Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
Now I'm on the hook for rewriting a bunch of content if I want to keep my contracts. The relationship is over with. poo poo. :argh:

Has anyone had to handle this before? Giving them a second chance seems like a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
im plagiarizing other first posts when i say

FIRST

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
could you potentially outsource it to someone you trust or at least someone you hope isnt a plagiarist?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Yo, don't re-hire the plagiarist. That dude burnt this bridge, not you, and he's already demonstrated that he's totally untrustworthy not only as a business partner, but as a friend. Friends don't put other friends' livelihoods at risk like that! Apologize to your clients, explain the situation if you haven't already, and get on that re-write train. Make sure you vet any future partners more thoroughly. The good thing is it sounds like your clients haven't also dumped you, too. I'm sorry this happened to you, it's some awful bullshit.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx
ty for the advice

Bottom line is that I didn't lose any customers over this big dumb mess, but it made me look like a giant idiot. Of the 22 pieces of content that they submitted, 20 of them had outright plagiarism. It wasn't subtle, it was all copy and paste stuff, and in some cases it made up the bulk of the work. I spent the week rewriting all of that content forcing me to juggle my workload in order to keep everyone happy. It was stressful and Bad.

10 seconds with copyscape would have saved me a whole lot of work, but I was too trusting. Sometimes it's awkward to check your partners work but you should do it anyway without telling them. I think the worst case happened because it was the customer who caught the mistake.

There is zero chance of me working with the writer again, even if I wanted to the scope of the damage was just way too bad.

It was really only honest and open communication with the client that kept this from being an absolute gigantic turd of a professional failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Defiance posted:

10 seconds with copyscape would have saved me a whole lot of work, but I was too trusting. Sometimes it's awkward to check your partners work but you should do it anyway without telling them. I think the worst case happened because it was the customer who caught the mistake.

gently caress that. Tell them. Something like 90% of partnerships all fail... I feel like a way to avoid that is 100% transparency. All of my businesses that I have a partner with we share all access to everything; bank accounts, whatever. We check and balance each other, and we're 100% transparent and honest about it, and I think that may be the only way to give your partnership a fair chance at success. If you're worried about how it looks to check copy just say that there are only so many combinations of words, you might've accidentally written something brilliant that had already been written/copyrighted... Safe is always better than sorry.

• Locked thread