Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

It really depends on what level you are. The main story will unlock some extra things as you go along, but there's also the Gold Saucer at level 15 which helps with breaking up the monotony of being a low level. You can start that quest just outside the aetheryte plaza in Ul'dah. I'd also recommend passing on any of the low level side quests if you're doing them. They don't really offer much variety, and the reward isn't even really worth it. Most of them are really light on story as well, so you can't even really get that from them.

One thing I haven't covered for reasons I'll get to much, much later is the Palace of the Dead. It's a procedurally generated dungeon with different rules that's available from level 15 in the Gridanian adventurer's guild. Most of it is locked behind having the Heavensward expansion (that's when it was introduced), but the first 40 floors are accessible without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm Level 30. I haven't given the Gold Saucer a spin yet, but I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm Level 30. I haven't given the Gold Saucer a spin yet, but I'll be sure to give it a try. Thanks.

If you happen to be on Excalibur, I'd be happy to run some dungeons with you! I'm actually leveling dark knight through the low-mid 30s right now, so instant queues.

mol?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm on Cactuar, I'm afraid. Sorry. :(

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

CrashScreen posted:

I wanted to post just to say that I haven't forgotten about this. A lot's been going on, but I've already got an update that's nearly finished. It should be up sometime over the next couple of days. Sorry about the inactivity!

SB came out relatively recently still, I don't blame you for being a mite bit distracted.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Give pvp a try too, its been reworked and is actually kinda fun, especially playing it as a blm. It's also self contained, so you wont be instantly destroyed by people who are higher leveled or better equipped.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'll be sure to, thanks!

As an aside to CrashScreen, did you ever mention why there were tons of dead players in the Clutch when ARR first came out? I don't remember seeing that.

I bet it was toads, though. gently caress toads. :argh:

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I just gave PvP a try, and it was chaotic to say the least. Gotta fit that on the daily stuff to do though, never know when Garo gear goes poof.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

So, that was most certainly a very long two days. Sorry about that!

Chapter LXIX: Highbridge Times

Music: The Waking Sands

When we last left Aggro, she'd asserted that the sylphs—a beast tribe local to the Black Shroud—were not a threat. With everyone's concerns about Ramuh being summoned now calmed, there's a new concern: Lahabrea, the masked man who identified himself as an Ascian. Since that puts him with a group the Scions have been tracking for a while, this is a very pressing matter for Minfilia.

At present, we know little and less about the Ascians--only that destruction follows in their wake.

This is intelligence that we can ill afford to ignore. Go speak with Flame Commander Swift at the Hall of Flames in Ul'dah to inquire further. How you go about the investigation thereafter, I leave wholly to your discretion.

Music: The Hall of Flames

Swift is pretty visible from the entrance to the Hall of Flames, guarding a door I'm not sure we ever get to see what lies behind.

It looks like we've already got a lead. Lahabrea was last seen somewhere in the entirety of eastern Thanalan. It's a good thing the A Realm Reborn maps are small, huh? We should probably find out more about the witness and question them ourselves.

A Brass Blade stationed at Highbridge described him in detail when he alerted us to suspicious activity. I would point you to the witness, but I'm afraid he died not two days ago, slain by a marauding horde of Qiqirn.

Well, gently caress. That kind of leaves us with just scouring an entire zone of a region.

But do not be too quick to despair. Being situated on a trade route, Highbridge sees its fair share of travelers. Folk are always coming and going, and some among them may well have caught a glimpse of your target. You could do worse than to speak with a merchant named Hihibaru.

Okay. I guess we're going to teleport back to Camp Drybone. I'm pretty sure that eastern Thanalan is the most visited zone in the A Realm Reborn MSQ. We'll be going back some more later, too.

Aggro teleports to Camp Drybone in eastern Thanalan.

Soundtrack ends.

One of my favourite landmarks from the original release is the Burning Wall. It's so pretty at night, and it's also quite mysterious. The game didn't offer much explanation for it for a pretty long time. It just existed. We'll get to take a closer look at it later on, too.

Highbridge exists to connect the now split Royal Allagan Sunway (an ancient road which stretches from western to eastern Thanalan). Since the Calamity, there's been a massive rift that separates eastern Thanalan into two not-quite-halves. This rift actually revealed some old ruins from Ul'dahs past, but that's neither here nor there to us right now.

