Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Papashan is the retired Sultansworn who directs you to find the perfectly normal commoner girl who is certainly not the Sultana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gaius is a great character and antagonist. He's a ruthless conqueror and not a very nice guy, but he's pragmatic about it. He wants to subjugate Eorzea and bring it into the Empire, not destroy it like Nael did. He has a sense of honor and decency even for his enemies. He's the General Leo to Nael's Kefka.

He's pretty obviously modeled after Grahf, one of the main antagonists of Xenogears:

Also, Nero is Sting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

An in-game day is 72 minutes long, and there's 384 days in an in-game year. So on the third anniversary of ARR, a little under 56 years will have passed in-game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hi everyone, I'm going to be showing off the city-state of Limsa Lominsa as well as the Arcanist class.

Chapter I: Now I'm Here

I'm greeted by this dreadfully generic Hyur. This won't do at all!

Now there's a much more handsome mug. Who wants a mustache ride?

He was born on the 5th day of the 9th month, for reasons that will be obvious shortly.

His birthsign is Oschon, the Wanderer. I think that's a close approximation to the Roman god Mercury. Nald'Thal would also work as the gods of commerce, but they're also the gods of the underworld.

And of course he's an arcanist. Arcanists are huge nerds with big books. As an arcanist, he'll be starting within the Thalassocracy of Limsa Lominsa. Thalassocracy is a fancy Greek word for a primarily maritime nation.

He's on Midgardsormr, in the hopes of getting some hot dungeon action with Crash/Aggro.

I can't possibly think of a better name.

He seems to like it!

You've all seen this already. Big empty void, disembodied voice saying verbs at you, black hooded dude out of nowhere, etc.

Freddie shows the bad guy why they call him Mr. Fahrenheit. Unfortunately, he won't look this cool for a VERY long time.

And he wakes up on a boat. This is new for you viewers at home, as each city-state has its own intro. Also note that Freddie has some nice earrings and a necklace, which Crash didn't have back when the LP started. That's because they recently changed the new player starting equipment to include some jewelry for each slot with +1 to each primary stat. It's actually a pretty significant boost!

You might think this is the same dude as in Crash's intro, but you may recall that he wore black instead of red. Totally different guy, I swear!

Grizzled Passenger: Hmmm... Don't seem like seasickness, now that I look at you. It'll be the aether, then, I reckon. Some are more sensitive to the stuff than others, see, an' we ain't too far from Vylbrand now, which is chock-full of aetherytes. No need to fret, though. You'll soon get used to it. Eurgh. Might as well have been bloomin' seasickness... Ship's leapin' around like a demented chocobo today.

He stumbles and catches his balance as the ship rocks.

Grizzled Passenger: I reckon I might head out on the deck--get meself a breath of fresh air. Limsa Lominsa's still a fair way off, in case you were wonderin'. Seein' as you're awake an' all, how's about you keep me company till we get there?

These are the same silent twins from Crash's intro, however.

See? The guy in Crash's intro was named Brendt. Not the same person at all!

Up on deck, Brennan stretches.

Brennan: Ah, smell that salty sea breeze! Now then, lad, judgin' by your unusual garments, I'd say you were one of them new adventurers. Am I warm?

Freddie gives a stoic, silent nod. The first of many to come.

Brennan: I knew it! Goin' wherever the wind blows, seekin' fortune an' glory--now that's what I call livin'! So long as you can avoid dyin', I mean. Ain't no secret that adventurin's a risky business--these days especially. What was it that first attracted you to it?

This choice is even more meaningless now that you start with a good ring (and can buy a second one for cheap). I pick glory, because Freddie's gonna be a star.

Brennan: Glory, eh? Well, if you're willin' to take on them tasks as other folk ain't, an adventurer such as yourself can win fame what coin can't buy. When you arrive in town, you'll want to report to the Adventurer's Guild. You can find out everythin' you need to know abou tthe adventurin' business in there. Just remember, though: there's more important things than fortune an' glory. Such as breathin'. Ain't no profit in bein' dead, an' that's a fact.

The ship's bell rings, and suddenly an explosion off the starboard bow rocks the ship and knocks Brennan on his rear end.

And so we do. Later...

Yeah they shot their balls right at us, I would assume they have literal boatloads.

Well that was quick I guess. Later, again...

Brennan: By the by, is this your first trip to Limsa Lominsa?

This choice is totally inconsequential. The "canon" backstory of the main character is that you're a stranger to the continent of Eorzea, so I think it's safe to assume that Freddie has never been there.

Brennan: It is!? Well then, let this journeyed itinerant tell you the ins an' outs of your destination. Ahem! Limsa Lominsa prides itself on bein' Eorzea's foremost naval power.

Brennan: 'Course, most folk ain't so quick to change, an' with a town full of liberty-lovin' ruffians, you can imagine how man naysayers an' troublemakers she's got to deal with--like them pirates who took a fancy to us just now. An' if that weren't bad enough, I've heard the Sahagin are raidin' the coast just as bold as you please. Them're the sea-dwellin' beastmen the locals call "fishbacks," 'case you didn't know.

Brennan: Behold Limsa Lominsa, a nation blessed by the ocean's bounty an' beloved of Lymlaen, goddess of navigation.

Each city-state in Eorzea has a patron deity among The Twelve, and Limsa's is Lymlaen, the Navigator. Ul'dah is protected by Nald'Thal, the Traders, and Gridania by Nophica, the Matron. There are three other city-states with their own patron deities, but they're not starting locations (yet).

Narrator: On a windswept isle in the southwestern corner of the realm,

Brennan: I'm off to the markets to deliver me wares, then it's on to the highroad for me.

He hands Freddie a Ring of Fidelity (+1 vitality). Completely useless compared to the new starter rings, which give +1 to all primary stats. I guess it's the thought that counts.

Brennan: Become the sort of storied personage I can brag about havin' met, an' I'll consider us square.

He wants to be able to say he knew Freddie Quicksilver before he was famous. That's cool I guess.

Next time: I actually play the game.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This boss is pretty poorly designed. The intended way of doing it where everyone handles the bubbles to stop adds from spawning actually makes the fight harder. You lose so much dps time that it prolongs the fight and makes more bubbles spawn, causing a snowball effect.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's what it's supposed to teach you, yes. But what it really teaches you is to ignore the mechanics, ignore the adds, and just burn down the boss ASAP. That's why it's poorly designed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Now you're making me want to test this out with minimum ilevel sync.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter 2: Play the Game

Now that the introduction is out of the way, it's time to actually start playing (kind of). Like Ul'dah, you'll start off with a whole bunch of menial sidequests designed to show you around the city. I'll be your tour guide as you experience the sights, sounds, and smells of Limsa Lominsa!

Ryssfloh: Allow one of Limsa Lominsa's finest to set you on the right path. Hop to it lad, I haven't got all day!

Freddie starts off his journey being harassed by a member of the local security, the Yellowjackets. Time for baby's first quest.

Ryssfloh: Now then, I'm sure you're itching to explore, but adventurers are required to register their presence in the city... and without a bit of local knowledge, you're like to get your throat slit in some piss-stinking alley. So before you do anything else, get yourself over to the Drowning Wench and enroll in the Adventurers' Guild.

Ryssfloh: Once you're there, look for a fellow by the name of Baderon--he's the proprietor of the Wench. He might curse like an ale-sodden sailor, but the man's got a soft spot for wide-eyed newcomers like yourself. He'll set your straight. Got all that? Good. Now run along, and may the Navigator guide you on your journey.

Freddie takes the lift up to pub, and finds this charming fellow.

Baderon's speech is almost identical to Momodi's in Ul'dah, except with the pirate dial cranked up to 11 and less desire to talk about dicks. I'll spare you the repetitive details.

At the end of it, these assholes show up.

Yellowjacket: The captain reported being attacked by a pirate vessel. And several witnesses have testified independently that a passenger matching your description went out on deck mere moments before the incident took place. Sending your friends signals, were you?

Baderon: Now 'old on a just a moment there, officer. Ye've got the wrong bloke. This fine, upstandin' young gent is me dear departed grandma sister's niece's cousin's closest companion. The lad wouldn't be caught dead fraternizin' with such unsavory elements.

Yellowjacket: ...Is that right? Ahem. You are surely aware of the recent kidnappings? Respectfully, then, we cannot be too trusting of outsiders at a time when the loyalty of even our closest friends is in doubt.[/i]

Baderon: Aye, ye make a good point there, officer, a very good point. Very wise. Ye needn't worry, though--I keep one eye open at all times, me, an' two more often than not. Now, sir, what say ye to a tankard o' me finest ale afore ye return to yer duties, eh?

Yellowjacket: Not a watered-down cup of piss like last time, I should hope?

Baderon: Ain't got the faintest idea what yer on about, officer. The Wench might offer some o' the cheapest grog this side o' the Strait of Merlthor, but that don't mean it won't get ye good an' pickled! An' look, there's a chair over there just cryin' out to be sat on, so kick off the 'eavy boots, eh!?

