Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I am super glad to see this LP back, it died just before you would have been getting people to do dungeons and guildhests with you :v:

Anyway, let's name our character Bart Fargo after the character from Danger! Death Ray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Shaezerus posted:

Let's get technically lore-appropriate.

I would like to second this name/race/everything

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

"The name has to be available on Midgardsormr. This means no Viewing Cutscene, no Anna Banana'chan, and no Prostate Puncher to name a few. If you're unsure, just share it anyway!"

Hopefully, this answers your question

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

That MP limit really, really hurts this early on, especially given how effective Flash is compare to your combo.
You do get an MP restoring combo, but I don't think I ever used it.
No seriously, not even in trials.

And yet, I still see people using nothing but the MP combo when doing the first dungeon :v:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

When you link to the Thanalan theme, you're actually always linking to the night time Ul'Dah theme, which is not used out in Thanalan. :v:

Edit: Also, in the last line of the lp proper, you say "Brass Brade"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Er, I read back, and your earlier post (The guildhest one) also has the wrong thanalan theme.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Fufulupa's adorable so I always liked this cutscene and story arc :v:

A few mistakes in the LP: One, the 'spoilers' have a minor typo, it's missing an 'is'. Two, Umbral Ice doesn't increase ice damage, it just increases MP regeneration, as opposed to Astral Fire which turns off regeneration in return for the fire damage buff. I don't think 'Ice Mage Roleplay' would be such a joke in FFXIV if Umbral Ice also had a damage buff :v:

And uh, I always recall Fufulupa going after Baderon immediately and grabbing aggro, though I'd always start with attacking the Thaumaturge as soon as the fight starts so maybe that changes who he prioritizes, or maybe if you're a gladiator it's different, or maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Dreamy Souffle posted:

Oh, no no, not quite!

See, there was actually a different plotline at the start of 1.0, something Echo something Garleans and it was kind of a mess that ultimately didn't go anywhere. Like, back when they wanted crafting classes to go through the story and not have to worry about fighting with odd workarounds.

The more I hear about this stuff, the more I think Fantasy Life was meant to actually be single player FFXIV. They have all the class swapping, the main story is completely playable as a crafting class, and the music's by Nobuo Uematsu.

Of course, Fantasy Life also has pretty weak combat but good gathering and crafting, which is kinda the reverse from FFXIV.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Okay, it's probably about time to sort the dungeon running out. If you're interested in doing any dungeons in the LP, then drop me a message with your character name or share it in the thread. You can also probably just message me on Twitter too. Make sure to share your availability as well!

Regarding play times, I'm based in the UK which is in the GMT+01 timezone right now. Generally, I'd find it easier to play on a very late Saturday or a Sunday until like 11pm in my time, but I'll try to fit you in if you'd prefer a different time. Thursdays are typically good as well too. If I can get a fix on when most of you are available, I'll probably start with the most common time and slowly try to get at least a run with everyone at some point.

As an additional note, let me know if you want to add any commentary to the runs that we do together. Anyone interested in doing that is more than welcome to.

I'll likely run the first dungeon ahead of the goon runs so that I can make sure the format I have in mind works. I think it'd be helpful for you all to know how it'll be presented. Feedback will be especially appreciated on the dungeon runs, but I do want to remind everyone that I openly welcome feedback on the LP as a whole too. It's my first time, so I wanna make sure it's good!

e: New update on the last page.

Are you going to do it like you planned originally, where you set your language to german in the duty finder so anyone on the same... uh... supershard... whatever the big server is called can play, or are you making it just for people on midgardsormr now?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

That wasn't Sisipu saying weird things there, that was the guildmaster's first words to us (outside of when you talked to him), as you can tell by the text box saying "???" instead of, well, "Sisipu"

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Because Linkpearls are actually used in game as well. You can set up a link pearl and use it like a chatroom, up to about 4 or 5 of them at once.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Join the Flames because Ul'dah is your home, dang it!

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

There are five locations total, guarded by Kedtraps and a variation of Ochu. This can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but they actually aggro on sound. We can avoid fighting with them by walking past them. Conversely, running around will likely draw attention, even if they're facing away. Simple stuff.

AUGH NO WAY. I hated kedtraps so much running between here and Quarrymill, and had no idea that you could just walk to not get aggroed...

In fact, I had no idea 'aggro by sound' was something they brought over from FFXI, I thought everything aggroed by sight now!

... Was aggro by spellcasting brought over from FFXI too?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I've had a jarring instance of a Wildwood Elezen complaining about how I could never understand the culture of his great race or something like that.

My character is a Wildwood Elezen.

Well yeah but you weren't ~raised in Gridania~ or whatever. Gridania seriously is just the grassier version of San d'Oria, when you come down to it.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

They sell gil for real money, which is against the terms of service since it causes huge inflation in the game economy when left unchecked.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

For the active players, was anyone else lucky in grabbing a place? I was online on the dot and still failed to grab the one I was after for the FC, but our backup is actually a lot better than I realised. I hope some others had similar or better luck!

I got Plot 30 in one of the wards, so I'm happy, got my secret hot springs!

... it was extremely stressful rushing over there before someone else got it though.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I feel like the story of Haukke Manor, at least as told by the butler we just met, is probably based on Elizabeth Báthory who similarly tortured and killed women she hired to work as maids, popularly suspected to be as part of rituals to stay youthful.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

The best lalafell is Fufulupa, he is kind and my friend. :colbert:

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

I'm fairly certain that the bonus you get for entering a zone for the first time is equal to the full-map completion bonus you used to get, not counting the individual area bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

It is just the damage output being a lot higher, if you purposefully fight her slower she will do the extra mistral songs. (Or if you have 'minimum item level' checked in the duty finder)