Highbridge actually has a lot of nostalgic memories for me as well. It was a place where I actually formed a few bonds with other players. The phase 3 beta for the game ended after joining a Grand Company, but the level cap was 35. A lot of people used to just grind out the FATEs here, but that also made me realise how dense the lore was. I'll probably touch on that a little in this LP, since it also ties into the MSQ a little. One of ARR's strengths was just how realised the world was.

Music: To The Sun

Hihibaru is most definitely a merchant.

Ohhh, you're after a masked man! Why didn't you say so sooner? Such an individual might have featured in one of the many rumors I've heard. If you linger awhile, mayhap you'll learn a thing or two, eh?

Rather than linger, let's just start the next quest right away.

Whining won't do me any good, though. No, for my business to survive, I need business. Speaking of which, perhaps you'd like to browse my wares! Spend a bit of coin to help a struggling merchant!

Aggro's not interested. Instead, she presses our new contact on the masked man that he knows little about.

... The masked man? Bah, Thal take your bloody masked man! I know what I said before, but vague rumours are all I've got. If you want to more about him, go and ask the other merchants!

That sounds like a good idea to be honest.

Sadly, they're not really helpful either. Doing this, I notice there are more merchants than anyone else, and that's likely got something to do with the Qiqirn camp nearby. Across from the Impassive Merchant is an empty seat that's usually occupied by a similar looking Roegadyn. There's a reason for this and it's not because of our current quest. We'll get to that soon. As for the reason the merchants stay: this is the only available, relatively safe trade route to Gridania beyond airship travel.

Out of the three NPCs we need to speak to, the Multiloquent Merchant is the only one with even remotely useful information. It just expands on our search area to the entirety of Thanalan. Yeah, this isn't good. Let's go back to Hihibaru and see if he's heard anything during the five minutes it took to interrogate the Highbridge populace. Aggro is nothing if not persistent.

I tend to put my own welfare first, like most of us do, but that doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I promise to keep an eye out for your masked man. If I see or hear anything, you'll be the first to know.

Well, at least our efforts have won Hihibaru over a little. That quest ends and a new one becomes available.

What's weird is that normally, the passage of time is implied by an increment in the quest level requirement. There's clearly meant to be some time between this quest and the last, but both are level 24 quests. It's available right away.

You'll recall my telling you how the Qiqirn have been raiding Highbridge nigh without cease. Well, there is a rumor that those filthy rats have been meeting with a great hulk of a man in secret. While I can't say whether this is the mystery fellow you seek, I reckon it's as good a lead as any other.

Well, this is some positive news for our investigation. Hihibaru suggests that Aggro should investigate the nearby Qiqirn camp for clues. Considering Lahabrea is into kidnapping; this should hopefully net us some good results.

The Qiqirn Camp is found towards the south-eastern portion of the Wellwick Woods. There's a Brass Blade hanging around the entrance. Talking to them initiates a noteworthy FATE. There's a four-part FATE surrounding Highbridge. Qiqirn will invade, attempting to murder the guards, destroy supplies, and kidnap the local residents for no clear reason. Highbridge was so devoid of NPCs because those FATEs failed. We can assume for narrative reasons that the Brass Blade witness that Swift mentioned died during one of those raids as well.

I know I said it's a four-part FATE, but there's actually five events. Should players fail to protect Highbridge, this current FATE will be made available. The aim is to rescue the locals. Alternatively, successful players will be able to participate in a similar event in which the fight is taken to the Qiqirn. This is an endless cycle, but it's nice that local events tie into the narrative. Anyone who's participated in either alternative FATEs are also given enough clues to figure out what's going on without the MSQ. It's good.

Music: Hard to Miss

Anyway, since we're here, let's do the FATE too.

The kidnapped locals can be found throughout the camp. They're named and all have pop-up dialogue. Even successful attempts at the previous FATEs in the chain might land some NPCs in here. We can't actually rescue them, since the aim is to first empty out the camp and secure safe passage.

I don't think we actually need that undecipherable letter to figure out what's going on here. At the edge of the camp is an Amalj'aa named Nayokk Roh—the boss for this FATE. It's safe to assume that he's the "great hulk of a man" Hihibaru mentioned, and the motivation is most likely that this is another Amalj'aa operation to gain Ifrit more followers. That doesn't mean that this is a dead end.