The Yellowjackets depart to go on their rounds and/or get blasted.

Baderon: Ye'll 'ave to excuse these eager bloody Yellowjackets. There's been a spate o' kidnappin's, see, an' they ain't got a clue who's behind 'em. Naturally, they've taken to clappin' irons on anyone who looks vaguely suspicious, which means 'venturers, visitors... an' pretty much every bugger else in this town. Don't take it personal, though. Us Lominsans can be an 'eadstrong bunch o' bastards, 'tis true, but given time, we'll grow on ye. Now, where was I...?

Some of your patrons literally have green faces all the time. That is RACIST, Baderon.

Again, this quest is nearly identical to U'ldah's. Touch the aetheryte, go to the market, visit your class trainer.

There's the aetheryte. Remember how it was bright and sunny just a few minutes ago? When you start a new character, you actually load into a special solo instance where time is frozen. When you leave, you sync up with Eorzean time, so it can be a little jarring sometimes. Although, an entire day/night cycle is only 72 minutes in real time, so you get used to it.

Here's the market, known here as Hawker's Alley. Not pictured: a dozen bots sending me tells offering cheap gil, handwork guaranteed.

At the end of the Alley is this ferry service, which will take you to a town in West Thanalan for cheap. This town has no aetheryte, and you'll be visiting it a lot throughout the main scenario, so this ferry can be incredibly useful. Unfortunately, it's closed now, and it won't be open until I progress further in the Lominsa storyline.

And this is Mealvaan's Gate, the port authority of Limsa Lominsa, and home to the Arcanists' Guild. What do arcanists have to do with import tariffs?

Murie: Arcanima is the science of employing "arcane geometries"--intricate patterns that map the unlocked mysteries of existence--to draw forth and manipulate the body's aetheric energies.

Ah, but if I am not mistaken, you already possess some rudimentary understanding of the craft. Shall I deepen your knowledge of our history, as well?

The roots of arcanima can be traced back to the esoteric calculations practiced by the people of the south sea isles. It was these island folk that first discovered a method to express natural phenomena in mathematical terms.

Building on this process, the existing mathematical formulae were further developed into arcane geometries--precise patterns that allowed a practitioner to weave aether into specific magical effects. The mages who invoked this new form of magic became known as "arcanist," and the school of arcanima was born.

Many such mages, wishing to expand their understanding of the world, took to the seas aboard trading vessels. Upon their arrival in Limsa Lominsa, arcanists found themselves welcomed into the academic elite, and soon secured positions in the realms of governance and counsel.

The knowledge of an arcanist, however, is traditionally passed on from master to chosen disciple. As such, Admiral Merlwyb, counting several wielders of arcanima among her personal staff, became concerned that this exclusionary practice would lead to the eventual extinction of the art.

So, at the Admiral's express orders, an official Arcanists' Guild was established, and funding was provided for research and training.

The complex and demanding nature of arcanima, however, remains the greatest threat to its future. If you would continue your study of this challenging discipline, then I must insist that you indicate your commitment to joining our guild.

Well? Have you decided to enroll in our guild? Or are you now intimidated by the thought of excessive thinking?

tl;dr: Arcanima is basically combat math, and arcanists use their knowledge for keeping accurate trade and immigration records, as well as for dealing with smugglers and traffickers and other unsavory sorts.

Murie: Due to extraordinary circumstances, he is... unreachable at present. Instead, you may speak with Mistress Thubyrgeim. She has shouldered full responsibility for the guild's leadership in the interim.

You will find her just over there, by the bookshelves. You needn't be shy--though her mind is sharp and critical, her manner is always most welcoming.

Thubyrgeim: Allow me, then, to expound upon its nature. Arcanima taps into the living energies of aether. The evidence of this is represented most aptly, perhaps, by our ability to manifest the arcane entity Carbuncle, and the manner of magic which this aetherial ally employs at our command.

The core of the discipline, however, is found in the pursuit of definitive solutions to any potential quandary. Even on the field of battle--nay,
especially on the field of battle--this principle takes precedence.

If one wishes to make certain the question of victory, then one must apply the most effective strategy. An arcanist is measured by his ability to calmly analyze a situation from moment to moment, and respond with the most appropriate spells at hand.

The study of arcanima will test your mental faculties to the point of perplexity. Are you prepared to reason your way through predicament after predicament?

Hell yeah let's do some learnin'.

Thubyrgeim: An unambiguous response--the kind I most prefer. Let us now see if the clarity of your words is matched by the sharpness of your mind.

In lower La Noscea, you will find, among others, three species of pest: wharf rats, little ladybugs, and aureliae. I ask that you employ your skill in arcanima to eradicate three of each type of creature.

Leave the city through the Tempest Gate, and you will soon encounter the potential targets in abundance. As long as you remain focused, I do not foresee these opponents causing you or your budding abilities undue difficulty.

Just like in Ul'dah, Freddie gets a starter quest to take out some low-level trash. Gotta start somewhere, I guess.

Before leaving, Freddie does a little more exploring.

This is the Bismarck, one of the most renowned restaurants in Eorzea, and home to the Culinarians' Guild. H'lahono here wants me to go fetch some fresh mutton for the kitchen. Obviously, this will involve slaughtering cute and mostly defenseless sheep.

This is the Seventh Sage, a spicery and apothecary. Uh, I guess they have other services as well.

Here's Coral Tower, the headquarters of the Yellowjackets and the Marauders' Guild, as indicated by the paired axes. The twin pistols led many people to believe that this would be the location of a Musketeers' Guild at some point in the future, but sadly, that never manifested.

In Bulwark hall is a pair of pink-haired miqo'te who serve as visitor guides. They give me a quest to refill some guttering street lamps. Guttering is a weird word.

Along the way there's some rowdy seamen starting a brawl...

...and others propositioning some catladies of the night. It's a port town, what do you expect?

This is the not-so-secret entrance to the Rogues' Guild. Unlike other classes, you can't start as a Rogue. You need to do this breadcrumb quest to unlock it.

This is the Fishers' Guild. As it turns out, the quest to refill those lamps was the questgiver's job. But isn't that what adventuring is all about? Doing things that other people are too lazy to do themselves?

Up here is a bar, aptly named the Missing Member, the hangout for a pirate gang known as the Sanguine Sirens.

The Sirens are all women, in case that wasn't obvious.

Uh, moving right along...

Finally, here's Naldiq and Vymelli's, the forge of Limsa Lominsa and home to both the Blacksmiths' and Armorers' Guilds.

Perfect timing - the sun is rising through the morning mist just as Freddie steps out into the majestic landscape of La Noscea. What adventures await our hero?

Spoilers: it's killing ladybugs.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 28, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SkyTalon2314 posted:

For what it's worth, of the 9 Classes, I think Limsa gets the best ones of them all, story-wise. The ACN, MRD, and ROG are all amazing in their own ways, and are probably some of the best side stories in the game. Rogue in particular had me rushing to get the next 5 levels to unlock the next leg because I was enjoying the story so much!

Incorrect. Pugilist quest is objectively the best.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter III: I'm in Love with my Carbuncle

It's time to get this show on the road. I've got a lot of cute, innocent critters to murder.

But first, here's a quick overview of my abilities so far.

Level 1 arcanists start with this spell. 80 potency means that it's slightly stronger than a loud fart. To put it in comparison, the level 1 gladiator weaponskill is 150 potency. That's not entirely fair, because casting classes have a much larger damage to potency ratio than fending classes (like gladiators), but it's still the weakest single target attack in the entire game in terms of total potency. It's meant to be a "filler" spell that you only cast when you have nothing better to do.

Fortunately, if you do only a few sidequests in your starting city, you can easily reach level 2 without even thinking about combat. This gets you a much more powerful spell. Bio is a damage over time, or DOT spell. The potency value is how much damage it does on each "tic", and DOTs tic every 3 seconds, so Bio will deal 240 potency over its entire duration. After 6 seconds it will have done the same damage as a single cast of Ruin, so it's almost always worth the global cooldown (GCD) at this point.

As a sidenote, both of these abilities deal "unaspected" damage. This essentially means non-elemental, but this distinction is functionally meaningless in this game. Enemies don't have elemental resistances or weakness at all. A thaumaturge could cast a fire spell on a fire sprite and do just as much damage as if he had cast it on an ice sprite. Resistances and weaknesses are fun and cool in single player games, but they have a tendency to be terrible in the MMO genre. Just ask all the fire mages that raided in World of Warcraft back when it first came out.

Anyway, time to get killing.

Freddie does a sweet anime pose while he's casting Ruin. The rats and ladybugs, being only level 1, go down without issue. The aureliae are slightly tougher.

These big stupid jellyfish can cast a line area of attack which can apply paralysis if it connects. Paralysis is a particularly nasty status effect for casters, because it can interrupt any and all of your spells. Fortunately, this one can be avoided with ease.

This big ugly fellow is a goobbue. At level 12, he'd make quick work of me, but fortunately he's non-aggressive and will only attack in self-defense.

