hustings Strip in Ul'dah again, and it seems like Jenlyns is already recovered. As for forgiveness... well, this was filmed during Valentione's Day. It's not quite the Starlight Celebration, but I feel like the Aggro we've seen in this LP so far is fairly forgiving.

I can't wait for Aggro to embrace the darkness in Heavensward. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I can't wait for Aggro to embrace the darkness in Heavensward. :v:

That job will be quite fun, and there'll certainly be a lot more going on than in most of the Paladin quests. I feel like this was the first time we were thrust into the plot that's been bubbling in the back for a while, and even then it was a meander. At least there's only one left. I'm looking forward towards getting more to write about.

(Also, IIRC: the job you're talking about, was the 30 - 50 quests not written by Natsuko Ishikawa? Or was that a later series of quests. I can't remember.)