When we met Ifrit, he mentioned a conversation with the "Paragons". Thancred had previously noted that Paragons was another name for the Ascians. The "masked man" Lahabrea was definitely seen around Highbridge too. That undecipherable letter may very well still be a clue.

Aggro grabs the letter and turns her blade towards Nayokk Roh.

While it's unnecessary to fight him, gently caress it why not? Let's help the locals out. Nayokk Roh basically performs like any other Amalj'aa, except with bloated HP I forgot to note. He can add additional auto-attack damage with Enfire, and has a frontal AoE called Devastate for higher damage. He might be a bit much for Aggro to defeat on her own, but the fortunate nature of FATEs being about strangers questing together means that she doesn't have to fight alone for long.

It's a level 26 FATE, so the exp is pretty good too.

Clearing that FATE really did rescue the Highbridge locals. Just look over at Tiny Aurochs, the missing roegadyn I mentioned earlier. Sadly, it looks like a very important NPC was badly injured and still hasn't returned. His two personal guards are still there. I'll need to introduce him some other time and that's genuinely a bit of a shame.

Let's return to the other side of Highbridge and show Hihibaru the letter we can't read.

Music: To The Sun

Gods be good... If I'm reading this right, the Qiqirn are trying to strike a deal with the Amalj'aa. They mean to catch hapless souls at Highbridge and sell them off like sacks of popotoes! To think that different tribes of beastmen are colluding in their villainy... I must warn everyone to maintain vigilance.

Hihibaru stops himself before he begins the impeachment process.

You have my thanks, adventurer. Had you not braved the Qiqirn lair, no one here would have known what the creatures were plotting until they actually began picking us off, one by one. On the other hand... I suppose this means you're no closer to finding your man. Well, unless it's an Amalj'aa you're looking for. But, uh...
probably not, huh?

Well, so much for the letter being an important clue. This is where the story takes a moment to pause, with the next quest requiring Aggro to be level 25. Fortunately for us, Aggro is level 27. Let's just go ahead and continue, yeah?

As if in answer, some Qiqirn appeared soon after, and the group began talking at length. I'm afraid I was too far out of earshot to hear much of anything.

Hihibaru hypothesizes that Aggro could use a smoldering coal at the same spot to gather some information. This actually does sound a little promising, but let's take that with a grain of salt this time. Last time, our masked man was mistaken for a giant Amalj'aa.

Hihibaru hands over a Smoldering Coal.

Our destination is pretty close to the zone-line separating eastern Thanalan from south Shroud, over in Wellwick Woods.

Aggro uses the Smoldering Coal.

The Smoldering Coal summons in a Corpse Brigade Footsoldiers, ready to fight with the not-Ascian calling them.

Unfortunately for them, Aggro is a somewhat noteworthy god-killer these days. At least now this footsoldier can truly say that they're part of the Corpse Brigade, well, if corpses could speak.

Being a traditional adventurer, Aggro pilfers a Ward of the Destroyer from the remains. Let's return it to Hihibaru, who may be able to tell us what this potential clue means.

This potential clue means something significant, going by Hihibaru's response.

In case you're unfamiliar, Rhalgr is the guardian deity of Ala Mhigo, which is currently under Garlean rule. It's highly uncommon for folk of other nations to revere Him. I'd wager my last gil that your assailant was Ala Mhigan.

I see. So Ala Mhigo is connected to Lahabrea. I suppose this means we'll need to make a trip east of the Black Shroud, sneaking over Baelsar's Wall, and investigate there. Sadly, that's two expansions away, so there must be a more local solution.

It seems this masked man of yours is very well connected. I must confess, the merchant in me envies such a diverse network of contacts. That selfsame merchant also senses danger ahead...and darkness besides. Are you certain you'd rather not take things nice and slow here at Highbridge?

Before we progress with this investigation further, Aggro is rewarded with some Heavy Iron Armour. Unlike her usual equipment, it does not allow helmets. It makes up for this with four materia slots over the two, but we won't be using those. Additionally, it offers much higher stats than traditionally possible in one piece of gear at level 25.

It looks pretty ridiculous. The Heavy Iron set, and any other similar sets, is also rather comical in dramatic scenes that zoom into the protagonist's face. Also, who picks the colours of these things?