Of course, as I took the screenshot, I accidentally right clicked on him and slapped him with my book. Notice the huge chunk of HP it took off.

One of the nice things about playing a caster class is that, since you don't need TP for anything, you can make liberal use of the sprint ability.

After narrowly avoiding death, I run into a giant bat named Barbastelle. This is the B-rank hunt mark for Lower La Noscea. B-rank marks are non-aggressive, which is quite fortunate, because this thing is level 50. It could kill Freddie just by looking at him.

Killing all those aureliae gets me to level 4, which is a very important level for arcanists.

First off, I get Physick, which is a basic healing spell. Arcanists aren't technically a healing class, but this can be useful in a pinch. But the real prize is this:

My first summoning spell. Arcanists are a "pet" class, which means that a large portion of their damage comes not from themselves, but summoned, mostly autonomous pet.

Say hello to Emerald Carbuncle. He's going to be my best friend for a while.

Carbuncle starts with two abilities of his own. Gust is his primary means of damage. It's slightly more powerful than Ruin, but has a longer recast timer. Combined with Bio, the arcanist-carbuncle team does a respectable amount of damage.

There's also Backdraft, which throws the target back quite a ways. While this can be useful if you're alone and in danger, it's also a good way to annoy people that you're grouped with. Fortunately, you can prevent your carbuncle from using it automatically by setting it to Obey. If left on Sic, the default state, your carbuncle will use it whenever he thinks it's appropriate, which is literally all the time. Pets are kind of dumb if left to their own devices.

I've killed all the critters I need for my arcanist quest, but there's also a sidequest up north in Middle La Noscea.

Up here is a flock of adorable, fuzzy, and unfortunately delicious lambs. A true adventurer should have no qualms with such a morbid task.

With that out of the way, it's time to return to Limsa and collect my rewards. First stop is the Arcanists' Guild.

Thubyrgeim: I suggest you continue your forays into the wilderness and keep the pages of your grimoire turning--there is no finer teacher than the harsh mistress of experience.

Thubyrgeim gives me a hunting log and a handful of raisins (uh, thanks) and tells me to come back at level 5. Fortunately, because I've done all the side quests available to me, I am exactly level 5 now!

I've been here the entire time. Do carbuncles cause memory loss or something? That would be crazy.

Anyway, she tasks me with killing dodos and mandragoras in Lower La Noscea. Before I leave, I make sure to buy a pair of linen tights. The sidequests in your starting city will reward you with all the level 5 gear you need, except for pants, for some reason.

Lookin' good!

These are dodos.

These are mandragoras.

Now they're dead.

This is enough to bring me to level 6, which grants me a new ability in Aetherflow. Right now, this is completely useless to me. I barely use 5% of my MP killing an equal-level mob. Eventually it will become a core part of my arsenal, though.

For the second half of the quest, she tasks me with inspecting some practice crates. Exciting!

Here they are. What could possibly be inside them?

Giant slugs! Practice giant slugs, I assume.

After dispatching the foes, a catgirl falls out of the sky, apparently.

I do not like this character.

I really don't.

Ugh.

Stop talking.

She is just the worst.

K'lyhia: Acting Guildmaster Thubyrgiem elected me to oversee your training, and provide necessary guidance and instruction in the field of arcanima. From what I have observed thus far, you have an admirable grasp of the fundamentals. I do, however, wish to confirm one small detail. Regarding your choice of arcane geometries, what factor most influences your actions during battle?

Freddie wants to have himself a real good time.

Lady, I'm not a statistician, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way.

K'lyhia: Yes, the certainty is quite high. After all, I only know of one other practitioner who responded to my question in the same manner.

K'lyhia: While our inscrutable leader is, as I'm sure you've heard, on an indefinite leave of absence, he did leave us with his most notorious saying to date:

K'lyhia: No matter how gifted you and I might be, however, the instantaneous manipulation of reality that might cause us to suddenly become mighty arcanists is beyond our present abilities. Discipline and experience is the finest strategy in this case.

I suggest you continue to focus on refining your aptitude with Carbuncle. Mastery with an arcane entitity will greatly improve your success as a wielder of arcanima!

Here ends your lesson for today. Pray return directly to the guild--I believe Mistress Thubyrgeim is awaiting some inspected cargo.

I hope I never see her again. Spoilers: I will.

Thubyrgeim: Yes, everything seems to be in order--relatively clear of blood and other gore. That can be something of a problem in our profession, you understand. I also had word from K'lyhia regarding your performance. She seemed eager to continue your training.

An odd lass, I'll admit, but the guild can boast no finder mind for tactics. You would do well to heed the instruction she offers, particularly that which touches on the dillgent approach to our art.

Did you perhaps notice the battered tome K'lyhia carries? That initiate's grimoire has served her from the day she entered the guild. She has her reasons, but it's admittedly strange to see it kept all the way to her present position as foreseer.

I fear such an intense focus on arcanima has led her to overlook other important aspects of life... As our master strategist guides your arcanist training, I hope that you might return the favor and help to boraden her own persective, somewhat.

But enouygh of such matters for the moment. You have done well this day, Freddie. Continue your practice with Carbuncle, as K'lyhia has bid. I will be here when the time comes for your next lesson.

For his troubles, Freddie gets a nice new grimoire. It gives a significant boost to magic damage over his starting book. Magic damage (a misnomer, since it affects healing magic as well) is the most important stat in the game by a wide margin. Always be looking to upgrade your weapon.

He also gets a sweet new robe from the quest.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 5, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Technically it's based on the mob's internal timer, which itself is based on when the mob spawned, but since most mobs spawn on server tics it's functionally the same. There are edge cases though.

And the leatherworking guild master is the best because she's the only one who doesn't suck your dick for making a bronze ingot or whatever.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just really hate the "all according to plan" anime trope and she embodies it so terribly. I kind of like the autistic savant aspect, but then she opens her mouth and says poo poo like "hrm yes I calculate a 32.78% chance of success" and I roll my eyes.

Like what does that even mean.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 6, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter IV: It's a Hard Life

When we last saw our hero, he had just finished ruthlessly slaughtering the cute, innocent wildlife of La Noscea, gained a new pet manifestation of magical math, and had an encounter with a socially stunted catgirl.

This time, he'll be following a lead that will take him to the northern half of Lower La Noscea, and the farming town of Red Rooster Stead. In this case, Niniya tells me that the guards watching the road from Limsa could always use some help. Onwards!

As it turns out, though, when the Yellowjackets need help from adventurers, they go through the Adventurers' Guild. Even though I'm a member, I guess this is a bit of a breech of the chain of command, so this means any assistance I render will be strictly off the books. In any case, Ancreta wants me to gather rivertoad livers for her grand dad. Shouldn't be too hard.

I spoke too soon. And these are the smaller variety of toads in Eorzea. These ugly things, like most other wildlife, are known to prey on hapless lalafells. But for me, they're only level 4 so they go down easy.

Onward to Red Rooster Stead. To the north you can see the great volcano O'Ghomoro. The volcanic soil of Vylbrand is quite rich, and the island is well known for its prosperous farmland. It's quite similar to the big island of Hawai'i. Here in Cedarwood, they grow oranges, lemons, and kukuru beans. Citrus fruits are of course important for preventing scurvy, while kukuru beans are the main ingredient of chocolate.

To the south you can see the drydocks of Moraby Bay. Those odd, sharp spires are from where a fragment of Dalamud fell. I'll be visiting there soon.

Anyway, there are plenty of exciting sidequests to do here. Such as...

Combing sheep for lice!

Getting rid of a mole infestation!

Fetching lost dodos!

And squashing ladybugs! Interestingly, the point of this sidequest is to collect the ladybugs' guts.

It's an early form of pesticide. Neat!

Now I have to deliver a sack of wool to the Grey Fleet, an array of massive windmills along the coast. In addition to milling grains into flour, they can also press wool into felt.

There are more sidequests to do here. Someone has been stealing the flour!

The thieves are none other than galagos, these large lemur-like critters. Freddie delivers swift justice to the flour thieves.

There's also this odd fellow, clearly hard at work inside the millhouse. We'll be seeing more of him much later.

While cheeky monkeys are certainly irritating, the real concern on everyone's minds are the increasingly aggressive kobolds. Kobolds are one of the three intelligent beast tribes that inhabit Vylbrand, and lately there have been reports of raids on human settlements.

Unlike most other quests, this one offers a gear upgrade for disciples of war, but no equivalent for disciples of magic. The ethers are nearly worthless, so I opt for the bronze piece instead.

Freddie ascends to level 8, and learns his first passive trait.

This makes my aetherflow ability useful by granting me a single charge which can be used to cast powerful spells, the first of which has also been learned.

