Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

A lot of the songs in the default FO4 radio are actually about loving not nuclear war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

A lot of the songs in the default FO4 radio are actually about loving not nuclear war.

Everytime I listened it seemed to be about both. Maybe there are more songs that are just about loving and not also making puns about atomic apocalypse but hey it seems to be a prevailing theme.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been using Delta Wasteland Radio lately. It's a bunch of blues and jazz songs, and feels particularly fitting for exploring Far Harbor. The DJ is a robot/AI who occasionally says things (sometimes even slightly humorous things), and you can skip tracks by turning the radio off and on again, which is a pretty handy feature. It even includes Leadbelly's "When I Was A Cowboy" for a hint of New Vegas! :v: There's enough variety that you won't hear a bunch of songs that have the same/very similar melodies but with different lyrics. There are a few of those because it's a blues station, of course, but it's not like listening to a Robert Johnson album where the music is almost identical for every song. There's an extra track pack available, to give it even more variety. Also, many of the songs are about loving.

I definitely recommend if you're a fan of old blues and jazz.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
I went with multiple blues/old radio show stations, for the most part, but did go to the trouble of fixing the file structure to get Minutemen Dem Radio going. About as anachronistic as I was willing to go. ("HEY HERE IS ALL_RUSSIAN HARDBASS 24/7 FOR FALLOUT!" I wouldn't even jam that into STALKER.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Has anyone tried this new UI mod yet? I like what I see from the screenshots.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48758

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has anyone tried this new UI mod yet? I like what I see from the screenshots.
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/48758

Thanks, I'm giving it a go.

Getting back into the game with Sim Settlements 2, and I'm finding an old mod doesn't work so well anymore. Has anyone used/is anyone using the Power Armor Storage system? (effectively, clip a minigun onto your power armor) Apparently it broke with an update sometime back in 2019?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

flightless greeb posted:

I've been playing a sim settlements 2 game up to like level 63 or something now and have hit a few serious bugs I had to stop and look up online (I've hit about the same number that were inherent to FO4 itself too) nothing super frustrating like CTDs but stuff like getting stuck in weird dialogue mode, unable to locate quest items or quest givers etc. Only one of them so far was actually unsolvable and was apparently just fixed in the patch that came out on Friday.

I never played SS1 or horizon or conquerors (I don't even know what they are!) so I'm not missing any functionality tho, but if you're like me I'd say SS2 works well enough to recommend. I'm super impressed with the obvious amount of work that went into this mod, more work than any mod for any game I've ever played I think. Like if this were made by a developer I'd expect it to be like $40 DLC or something. Even the voice acting is varied and fairly passable - like you can usually tell when a character is from the mod but not always (which is partially a reflection on Bethesda's own in house quality anyway lol)

The parts I'm actually must frustrated with are just the lack of documentation about game mechanics - like how do I increase people's recreation / happiness. Recreational plots sort of seem like you need one person in a settlement since they get assigned to an individual as a 'hobby' but kinggaths video on the subject about SS1 doesn't seem to apply? I failed at googling the answer anyway and it's been long enough since I played original FO4 that I don't remember how to manage regular happiness anyway lol

Recreational plots say in the description that they can accommodate multiple settlers as they increase in level, up to 3. Not sure about the actual requirements for them to get up there, though. Somebody's hobby is either stat training or relaxing, and happiness goes up more when they're relaxing.

Basic human happiness is 80 - 20 for enough food, 20 for enough water, 20 for enough defense, 10 for a bed and 10 for a roof over the bed. :bethesda: means that often the "has a roof" calculation was done with an arbitrary amount of the settlement actually rendered to determine where the roofs were, so SS plots all assume roofs. Other happiness-producing items generate some number of "happiness points" which are averaged over the number of people in the settlement.

I think after some game time has passed the plot threshold to upgrade is 70/80 happiness for levels 2 and 3, and the only reason to go higher is to increase how fast happiness climbs or provide a buffer against shortages, because the calculated happiness value is treated as a target that the current happiness value will drift to, over time.

Then again there may be some secret level 4 shenanigans out there that need 90 happiness, I dunno. Just look for the red frowny face icons and curse your lack of urban planning, I guess?

SS2 is a beast and a hoot, even if it can't quite escape :bethesda:. I really like the simplified 4-resource cost system plots use, which let settlements require and produce "rare material" without bearing you aloft on a cushion of nuclear waste, but where you can still boost places up by scrapping trees/guns/raider harnesses/fine crystal drinkware to give them resources the industries aren't producing yet. It's also neat to have a cross-settlement tech tree instead of handling industrial upgrades on a settlement-by-settlement basis.

