Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The VC experience is not at all a game of spooky scary skellingtons since Grave Guard are absolutely amazing. And since you start with the goldmine in Drakenhoff, money is hardly an issue as VCs.

I don't know why we can't get skellington archers tho :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Skull-a-pults will be great fun, so at least I'm excited to see some skellington armies in the future throw stuff at people.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is no-one asking about the gently caress-tarded "always juuuuuust out of your movement range" behavior for enemies?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

When a Lord gets a skill that gives them +Leadership, that doesn't bleed into the leadership bonus from their aura right?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rakthar posted:

Why are all your agents blind, retarded, and crippled? See above.

I like how some of the traits are reasonable under the circumstances, like the "stupid" characters get a charge bonus and blind people have higher attack because, presumably, they're flailing wildly.

But ain't nothing gonna top the king of all traits: BLOOD FEUD

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kitchner posted:

Loads of infantry, spread out across the front of the wall. Build battering rams and send some dude to bash in both gates as then they need to take units off the wall to defend the gates.

If they have a garrison you should be able to beat them like this as what you want to do is stretch out their army along the wall using superior numbers. Then when you see where the weakest point is, throw a couple of extra units there and your Lord to help "win" that section of the wall. Then roll down the wall using your now free troops.

If there's a huge garrison or a garrison and an army, you may need two stacks. The tactics are the same it's just you'll need more dudes.

Actually, sorry, the best method to taking a city is to put all your crossbowmen/quarrelers/etc in a massive clump just to the left/right of a tower's range in front of the walls (or in front of a destroyed tower) and send your Lord up the wall. The AI will flip their poo poo and send infantry blobs and archer blobs after him while he's standing on the walls and your archers can gun them down as they get near.. By the time your archers run out of ammo, you send in the swordsmen to mop up the remainder (provided you haven't already won). This method doesn't work for Chaos/VC, obviously, but for them you should just autoresolve city maps anyways. You'll usually win with like.. 10 casualties.

It's dangerously cheesy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wafflecopper posted:

It was a while ago that I played this campaign so I'm a little hazy on the details. I do remember Brettonia attacking me a couple of times and losing stacks doing so, and I may have sacked or razed one of their settlements at some point to get them to gently caress off, but I don't think they had too hard a time with the local minors - they control the rest of northern Brettonia at this point. I don't think Ostland took the settlements directly from Bretonnia though, as I recall it was one of the minors, probably Parravon.

Hahaha that's outstanding. I remember one time I was playing as Empire and went south to gently caress up Brettonia and get green wit it. Along the way I got hit up for a trade agreement by Averheim, and they had cleared out and occupied all the vampire counts' territory except for Essen by like turn 50. Thank youuuuu.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think the campaign map is pretty dope. Sure, at a point you have infinite resources because you're too big to fail and can muster a top-tier army in 2 turns, no questions asked.

Also: Achievements. What is a "militia" unit for the "the Meek shall inherit the earth" achievement? I have a full stack of swords/men/halberdiers/crossbowmen that Franz has been leading since turn 1.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I can safely say that when I deign to bring my high level warrior priests into the melee, they realllllly gently caress poo poo up. It's almost cruel, the way they homerun dudes left and right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The best way to get the 10-1 battle odds cheevo is to catch an army that you just beat, and disband everyone but your steam tanks/heroes/lord then smash em again.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

To be fair, that setup seems like it would be really, really hard to beat.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think that would be the best way of doing it, since it motivates a person to try out the new content in a new scenario, and also improve and upgrade the grand campaign. As it stands the grand campaign is very good and fun but it kind of peters out because there's just not that many people to fight after the first hump.

I kind of wish you could change settings to create a specific chain of events.