So, it stands to reason that if you want to pick up the trail again, you should head toward Little Ala Mhigo, over in southern Thanalan. Just so you know what to expect, the settlement is the favored destination for those refugees who couldn't...well, adapt to life in Ul'dah. The hearts of the denizens are said to be as barren as the wasteland they live in. And for all intents and purposes, it's a lawless place. Be prepared for a not-so-warm welcome.

Considering how the Ala Mhigans are treated in Ul'dah (I mean, just look at the refugee camps around it), it's no wonder that they're a cold people. Fortunately, Hihibaru has some advice for us.

Now, I'm not certain how much a help she will be, but it just so happens I have a daughter who has, er... relocated to Little Ala Mhigo. Her name is Hihira, and it shouldn't hurt to seek her out first. And while you have her attention... I'd be obliged if you could send my love. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her.

Before we journey to Little Ala Mhigo, Hihibaru has some parting words.

I suppose this is it, then! I had hoped that you would linger here a while—cull some fiends, spend some coin, what have you—but something tells me you're destined for greater things. Wherever it is you end up, I wish you the best!

I like Hihibaru. All things considered, he was a pretty decent contact in Highbridge. It's a shame you can't actually buy anything from him. Come on Square-Enix, cut him some slack. Should we get a hashtag going for Hihibaru?

Southern Thanalan is—of course—located in the south. The zone-line is pretty close to the gates to Halatali.

Interestingly, this part of southern Thanalan was actually once within the boundary of eastern Thanalan in 1.0. Post-Calamity map-makers appear to have decided that it should now belong in the south. In any case, the entrance to Little Ala Mhigo is actually already visible from here.

Adorning the barricades outside the hollowed-out caverns of Little Ala Mhigo are the banners with Ala Mhigo's insignia. It seems it's not completely lawless—some Brass Blades are hanging around just outside as guards.

Music: The Gift of Life

In the center lies a small oasis and an aetheryte.

Of course, we've got to attune to the aetheryte. Setting it as our home point is also a good idea, as we'll be here for a little while.

Hihira is located in the western cavern, near some tents.

We won't actually find out much of her story in the MSQ, since Hihira is more of a sidequest character. If anyone's interested, I could cover her chain in a bonus or just save it for another time when we're leveling another class.

A masked man? I'm afraid the description doesn't ring any bells, but one of the others here may have seen something. I would recommend you first speak with Gundobald, the leader of the settlement. I must warn you, though, he isn't exactly...accommodating to outsiders.

Gundobald is just a couple of tents over.

Aggro explains the situation.

We struggle enough without having to answer the whim of every outsider. You are not welcome here. Begone.

Well. That was short-lived. Next time, we'll begin working on the Little Ala Mhigan's approval towards us.

Hihibaru has some additional dialogue while this quest is active.

Chapter 49 Summary

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As an aside to CrashScreen, did you ever mention why there were tons of dead players in the Clutch when ARR first came out? I don't remember seeing that.

I can't remember if I did but I think it was because players hadn't figured out that they should only go for the enemies that were already targeting them. It was definitely because of the duty, but it honestly isn't that difficult otherwise.

GuyUpNorth posted:

I just gave PvP a try, and it was chaotic to say the least. Gotta fit that on the daily stuff to do though, never know when Garo gear goes poof.

I managed to finally get the Garo gear. PvP is something I use to take a break from raiding and stuff now. I hadn't actually tried the Feast until Stormblood, and that's kind of fun as well. I figure I might as well see what rank I can get for kicks, since my younger brother managed to get gold. There's a narrative reason that made me want to hold out on showing off PvP but gently caress it, I might as well do an update on that when I hit level 30.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
Oh boy, Little Ala Mhigo. Ala Mhigan NPCs being horrid shitheads is a recurring theme in this game.

I actually have a few secondary classes in the 15-45 level range, so I wouldn't mind showing some of those sidequest chains or other class abilities if you're otherwise occupied with the main story. Of course, if you want to keep it all in character instead of randomly having Aggro replaced by a tiny dragon girl, that's more than understandable.

Also, with the purple Heavy Iron Gear: the most spiteful thing that FF XIV did was locking the glamour system until you hit level 50. And dyeing until 25 or so IIRC. There are about a trillion neat outfits you can put together in this game (I've been using this AST glamour set since level 61), and you're doomed to looking like you rolled around in the bins at the Goodwill Outlet to get dressed.

I don't think this counts as a spoiler, since it's just a couple of tents in the background, but just in case!