Also the supply of sensors feels well throttled even after you get the recipe - seeing a shipment of fiber optics out of Vault 81 had me emptying my pockets to take it home with me.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah I finally figured out that I needed to specify recreation instead of training for those plots, also apparently the bar type commercial plot provides general happiness as well?

How does linking settlements so they use each other's rare resources work? Is it just standard provisioners or do I need to build caravan municipal plots everywhere?

Also I haven't figured out how to make someone a mayor, whenever I try the only option available is Codsworth no matter if he's there or not.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

flightless greeb posted:

Yeah I finally figured out that I needed to specify recreation instead of training for those plots, also apparently the bar type commercial plot provides general happiness as well?

How does linking settlements so they use each other's rare resources work? Is it just standard provisioners or do I need to build caravan municipal plots everywhere?

Also I haven't figured out how to make someone a mayor, whenever I try the only option available is Codsworth no matter if he's there or not.

I think training recreation plots provides some happiness just not as much as the relaxation recreation plots. Cause I had a happiness problem with Taffington until one of the special characters talked about how bored they were so I plopped a few purple plots down, let the game decide what they were and Taffington's happiness just skyrocketed. Training plots also raise a settler's SPECIAL which may also be important because I think a settler's SPECIAL affects their output so a settler with 10 END will get a higher food rating out of agricultural plots than one with 1 END not to mention being able to use advanced plot types which require a SPECIAL stat of 5 or more.

Yeah you got it, a caravan service municipal plot will link up to a nearby settlement that has one as well. Although they have a limited range, so Sanctuary won't connect to the Castle. The 2x2, 1x1, and interior plots function the same so just whatever fits better into your settlement.

As far as I can tell the only people you can make mayor at the moment are all vanilla companions plus three others you get by progressing through the SS2 story. Although there are mods out already that adds in more eligible candidates, but make sure they are for SS2 and not SS1.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

flightless greeb posted:

In the base game, bars provide the most happiness but clinics and clothing stores also provide a little. Haven't gotten far enough to verify that's true for the respective commercial plots, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I think training recreation plots provides some happiness just not as much as the relaxation recreation plots. Cause I had a happiness problem with Taffington until one of the special characters talked about how bored they were so I plopped a few purple plots down, let the game decide what they were and Taffington's happiness just skyrocketed. Training plots also raise a settler's SPECIAL which may also be important because I think a settler's SPECIAL affects their output so a settler with 10 END will get a higher food rating out of agricultural plots than one with 1 END not to mention being able to use advanced plot types which require a SPECIAL stat of 5 or more.

Yes, this is definitely true. Old Paul is a beast.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PSA: to anyone playing this game for the first time or again after a long break, please use mods to replace all pipe guns and most of the other firearms. I can't tell you how much it's increased my enjoyment to be using guns that don't look like total poo poo.

I recommend Defenseguns, Defenseguns to pipe guns replacer, Mossburg 500 replacer, and the service rifle personally. But honestly you could replace them all, Bethesda really dropped the ball on the weapons in this game.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have to agree. Being able to take the stock off a gun to make it into a "pistol" is not the same thing as making a new weapon. The variety of guns is hugely lacking, which feels bad both to play against and to use.

Personally I am a big fan of the 10mm SMG, hunting shotgun, Mauser (aka Chinese Pistol) and Schofield, all of which spawn to varying degrees on raiders and gunners, without replacing the basic guns entirely. Makes early game looting a lot more rewarding, and makes the enemies more interesting to fight against. There are a couple weapons which do spawn on these enemies but incredibly rarely like the DKS-501 sniper, R91 assault rifle, and plasma cycler, and I wish those would show up more often on the enemy leveled lists too.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
It's apparently been 2 years since I've played FO4 so I have no idea what's recommended mod wise these days. Are there any good mod lists floating around? I finished up a New Vegas play through recently with Viva New Vegas and was looking for something similar but the same guy's Fallout 4 list was kinda short in comparison.

Baring a list, what are the recommended game play mods these days? I like adding in the survival aspects and prefer to make the combat less spongey; much more quick and visceral with a low TTK in both directions. I'm looking to use Sim Settlement 2, and would love anything that expands settlement building and customization.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Gonna shill for the combo of Horizon and Sim Settlements because I can't imagine playing without either. Plus the mod that makes your character oblivious to the actual main plot.

Don't think there's a patch for Sim2 yet though, so I'm holding off of a new run.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

Chronojam posted:

Gonna shill for the combo of Horizon and Sim Settlements because I can't imagine playing without either. Plus the mod that makes your character oblivious to the actual main plot.