Compared to the rest of my arsenal, this is quite potent. Unlike Ruin and Bio which are classified as spells, this is an ability, which means that it doesn't trigger the global cooldown that affects all spells and weaponskills. Since it consumes my single stack of aetherflow, and Aetherflow itself has a 60 second cooldown, this effectively means that Energy Drain has a 60 second cooldown as well. Although, I have some flexibility in when to use it, and I can save a stack until Atherflow is off cooldown, and fire two Energy Drains in quick succession for some relatively impressive burst damage. The HP drain effect is useful in a pinch, but the MP restoration is only icing, as I still don't have an effective means to actually use my MP.

Aetherflow is an arcanist's central mechanic, and later on I'll receive even more powerful abilities that make use of it, and the ability to stack up to three charges.

Wow, after that long lecture, the sun has begun to set. Have I mentioned how pretty this game is?

One of the watchmen at the Stead is equally concerned with the kobold threat, and bids me investigate a wain that has yet to arrive at its intended destination. "Wain" is an archaic word for a wagon, and a person who builds wains is known as a wainwright. There's your trivia for the day.

Within the Blind Iron Mines, I find the overturned cart. Upon investigation...

The kobold bandits return! Carbuncle keeps them busy while I struggle to get a good screenshot. The lighting is terrible in here!

I report back to Anaoc, the de facto leader of the Stead. Time for some backstory.

Anaoc: The mines of O'Ghomoro aren't enough for the native nuisances of northern Vylbrand anymore. They've come to claim what is ours.

Long ago, our war-weary forebears struck a short-sighted peace with the kobolds: what lay beneath the sea was to be Limsa's, what lay underground was O'Ghomoro's.

Yet what resolved one conflict created another, as the sea cannot fully feed, clothe, and shelter the children of land. Realizing this, the kobolds tacitly condoned the Lominsan settlement of La Noscea. We shared an unspoken agreement.

But now, the kobolds aggressively assert their dominion, threatening our very survival.

Adherence to to a pact is meaningless if it means our demise. It comes time for us to take a stand. Seek the wisdom of Arenlona to learn how.

Freddie gives a stoic nod and sets off to defend these poor, innocent farmers against the dastardly kobold menace.

Before I started doing this, I thought I would keep track of how many times your character nods stoicly, but I've already lost count.

Arenlona's plan is simple: bait the kobolds out with food, and clobber them when they show their faces.

Freddie sets the bait...

...and waits.

Sure enough, a trio of kobolds appear. Freddie and Carbuncle dispatch them with extreme prejudice.

Anaoc congratulates me on a job well done. The Stead is safe for now. He tells me to return to the Drowning Wench and report the goings-on to Baderon.

On the way back, I notice that the stars have come out. In the night sky are several constellations that can easily be seen by the similarly colored stars that comprise them. This green cross-shaped constellation is known as the Bole. A bole is another word for a tree trunk.

Back at the Wench...

Baderon: 'Twas wishful thinkin' to believe the mine rats would stay put in O'Ghomoro.

Any barkeep can tell ye as rodents're wont to spread. This wave comes sooner than reckoned.

The pact was a farce--no 'andhsake ever solved a blood feud. We just needed to lick our wounds a while is all.

Well, I s'pose they're all 'ealed up. Even the Maelstrom's taken note of 'ow the rascals run rampant.

Ye can be sure they're 'oardin' crystals to summon Titan, an' gods 'elp us if they do.

An' there won't be a Company of 'Eroes around to answer our prayers this time, neither!

Five years ago, a band of adventurers known as the Company of Heroes defeated Titan. With their task fulfilled, they went their separate ways. Rumor has it that one of their members is employed as a miller at the Grey Fleet...

My reward for this sidequest branch is a cowl. This is the first appearance of multi-slot equipment. Cowls take up both the body and head slot, and have the combined stats of both. It's a neat idea, but poorly implemented in many ways. If I wanted to replace it, I would need a better hat and chestpiece. Fortunately, the dev team realized how dumb the concept was, and there haven't been any multi-slot pieces since 2.0.

It also looks like a raincoat.

Next time, I'll be heading to Summerford Farms to continue the main story, as well as the arcanist quest line.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: the rivertoads depicted in this update are not native to Vylbrand. They were introduced as a method to curb the population of many pestilent insects (or vilekin as they're known in Eorzea). Unfortunately, since the toads have no known predator, their own population has exploded. Whoops!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The remaining moon, Menphina, also goes through phases. One lunar cycle is 32 days (the basis of the Eorzean calendar), or about 38 hours in real time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You know what, let's just move this off this page.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter V: Cat Bottomed Girls

It's time to get the story moving again. Baderon has a lead for me.

Baderon: Still in Limsa, are ye, Freddie? 'Ow'd ye fancy a trip outside the city walls?

I'd like ye to visit an orchard by the name o' Summerford Famrs. Ever 'eard o' the place? The owner, Staelwyrn, is an old mate o' mine.

'E's got 'imself a crew o' mostly reformed pirate types, if ye can believe that, and 'as been tryin' to bring a bit o' life back to the fields after the Calamity ruined the soil. 'E mentioned needin' another 'and or two, and yer name sprang to mind.
I gave ye a glowin' recommendation, so make sure ye work 'ard and impress the old bastard. Ye need directions? The place ain't 'ard to find. Just take the Zephyr Gate out o' the city, and follow the road northeast.

Like Baderon said, you can't miss Summerford. It's almost literally a hop, skip, and jump away. MMOs aren't exactly known for their sense of scale.

Staelwyrn: You honored his word, so that's a good start. I'm Staelwyrn, the "old bastard," as Baderon likely describes me, and this here is my humble orchard.

A good number of the lads and lasses workin' here once terrorized the high seas. And if you're wonderin' why I employ these scrags, well, they used to crew my pirate ship.

But the Calamity did for our ship, like it did so many others, and I was sore wounded into the bargain.

I had to feed myself and my crew somehow, and Admiral Merlwyb's initiative to get us landlocked buccaneers workin' the fields seemed too fine an offer to refuse.

Well, it turns out you can take the pirate away from the sea, but you can't take the sea away from the pirate. A lot of my blokes just never took to tendin' the soil, you see.

And unfortunately, the botanists I called in to train 'em have been wringin' their hands in black despair. With so much work pilin' up, I need a tougher soul like you to step in and help where it's needed.

Of course, before I go to work, Staelwyrn has to check my gear to make sure I'm up to snuff. Only one problem...

Wearing a cowl counts as wearing nothing in your head slot, and since the quest requires wearing a level 5 item in every slot, I can't proceed. Fortunately, I haven't sold my old hat or robe yet, so it's an easy fix.

Staelwyrn: Erstwhile buccaneers are an ornery lot. They rage in love for the sea, and care little for the laws of the land.

But they respect strength, and by the looks of you, I'd say you'll have little trouble gettin' their attention.

Well, that was easy. Guess I'll just grab the next quest.

But I haven't gone anywhere! I swear everyone is losing their minds.

Staelwyrn: I hope I've read you aright, for I've a task that requires the attention of a capable adventurer. Might that adventurer be you?

And what's this got to do with Summerford Farms, you might ask. Well, that remains to be seen, but it seems a collection of right unsavory fellows with azure-tattooed faces has been creepin' up to the edges of the fields and spyin' on my yeomen.

Now, I doubt anyone would enjoy bein' scrutinized by such savages at the best of times, but the farmhands are convinced that they're the kidnappers of rumor, come for their hides.

Needless to say, they're beside 'emselves with worry, and their work's sufferin' for it─which is the very last thing I need when my old crewmen are still gettin' used to their new jobs. 'Tis a struggle to get 'em to leave the farmhouse of a mornin'.

That is, as they say, where you come in. Would you be willin' to investigate these tattooed thugs for me?

Freddie casts Stoic Nod Lv. 3. Freddie earns the achievement "Brotherhood of Nods"!

Staelwyrn: I suggest you begin by havin' a look around Seasong Grotto. If reports are to be believed, our unwelcome visitors have occupied the place.

Be careful, though, Quicksilver--I couldn't say for sure what manner of miscreants we're dealin' with here. If they are the kidnappers...well, just be on your guard, all right?

Well, it's not like I have anything better to do. The grotto is a little hole in the ground with a monument at the center, and it's haunted by bogies, weird balloon-shaped ghosts.

Inspecting the monument initiates a special instance. It's time to meet a new character.

You can actually read what's being spoken on the monument. The Eorzean alphabet is just the Roman alphabet with a few alterations.

A lot of people should recognize this character even if you haven't played the game. This is Y'Shtola, and she's the representative of this game in Square-Enix compilation games like Dissidia and Theatrhythm, although she doesn't give me her name yet here.

Y'Shtola: It is both a litany against misfortune for those out on the waves...

...and a prayer that the souls of those who perish on land might find their way back to the sea.

If you're playing a legacy character, she remarks that you seem somehow familiar. Otherwise...

Y'Shtola: I thought myself on the trail of the kidnappers, but it would seem I have missed my mark.

Suddenly!

Like I said earlier, goobbues are normally docile, but this one is pissed for some reason.

Y'Shtola: Nor is it a coincidence that the two of us should come here in search of those responsible for the disappearances only to be attacked.

But who stands to benefit from the keeping of this secret?

