Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea how I missed this for so long.

Needs more crafting, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fishing is a pretty chill activity.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pray return to the Waking Sands.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never ever thought of Minfilia as anything remotely close to the definition of "friend" to my character.

Her relation to you is more akin to a boss who takes credit for your work.

Edit: Even Square jokes about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuELXU0OEs4

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 8, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schwartzcough posted:

Why do MMOs have such high level requirements. In pretty much every other Final Fantasy you're going through the final dungeon by the time you're level 50.

The number itself is symbolic, it could have been 50, 100 or 30. MMOs are tuned for played time. Levels in themepark Everquest clones are even more symbolic. They're not like levels in an MMO like Ragnarok Online where you have to grind infinitely and only 1% of the population ever maxes out.

Everything is on rails and you level up naturally as you do the content, more or less like in every other Final Fantasy. The bulk of the game is made for max level players. You're expected to reach max level within a reasonable time frame. That time frame can be a few hours (WoW allows you to do that if you have the means)/a few days/a few weeks/a few months depending on how much time you play.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah if you sidetrack it can take forever to finish the game since this is one huge, huge game. Like I said, it depends on your schedule. All I'm saying is that max level in FFXIV isn't "high level" it is just the status quo of where you're expected to be. Which is not the case of being max level in a single player Final Fantasy game.

This is especially true for FFXIV even more so than other MMOs because you can play it like a single player campaign and the whole thing just keeps going on forever and ever long after you defeat the final boss from the baseline campaign at level 50. This is one big game.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think for some on and off patches crafted accessory (rings in particular) was equivalent to high-end raiding gear, but they require way, way more gil invested into their melding than I imagine the average player has.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Theres no purer art than mmo economy spreadsheets.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When that track dropped for the first time I was like "oh yeah this is a good game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Re: Music, I think the entire sequence with Shiva, from the intro cutscene to the phase 1 music to the transition to the phase 2 music is probably the coolest boss fight presentation I had ever seen until then and the only way I could describe it is "this poo poo loving owns".