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 24, 2017

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Oh boy, Little Ala Mhigo. Ala Mhigan NPCs being horrid shitheads is a recurring theme in this game.

I actually have a few secondary classes in the 15-45 level range, so I wouldn't mind showing some of those sidequest chains or other class abilities if you're otherwise occupied with the main story. Of course, if you want to keep it all in character instead of randomly having Aggro replaced by a tiny dragon girl, that's more than understandable.

Also, with the purple Heavy Iron Gear: the most spiteful thing that FF XIV did was locking the glamour system until you hit level 50. And dyeing until 25 or so IIRC. There are about a trillion neat outfits you can put together in this game (I've been using this AST glamour set since level 61), and you're doomed to looking like you rolled around in the bins at the Goodwill Outlet to get dressed.

I don't think this counts as a spoiler, since it's just a couple of tents in the background, but just in case!

To be fair to the Glamor system, it makes sense why it isn't unlocked until level cap (back then).

Liberty or death!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I'm dealing with that problem by crafting all of my own equipment, and wearing matching sets, whenever possible. Unfortunately, that tends to slow down the rate at which I complete MSQ; I've only recently passed the halfway point of the 4.0 story.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

Solitair posted:

I'm dealing with that problem by crafting all of my own equipment, and wearing matching sets, whenever possible. Unfortunately, that tends to slow down the rate at which I complete MSQ; I've only recently passed the halfway point of the 4.0 story.

Well, if you're in Stormblood you very much have the glamour system open, unless you never did the quest? A Self-Improving Man in Mor Dhona unlocks it. Of course, if you don't want to waste 20,000 or so on glamour prisms for armor you're going to be using for two levels, that's understandable and smart.

I glamour all of my leveling gear. :unsmigghh:

floofy outfits have clipping issues sometimes though

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I tend to save glamours for when I hit cap, but my glamour game isn't particularly great anyway. I tend to just go for the adventurer look.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You'd be more than welcome to cover the sidequests. I'd actually really appreciate it.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Man, that NPC missing in Highbridge sure is...spectacular, too. Later, hopefully.

The Little Ala Mhigo section has some good world-building.

CrashScreen posted:

You'd be more than welcome to cover the sidequests. I'd actually really appreciate it.

Just to clarify, does that extend to other class/job quests as well, and/or will Aggro be covering all of them?

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, that extends to other classes and jobs as well. The only other one my heart is set on is Marauder. I'm looking to swap between that and Gladiator whenever we're at a level cap.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!

CrashScreen posted:

The difference between you and me is that I can make even Little Ala Mhigo look good.

I actually had a picture with better lighting, but my character decided to blink RIGHT when I took it.

But yeah, I can take out some of those sidequest chains in a bit. I'll need to get a couple of levels on my Gladiator to actually do the sidequests (unless I just run them as a high-level class and oneshot everything) so it might be a couple of days.

Actually, you're playing on Midgardsormr correct? I'm usually on Excal, but I have a character on Midgardsormr as well if you want to do dungeons or group stuff sometime. Just yell at me in the thread or whatever so I can log on there.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 25, 2017

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I used to be on Midgardsormr. I live in Europe so the free transfer plus bonuses for Omega were too attractive not to go.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

CrashScreen posted:

Yeah, that extends to other classes and jobs as well. The only other one my heart is set on is Marauder.

Good to know.

CNJ/WHM would be good to have for white magic and Padjal lore. Some of the DPS, like DRG, would be interesting in relation to future content as well... Hope to contribute if I get time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CrashScreen posted:

I can't remember if I did but I think it was because players hadn't figured out that they should only go for the enemies that were already targeting them. It was definitely because of the duty, but it honestly isn't that difficult otherwise.

The early duties aren't too bad, yeah. I lost the one where you fight alongside Fufulupa since I didn't kill the adds at first. I also had quite a good deal of lag early on, so avoiding AoE attacks wasn't something I could do until I got that fixed. It was a learning experience, though!

Also, I just got to Heavensward. :dance:

I was leveling up some new classes today, so this isn't my main class outfit. But here's me on the right waiting for a queue with another random player.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Aug 25, 2017

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Well, if you're in Stormblood you very much have the glamour system open, unless you never did the quest? A Self-Improving Man in Mor Dhona unlocks it. Of course, if you don't want to waste 20,000 or so on glamour prisms for armor you're going to be using for two levels, that's understandable and smart.