Such thoughts must wait. Let us attend to the task at hand, unpleasant though it be.

Y'Shtola does about a hundred times more damage than I could right now, so trying to help her out would be a token gesture at best. Freddie does his best to soothe the savage beast by rubbing its belly instead.

That doesn't seem to work, so he changes his strategy to providing moral support.

Eventually the beast is felled!

After the battle, Freddy finds a beautiful blue crystal on the ground. He takes it back to Limsa Lominsa to show it off, and everyone is in awe of it. Unfortunately, it's actually a chunk of cesium salt from a nearby Garlean outpost. Within days, Freddie and most of the residents of Limsa are dead or dying from acute radiation sickness.

The end! No moral.

OK, not really. Instead, something weirder happens. Freddie gets swept away to the empty black void, where a giant crystal tells him to go out and collect more radioactive isotopes crystals of light.

Boy, those tights leave nothing to the imagination.

Back in the real world...

Y'Shtola: I have seen knives of this kind before─they are most commonly used for the cutting of rope.

It would appear our culprits are seafaring men of some persuasion...piratical being the most probable.

I don't think piratical is a word, Y'Shtola.

Y'Shtola: I confess, I was rather taken aback when you collapsed at the very moment of our victory. Mayhap a surfeit of aether...?

Freddie describes his vision through a complicated series of nods and hand gestures.

Y'Shtola: Well, well... This has been a day of unexpected revelations.

I must continue my investigation.

In the meantime, I suggest you deliver this knife to your patron, along with a warning concerning the pirates' probable involvement in this murky business.

The days ahead promise little rest, I fear...

Freddie returns to Summerford post haste.

Staelwyrn: My lads were all gabbin' about hearin' what sounded like all seven hells breakin' loose near the grotto, and I feared I'd sent you to your death.

If you were in the middle of that commotion, I hope it yielded somethin' of interest. I'd hate to think you'd risked your life for naught.

Freddie shows him the knife.

Staelwyrn: Aye, I'd agree that such a knife would be part of any seafarin' man's kit.

I'm startin' to think that these ruffians are pirates, come to lure my farmhands back to a life of plunder. Chances are, they didn't take kindly to your appearance on their doorstep, and set a maddened goobbue on you.

Aye, the pirates have been addin' to their numbers of late. I'd best warn the lads and lasses in my employ to be on guard against their

...Hm? You met someone else at the grotto? A woman with a strange contraption...? Ah...Y'shtola!

She's been in Limsa Lominsa for a good while now. Her studies of the aether often bring her out to Summerford, so her presence at the grotto is hardly unusual.

She's an odd-lookin' lass, I grant you, but she's not the kind to associate with kidnappers. You may take my word for that.

Staelwyrn: You have my thanks, Quicksilver. If it weren't for the efforts of stalwart adventurers like yourself, this farm would be in a far worse state than it is.

Just you keep on lendin' your talents to those in need, eh? Help bring Limsa the brighter future she deserves.

I'll end this update with some pirates-turned-farmers singing a filthy sea shanty.

Minor lore note: For Seekers of the Sun, the clan that Y'Shtola belongs to, the first letter of their name actually denotes their tribe. So in this case it's short for Shtola of the Y Tribe, although only people who are very close to her would call her Shtola. Similarly, K'Lyhia would be Lyhia of the K Tribe.

And yes, there are 26 tribes, one for each letter of the alphabet.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say they're kind of like hippos, they mostly keep to themselves but they're also one of the most deadly creatures on the planet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's even more to it than that, but I don't want to go full sperg. The writing team put a lot of effort into naming conventions for every race and clan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Which is something I enjoy fully.

Even if when I was making my character I didn't realize that the 'name randomizer' uses that.

So, I changed my character's first name to something else, because I didn't understand that 'Lunene Lune' is a legit Plainsfolk Lalafell name. So, in my head my character has that as her birth name, and just goes by Cawti Lune because it's a bit easier on non-lalafell tongues.

Yep, and one of the most noticeable ones is for male catgirls male seekers of the sun. For them, all of the surnames the randomizer gives you are either "Tia" or the occasional "Nunh". The latter shouldn't be available if you ask me, though.

There's a lalafell NPC somewhere named Memedesu. 100% lore-friendly!

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

That certainly didn't help when my frame rate started tanking.

That's an easy fix, just use provoke.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter VI: We Will Rock You

Last time, Freddie and his new feline friend narrowly avoided goobbuey death. This time, he kicks some former pirates into gear and gets Summerford Farms back to ship-shape.

STAELWYRN: That sea-sloth Sevrin and his lot─never around when there's work to be done! I'd sooner hire you for the sake of gettin' things done, but then the rapscallions would never learn. Round them up and let them know that Staelwyrn would like a word... And don't take “no” for an answer!

Like Staelwyrn said, it's hard to teach an old seadog new tricks, and the Summerford farmers spend most of their time boozing, brawling, and generally being pirates.

The botanists he hired to supervise them are at their wits' ends.

While pirates are gonna pirate, Sevrin here is definitely the problem child of the bunch.

SEVRIN: Tell my dear old captain not to wet his britches. I'll be along. Oh, and just so we're clear—I don't care for landlubbers. Go find the chocobo you rode in on, and ride on out.

Turning in a sidequest brings Freddie to level 10, and with that he gains 3 bonus attribute points. For almost every class, this is a no-brainer: just put the points into whatever increases your damage output. They even made this question simpler in 3.2, by making vitality increase the attack power for tank classes. But arcanists are special. For reasons that aren't obvious now, they have to choose between intelliegence and mind. Fortunately, changing your bonus points is easy and relatively cheap, so it's not a critical decision. Since mind will only help out if I want Freddie to heal, and he's still classified as a DPS class, I elect to put the points into intelligence for now.

Freddie also learns Miasma, his second damage over time (DOT) spell. Unlike Bio, this one has a cast time and some secondary effects. The malady effect isn't terribly useful right now, but the heavy effect makes mobs move slower. This gives me more time to spam Ruin before the mob gets to melee range, but Freddie is rarely at risk of dying from melee attacks, other than angry goobbues. The total potency is 300, so over the full duration it's the strongest spell available at this point. Bio is better damage per second, however, so it has higher priority on weak mobs that won't survive for the full duration.

It also does a little bit of damage up front, unlike Bio. This is an important distinction, because it means that Miasma can miss. Actions that don't do immediate damage, like Bio, always hit. Right now this isn't terribly important, but it's something to keep in mind.

Anyway, time to report back to the old bastard.

STAELWYRN: It's no fault of yours he squirmed out. I've let that worm wriggle through my fingers more times than I can count. But rest assured, the next time I see him, I'll put him squarely in the dirt, where all such worms belong.

Speaking of which...

STAELWYRN: Pains me to say, but all the gil in the world can't buy loyalty. There are some, like you, who can be trusted. But then there are others... Until now, I've had no choice but to rely on that charlatan Sevrin, even though I am full aware he's been doin' shady deals behind my back. More than once I've heard tell of improper tradin' with goblins. I wouldn't be the least surprised if that were happenin' right now. Not a bell ago, a sack of oranges vanished, as did Sevrin. I want you to find and confront the bastard for me, Quicksilver. I'm sure there's wrongdoin' afoot, so be sure to doubt anythin' that comes out of his mouth.

Down the road, Freddie quickly finds Sevrin and gives him a piece of his mind.

SEVRIN: What's this now? Staelwyrn sent you for the oranges? Huh... So the old bugger had known all this time... Argh, what does it matter anyway? Listen, you're one o' those goody-goody adventurer types, right? Go rescue me mates from those double-dealin' goblins! They're just over yonder by the bonfire. You save me mates and, by the Navigator, you'll have your sack o' scurvy snacks!

Sure enough, the gobbies are up to know good. Freddie does what adventurers do best, and that's dispensing swift violence without moral reservations.

It doesn't look like Sevrin gave me the whole story, though.

SEVRIN: S'pose I should be ashamed I couldn't clean up my own mess... But a pirate knows no shame! I've no qualms about goin' back on my word! I'm only givin' you this sack 'cause I like the cut of your jib. Take it to Ossine, an' send him my regards.

The Yellowjackets at the checkpoint are pleasantly surprised by the punctual delivery. A quick teleport back to Summerford...

STAELWYRN: Ah, this is what I was aimin' for! Looks to be all I was owed, all right. Though, I'd be tellin' you false if I claimed I had not held out more hope for Sevrin. I was even willin' to overlook the skimmin' off the top, but to sell us all short in favor of those godsforsaken goblins... You'd do well to mind yourself around that two-gil cheat. If he'd leave his own mates for dead, there's no tellin' what he'd do to you.

There's a few main story quests now without much plot significance. The farmers need more fertilizer, and apparently some pirates have been stealing their shovels.

Rhotwyda directs me to the solution to the former problem. What are aurochs, other than the mascot of a terrible blitzball team?

These ugly sons of bitches.

Adventuring is messy business sometimes.

