Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
To be more precise, the bubbles become active when the boss hits certain HP thresholds (I don't know the exact numbers, but probably something like 75%/50%/25%, with more bubbles the lower his HP). The trick is that if you hit another threshold in the time before the adds spawn, it'll produce new bubbles... which completely overwrite the old ones, cancelling their add spawns. If your DPS is high enough (which isn't hard), you'll get him down to about 10% without ever seeing adds, and an LB will finish him off before they become a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Food is pretty much all Culinarian makes, yeah. They're 30 minute buffs, although that can be extended by certain means. Having decent food is pretty much mandatory in high-end raiding and crafting.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

I feel like that name was longer when ventures were first introduced, like xXxSephiroth42xXx. They must have changed it because people commented that it didn't fit into the first name character limit.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
The term "tempering" is technically specific to Ifrit, as you might guess from the association with fire; other primals either use different terms or don't really bother with the conversion thing. It's the most prominent example, though, so the playerbase tends to use it for all primals.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Gloomy Rube posted:

... Was aggro by spellcasting brought over from FFXI too?

Only if you hit something with it. :v:

Someone did once tell me that elementals aggro by spellcasting, but I think they must have been thinking of FFXI or FFXII (or maybe 1.0?). I've never seen anything react to spellcasting in ARR.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Minor correction: you can auto-attack whilst turned around without triggering gaze attacks. It looks a bit silly punching empty air but it works. The thing you can't do is cast any single target skills, which turns you around. Got me in raids many times :v:

Yeah, this is correct. The thing that turning around used to work for and doesn't any more is "don't act"-type statuses like Pyretic - autoattacks will still trigger the consequence for acting.

CrashScreen posted:

Haukke Manor is in Central Shroud, but it's in the far west region. It's not hard to get to, but it's a little bit more out of the way than normal. Fortunately, there's a shortcut. Tyoh Moui has a quest for us in which they give us a pass for White Wolf Gate.

At the western edge of New Gridania is the gate. We'll need to talk to Franchemontiaux to travel through it from now on, but at least it's there.

You can actually go to outside this gate via aethernet once you've both activated all the Gridanian aethernet crystals and unlocked this gate.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

CrashScreen posted:

Be incredibly careful with the timing for when you crack your party from their gaol egg. He didn't do it this time, but it's possible for Titan to target the gaoled party member with a Landside. Breaking them free before the Landslide finishes will usually knock them off.

Small correction, I'm pretty sure Titan will never target the gaoled party member. He definitely has no qualms targeting the melee DPS right next to them trying to break them out, though.

It'd be nice to see this sort of run-down of the hardest versions of the primals, some of them are pretty brutal if you aren't overgeared enough to skip their mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I believe that changed with the Heavensward release, although they didn't do the same with HW maps when Stormblood came out for some reason (maybe because they want to encourage you to explore the zones once you get more mobility in them). You do still get XP when entering a zone and revealing its map, but I'm not sure if it's just the whole-map bonus or if it includes the XP you used to get for each smaller area revealed.