For example, a game where there's no chaos rising/end times and they're instead replaced by the Greenskins who appear around the same time from the South. Varg/Skaeling still do raids and stuff but they don't get Archaon.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Franz-on-foot is just really fun in the campaign as well when it's a big melee vs melee fight. He's just very, very good at fighting and putting him on Deathclaw makes him infinitely better for sure but Franz-on-foot just seems cooler, since he never actually attacks with his hammer while on Deathclaw. Just a normal-rear end dude slinging normal-rear end dudes into the stratosphere.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Not sure where you're going with this since Chaos can't occupy cities. And given how averse most of the AI factions seem to be in regards to resettling ruins I'd think 100 turns is optimistic.

The problem gets even worse when you realize how specific grudges can get. I had a rebellion in one of my provinces which spawned a grudge (put down the rebellion), I didn't get there in time and the rebel orcs took a minor hold. This in turn spawned another grudge (retake the lost hold), and when I did only the second grudge was resolved. The initial rebellion grudge was unfinishable, and as such actually winning the game was made impossible.

The Grudgebook is seriously hosed bad and I'm kinda shocked the game shipped with it being the state that it's in.

Yeah it doesn't work as well as it should, considering if an Empire quest becomes uncompletable (for example by having the Greenskins wiped out) you can just pay some gold and get quest completion. Honestly, that should be how the grudges thing works: if it's uncompletable just let us buy our way out of it. Call it "settling the debts" or something, I don't know.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kaza42 posted:

Remember a few pages back how a few people were talking about how it would be cool to be able to play an adventuring party? Just a Lord and heroes and nothing else in the campaign. Well, I went and made a mod (Just for Empire for now) that unlocks all heroes factionwide and sets the cap to 50 (also reduces the cost a little bit to make it more feasible). So go ahead and check it out here! I haven't tried it on a full campaign yet, so I don't know how viable it is long term, but it works early game pretty well

Man this would be great except that when you're fighting big-rear end gently caress off armies, your dudes start taking morale hits and also that all the other Empire factions are joining in on stacking heroes.

If it were possible to just make it player-only, this would be great. Franz and 19 of his best friends standing before the Chaos hordes and just swing away until the corruption stops. Man.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Total War forums posted:

Given the fantastic response to the first game, our plans for the content of the second game have changed and expanded significantly.

Apparently CA is planning to release a lot more content for TW:W than originally planned because the game did so well?

By the way can someone clarify what they mean by "the trilogy" do they mean there's going to be a Total Warhammer, Total Warhammer 2, Total Warhammer 3 or are they saying the trilogy will be Total Warhammer, Total Warhammer (expansion 1), and Total Warhammer (expansion 2) a la Starcraft 2?

I feel like it's the latter, but each of the expansions will be standalone.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What unit are VCs getting? SKELLINGTON ARCHERS!?!?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Panfilo posted:

Vampire counts are my favorite punching bags because their local terrain works so hilariously against them unless they took a lot of flyers . As Dwarves/Empire you can spam ranged and artillery and force the bulk of their army to start crumbling before they even reach your lines .

I've only been able to use them to some level of success in a scenario when my swordsmen are already beating the other melee soldiers. One time a group of arrer boys just outshot my grenade launchers without any question of morale. They should either do more morale breaking or more damage since they're essentially useless. Especially with the costs.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just default to orks anyways.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

rockopete posted:

Orc sounds Tolkien, Ork is unmistakably GW green hooligans. They should have just called them Orks all round, there's one piece of that AoS-inducing copyright paranoia solved.

Report: VC on VH are slow to expand but loving own. 4 units Crypt Horrors led by my Varghulf as "Fluffy and the Bone Boys" supported by a line of Grave Guard and one of each hero, haven't yet met a Chaos or Varg stack I can't smash. I've grabbed north of me from ruins left by Chaos, so I'm 'shouldering' part of the Chaos advance, and everyone loves me for it. For now... :twisted:

e:
Fluffy and his crew

I've always wanted to be mega-bros with the vampires as Empire but they're way too arrogant to let it happen. One time I managed to be friends with them but everyone else hated me and some declared war. After a single particularly egregious loss, the vampires backstabbed me because my power ranking dropped low and their opportunistic thing triggered a desire to attack some two-bit town near Averland. After stomping the poo poo out of the vampires, everyone loved me again and I just don't think you're supposed to be friends with the Vampires.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Man I tried out legendary and the difficulty seemed spot on but every single action has the game save which just bogs down everything. 2s skips left and right.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

4th Horseman posted:

The thunk when a cannonball strikes a Pegasus mid air is incredibly satisfying.