Don't think there's a patch for Sim2 yet though, so I'm holding off of a new run.

I think some comments earlier were saying Horizon likely had a new version coming out pretty soon didn't it? Maybe I'll just wait for that to drop haha

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Opals25 posted:

I think some comments earlier were saying Horizon likely had a new version coming out pretty soon didn't it? Maybe I'll just wait for that to drop haha

It's had a new version coming soon for like six months at this point and the author is mostly radio silent. Might as well jump in now

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

Zore posted:

It's had a new version coming soon for like six months at this point and the author is mostly radio silent. Might as well jump in now

Haha, so some thing never change. It sounds like Sim Settlements 2 and Horizons likely wont play well together; unless I'm missing it it looks like a patch isn't out yet. Is there an alternative to Horizons that may provide the hardcore/combat aspects without interfering with settlements?

Or is Horizons (or SS2 bad enough) good enough I should just use Sim Settlements 1 with a patch?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
New Year and here are some new and interesting mods that have shown up these last few weeks, like always we begin with the pain givers.

Weapons!

Springfield M1903 bolt action rifle
Mauser Karabiner 98 kurz aka Kar98k
Bren Gun with a mini mod that gives it attachments and another that adds .303 rounds to the game.
Dardick Tround Pistol
IMI Gali Rifle
Ruger Mini-14
P-94 Plasma Rifle
Soviet Assault Pack PPSh & TT=33

Hunting Rifle HD Retexture set better textures for the games default hunting rifle.

Synth Ghoul Relay Grenades V1

Armor & Clothing!

The Warrior's gang colors

New features & improvements!

Sanguinaire (Revised Edition R2 - The Ultimate Fallout 4 Vampire Experience)
Hunter of the Commonwealth
Encumberance Rebalance - Run - No Fast Travel - Reduced AP Regen
Memento - Nate's Razor
PreWar Binoculars - Call in Fire Support addon
Skeet Shooting
Gain Some Weight WIP
Better Sleep and Wait Menu
Armor clipping overhaul ( Vanilla . AWKCR . AE )
Intimidation Perk Extend - Lore Friendly Improvements
Dress Up Dead Bodies for Fallout 4
- Gun For Hire (BETA)

Rock Boulders HD
Green Goo - Now in Other Colors

Age of Airships 2 This mini-DLC sized quest mod will provide the chance to visit pre-war world, craft/buy & drive periodic Cars and Tanks, experience a time-traveling questline and experience an alternative end to lone survivor's story.

Housing

Immersive Decor

Boylston Club Appartment
Personal Shelter
Little Pink Houses
Vault X-01 - Player Home

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Dude, I'm running RDO dailies, Division 2 Season stuff, and OCD'ing CP2077.

If I have to reinstall FO4 for "spawn 100-120 Ghouls" obnoxiousness, I'll never sleep.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What's the go to mod for overhauling The Institute? More so the location/building than the overall Faction

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What's the go to mod for overhauling The Institute? More so the location/building than the overall Faction

There is none.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I saw a mod that removed fog from it once but don't remember where.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I just started a new run of Fallout 4 specifically to build settlements. Once I had plopped my first Sum Settlement plots I learned that there was a Sim Settlement 2 now.

Is it stable enough to be enjoyed yet?
Can I just delete my Sim Settlement 1 settlement, unload the mod, and put Sim Settlement 2 on?
Anyone know if it's compatible with VR (SS1 was only compatible until version 4.2)?

E: so apparently getting it to run with fo4vr is janky and maybe I'll postpone that until my next playthrough

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 12, 2021

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

I played an entire game with Sim settlements 2 so it's fairly stable I'd say. Ran into a few bugs but none I couldn't overcome with forum searches. Don't know anything about VR tho.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I tried giving Horizon a go but holy hell is it difficult. I never did play Survival mode and was more or less looking for a fun rehash so I didn't play just another playthrough. May just opt instead of a bunch of mods instead of a brutal overhaul. I will give that it is quite well done and has some interesting additions to it, but overall much more difficulty than I was looking for.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Horizon isn't for everybody. For anyone giving it a shot, keep in mind that skipping an engagement, hiding/running, and even dying and needing to wake up at a camp are part of the new experience, especially low level. Feels awkward at first when you're used to face-tanking every battle.

For sadists, there's an even harder (though less supported) mode it calls Desolation.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

flightless greeb posted:

I played an entire game with Sim settlements 2 so it's fairly stable I'd say. Ran into a few bugs but none I couldn't overcome with forum searches. Don't know anything about VR tho.