Here are the shovel-stealing pirates. This guy has a unique name, but beyond that there's nothing special about him. He doesn't drop anything important, he's not the target of a quest or a hunt, and he's not involved in any FATEs. I don't think there are any other mobs like him. Weird.

Sevrin's still up to no good, as it seems. Better let Staelwyrn know.

STAELWYRN: It eases my mind to have your ear. You're no doubt familiar with that scoundrel Sevrin by now. Well, the schemin' scapegrace is at it again. Since that letter came for him, he's been skulkin' about in that manner he does when he's up to no good.

STAELWYRN: I've grown accustomed to his insolence, but somethin' tells me this is different. It ain't exactly damnin', but when last I had words with him, he didn't look defiant so much as hunted. I can't help thinkin' he's gone lookin' for trouble and found more than he wanted. So I was hopin' you might hunt his sorry hide down and drag it back here before it's too late. The ungrateful little cur bites me every chance he gets, but I can't quite bring myself to cut him loose. I s'pose he reminds me a bit of my younger self.

Suffice it to say, I'd rather he didn't come to a sticky end. As for how to find him, I'd try askin' Grynewyda at the aetheryte. She was the last one to see him. I daresay she'll be able to tell you where he was headed.

Off to Woad Whisper Canyon!

What a scenic place for a confrontations.

TATTOOED MAN: We were prepared to overlook the matter of your desertion on the condition that you provided us with suitable replacements. That was the agreement. Yet your latest change of heart leaves your debt to us unpaid. Few are they who betray the Serpent Reavers twice. You will not do so a third time.

TATTOOED MAN: Cowering behind your protector will only delay the inevitable. Honorless wretch...your life is all you have left. And worthless though it be, we shall take it!

Just like Crash in Thanalan, I have to face a golem alone here. It looks intimidating, but he's kind of a pushover, especially if you've been doing sidequests.

I don't even bother moving out of his AOE attacks, because all they do is damage that I can withstand. Also, the localization team had a lot of fun with this game.

Adventurers are silent murder hobos, so I'd say Freddie is as ordinary as they come.

Y'Shtola shows up too late to get kill credit, and mumbles something under her breath about early pulling.

Freddie decides that this is a good time to have somebody else's flashback.

Y'SHTOLA: But the timing of their appearance coincides all too neatly with the recent surge in Sahagin and kobold activity... Something is afoot. The question is: what?

...Could it be that the tribes are planning to summon their primals? Twelve help us if it should prove so. Limsa would be hard-pressed to keep a single primal at bay, let alone two. But all is yet speculation. I must needs find evidence.

Y'SHTOLA: And ilm by ilm, the world becomes ever more unlike itself.
It is as Louisoix foretold... The coming of chaos has rendered the laws of nature mutable, blurring the boundary between the material and aetherial planes... Little now stands between us and the primals... But they are not here yet.

“Though time be against us, hope shall ever be on our side.”

Sharlayan is yet another of the six city-states of Eorzea, although very little is known about it by the player at this point.

Five years later, Y'Shtola has apparently never changed her clothes, but she got some sweet new goggles.

Well that ties things up nicely. Back to reality...

Y'Shtola gets a call on her codex linkpearl.

Y'SHTOLA: A golem is a mindless automaton, inert save when commanded to be otherwise. Common pirates could not hope to control such a thing, so arcane are its workings. But then these tattooed wretches are no common pirates─they are the minions of the Sahagin. As to their purpose...well, I shall get to the bottom of it. But first I must escort Sevrin back to his place of employment. I daresay Staelwyrn will be wondering what has become of him. And you too, for that matter. I will bear word to him of your preservation, but I am certain he would like to thank you in person. Pray pay the man a visit.

Y'SHTOLA: I am...a naturalist of sorts, surveying the aether in the hope that it might offer up some clue as to our predicament.

SEVRIN: 'Tis a debt I can never repay. But I'll not make things worse by runnin' away. Take me to Summerford Farms, an' I'll face the consequences.

Y'SHTOLA: Until our paths next cross, farewell.

Upon returning to Summerford...

STAELWYRN: Y'shtola delivered Sevrin a bit ago. Tales of your heroic deeds precede you! The rest came shufflin' back, too─the lot of 'em sportin' the same haunted expression.

SEVRIN: It's me who's to blame for that─that an' the rest. I was once a Serpent Reaver.

STAELWYRN: ...A thrall to the Sahagin? Seven hells... Reavers may look and sound and act like pirates, but they're naught but the fishbacks' flunkies.

SEVRIN: Us pirates ain't much for laws, but there's things we won't do. We've got a code, see─but the Reavers've never followed a word of it. A few years back, they started snatchin' law-abidin' Lominsans. I'd only just taken my oath when our captain bent the knee to his new Sahagin masters. I knew I had to get away. So I crept off one night, got myself a new name, an' found myself a new home─Summerford Farms. Trouble is, secrets don't stay secret for long 'round here, an' word soon spread...all the way back to the sea. The penalty for desertion is death, but the Reavers offered me a way out instead─my freedom in exchange for my mates'.

STAELWYRN: The letter...

SEVRIN: I dunno what I was thinkin'... I wasn't bloody thinkin'. Too busy soilin' meself.

SEVRIN: Be that as it may, no deed, however good, can atone for the crime of betrayin' your brethren. I know that─I do. That's why I'm going to hand myself over to the Yellowjackets. I'll bring shame to the farm no more.

STAELWYRN: Hm. You'll hear no arguments from me. Each man must sail accordin' to his own moral compass. I just hope yours guides you back here someday. There will always be a place for you at Summerford Farms, lad.

STAELWYRN: If I could ask one more favor of you, it'd be this: tell Baderon what's happened, from start to finish. I'm certain he'd put in a good word for Sevrin if he knew the whole story. And he's one of the few people I know who the Yellowjackets'll listen to. Well, I reckon I've asked all I can possibly ask of you. Safe travels, son.

Home again, home again, jiggity-jig.

BADERON: Ah, but ye needn't worry yerself over young Sevrin. The Yellowjacket as 'ands out the punishments is a good mate o' mine. If I ask 'im nice, I reckon 'e'd be willin' to commute the lad's sentence from 'angin' to keelhaulin', kindly gent that 'e is.

...Ah, I'm only jestin' with ye! I'll see 'e's treated fair. Now, it sounds to me like ye've done everythin' ol' Staelwyrn asked o' ye an' more─justifyin' me generous finder's fee in the process. Much obliged, lad!

As a reward, Baderon lets me stay at the inn for free whenever I want. Not bad! I also get a new hat.

I guess it's an improvement over the yellow raincoat.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 27, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sometimes Sevrin likes to refer to himself in the third person, ok??

TiamosLoren posted:

Also, I'm that weird guy that, when given points to spend as an Arcanist, I throw them at Piety, because I can never stick to either Intelligence or Mind (since I tend to use both later on). Personally I don't think it's too bad of an idea to do that, since it means less switching later on and, given how the potencies so far are fairly weak (the DPS scales higher the longer the battle with Arcanists, I feel, rather than power) it's better to be able to sustain it than it is to try and burst it. I don't know though, don't have any kind of comparison to make on that end.

MP isn't going to be an issue for you at all until you get past level 50, and even then it's not worth putting points into piety.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 26, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

In tomorrow's patch, they're adding a way to hide UI elements during non-cutscene dialogue, so a lot of these screenshots should be less cluttered.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter VII: Another One Bites the Dust

After helping out Summerford Farms, Baderon has another lead for me. This will take me further north along the road and eventually to Swiftperch in Western La Noscea.

There's honestly not much to say about the next short leg of the main story quest, so this is a good a time as any to do the next arcanist quest. I've been putting it off for a while.

THUBYRGEIM: Yes, Freddie, the time for your next lesson is upon us. You are keeping well, I trust? Taking the occasional brisk walk? One cannot form sound thoughts if one fails to maintain a sound body.

Now, assuming you have been following K'lyhia's instructions, you should be ready to face the more dangerous threats found in western La Noscea. I speak of roselings and wild jackals. And yes, I would have you vanquish three of each. 'Tis the perfect sample size: the first acts as a preliminary test case, the second to test your hypotheses, the third to perfect the tactics you've devised.

Speaking of which, I trust your strategy will consist of more than simply flinging Ruin over and over again. You are not the novice you once were, and your skills in the field ought reflect that. If you find yourself wanting for other approaches, consider the efficacious combination of Aetherflow and Energy Drain. When timed appropriately, you can simultaneously restore your own waning supply of mana and deal a crippling blow to your opponent.

Thubyrgeim tells me things about my class I've long since figured out, and hopefully any new player should have as well. It's kind of weird that she wouldn't mention my powerful DoT spells at all, though. Maybe they changed the order in which you learned spells some time after they finalized quest dialogue? On the other hand, some class quests are notoriously bad at teaching you how to play your class. I'm looking at you, marauder.

This is the Skylift. As many NPCs are eager to point out, the Calamity really hosed up the landscape, so this scaffolding and balloon transport system was set up to deal with the changes. Also, I like the conversation going on in chat right now.