Otherwise known as "a dwarven delight."

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

How do you guys play on legendary? It's super annoying how skippy it is, autosaving after every action.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TheChad posted:

I just play on VH cause gently caress that, I tend not to reload anyways.

Same. The only issue with VH Empire is that Skaeling/Varg gets retard strong if they're not getting constantly razed and sacked all along the coast. I've never been able to play a game as Empire without having a full stack or two running around razing their coastal cities to prevent doomstacks of full-gold dudes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Are those bonuses just in Karl's leadership range or are they map wide?

They're battle-wide. So if Karl is off punking some necromancer in the corner of the map, his troops still get the bonus. Also if you bring more than one general (like by having one reinforce), the bonuses don't stack.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kitchner posted:

No more so than literally every total war game prior to this. I mean off the top of my head you have:

* [Region] Men-at-arms and archers
* Westerlands/Reach/Stormlands/Crownlands/Riverlands knights
* Northern Cavalry
* Knights of the Vale
* Cranockmen (bog men)
* Dornish spearmint and archers
* Second Sons infantry/archers/cavalry
* Golden Company infantry/archers/cavalry
* Unsullied Spearmen
* Various other sellsword things
* Dothraki Screamers
* Wildlings
* Giants
* Nightswatch infantry/archers
* Dragons
* Various siege engines including wildfire catapults
* White Walkers
* White walker zombies

Weirdly i think if you set the game around a couple of key parts of the history it actually makes perfect sense.

Firstly there is aegons invasion. I think he invades with 3 Dragons and like 5,000 men and bitch slaps the poo poo out of everyone while massively outnumbered due to his Dragons.

Then there's Roberts Rebellion. Everything goes to poo poo and it's Norh/River lands/vale/stormlands vs Crownlands/The Reach/Dorne.

Then you have the war of Five Kings which is what the books is and it all goes to poo poo then too.

I mean it's not really any worse than "Romans with spears, Greeks with spears, Romans on horses, iberians on horses" etc. It's one of the reasons this is my favourite total war, there's a lot of diversity and you can't just use the same tactic vs every enemy on the map because they are all varying of "dude with weapon"

Eh, it'd probably be better as a mod. TW:W isn't just a licensing reskin, it's actually a big undertaking for CA because it adds in magic, dragons, monsters, etc. GoT is just another version of the same poo poo as TW:W, with unit reskins and a different map. It would be viewed as a cash-in if they went through with it.

However, a warmachine/40k would be a good idea and more likely, because it allows them to add in cooler poo poo like drop pods (but it's basically just a spell that impacts and then summons units, not unlike the raise dead spell)/tellyportaz and way different units like assault marines with they're cool jumps, orbital bombardments, gargantz, etc.

I don't know, warhammer and 40k (being themselves a derivative work) is open-ended enough they don't need to dip into other IPs. Instead, if they just make a base game with big units/armies, flying units, and magic, someone can mod in a bunch of cool poo poo for other settings. At the end of the day, yeah GoT has different types of mounted units ad different types of units with spears and dragons, but at this point that's old hat. At least prior to TW:W, they were focusing on the historical aspect a lot more than the "cool poo poo" aspect. Now it seems they've finally switched. Shogun 2 only had like 6 substantially unique units, they were otherwise essentially just unit model swaps of spearmen/archers/riflemen/swordsmen/cavalry/artillery.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

unwantedplatypus posted:

Soo, looks like the empire start is about to get significantly more difficult

Good. I just tried out Legendary as Empire and had zero trouble taking care of Altdorf and securing alliances with neighbors so I could go south. About halfway through, all the brettonian places declared war but I was way strong enough to handle that nonsense. I hope Empire has more enemies, being surrounded by friendly dwarfs, Brettonians, and empire provinces means you can just bribe your neighbors and you have an effective buffer so you can pick and choose your enemies. Compared to any other start, Empire has an easy go of it provided you're smart enough to get Marienburg.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Protip as VCs defending a siege battle, put your zombies and poo poo tier units outside of the walls so your wall towers can mince the poo poo out of enemies, and use your cavalry and fast troops as bait to have the enemy chasing after them most of the time. The longer you can force the enemy to stay outside of your walls, the closer you'll be to victory because your units are poo poo but towers are very good. This is especially vital if you're just using the normal garrison since the normal garrison is a lovely assortment of poo poo units.

E: followup, if you're defending as a race that has access to a cannon (not mortar/treb/catapult), put the cannon a little bit back from the gate but facing right at it. Then have two poo poo-tier units flanking the gate so that the cannons can fire right into the gate. The enemies will get stuck fighting the lovely units and your cannons can just blast away right into the thickest concentrations of units and not hit your own. If you aim yourself it's even better.

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 18, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mannfred is a punk rear end bitch. He was at strength rank 1 and ran a full stack against a level 2 garrison in Grunberg. He lost the auto resolve and I had like 80% remaining.

Then he was at strength rank 20. I don't even know what dumb mathematics were used but VCs are always inexplicably high af in the rankings and also the weakest dudes by far. Once I disabled the aggressive agents mod, they went from most annoying to the cutest "evil" faction.

420 Gank Mid posted:

Overall I like the new map scope as the attacker, forcing you to rush for the walls instead of sitting back until your artillery runs out of ammo with all your units safely out of reach. But there are some things I miss about the way older games did sieges. It feels like sallying out to defend outside the walls isnt really a thing that happens anymore either.

Siege walls own bones, but sallying out is a really really good tactic generally. If the unit count is in your enemy's favor a little bit, you can put a unit or two of your hardiest troops (or heroes/lords) in front of your towers and put your ranged units on the walls behind them and have them fight to the death. They'll take out a sizable chunk of dudes with them, and then they have to contend with the rest of your troops the normal way. Mix in cavalry tactics and you're good to go.

The thing is, the towers in siege battles are just SO good that the whole "rush the walls" tactic is crucial, but when defending you can really gently caress with the AI into letting the towers do all the heavy lifting for you.

jokes fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 24, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kainser posted:

The AI vampire counts really loves filling their armies with garbage units. I guess it's because of them tending to raise dead (which is mostly skeletons and zombies) instead of training new units.

I don't really mind though since it's a lot of fun fighting hordes of garbage melee units.

I love fighting garbage tier skellingtons and zombies as Empire because they're slightly worse than my basic infantry and have huge numbers. I love big battles.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I hope that Empire gets a bunch of DLCs that make it progressively harder and harder to play, since that makes the most thematic sense.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The most important magic change from this patch is the major buff to vortex spells and the fact that an overcast Golden Hounds of Gehenna can bring a unit of swords from 100% to 20% startlingly quick. Try it out in a custom fight, it's nutso.

Amber >>> Celestial > Bright > Light for Empire. Amber is much much better than the others. The manticore is great, the magic missile makes dudes explode and does massive damage, the crow spell does some heavy damage under the right circumstances and doesn't hit your dudes, and the buffs are all pretty alright.

Overall, I'd say that magic is pretty good but should be just a little bit better, and bright wizards should be able to spit out much more damage than they are. Golden Hounds is far and away the best vortex spell, though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Beastmen own bones for sure, but I just lost a bullshit fight because, despite being outnumbered 2.5:1 I still beat all their melee dudes, cavalry including demigryphs, and heroes. The things that survived were loving outriders and pistoleers and I had no way to handle that poo poo with the remnants of my infantry and slowly, slowly, slowly died to skirmish fire. It was incredibly annoying.

Whatever, I gleefully razed the rest of the world. Was something supposed to happen in Eye for an Eye? I razed every single city and killed the poo poo out of Todbringer, but I didn't get the completion achievement?