I will say that sometimes if you build a settlement up enough, SS2 can get very overzealous about getting its plot upgrades going, so much so that the scripts pile up and crash the game. Generally I drop a safety save before I head back to a big place, and things have worked out for me when I stopped just at the edge of visual range and played a game of Red Menace to give things time to run through.

It's operated at a pretty reasonable pace so far, and I can actually bundle a lot of the stuff the main SS2 quest asks me to do in with other early-game quests, like clearing the library for Daisy or finding the lost BoS patrol. And of course I never know when I'm going to find some new body at a settlement with something for me to do.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

For SS2 you want to go nuts on only one of the Sanctuary / Red Rocket locations and leave the other fallow, because going beefy on both at once is a recipe for disaster. May also apply to the Abernathy farm (?) just to the southwest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It does; those three settlements are pretty much the Devil's Triangle and you should only focus on one of them as a proper settlement unless you want to court engine instability.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
So i'm playing again, but now realising the long loading times are due to them being tied to the limited framerate. Did anyone figure out how to have limitless frames while loading and still have the limit while playing so it doesn't CTD?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So I have been playing a TON of Horizon, lowered the difficulty and I am enjoying it much more. It's got a hefty settlement system with Architect which is pretty cool but I've needed help with a wiki for most of it lol.

Anyways, I am wondering about two things which likely affect vanilla basegame players too.

1. Anyway to fix the pop up messages that appear on the top right from not disappear after a while? I feel like it happens on PS4 as well after you play for long enough.

2. What is the best FPS fix? Certain outdoor environments dip me into single digits at points and my PC just shouldn't do that.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Party In My Diapee posted:

So i'm playing again, but now realising the long loading times are due to them being tied to the limited framerate. Did anyone figure out how to have limitless frames while loading and still have the limit while playing so it doesn't CTD?

There is a F4SE plugin for that somewhere on the Nexus site.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

dragonshardz posted:

Great, thanks. He fixed my graphic card crashing with the weapon debris setting too. His mod should be way more prominent on that site: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44798

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Weapons!

Japanese Type 4 Garand
Type 99 Light Machine Gun
Welrod Mk II
Danuvia 43M
IceStorm's GRL45 Grenade Launcher
Frontier Revolver
WWII Weapon Replacers - Springfield Armory M1A
Black Ops 3 - M16
IMBEL MD2
Miniguns Rebirth all the miniguns from the previous games plus better miniguns.
Select Balisong
Pickaxe
Capital Wasteland Auto Axe

Armor and clothing!

2000 AD Enforcer Themed Set
Army Helmet Redux allows masks and the helmet to be worn at the same time.
Utility coveralls - Retexture and Customization
Tactical Jumpsuits
Katie's wardrobe - Wrench Monkey Outfit
MW Domino Lynx

Features and gameplay improvements!

Ammo Carry Limit
Alternate Resources
Much Better 3rd Person Animations Tactics
Instant Heal and no stimpak animation
Tactical Reload
Bye Bye Clouds
Weapon Firing Mode Framework Beta
Murder_Death_Scream Murder Death Scream! Adds new pain and death grunts to humanoid enemies like Raiders, Gunners and Brotherhood of Steel.

And well, the rest!

Fallout 3 First Aid Box Replacer
DC and West Coast Supermutants
FallEvil - Zombie Dogs
Deathclaw Gauntlet Tweak makes it less heavy.
Marowski 's Chem Lab Redux
The Ballistic Series a high definition repainting of various rifle class ballistic weapons featured in fallout 4.
The Mercenaries of Team Fortress 2 (and Saxton Hale) Character Presets

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

Good to see this thread still going :-)

Heres the thing i use

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10283 (Load Accelerator)

It's honestly staggering how much time this saves, like seriously

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I feel like every time I start putting together a mod build I run into armorsmith/weaponsmith and the 5 different mutually exclusive keyword mods and immediately lose all interest

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

I feel like every time I start putting together a mod build I run into armorsmith/weaponsmith and the 5 different mutually exclusive keyword mods and immediately lose all interest

I'm in a similar boat. Everytime I start figuring out mods I remember that the only decent item sorting mod that's updated at all anymore is VIS-G, which changes the names of all the weapons for the sake of 'immersion'. It's dumb and I hate it. 99% of the time I just want to kill things, loot stuff, and build, I don't that the weapon has a name that's 'historically accurate' or whatever.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You only need this one though? Or am i misunderstanding

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6091 Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Talking about mods like VIS, VIS-G, and the other sorting mods that make your inventory better organized.