Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I genuinely love this game, but my first experience was on Project 64, which does not share my opinion of it. And the 3DS version of it blew me out of the water. I'm so glad I'm getting in on the ground floor this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't stand the N64 or GameCube controllers. Way too many buttons. Hell, it took me like a month after getting Super Mario 64 to realize there was a Z button.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember not long after Ocarina came out, a website found "beta" pics from that game and posted it. The one that stuck out the most was Tingle and the clock at the bottom of the screen. I can't remember any others, but now I assume they were all just pics from this game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Let's Help ChaosArgate Get His poo poo Together and Play Majora's Mask

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 7, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Aithon posted:

Well, in every Zelda game you start with tree hearts...

I know it's a joke but it made me think of something I genuinely don't like about this game.

52 heart pieces is way too many. This exact Link has already had an adventure and in the interest of sanity, they should have started him with something six, like in Skyward Sword.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When you know what to do in the intro it seems like time drags on. It's definitely a low point. But it's cool to see this part through fresh eyes. Nintendo did a great job at making you feel disoriented and lost. They give you a tiny bit of control as normal Link and just as you're starting to think this is gonna be a standard adventure with Link, BAM! you're a Deku Scrub. Then you get tossed into a completely different world with different rules, with a twirl as your only defense against any threats and to top it off, you've got a time limit. It really gives you a taste of what Link is going through.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's that ingrained "poo poo poo poo poo poo there's a time limit poo poo poo poo poo poo gotta go fast balls balls balls hurry up you short legged elf" habit that this game does a great job of breaking.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And the time limit has officially started. It's a fantastic mechanic. Honestly, while I hate timed events, the only games I've ever played that had time limits as the core mechanic I absolutely loved. So I guess that would be this and Dragon Quarter.

So Fae, you're ahead of this right? I know your gameplay style, at least in these games, is a little hesitant at times. How are you adjusting to having a set amount of time?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Artix posted:

More importantly, the time limit is at worst a cap on how long you can spend inside a dungeon or whatever in one sitting.

That's what I was curious about, to be honest. I always play until right before I can walk into the dungeon, play the song, and THEN enter just to be on the safe side. Even though I have the OOT dungeons pretty much ingrained in my memory, these never stuck.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's great that you can stock up on Rupees immediately after turning back time. It's really not too hard to get that 5000 Rupee goal, but it's kinda time consuming. Money isn't really an issue this time around.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
IT could be milk with Kahlua in it, which is one of my favorite treats.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Tingle is a pain in the rear end in every incarnation except in Oracle of Ages (Seasons?)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. In the end it's her LP and I like her style. It's like watching friends play videogames which is something I enjoy doing. Only difference is they're not my friends and I can't pipe in with my even worse jokes. I was never a big fan of video LP's until this Fae, gnome, FP, Artix, and their whole group started doing them, actually (although I enjoyed Artix's Fire Emblem LP's immensely and I think I even won a contest in one of them)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oooooooh I forgot about Rule of Rose. Where's my PS2?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere that has the player doing all the quests and getting the good results on the last cycle

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That there's a final cycle? It's kinda implied by the fact that the game ends

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You can kill it. At least, in the 3DS version. Not sure about this one

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love that about this game. Kafei is a late game sidequest technically but you can do most of it just hanging around town at the beginning. This game really straddles the line between linear and non-linear really well

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The next video will consist of Fae giving every NPC a fairy in a bottle, unlocking the secret ending no one else has discovered that consists of Skull Kid just saying "Well...crap"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really love this section with Koume and Kotake. It throws you off guard. It's the moment when it hits that you can expect nothing the game will throw at you.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Chaltab posted:

I have to think there's some sort of memory weirdness going on with the Deku transformation, like Glory in Buffy or something.

Is everybody here very stoned?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I hate Honey and Darling as characters simply because I hate people like that, but I'm with Fae. I really enjoyed the games.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I wonder just how many heart containers you can have before going to the first level, short of glitching

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Artix posted:

I believe it's 7, but I know for a fact you can have at least 6 before you even start Woodfall.

I asked that before watching the video. Sorry.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So I'm not sure who made this but I've had it playing on loop while cleaning my apartment so you guys enjoy

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The turtles are one of those enemies that make Majora's Mask feel less like a hack of Ocarina of Time. They were definitely a pain in the rear end for me the first time I ran into them too. I think they actually killed me. I hated being in Deku Link form so I ran around as Hylian Link and that's not the way to do it. Divebombing from below (flybombing?) never occurred to me. Like Fae, I also thought it was to dodge an attack and I didn't see the point when you had a shield.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
God that room with the Boes still makes me nervous. I'm not scared of the dark by any means, but that room is very well done and very atmospheric.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't remember what game it is for the life of me, but I'm 95% positive I played a game where you can use a prosthetic arm as a weapon

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

whitehelm posted:

In the Medievil games you're playing as a skeleton and your default weapon is your pulled-off arm.

That's the one! Thanks!

Man I haven't thought about those games in ages

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That's what videogames are all about...hating your past self

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I really don't like Odolwa as a first boss fight. There's far too much going on, and that's very un-Zelda like, especially for the first boss of the game.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Artix posted:

Nah, I definitely think it would be a lesser game without dungeons at all. Thematically, sure, they're just kinda there, but I love the actual dungeons and puzzles so much. We'll get to talk a bit about it after the next one, but I'm gonna write up a big post once we've done them all because I love the philosophy behind their design. The last one in particular is probably my favorite Zelda dungeon ever.

I would 100% agree with you if it weren't for the Stray Fairies gimmick. I would have preferred some kind of optional hard puzzle or finding some kind of really well hidden item for the Great Fairies. With the form changing gimmick and all the puzzles, the Great Fairy Mask is just something else that takes up a much needed C-slot. If the prizes weren't so useful (except the first one, as someone mentioned a while back), I'd completely ignore them.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It also makes the frog chorus in Ocarina much easier since the frogs line up to the 3DS buttons

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
When I used the Lens of Truth on Project 64, it gave me intense lag, but only on Majora's Mask. Ocarina was fine. I would have preferred yours. At least you could have savestated your way to what you needed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Anyone who says they haven't done laps outside of Clock Town as a Goron is a goddamn liar

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
This game made me hate the Gorons. Horrible noises are one of the few things that will actually piss me off to the point where I will lose my temper. Crying babies and snoring are the big offenders.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Maybe the Gorons are like Gems. They pop out after injecting the land with stuff.

We...are the Goron Race
We'll always roll away
And if you think we can't
We wil punch out a way
That's why the people of Termina
Believe in...
Elder
Darmani
And Link
And baby!

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 22, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love mazes to the point where they are one of the few things that can hold my full attention. My family once flew to the Virgin Islands and my mom got me a book about mazes for me to read on it. It had history and tons of interesting ones to do. Apparently I didn't look up once and completely ignored the flight attendant when she offered me food and drink.

EDIT: Also every time I hear Fae yell "door" I think of Lisa Miller in the space episode of News Radio closing the automatic door because it won't listen to Dave.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 25, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's always so satisfying when a game lets you kill things with shockwaves. You have the power, now.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Snowhead is probably my favorite dungeon. Being a Goron is fun, for starters. The gimmick is interesting without being tedious and there's no particularly overwhelming fights or annoying sections. My only issue with it is I can never remember how to get to one of the Stray Fairies.