Thanqol posted:

Defensive siege battles as empire vs chaos - how do people play it?

I figured it'd be pretty easy at first, I could just stick all my handgunners on the walls and then rotate them out for melee units when the towers closed in, but the chaos infantry just beasts empire infantry and there doesn't seem to be a good angle to place my handgunners or artillery to keep contributing after the lines lock. How do people play this one out?

Empire siege defense is pretty fun. First things first, put your cavalry outside the gates and have them run around in front of towers and ranged units. Once they're routed or killed, the real siege battle begins.

Swordsmen are primo wall defenders. When a unit uses a ladder it takes a lot of vigor so more often than not they'll come up the ladder with a lot of vigor loss, and your swordsmen will beat any other standard melee unit one-on-one on the walls because of this. Since towers will weaken them a little bit as well, they'll hold the line easily. If you can manage to create a situation in which your swordsmen are all on one side of the enemy, you can put a crossbowmen unit on the floor to shoot up on the wall into the enemy's meaty flanks.

You should always have some ranged units be placed facing outward above the gates, with another ranged unit facing inward on top of the gate. They can't ladder up where the gate is, so a single unit of crossbowmen facing outward on top of your gate pretty much always goes untouched. Your spearmen/halberdier should be placed in a V formation (or a bucket formation if you have enough dudes) so that the enemies can come in through the gate, but then get halted by the spearmen, and the crossbowmen can fire down onto the enemies as they pour in while the enemy fights your spearmen.

Generally: swordsmen are for defending walls, spearmen are for holding the gate area/trap because they're not that great on the walls and sometimes lose to basic infantry on the walls despite the vigor advantage. Crossbowmen should just bail the second a melee unit touches them, and cavalry are useless as anything but bait to have the AI get murdered by your ranged units and towers chasing after a unit of pistoleers.

jokes fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 3, 2016

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Xeremides posted:

I'm literally the only anything left on the map, but because I didn't raid enough money beforehand and only confederated with one tribe, absolutely nothing happened, and I can't complete the campaign. Good times.

Oh boy so I'm supposed to redo it but confederate with nonsense tribes that I immediately disband anyways? UgghhhHHH

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does anyone have the achievement for beating a CA employee? If so, could you PM me so I can stomp "beat" you and get it?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Has anyone else noticed that Reiksguard cavalry are like, really, really slow? They have a speed of 66 and I think I'm only noticing how prohibitively slow they are now after playing Beastmen, but a lot of infantry can almost outrun them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

madmac posted:

Heavy Cav in general are pretty slow, especially when tired. It's an intentional design decision. Light Cav is a lot faster at the expense of charge impact and durability.

I wish I had never played beastmen, I've been spoiled by their go fastitude.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'll be real, I've beat chaos on very hard and never used a dragon ogre because I don't even know what role they're supposed to fill and they look dumb. Anti-cavalry (and anti-large), for me, is just cavalry or halberdier chosen. Anti-infantry is sword and shield chosen, or lance cavalry. Anti-range is lance cavalry or maybe dogs. Between those roles, I pepper in a hellcannon if I give a poo poo and maybe a giant or two, and I only lose if I'm grossly outnumbered, which is often because of horde infighting :rolleyes:.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mans posted:

halberdiers get armor piercing and anti large in one weapon and their main weakness is ranged units which aren't a threat when fighting chaos so yeah

Well they love their loving marauder horsemen, so ranged isn't a major threat, at least. Just bring some handgunners/crossbowmen to gently caress up ranged cavalry.

I wish Empire got some good rear end ranged units. The outriders are arguably worse than handgunners because their unit size is smaller, but they are more mobile so really they're a sidegrade I guess. Pistolers are dogshit, and outriders (grenades) are so hard to use and get, that you rarely get to actually see them in action.

At least they have the best artillery choices, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm a big fan of vampire armies just straight turning into dust when you stomp them. Better than the rundown of a bunch of crossbowmen, etc.

• Locked thread