Of course there's plenty of adventuring to be done here. Nothing glamorous, just delivering some packages and stomping on the local fauna. Killing a couple crabs should be easy, right?

OH GOD

In 1.0, a lot of enemy models were really small, and this was one of many things players complained about. I think they might be overcompensating, now.

Here's one of my delivery points, the Foremast. This is actually part of Limsa Lominsa. It looks like it should be a third entrance to the city, but it's not, for whatever reason.

At level 12, I learn Virus. It doesn't do any damage, but it effectively reduces the target's physical damage output by 15%. Kind of nice in a pinch while soloing, but it sees a lot more usage in high-level duties.

The next quest leads me to Western La Noscea. You can see the massive Pharos Sirius in the distance, a great lighthouse that once stood watch over the bay. A huge chunk of corrupted aether crystal put it out of commission during the Calamity, unfortunately, and there are rumors that a siren has taken up residence there.

Swiftperch is a podunk compared to the previous towns I've visited. Unlike the other regions of Vylbrand, Western La Noscea was hit the hardest by the Calamity, with the soil turning dry and barren.

There used to be vast farms of wheat, barley, and rye for making ale, but now the farmers have to turn to other crops to make ends meet.

One of the smaller lighthouses on the coast, the Brewer's Beacon, is growing dim. Fixing it is a bit tricky, because apparently they use live bombs to power the light.

As in these guys. Whatever floats your boat, so to speak.

Unfortunately, the lighthouse furnace has been damaged, so it's off to Naldiq and Vymelli's to seek out repairs.

The corrupted crystal in the Pharos glows at night, so it kind of still serves its purpose.

Mayhap you shouldn't be using live bombs in your lighthouses??

Anyway, now that I'm back in LL, it's time to follow up on the arcanist quest. I killed the trash mobs off screen, I assure you.

THUBYRGEIM: Welcome back, Freddie. How did it feel to conquer such ferocious foes? Let us ride that wave of triumph onto an even more demanding─and dangerous─challenge.

Your next training exercise will have you accompanying Foreseer K'lyhia on one of her inspections. This experience will afford you the opportunity to witness firsthand the practical application of arcanima. Pray do not tarry, Freddie─K'lyhia awaits you on the floor below with further details.

In the basement is the carbuncle training grounds.

If you ever wanted to know what a manifestation of magical math sounds like, here you go.

K'LYHIA: Our agents suspect these beastman merchants of dealing in forbidden goods. As such, I have calculated that announcing an inspection has a 60% chance of inviting physical violence. I have prepared a strategy to respond to this possible shift into hostilities, but there is an important precondition you should be made aware of before we discuss the finer points of my plan.

Though I am considered gifted in the formation of tactics, I lack the reflexes and coordination necessary to employ many of those selfsame strategies on the field of battle. Pray keep this factor in mind, and adjust your perceptions accordingly.
Now, should the goblins offer battle, you are to execute Combat Pattern 1345, otherwise known as “Stratagem Focus Fire.”
You and your Emerald Carbuncle will concentrate your attacks on a single foe, and, one by one, the enemy will wither under the combined onslaught. Probability of victory: 95%.

K'Lyhia is full of overly verbose poo poo, as usual. Might as well get this over with.

Gobbiespeak takes some getting used to, as some of the compound words they use aren't immediately obvious. It's kind of like a literal translation of German.

Sorry, I kind of tune out whenever you're talking.

Anyway, K'Lyhia tells me that the best strategy is to "focus fire" on one goblin at a time, and like I said earlier, she's full of poo poo.

Against a single target, a DoT spell has to last its full duration to get its full damage potential. You could look at Bio, for example, as a 240 potency spell with an 18 second cooldown. After applying your DoTs, all you have left is spamming Ruin.

But this changes when you have multiple targets to choose from. You can spread your DoTs on each of them, which bypasses the effective cooldown. To put it another way, if I focused on one target at a time as K'Lyhia suggests, I could only do about 58 potency per second. But if I spread my DoTs around, that would be 26 potency per second per target, which would beat out the single target potency for three or more targets. That's a bit of simplification, but you should get my point.

This is known as "multi-doting" and is very powerful.

Anyway, the goblins go down without much effort.

K'LYHIA: On that note, there is another question I would ask you: when it comes to improving the probable success of a strategy, do you consider it more effective to concentrate on playing to your strengths, or shoring up your weaknesses?

What weaknesses?

Whatever you choose, it's how the guildmaster would have responded.

K'LYHIA: But to return to the subject of battle plans, your calculations must include an accurate assessment of your available techniques and their relative effectiveness. This requires you to be critically aware of your own limits, the limits of your allies, and the characteristics of your enemies.

THUBYRGEIM: It seems you were treated to a lecture on “knowing thyself.” That particular lesson is ordinarily taught only to intermediate practitioners. Without a sufficient store of combat experience from which to draw, it is difficult to fully appreciate the profundity of such a seemingly simple truth.

Nevertheless, I feel confident that you will soon be ready for a more ambitious assignment. Keep to your studies, and maintain the razor edge of your mind.

At this point, Thubyrgeim gives me permission to join other guilds, but there's no real pressing reason for it quite yet.

Oh, at some point, Freddie got some sweet new glasses.

Very studious.

Next time, I'll be wrapping up the Limsa Lominsa storyline.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 2, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hellsguard names are almost always fantastic. There's a player on Excalibur named Yellow Snow. Perfectly lore-friendly!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I feel like "Butte" has a lot of unused potential as a Hellsgaurd surname.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blob boss is the worst fight in the entire game. If everyone knows what to do, it's a boring time sink. If anyone doesn't know what to do, it's a frustrating, boring time sink. I once got stuck in there for over 10 minutes because someone kept killing the bombs, and obviously wasn't paying attention to party chat. Either they were an idiot or a troll, but it was not a fun experience regardless. Maybe it's a neat idea in concept, but in execution it's just terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The latest patch introduced an NPC named Raging Ox. He's not a pugilist, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TiamosLoren posted:

Uhm...Leatherworker? Forgive my confusion here, but...wouldn't working with metals be more suited to a Gladiator? Unless you're just looking to make mad bank off some of the skins, in which case go right ahead.

You don't need to choose crafting professions based on your combat class, like in most other MMOs. There's a lot of reasons for that. First of all, you can level every crafting and gathering class. There's no reason to limit yourself. Second, you should level every crafting and gathering class, because that makes crafting easier. Third, the gear each combat class wears doesn't always come from the same profession, like in most MMOs. Gladiators mostly wear gear made by armorsmiths, but they also wear things made by leatherworkers, goldsmiths, carpenters, blacksmiths, and even weavers. Most tank pants are made by weavers, in fact. Finally, leveling a crafting class just to gear up your very first combat class is a fool's errand. You'd spend more time leveling the crafting class than the time that crafted gear would save you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Chapter VIII: Seaside Rendezvous

It's time to begin the penultimate quest line for Limsa Lominsa. H'Naanza has some work for me down in Lower La Noscea.

H'NAANZA: What say you to taking on some work from Naldiq & Vymelli's? We've a great hulking warship to build and could certainly use an extra hand for any number of tasks.

For your first job, I need you to run this missive over to Ahtbyrm, the head shipwright at the Moraby Drydocks.

We forge most of the ship's bits and pieces here at the Armorers' Guild, but the actual construction takes place at the docks found in the south of lower La Noscea.

That's also where you'll find the main offices of Naldiq & Vymelli's. The Moraby Drydocks is one of Limsa Lominsa's most important districts─at least as far as I'm concerned─and I'm sure you'll not regret attuning yourself to the area's aetheryte.

If you've no confidence in your sense of direction, you'd be best served making use of the chocobo porters. First floor of the Mizzenmast, in case you were wondering.

Should you choose to make the trek on your own two feet, leave the city through the Tempest Gate and follow the road south. May the Navigator guide your steps.

Along the way, I stop to slaughter some harmless goobbues for my hunting log. A few levels ago, they could demolish me, but now I make short work of them. Every class has the "big and scary put passive" mob of their region in their log. It's a good way to show the player how far they've come.

Welcome to the Moraby Drydocks. This is where Limsa's great warships are built.

Ahtbyrm here is the foreman of this huge vessel. His name means "Eight Trees".

AHTBYRM: Freddie, is it? Well, Freddie, this proud maiden you see taking shape before you is the Victory, the first new vessel to grace the docks since the Calamity.

AHTBYRM: Yet even with such unprecedented measures, there are never enough hands to handle the abundance of tasks. Should you choose to linger at the docks for a time, there is no end of odd jobs for a hardworking adventurer. Be you fair warned─there is no place here for layabouts and troublemakers.

Well let's get down to business then!

AHTBYRM: Where in the seven hells is that man!? Not once in twelve moons has he been late with a shipment, and now two whole turns of the sun without a single word.