I glamour all of my leveling gear. :unsmigghh:

floofy outfits have clipping issues sometimes though

Prisms are a reason why I don't use the glamour system often. Another is that I think most of the sets in this game look pretty good and I wanted to give them some time on my character model. The main exception is the fugly Ironworks Fending set, which I glamored over with Valor gear during 2.x and the first parts of Heavensward.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I greatly enjoyed some of the side quests in Stormblood, because finishing some chains, has all the chains kind of mesh together and gives you even more stuff. Makes me feel good and pleased with what I did.

Also evidently, Stormblood has some NPC dialogue which is - to my knowledge - the only time in the game your race is ever referenced.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

krisslanza posted:

I greatly enjoyed some of the side quests in Stormblood, because finishing some chains, has all the chains kind of mesh together and gives you even more stuff. Makes me feel good and pleased with what I did.

Also evidently, Stormblood has some NPC dialogue which is - to my knowledge - the only time in the game your race is ever referenced.

Potatoes get an incredible variant of a particular gag in a section of Hildibrand

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Oh, Little Ala Mhigo NPCs. If only they knew.

I'm boring, so my glamour game usually just consists of a different set that I think looks nice. Anything to avoid a hodgepodge of different sets making me look a mess like poor Aggro.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Potatoes get an incredible variant of a particular gag in a section of Hildibrand

I was not aware of this. I figured I learned about the only time your race is ever brought into dialogue!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SonicRulez posted:

Oh, Little Ala Mhigo NPCs. If only they knew.

I'm boring, so my glamour game usually just consists of a different set that I think looks nice. Anything to avoid a hodgepodge of different sets making me look a mess like poor Aggro.

Same. I've never had an eye for different sets working well together so I almost always stick to a single one at a time.

krisslanza posted:

I was not aware of this. I figured I learned about the only time your race is ever brought into dialogue!

I can think of at least one Job quest where it's relevant during the Heavensward expansion too, if you're an Au Ra.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

krisslanza posted:

I've had a jarring instance of a Wildwood Elezen complaining about how I could never understand the culture of his great race or something like that.

My character is a Wildwood Elezen.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
Was it the dickbag in the Archery Guild?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It was indeed.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
Hey, I will get some stuff written in the next day or two. Had to bang out a few levels on GLA to be able to do the local sidequests.

In the meantime, have a cool Au Ra striking a cool pose. yes i spent seven bucks to change two details on my character shut up

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've had a jarring instance of a Wildwood Elezen complaining about how I could never understand the culture of his great race or something like that.

My character is a Wildwood Elezen.

Well yeah but you weren't ~raised in Gridania~ or whatever. Gridania seriously is just the grassier version of San d'Oria, when you come down to it.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

So, a combination of a lack of hard drive space and the fact that I really liked it means the next update will be the latest seasonal event instead. It's pretty neat, so I hope everyone else enjoys it too.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

Well yeah but you weren't ~raised in Gridania~ or whatever. Gridania seriously is just the grassier version of San d'Oria, when you come down to it.

I like how on the surface Gridania seems to be this peaceful forest nation. Then you look deeper and realize it's an incredible Ethnocentric Forest Region That Will Eat You For Transgressions Against The Elementals You Didn't Know You Did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, each of the city states looks nice on the surface, but has some kind of underlying issue. I rather like that.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ahaha you sweet summer children complaining about glamour. I played through TBC, I am USED to looking like a Rainbow Pimp Clown.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Siegkrow posted:

Ahaha you sweet summer children complaining about glamour. I played through TBC, I am USED to looking like a Rainbow Pimp Clown.

:same:
Then in WOTLK I used to look like a bag made out of different patches of leather.
Then I stopped playing midway through the next expansion and missed out on transmog.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Sgt Thud posted:

I like how on the surface Gridania seems to be this peaceful forest nation. Then you look deeper and realize it's an incredible Ethnocentric Forest Region That Will Eat You For Transgressions Against The Elementals You Didn't Know You Did.

Still a bunch of tree-hugging hippies as far as I'm concerned. :v:
Even if the trees are full of horrible things. The spirits need to be less picky.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Cooked Auto posted:

:same:
Then in WOTLK I used to look like a bag made out of different patches of leather.
Then I stopped playing midway through the next expansion and missed out on transmog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Impressive.