A shipwright of mine─a young man named Fyrilsmyd─recently left Candlekeep Quay to retrieve several crates of supplies ordered from Limsa Lominsa...but has yet to return.

I have sent several missives to Haldbroda, but his replies are always the same. He does not recall ever seeing the wright, nor the supplies he was scheduled to collect. That man knows something, and I severely doubt he is telling me the whole truth.

As I cannot leave my post, I would ask you to travel to Candlekeep Quay in my stead and inform Haldbroda that if he insists on playing these games, I will personally see that he is transferred to Turtleback Island, where he can rot alone in the middle of the sea for eternity.

I find Haldbroda ("Kind Brother") at the Quay, but he seems to be playing the fool.

Freddie gives him a piece of his mind.

HALDBRODA: Turtleback Island!? He cannot do that...can he?

I swear on my poor nana's grave, Navigator rest her soul, I know naught of this Fyrilsmyd, nor his precious supplies.

Hells, we here at the Quay have had enough trouble these past few suns, what with the sinking of that Lominsan cargo ship off the Salt Strand. I haven't the time to take a proper piss, let alone make note of every scrag that wanders in off the Grip.

A sunken cargo ship? That's kind of a big deal.

HALDBRODA: Who knows? You may just run across this Fyrilsmyd everyone seems so eager to find. Here's to hoping the Navigator hasn't found him first.

Here's the Salt Strand from above. This is one of the many impact sites of a fragment of Dalamud. The heat of the impact turned the sand to glass, and left the telltale glow of corrupted aether.

Sure enough, here's Fyrilsmyd ("Lost Smith", quite appropriate here).

FYRILSMYD: Two nights past, I made the trip from the Drydocks to Candlekeep Quay, just as the foreman asked. The seas were right rough, and the cap'n of the cargo ship was wary of bringin' her too close to the cliffs, so I paid a few coins to a fisher to take me out to meet her.

By the time we was halfway 'twixt shore and ship, the swells had risen to nigh on ten yalms, and 'twasn't long afore the waves had hold of us. Try as we might to steady the boat, nature's grip was too tight, and we was flung headlong into the Lominsan galley.

When I awoke, both ships were gone, and the cargo I was to collect lay strewn across the Salt Strand. I's made every effort to salvage it, but the sands are crawlin' with Qiqirn, and I ain't a one with a sword. And now ye see why it is I cannot return to the Drydocks...

Nothing to do but help the fellow out. Qiqirns are rodent-like beastmen that are known for being thieves and scavengers.

FYRILSMYD: I'll deliver the supplies right away...but first I must stop by the Quay so that I might pay me respects to the widow of the brave fisher who gave his life fer a handful o' coin.

Could ye tell Ahtbyrm that I'll be back at the Drydocks by nightfall? Many thanks, adventurer! I will not forget this kindness!

If it's nighttime, he'll tell you that he'll be back by daybreak. It's such a minor detail, but it's there.

AHTBYRM: You see, there was no storm that day, and the seas here adjacent the Drydocks were as calm as a slumbering child. This leads me to believe that the trouble the ships encountered off Candlekeep Quay was of a less natural sort─the sort which the Sahagin have been known to conjure.

Well that makes things interesting. The Sahagin attacking the Drydocks would be a disaster.

AHTBYRM: Ghimthota, head of the watch here at the Drydocks, believes that pirates may be plotting an attack on the Victory, and she requires assistance investigating a group of unsavory individuals making camp nearby. I have recommended you for the task.

Despite all Limsa Lominsa endured before, during, and following the Calamity, the fact that there are still those who would turn their backs on the city–state so that they might line their pockets with a few handfuls of coin... Just the thought of it sickens me.

Ghimthota ("Modest Daughter") lets Freddie know that eyes are increasingly on him.

GHIMTHOTA: And you'll be pleased to know that nothing...incriminating was found. You appear to be a model citizen. That, and the foreman seems to think somewhat highly of you...which I must admit is quite shocking. The man doesn't even trust his own mother.

Very well, then. I assume Ahtbyrm informed you of what your task would entail. The pirates we believe are conspiring to raid the Drydocks were last seen making camp near an ancient stone called the mark of the Spinner. I would have you approach the men, posing as a lost adventurer, and see if you cannot somehow learn of their intentions. C'nangho stationed at the rear gates can provide you with an exact location of the camp.

Here's the stone Ghimthota spoke of, a shrine to Nymeia, the Spinner.

And here are the pirates!

DISREPUTABLE PIRATE: Ye see, I's 'ad it up to me ears with yer type, roamin' the 'ills like they was yers to roam. It's gettin' to be that a man cannae enjoy a mug o' rum wivout some shite-breath outlander runnin' up askin' which is the way to the local levemete. Seven 'ells if I know! I'm a bloody pirate, godsdammit!

Thal's balls! Once we 'ave me boy back, I'm puttin' this godsforsaken piss'ole of an island so far behind me, ain't no one'll remember I was ever 'ere. Come on, scrags. We's knives to sharpen.

I love this guy's dialogue. All these adventurers, asking for jerbs!

GHIMTHOTA: Could it be that their target never was the Victory?

Something is not right, and I won't sit by idly waiting for those pirates to make the first move. I shall order increased patrols immediately. Thank you again for your help, Freddie. It appears we were wise to put our trust in you.

GHIMTHOTA: They creep ever closer to the Drydocks, so I must assume they mean to target the Victory herself.
That ship is the symbol of everything Limsa Lominsa strives to become, and I will not allow these base scoundrels to lay a single finger upon her hull.

We must apprehend them before they put their plans into motion! And you, Freddie, are just the man to do it.
Without your capable assistance, I fear the security of the Drydocks cannot be guaranteed.

Not moments ago, my guards submitted reports of suspicious activity in the area. Pray begin your efforts by listening to one of their accounts firsthand.

It matters not whom you choose to speak with, but be sure to question either Urswyrst at the front gate or C'nangho at the rear.

Any suspect saboteurs you encounter during the course of your investigation are to be interrogated. Report any and all findings directly to me.

Up on the cliffs above Moraby is this suspicious fellow. I guess that pirate attack is imminent. Better report back on the double!

GHIMTHOTA: Gods below, we are not prepared for this!

The pirates, soldier, how many do they number?

STORM SOLDIER: Not sure... More than I could quickly count... Seemed to be carrying...explosives...

GHIMTHOTA: Explosives!? Then there is no time to lose!

Freddie summons all his strength and power to cast Stoic Nodaga. The Maelstrom soldiers are all inspired by his resolve. Victory is all but assured!

A handful of pirates try to stop me, but they're no match for Freddie and Carbuncle. As a side note, I kind of regret not naming this character Paul Simon.

Ahtzapfyn ("Eight Fingers"), the pirate captain I spoke to earlier, is of course at the bottom of this. Looks like he's already got Ahtbyrm held hostage.

Da? Well that certainly explains things.

I like the shocked catgirl in the back.

Time to kick some piratical rear end!

A lot more pirates show up. C'Nangho will keep me healed through all this and Ghimthota will tank Dread Pirate Dad, so this is a perfect opportunity for Freddie to go ham. More DoTs!

Some Mamool Ja mercs show up as backup, but it's too little, too late. Eight Fingers is going down.

Sorry I killed your dad.

Oh sweet, new gear!

Next time: the Limsa Lominsa storyline is concluded.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 11, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This is what I get for copy-pasting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can't wait to show off what Freddie's going to be wearing at level 45.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I won't be doing an arcanist post this week because I'm still recovering from Fanfest. Unfortunately I can't really talk about it much here without venturing into spoiler territory, but I made a post in the MMO thread if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3726685&perpage=40&pagenumber=1301#post465445921

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

They also make some fishing bait, but yeah, food is basically it. Culinarian is by far the most narrow-focused of the crafters, but everybody wants the food they make, including other crafters and gatherers. Also, all food gives a +3% experience buff, which is nice.

There are other really good reasons to level culinarian, but that won't be for quite a while yet.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

kaosdrachen posted:

Quick Synthesis severely cuts down on the amount of XP earned per craft

I'm pretty certain this isn't true anymore. I know it was when ARR first came out, but I think they changed it in a later patch so that quick synth gave you the same XP as a 0% quality craft. Although it's been over a year since I had any crafter under the level cap, so I could be completely wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nah, the bonus XP is based on the quality bar regardless of whether it comes out HQ or not. Getting a lucky 1% HQ item won't give you any bonus XP.

And durability loss is based on experience, so it's the same amount of loss per synth.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Like my uncle always said, "Fishing's like philanderin' - ye never know what ye'll catch!"

Well, most of the time, it's crabs.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Elentor posted:

Pray return to the Waking Sands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fun fact: you can occasionally find NPC retainers out in the world. They don't actually have any relation to player retainers, but you can find them walking around, mining, fishing, or logging. They'll also have little speech bubbles like other NPCs.

I found this little guy a few months back:

Apparently there's a fisher NPC that will reel in a fish and say "Master Sephirothxxx will be pleased!" That name isn't just a standin, it's actually something ridiculous like that.